[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /medschool/? :)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: punished todd.jpg (38 KB, 615x347) Image search: [Google]
punished todd.jpg
38 KB, 615x347
Who here /medschool/? :)
>>
File: 1444906990822.jpg (58 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
1444906990822.jpg
58 KB, 653x490
>>24113746
I'm sorry I didn't pre order, tom
>>
/intern/ here. Where is the nurse sex affair I was promised?
>>
>tippy toes todd
PREORDER IT NOW
>>
>>24113783
>tfw still too socially anxious to ask out any of the nurses

some are super nice and cute, I have a feeling they'd say yes. Or even the physios. Although if they say no, it would be awkward as fuck every day seeing them...
>>
seriously what the fuck
I think we have like 10 or 20 med students and doctors here. why does the medical field attracts us?
>>
As an engineering student and stem elitist, medicine is one of the few other careers I respect a great deal.

Most people can't conceive how much work it takes to be in engineering, but I know that you med students know these shitty feels precisely. Stay up bros
>>
File: 1445816195516.jpg (33 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1445816195516.jpg
33 KB, 480x454
>>24113746
me, fucking cannot force myself to start studying already. people seriously are gonna die at some point in my career, because I spent my time shitposting on r9k instead of studying
>>
File: 1446022386072.jpg (39 KB, 426x463) Image search: [Google]
1446022386072.jpg
39 KB, 426x463
>>24114515

>engineering
>work

If by "work" you mean putting in the bare minimum effort just to make it to class and not fall asleep or daydream the entire class, maybe.
>>
Med student. Have nurse students hit on me all the time. Touching me all the time and asking what my plans are for the weekend. Never act on it though
>>
>>24114604
drink some coffee mate, it'll give you motivation. 2 cups should do.
>>
>>24114716
>tfw one other med student with me, nicest girl ever
>we're on the same team for the whole year
>she's super cute, i'm actually confident around her
>ask her what she got up to on the weekend
>"oh my boyfriend and i bla bla bla bla
>>
>>24114604
You sound like you did med for money not because of interest/passion. Hope you don't burn out tho.
>>
>>24114515
>Medfags currently running a train on your "virgin" gf
>medicine is one of the few other careers I respect a great deal.

What a C-UCK
>>
>>24114753
That sucks anon. But our line of work builds confidence. Talking to patients and whatnot. One say it'll work.
>>
>>24114823
I feel so confident when talking to 80 year old men who can't open their own bowel.
>>
>>24114803
I chose medicine, because I wanted to impress my gf. She left me a few years later, mostly because I couldn't find enough time for her as I was studying so much.
I mean, I like medicine, it's interesting most of the time, but depression and alcoholism doesn't really help me study
>>
>>24114904
Gotta start easy. But Every now and then there's a hot girl to examine. I've been hit on by patients but it would be unethical to act on it :(
>>
>>24114971
>tfw when I did vaginal exams on 20 year old girls with two hot female interns watching

was sweating so much i thought i was gonna go to prison
>>
>>24114823
>>24114971
>mfw I'm still on the verge of spilling spageddi when talking to young attractive female patients

Luckily I hardly ever see any of them.
>>
>>24113783
/intern/ here with qt nurse gf, shits cash man
>>
>>24114423

because it's the only mayor my shitty parents would pay for

it was either this or nothing
>>
>tfw want to go to vet school, but the thought of student loans scares the shit out of me
>>
>>24114971
>>24115086

Don't believe their lies. Attractive people don't get sick. It's always fat fucks, construction workers, old people or children below the age of 2. Pregnant women aren't attractive.
>>
>>24115041
A cute girl once started moaning when i did a bimanual examination. Dunno how on point my pokerface was while i was trying to hide my boner
>>
>>24113746
>>24113799
If only pre-ordering Fallout 4 dulled the pain...
>>
I wouldn't recommend med school to my worst enemy. Shit has the worst working conditions out of any profession. You're basically a legal slave and they don't pay you that well either.
>>
>>24114423
cause they are asians.
>>
>>24115160
The hottest patients I've ever seen were 18-20 year olds with either cholecystits, appendicitis, and asthma. Some of them were in there with their parents when I was doing abdominal exam. It literally took every fiber of my being to stay looking calm and confident.
>>
>>24115269

The two cutest patients I've had: One had dengue and the other was hit and run by a motorbike. Light head injuries.
>>
>>24115269
cutest patient i ever had was this cute chinese exchange student who was having an appendicectomy.

her english was so shit i could barely take a history from her

>tfw i got to put a urinary catheter in her before the surgery
>>
>>24115260
What? Med school is the best.
>>
I wanted to hit on a cute 20 year old with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, but was too beta to do anything. Would it be weird if I added her on facebook now? I still remember her name
>>
>tfw didn't bother with high school biology or volunteering to build houses in central america
>tfw thought all medicine was like family medicine ("okay grandpa, let's see that ass wart now!") so I never seriously considered it until it was too late
>tfw stuck in law school now
>tfw I will never be a radiologist making $300k starting working 35 hours/week
>tfw all the girls here are super bitchy
>>
>>24115400

> tfw i got to put a urinary catheter in her before the surgery

Did you fap afterwards?

>>24115409

It's only half decent if you're a fucking normie. You wouldn't believe the stories I hear from interns fucking other interns, teachers, nurses and vice versa. The whole clinic is a cheatfest. If you're just there to work and fuck off without a care for anybody else it gets really dull after a while.

I haven't had a day off in two years.
>>
>>24115477

Why would you want to hit on someone with cancer? You know she's going to die soon / have an extremely shitty quality of life for the rest of her pathetic existence, right?
>>
File: 1372654326647s.jpg (8 KB, 246x232) Image search: [Google]
1372654326647s.jpg
8 KB, 246x232
>>24115269
>on ob/gyn
>17 year old middle eastern girl comes in for a hymenectomy
>she's with her family
>I have to do the pre-op h&p
>nervous as shit
>it's probably obvious
>she keeps giggling at me throughout but not in a malicious way
>feel embarrassed
>>
>>24115490
How're you liking it?

Just finished reading pic related. Between that book and all of my other research it just doesn't look like it'd be a good investment. But idk.
>>
>>24115492
yeah i went home and found her fb and fapped to her profile pic.
>>
File: 12131632136413.jpg (50 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
12131632136413.jpg
50 KB, 512x384
>>24115540

> hymenectomy
>>
File: 1324165421645214.png (16 KB, 691x597) Image search: [Google]
1324165421645214.png
16 KB, 691x597
> midriff/navel fetish
> tfw cute patient with abdominal pain
>>
>>24115540
middle eastern girls are such whores

>middle eastern married couple in clinic
>husband come in cause he has penile discharge
>doctor starts questioning wife
>she refuses any tests or investigations, starts crying
>>
>>24115674
>tfw find cute patient with tight abdo
>she's not in for abdominal symptoms
>ask her if i can practice examination anyway
>>
>>24115518
I know it's a bad idea, but idk I just really liked her. maybe I just need someone as miserable as me
>>
File: 134216452164214.jpg (40 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
134216452164214.jpg
40 KB, 610x400
> medschool

not even once
>>
>>24115721
that is a fucking retarded idea
do not do it
I repeat, do not do it
>>
>>24115682
>rotating through ER
>two hijabi girls come in
>one has a rash on her arm
>nurse is in with her
>walk in with the attending
>they start asking if there's a female doctor instead
>nurse gets pissed and says, "no, he's the best. if you want someone else you can go to another hospital"
>i step out of my own accord
>as they're walking out I hear them talking
>"I'll hook up with anyone when I'm drunk"

Literal trash
>>
>>24115490
Holy shit, just looked up radiologist pay. Medfags make a shit ton of money. Whats the best courses to take to get money like that?
>>
>>24115587

The best advice I can give is
>Go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, AND, you are well aware of what being a lawyer is like

The majority of people enroll for alternate reasons. Many finished an arts undergrad and didn't know what else to do. Others yet want to work in social justice and mistakenly think that moderately-well-paying jobs are waiting for them upon graduation. And as for me, I enrolled to delay entering the real world by 3 years.

These are all bad reasons. For me, law school itself is enjoyable, but practice itself is another story. I've had a couple summer internships with a BIGLAW corporate firm, which is a very strange form of dystopia. Most people working there fake an upbeat, client-focused personality but you can tell they're all depressed insects inside. Pontificating over the word "reasonable" and paying inhuman levels of attention to detail with respect to verbiage or grammar does that to you. Trying to generate as many negative consequences of a deal in order to build in contingencies does that to you. And you have to pretend that you enjoy doing the aforementioned for 60-80 hours per week if you want to become partner, in a cut-throat environment where coworkers will sabotage your work to get ahead.

But hey, that's just my take. Some people, for reasons I have yet to understand, really feel at peace in that sort of world.

And of course, you should only go to a decent school. If you don't get into a top ranking school, or one of the best schools in the state/city with strong alumni connections, then don't bother going at all. Your odds of securing work which will breakeven on your tuition/student loan investment by age 30 are slim. Of course, this all depends upon what country you're working in. If you're in USA, read this paragraph twice. If you're in another european country with a high ratio of open law positions to law graduate counts, then maybe things aren't so bad structurally.

In any event, good luck
>>
File: 1414412655926.jpg (238 KB, 1337x1289) Image search: [Google]
1414412655926.jpg
238 KB, 1337x1289
>medschool
How pleb can you be?

>It's hard!
No, it's just rote memorization on steroids. Now Physics, Math, and Engineering, those actually take smarts.
>You help people!
You help old, sick, shitty people one at a time. Engineers help a shit ton of people with their inventions.
>You make a lot of money!
At what cost? Oh yeah, college debt and having NO personal hours. Not worth it.

STEM is the true masterrace (no, medicine isn't stem)
>>
>>24115803

not even once

> drunk fat bitch with political job gets assmad when her retard kid with a light domestic dog bite on her hand doesn't get immediate attention
> MEDSCHOOL IS FUN YOU GUISE
>>
>>24115109
>because it's the only mayor my shitty parents would pay for
Learn your Js versus your Ys back in Mexico. You can help treat the Wall workers when they fall off because it's going to be so fucking tall.
>>
>>24115477
You know that's a violation of HIPAA ;)
>>
I always knew med schoolers were perverts.
>>
File: contemplative pepe.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
contemplative pepe.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>24115948
Thanks. I've interned for a solo practicioner and another, smaller firm and I think I might be able to do something like that. I could grind through several years of 60-80 hr weeks if it meant having a moderately successful solo practice but my top choice would be to work for the government as a PA or prosecutor, enroll in the gubermint 10 yr loan forgiveness program and utilize that other program (idk what it's called) that'll shrink my monthly loan payments to 10% of my income. But desu I don't think it'd be a great idea to go into Law School expecting to take advantage of a loan forgiveness program that could change at any time and effectively ruin my life in the process (that is assuming I'd even be able to secure work as a lawyer).

I have a stable full time job right now with plenty of opportunity for growth so becoming a lawyer will probably remain a pipe dream but damn, I hung out last night with a hs friend who's currently enrolled as a 1l at a top 30 school (we both did our undergrad there) and its so fucking frustrating.

If I had been born 30 years earlier...
>>
>>24116300
*Meant to say PD, don't know what a PA is
>>
>>24116014
What the fuck is going on in that webm?

Do people really think that assault will make the doctor see them faster?
>>
>>24115948
My friend's dad is a personal injury lawyer and just won a $20 million dollar case last year against a major corporation. How does that work?
>>
>>24116411
How much money did he get from his client?
>>
Someone want to answer a few questions about med school for an undergrad considering applying?

>What's the workload like? Not just in terms of difficulty, but how it's actually divided up and what it consists of.
>What are the social dynamics like at med school compared to high school and the undergrad years?
>Anything in particular I should just know?
>How do you decide what you're ultimately going to specialize in?
>Anyone know what the med schools re like in the Pacific Northwest?
>>
>>24115956
>it's just rote memorization on steroids.
>memorizing 100 pages in a single night
>not hard

>Physics, Math, and Engineering, those actually take smarts.
>sitting down to understand one formula per week
>hard

You're clearly mad. Have fun making 1/3 of what doctors make, if that.
>>
>>24116443
I think he got like 1/3, but there was like an extra finders fee to someone afterward
>>
>>24116493
>implying you actually memorize 100 pages of notes in a single night
med school is fucking easy and you know it
>>
>>24116300
Solo practitioner work seems like a really cozy later-in-life career. When I'm in my 50s I'm likely going to move to some smaller, vacation town to open up a full service firm and help neighbors with their impaired driving charges or wills & estates matters.

Prosecution was another area I was interested in for a while. Hours on government side are much, much better. Formally, you're probably expected to clock 40 hours per week, and in actuality that only ends up being 45-50. Nothing like corporate or even criminal defence when you have to be on call at 3AM on weekdays.

And criminal law seems like more meaningful work which you can reflect on and feel good about for your contribution. "Prosecutorial discretion" means that you as a prosecutor pursue whatever charge with whatever intensity and sought after sentence that you feel fits the crime. This is unlike any other form of lawyering I can think of where your duty is to maximize your client's self-interest, regardless of what you personally feel is appropriate in the circumstances. Not that I don't understand why things work that way, but aligning your personal and career sets of ethics must be nice.

As for loans, I'm no prophet, but I think its a safe bet to expect student loan forgiveness programs to expand, if anything. The political momentum surrounding student debt issues has only been moving to the left. And if you do apply, make sure to do your research surrounding scholarships, and grants as there may be quite a few which only receive a couple applications from students. But yes, law school carries a lot more risk than it did before all these low-tier schools looking for a quick cash-out faculty decided to flood the market with ill-prepared law graduates.

Maybe just start by taking some baby steps. Start practicing your LSAT, for one. And don't be discouraged by your first score. My first LSAT I ever took was a 155, but by exam day I scored a 173. It is not an aptitude test; it is learnable.
>>
Nope. Completely fucked my education. Now i'm 23 nearly 24 wondering what the fuck to do with mylife.
>>
>>24116600
>notes

I was talking about textbook pages. If we're talking notes like powerpoint slides and shit it's easily 300+ per night. You're literally fucking retarded if you think anything about med school is easy.
>>
>>24116642
I'm literally a fucking doctor and i think med school is easy
>>
>>24116642
>You're literally fucking retarded if you think med school is bard

FTFY
>>
File: bard.png (280 KB, 434x700) Image search: [Google]
bard.png
280 KB, 434x700
>>24116685
i kno rite???
>>
>>24116669
>I'm literally a fucking troll and i think med school is easy

On the off chance you're actually serious, are you a 3rd rate family "doctor" or psychiatrist?
>>
>>24116750
No, i'm not a 3rd rate family med doc nor am I psych.

If medical students were actually "memorizing 100 pages a day" then you'd be done with studying for step 1 and CK in 2 weeks total.
>>
>>24116411
>>24116443
>>24116521

USA torts and class actions are unlike any other type of law in any other country I can think of. With enough luck, you could get something like 20% of a $500mil class action and then decide to retire the next day. It's obscene. Meanwhile, the 'victim' client might end up with peanuts after everyone else gets their claim at the trough. Thank the expansion of "punitive damages".

>http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/12/11/with-consumer-class-actions-lawyers-are-mostly-paid-to-do-nothing/

If you're more interested in this area, then watch the movie "Hot Coffee" - a documentary about tort reform centered around the case where that old lady made $3 million for spilling McDonald's coffee on her lap.

But its high intensity work. And some corporate/commercial cases, for example, can take up to 10 years from start to finish. My mentor at my firm went through 3 wives and 4 residences before he finished one case he started as a first year associate. Personal injury varies. A lot of the time, if the defendant is a major corporation, they're going to be settling, and for quite a nice sum. That might only take a span of several months.
>>
>first year in college
>already panicking about a non 4.0 GPA keeping me from getting into med school
The next 4 years are going to blow
>>
>>24116832
You dont need a 4.0 to get into med school, it's not that hard. a 3.7 and 35 on the mcat will basically guarantee you to get in SOMEWHERE.
>>
File: dumbfuck fatty femanon.png (891 KB, 821x805) Image search: [Google]
dumbfuck fatty femanon.png
891 KB, 821x805
>>24116489
>Anyone know what the med schools re like in the Pacific Northwest?

UW Seattle is going to be your best bet. Best school in the region.

>>24116601
Yeah, the solo practitioner guy I interned with spent a good quarter to a third of the year vacationing- mostly in the third world (Buenos Aires, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and SE Asia mostly). He also had several credit cards set up to handle most of his day to day expenses and he was able to use those miles to travel at a pretty steep discount. Still, I imagine that getting to that point- especially in today's market- would be a herculean task. That lawyer did his undergrad at Cornell, his first two years of law school at Northwestern and his last at Berkeley. He also graduated in the 70's or 80's so he got to take advantage of that boom.

The 40 hr a work week is a huge motivating factor for working for the government as well. I would also like to practice criminal law and not having to worry about the business aspects (esp. collecting payment from actual criminals) would be really nice.

I've never been a fan of tv court dramas but when I was in middle school I read pic related and that was pretty inspirational. I understand that as a criminal defense or prosecuting attorney most of my time would be spent cutting plea deals for low level shit but still.

And glad to hear about the lsat. I took a practice one a while back and scored a 153 with no practice (by way of comparison I scored a 740 and a 780 on my SAT verbal section on my first and second try respectively with zero prep so I went in with what turned out to be unrealistically high expectations). But yeah, if I can get in a good 6-7 months of really solid practice, esp. with the logic games I should be in a good place. Depending on where I am in life I should be able to sit for the 2016 Sept./Oct. lsat or the 2017 feb. one and shoot out a few apps for the 2017-18 year. See what turns up and go from there.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>24116893
3.7 is also worrying. Granted I'm a bit above that as of right now but still
Work ethic is my problem
I get into the top 5 percentile of every standardized test and ace every single paper, I'm just shot at studying or homework. I just don't know how to do either.
>>
>>24116820
Probably 3rd rate IM then. All they need are warm bodies to fill their residency spots. You're absolutely not in anything that's actually competitive. And the act of memorizing is different than having memorized. FA step 1 is like 700 pages and I read through it like 5x before my first step.
>>
>>24117045
I'm at a faily compeitive IM program with a good mix of people, the average medschool that they're coming from is around UC Davis

what would you say is a decent step 1 or CK score, just curious?
>>
File: 132416452164214.webm (2 MB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
132416452164214.webm
2 MB, 720x450
>>24116395

Yes.

MED SCHOOL IS FUN GUISE :D YOU HELP PEOPLE!
>>
File: Leibowitz.png (433 KB, 364x535) Image search: [Google]
Leibowitz.png
433 KB, 364x535
>>24116936
Fuck, forgot that I was going to include a specific pic there.

Meant to put http://www.amazon.com/Courtroom-The-Story-Samuel-Leibowitz/dp/0374527423 as my pic.

Also, as an on again off again /pol/lack after learning that I'm either half or a quarter jewish from a distant family member I feel like I have a duty to utilize my kike magic for the good of the Teutonic and anglo races
>>
>>24117161
>>24116014
Spotted the guy who failed his mcat
>>
>>24117106
For people who actually worked their asses off,
over 240 step 1
over 250 step 2
>>
File: 1441664598966.gif (281 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
1441664598966.gif
281 KB, 500x301
>Not going for Healthcare Admin
>>
File: 132416452164214.jpg (405 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
132416452164214.jpg
405 KB, 1456x2592
>>24117220

> drunk moron gets 1in cut on finger
> stitching him up
> guy is almost asleep
> dumb potato girlfriend comes up an starts asking retarded questions "omg who did this to you that's gonna leave a scar"
> drunk guy goes batshit insane
> starts screaming at the top of his lungs and literally rolling around on the floor
> image related all that fucking blood from a 1in cut

BUT MED SCHOOL IS FUN!!!!
>>
>>24117289
i got mid 230's on 1 and high 250's on step 2 without studying very much
just goes to show how easy it is to cruise by in med school and still do decently well

i knew i wanted to be a hospitalist from the get go so i didn't work very hard.

would i have worked harder if i wanted to do optho or derm? probably, but not by much since med school is pretty fucking easy
>>
>>24117358
It must really suck to have failed that test. What do you do with your life now?
>>
>>24115409
The money depends from the type of field, from the sector (public or private), from wheter you are prone to be a criminal and i mean criminal like falsify stuff not homicide, wheter you can or canr work both in the public and the private sector togheter (here in italy you cant unless under certain circumstances like heavy taxation) and lets not forget the meda u will prescribe, you got to have friends in the pharmaceuticals so you can arrange deals like "i prescribe this medicine for glaucoma instead of others to every patient with this condition" and they will give you back stuff or money, but stuff its better cause it leaves no marks for the authority to look for.

Sorry for the english but in a little exhausted today
>>
>>24117358
Wtf?

I've gotten plenty of small cuts and I've never seen a doctor about any of them.

Slap a band aid on that shit and let it heal up on its own. Fuck, I didn't even go to the doctor when I got sucker punched by some big ass drug dealer. Just went home and slept it off. Had to go to a dentist the next day because I got a tooth dislodged (Still pissed as fuck about that, way more trouble than it should've been).

But yeah, shit healed right up and now I have a little scar under my lower lip.

Shit happens.
>>
>>24117428
what did YOU get on your mcat?
>>
>>24117358
>>24116014
> Being a doctor in a 3rd world latin american country

theres your problem
>>
>>24114753
I know this exact feel. Incredibly qt, Incredibly smart, great sense of humour, the works. She tells me how much I remind her of her boyfriend
>>
File: Happy-Sad-Frog-06.jpg (27 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Sad-Frog-06.jpg
27 KB, 400x388
>26 yo
>went through med school
>almost everyone found their life partner during the process
>still a KV

I want to die
>>
File: 134216452164216421.jpg (262 KB, 1830x1533) Image search: [Google]
134216452164216421.jpg
262 KB, 1830x1533
>>24117456

who gives a fuck nigga you want more stories or not

> hey doc some boxes fell on my chest like 2 months ago and I'm having some trouble breathing
>>
>>24114805
Medicine is like 85% normies, 10% uber-Chads and 5% robots.
>>
>>24117710
how much did you thora out
>>
>>24115086
>mfw young females come in the ER complaining about chest pains

Giggity giggity.
>>
>>24114904
After a million rectal exams and catheter insertions, you won't give a fuck about talking to girls.

Flirting on girls is another chapter, though.
>>
>>24117757

nothing because it was cancer and I just referred to the IM and Surgery specialties

I gud doktor
>>
>>24115220
I bet you did it without any indication for doing it. You just said "I always perform this examination on my patients to not miss anything".
>>
>>24117734
>became friends with resident
>he invites to play some basketball with some of the other residents
>go
>there's about a dozen people there
>all tall, attractive, and in shape
>they can all literally play every sport
>tossing around perfect spirals with a football before playing
>played some soccer afterward
>literally all Chad incarnates with added intelligence
>start to wonder how much partying these guys have done and how many bitches they've fucked throughout their lives
>>
>>24115945
But working as a radiologist is mostly being an office kek. Go for some kind of surgery if you want to become Chad (general surgery is an exception).
>>
>>24115956
I agree with you. 85-90% of sicknesses are purely self inflicted. 85-90% of patients have serious entitlement issues.
>>
I'm a first year undergraduate at a STEM oriented CUNY and was wondering how you all have fared without having the need to help people as a motivational factor. I just want to go into a lucrative career field that incorporates my interest in bio/chem/medicine and it feels like that's uncommon.
>>
MEDSCHOOL IS FUCKING SHIT

The 1% of patients that are nice and grateful doesn't make up for the 99% other ones that are entitled little shits badmouthing you and the health system because they can't elect a non-corrupt representative worth shit.

You get paid in cents and are a slave to your institution. Oh, you wanna quit? No worries there's already 200 other assholes ready to take your spot :) They won't complain about the salary because they're Indian or Chinese lol.
>>
>>24118131
The fat entitled bitch meme is reeaaal.
>>
>>24117609
Yea but they are normies or Chads. The classmates who seemed like robots all dropped out half way. I was the only one left.
>>
>>24117435
This is what happens when you give niggers access to healthcare that they don't have to pay for.
>>
>>24116600

medfag here

Medschool aint easy but it doesn't require much intelligence to make it through. In fact the more cerebral, thoughtful and research minded types tend to find a lot of it dull as shit.

Ideal medical student has 1) great memory 2) respect for arbitrary authority 3) little desire to understand the nuances of subjects 4) ability to study subjects regardless of interest in them.

These properties are not those of a good doctor, it is important to make clear.

Also, I agree that physics/maths requires a greater degree of insight and application at the college level. However, there are skills required as a good doctor which pure scientists don't need to be successful -- confidence, social skills, empathy, good hand-eye coordination and the ability to balance multiple, imperfect data sources/types to come to a practical solution to help someone.
>>
>>24118469

> social skills

this so fucking much

I don't consider myself a good doctor but making the patient believe something even if you know it's complete bullshit or you simply aren't entirely sure yourself but you make it sound like you're 100% certain gets you off a lot of shit.
>>
File: 1439691762026.png (56 KB, 275x281) Image search: [Google]
1439691762026.png
56 KB, 275x281
>first year of med school
>already losing hair really fast
>>
>>24118630
lmao you better get on finasteride, cause first year is the easiest to be honest lad
>>
>>24118932
not that Anon, but I'm afraid to get on fin. not because of the ED or sexual sides, but the thought of even deeper depression and brain fog terrifies the fuck out of me. I would be truly fucked if all my motivation were gone.
>>
Any Dental or Physician Assistant students here?

Being a traditional doctor these days is absolutely not worth the hassle of dealing with intrusive insurance companies, MRAs and being forced tom spend more time typing on a computer than performing actual medical duties.
>>
>>24119063

what the fuck is a physician assistant?
>>
File: 132161625345.jpg (49 KB, 714x512) Image search: [Google]
132161625345.jpg
49 KB, 714x512
/freshman/ here, already drowning in bribes from pharma companies. i feel like i'm starting to make it.

how much do you have to pay for med school in murrica? it's practically free where i live but the entrance exam is very tough.
>>
>>24119120
PAs work under supervision of an MD office and perform roughly the same duties. They have their own patients, perform exams, make diagnoses, give treatment, prescribe medication etc. The main difference between a PA and an MD is that PAs are not authorized to perform major procedures like surgeries, but can assist with them.

PA school is ~2 years and starting salaries are about 90k
>>
>>24119428
what the fuck. in which country is that legal?
>>
>>24119516
USA.

UK, Canada and the Netherlands have their own versions of this too, but under different names

U mad, friend?
>>
File: Doc_Feels.png (108 KB, 973x1289) Image search: [Google]
Doc_Feels.png
108 KB, 973x1289
>>24113746
>tfw clerkship soon
>>
>>24119674
why would I be? are you retarded?
>>
How important are people skills in med school?

Please respond
>>
>>24119955
Not very much at all unless you're going into primary care bullshit. In which case it's all people skills and no real medicine involved.
>>
>>24119955
not really. I'm antisocial and talk without emotion, like a literal robot. still doing okay.
>>
>>24119120
They're basically like residents but with no hope of ever progressing to becoming an actual doctor someday. They do all the bitch work for doctors and then the doctors just sign off after making corrections.
>>
>>24119890
because your uses of "what the fuck" in each post made you sound a bit flustered is all
>>
Preparing for interviews. Any good answer to this question?

What are you looking forward to the least in residency?
>>
>>24119052
I've been using minoxidil. I think it's been working ok. Was $50 for a years supply on ebay so I figured why the fuck not. Hairs been thinning for about a year now, but I think it's stable now. No glaring, obvious bald spots at least
>>
>>24120049
what are the main differences in residency vs. full doctorship? besides not having anyone higher up to report to?
>>
>>24120064
I'm a different Anon. Only wrote to you once. it just seemed mind boggling for me that people without and MD are allowed to prescribe drugs and examine patients. seems pretty retarded to be honest.
>>
Feels good not falling for the STEM meme.

I listened to the "learn a trade" advice and took it one step further and studied Construction Management.

1 year out and earning 85k as a jr project manager

Don't fall for the meme guys.

Go do the math guys for medicine, You earn as much as a school teacher.

Only difference is you work more hours

http://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/salary-of-doctors/
>>
>tfw Swede and my med education is free
I hope the system lasts another 4 years. All I need before I can take my license and get the fuck out of this sinking hellhole.
>>
>>24120071
Knowing that some of your patients will die, many in very saddening ways, and that youre completely helpless in saving them
>>
>>24120163
That's pretty good. Thanks man.
>>
>>24120111
yeah, minox is good but it won't solve the dht issue. ketoconazole helps. been using nizoral every day for some time. I think it stopped it, even got some regrowth. my hair is fucking dry though, but hairwax solves the issue.
>>
>>24114423
I like treating people, to be honest
>>
>>24120160
where would you go? i was actually planning to go to sweden once i get my license
>>
>>24120157
>doing it for the money
it's a passion for most of us
>>
>>24115109
iktf familia. exact same situation. hate it but too scared to quit and get kicked out of my parent's house
>>
>>24119317
Belgium bro?
>>
File: 1338698317946.png (91 KB, 594x411) Image search: [Google]
1338698317946.png
91 KB, 594x411
>>24120346
nope. my pic implied my homeland.
>>
>>24120280
How is anything mentioned above a passion?

People only get into medicine because they believe it's a ticket into upper class, respect and being able to show off.

But in reality it's just a ticket to middle class, debt and loss of youth.
>>
>>24114423
I enjoy watching normies suffer, then I provide some mercy by giving them a temporary treatment that will get them hooked and keep them coming back to me for more and more
>>
>>24120277
The other Scandinavian countries are doing better. For one, their politicians aren't eager to ruin their countries with unregulated immigration.
>>
>>24120447
I just fucking like understanding the human body and figuring out the problem. literally don't care about the money desu. as long as I'm comfy, I'm good. I'm also not in the US. med school is free and I'll be a doctor by the time I'm 24.
>>
>>24116489
Workload- It's not that much harder than advanced undergrad biology courses, it just covers an entire semester of concepts in about two weeks. We have like 3 exams per class per semester, so for the anatomy/histo/embryology class, the first month was back and limbs+embryology+basic histology, the second month was thorax/abdomen/pelvis+histology of all organs+ embryology of all that stuff, third month was head and neck+ neuro histo+ embryology of nervous system
Social dynamics- It's the exact same as undergrad, just with smarter and shittier people.
Anything in particular to know- its a true bitch, but its more about being willing to isolate yourself and study 60 hours a week outside of class than anything else
I'm in the midwest, so cant really answer the other part
>>
>>24118082
Hunter or CCNY?
>>
>>24120598
what kind of meme school do you go to? we had to study anatomy for 4 whole semesters then take a comprehensive exam.
>>
>>24120580
>literally don't care about the money
>I'm also not in the US

That's good.

Also

>liking something
>it's now considered a passion

Moron
>>
>>24120682
So you did no physiology, biochemistry, neuroanatomy, immunology, pathology, pharmacology, etc? Anatomy was the only class the first semester aside from learning medical interviewing and physical diagnosis...
>>
File: 1424262007886.gif (981 KB, 342x239) Image search: [Google]
1424262007886.gif
981 KB, 342x239
>tfw all dat powah
>>
>>24120764
The first 2 years we had: anatomy for 4 semesters which included neuro, cell biology for 2, biochem and phsyiology for 2, immunology for 1. and we had some other less important shit like biostat, and sociology etc.
>>
Are any of you American? Seriously, what the fuck are you thinking?
>>
>>24120882
huh. we just had anatomy/embryo/histo for one, physio and biochem for one, neuro for half of one, and then immuno/path/pharma for two. The less important stuff was sprinkled in there too.
>>
>>24120764
yeah, forgot to mention med school takes 6 years here.
I have no idea how it works in the US
>>
>>24120944
yeah its 4 years here, two in the classroom and two in clinical sites.
>>
>>24120975
+200K in debt ;)
>>
>>24121010
actually zero dollars in debt, but whatever
>>
>>24121033
Oh so you're not American or your parents paid for it?
>>
>>24121033
Actually. 200k or more.
>>
>>24120975
weird. we practically don't see patients till the 4th year. but we still spend most of our time in class after that
>>
>>24120157

I fell for the "STEM has jobs meme" and got a physics degree. Had research experience and held a job throughout school.

Once I was out there wasn't a single job to be found. Any job I was qualified for an engineer or a programmer was more qualified. Couldn't even get a government number-crunching job because I wasn't black.

Now I'm a firefighter. I don't use my degree in any way shape or form. Should have gone to school for EMT/Paramedic right off the bat.

Anyone whose program of study doesn't offer actual skills you can use in the real world is wasting their time.
>>
>>24121091
By STEM they meant TE.
>>
>>24121058
>>24121060
American, relative richfag. Parents were going to pay for a top tier university. Worked it out so that if I paid for my university, they would pay for med school. So i went to a shit tier university, paid for that, and then they covered med school.
>>
>>24117456
I'm a student on a third world country latin american country and shits pretty cash. That guy is just bitter.
>>
>>24121089
interesting. we start getting exposure to patients in our second semester, but don't actually do anything in hospitals til beginning of third year. Years three and four are almost completely in hospitals.
>>
>>24121113

I'm very much aware of that now. "TE has jobs" doesn't flow off the tongue as well I suppose. "TEM" works as well if you say M is for medicine and is an umbrella for MD/nursing/EMS etc.

Not even that bitter really, I couldn't imagine myself being as happy as I am now if I had gotten an IT or engineering degree. That shit's boring.
>>
>>24120157
i make 55k as a resident (pgy 1), and will be making 250k as an attending. i dont see how a teacher would be earning just as much, even after taking into account that I start work at age 26 and had 200k in debt.

by age 35-40 i will have "caught up" with them and by age 50 i will have vastly outearned them.

And 250k is on the lower end of specialities.
>>
>>24121230
its poorfags trying to make themselves feel better. all those stats are complete bullshit, doctors roll in cash
>>
Poor guy.

I changed from a Chemistry degree into my construction management as soon as I noticed the tsunami of STEM students.

Just spoke to some man who's home I am constructing who is involved in the Australian government related to education and employment.

He asked me what I studied and when I told him I left my chemistry degree he pretty much went on a massive rant about how so many people are flooding into STEM degrees leaving a huge gap for trades.

WAY oversupply for science and engineering so now, there are few jobs which now have a lowered paid meanwhile trades are outearning other sectors while being in crazy demand.

Plus it appears to be this way for the next 5-10 years before all the STEM meme degree enrollers graduate.
>>
File: 1440185680006.png (420 KB, 371x651) Image search: [Google]
1440185680006.png
420 KB, 371x651
>>24121113
This.

Please tell me you didn't believe those tripfags that would post "hurr durr i gots me a math degree and i make 80k starting"
>>
>>24121203

>That guy is just bitter.

Yes, I'm bitter. Bitter that people come to MY workplace to make demands on what THEY think is the best course of action when they don't know the first thing about medicine. Then they threaten you and scream for it, making you look like the bad guy when your health system restricts you so much because of retards liek them voting for corrupt CUNTS who will keep screwing them over.

But no worries. I'll put my face and name on the line because I'm the shitty general MD slave that is treated like garbage daily knowing that the institution I work for won't do shit to defend me in case something happens because they can't provide the basic shit to run a clinic like an EKG or medicines :)
>>
>>24121226
>That shit's boring.

have fun being poor then, faggot
>>
>>24121294
Yeah but no pussy, parties, friends, and sports at trade school!!! YOLO
>>
>>24121230
Did you not even click the link which very clearly shows you why your meme degree makes you a doctor who earns the same per hour as a teacher but is forced to work double the hours.
>>
>>24121203
Also,
>tfw free education, don't have to worry over debts
It sure is one of the best feels out there.
>>
>>24121347
How wrong you are.

Trade school = You start earning money on day one.

You party every weekend with your tradie bros
Have money to splash around for girls, friends and hobbies.

Meanwhile students are poor 24/7 hoping to fuck a chick at moms house
>>
>>24121389

free education to become a legal slave lol

you're better off studying literally anything else that's not medicine
>>
Anyone know if forensic pathology is actually a good career to get into? Pathology is probably the only specialty I'm interested in; any alternatives that do roughly the same thing?
>>
>>24121408
>slave
jej keep believing what you want
>>
>>24121375
My hospital pays 1200/shift for hospitalists (8A-6P), flat rate. I dont see many teachers making over 100 an hour. I can work as many shifts as I want per month, as long as i work at least 4 per month. I can easily make 24k a month working 5 days a week, or 12k a month working every third day.

But you're right, of course you know better than me.
>>
>>24121484
ROAD or nothing if you don't want to be depressed, stressed and overworked.
>>
>>24121338

I make mid-50's per year. A bit more if I can score a bit of OT. That's more than enough for me to live on and be happy.

How much do you make? Or are you still in school talking out your ass about how fun and exciting your job will be.

I get to run into burning buildings and work with loads of cool equipment. HOW can designing some power supply or a car bumper be anywhere NEAR that level of fun?
>>
Business school, anyone?
>>
>>24121509
hospitalist 7 on 7 off if you want to be a NEET literally 50% of the time
>>
>>24121407
Why would any of that be in any way relevant to the average /r9k/ poster?
>>
>>24121505
Again not clicking the link.

I'm not going to copy and paste it Dr. Meme degree. I enjoy you trying to explain to me why I am wrong when you have yet to even look at why I am right.

You have yet to include debt in your calculation by the way. inb4 making up i got no debt
But I will go ahead and paste this one for you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/04/27/why-do-so-many-doctors-regret-their-job-choice/

he latest version of an annual survey from Medscape/Web M.D., shows dissatisfaction among U.S. doctors rising. In an online questionnaire of 24,000 doctors representing 25 specialties,only 54%, said they would choose medicine again as a career, down from 69% in 2011. Just 41% would choose the same specialty again. Only a quarter of doctors said they would choose the same practice setting, compared with 50% a year ago.

Enjoy the life full of regret.
>>
>>24121509
Those fields don't really have to do with pathology though. I meant alternatives where you would also work in the lab most of the time.
>>
Would medschool be a good choice for someone dumb and lazy?
>>
>>24121602
20,000 hours in residency- not even close. You're telling me if you do a 3 year ER residency, you work 128 hours a week, every week, for three years?
>Taking 20 years to pay off student loans.
Most doctors have them paid off within two or three years of being out of residency
>Including half a million dollar pension for teachers (about 20% of their lifetime earnings), while not including any benefits for doctors.
Nobody is saying that doctors dont work a lot, but this article tries to make it seem like they aren't rich as fuck.
we are
>>
>>24121712
Why not become a Radiological Pathologist or Dermatogical Pathologist?

Better yet a ophthalmogical pathologist
>>
>>24121757
This is due to the long hours not the fact that you are a doctor.

A teacher could work the same hours and be rich as fuck.
Way to throw away your youth and freetime there doctor.
>>
>>24121602
Your little infographic quotes a salary of 143k. Kek, maybe for a PCP. Literally every other specialty has a pretty good chance of doubling that. Anyone can twist numbers in an infographic to make their own point stronger- only a fool would believe it without thinking twice. Then again, you're quite a fool arent you, teachercuk?

Lmao 20000k hours in residency? I work about 80 hours a week for 47 weeks of the year for 3 years. That's 12000 hours at most (of course im rounding up), and that's with overestimating how many hour's im working as well.

Again, a hospitalist shift is 1200/shift. Working 40 hours a week for 48 weeks a year, I would be making at least 230k. That's literally getting 160 days off per year btw. Keep in mind 1200/shift is actually on the lower end, a lot of the other hospitals in the region pay up to 1900/shift.

Oh yeah and I have 0 debt as well.
>>
>>24121835
And i bet you know a lot of teachers that are as rich as doctors, because they put in more hours, right?
>>
>>24121835
Your infographic heavily overestimates the hours worked and heavily underestimates the money earned, of course it would make doctors and teachers have "equal" salaries.

We do work more hours than teachers, but we get paid MUCH more than your link suggests while working far less
>>
>>24120111
You know losing hair is about phases of balding that go through years woth pauses as well
>>
>>24121841
I'm a construction project developer.
You have no powers here doctor as I am well above you in pay and lifestyle.

> inb4 making up i got no debt
>Oh yeah and I have 0 debt as well.

Ok Dr. Trying to justify poor choices
>>
File: dick pepe.jpg (25 KB, 304x310) Image search: [Google]
dick pepe.jpg
25 KB, 304x310
>>24121902
>i dont like what im hearing so he must be making things up!!!!
Geez, construction workers are dumb as fuck.
>>
>>24121876
But doctors are not rich.
>>
>>24121924
>Who goes onto the internet and lies
>Who would do that!
Ok Dr.No debt

>construction workers are the same as project developers
It's like if I called you a "health worker".
>Maybe if I try and imply he's a tradesman then I will win!!
>>
>>24121931
Then we probably have very different definitions of the word "rich"
>>
>>24113746

lawschoolfag here

feels good to be employed
>>
>>24122037
Middle class to upper middle class is not rich anon.
>>
>>24115490

other lawschoolfag here.

You must have been too stupid to get into a T14 and land a biglaw position

>tfw I'll make $30k next summer
>tfw I'll be 24 making $160k when I graduate
>tfw no debt b/c scholarship
>>
>>24122066
Fair, but the original point still stands. I doubt there are too many teachers who make as much money as a doctor does by "working more hours"
>>
>>24121782
Dermatopathology sounds pretty in line with what I want to do. Do you know if it's better to go the dermatology route or the pathology route in residency?
>>
>>24122098
no idea why people go to law school if it's not t14 desu
>>
>>24122134
But if they had the ability to work the same hours they would be on the same level.

Once considering the debt of doctors, time invested before they begin earning a real salary and interest of the debt.
>>
>>24122162

Same dude you replied to, and I feel exactly the same. If you can't even get into T1, you shouldn't go at all. You'll likely drown in debt and have a horrible time finding employment.

Poor infinilaw fags are fucked.
>>
>>24122146
Mate I just made up those words and positions.

Get the fuck out of here and go ask a real doctor you fucking idiot.

Why are you seriously asking here for advice when every single post in this thread is either a lie or an exaggeration .
>>
>>24122098
>tfw you'll be expected to bill no less than 250hrs monthly doing document review for the firm
> tfw you'll never make partner and will be forced out in 3-5 years because you're a robot and lack the necessary social skills to play the Machiavellian big law office political game

Big law isn't all they tell you it is junior.
>>
File: bearypinkgirl.gif (16 KB, 205x274) Image search: [Google]
bearypinkgirl.gif
16 KB, 205x274
OK Medbots
Be honest with me
Is medicine my best bet?
I am excellent at math so I feel like I wouldn't have a hard time majoring and getting in
Is it GUARANTEED to get me a job?
I just don't want to major in something that gets me nowhere and I'm worried about the future
I was thinking of trying to be an anesthesiologist
>>
>>24122179
Other people have addressed why that article is bullshit, so i'm not going to do that again. However, even if you're 100% correct, teacher's don't "have the opportunity" to work more hours (or whatever bullshit you want to call it), and will never have as much money as a doctor. They don't have that opportunity, and they aren't on the same level.
>>
>>24122021
>It's like if I called you a "health worker".
That's fine, because I am a health worker. Just like you're a construction worker.

As for the debt part- my parents gave me 138k which they didnt ask for back, i'm just paying them back (with interest of course) because i'm not a bitch.

I am paying back 800/month during residency and 2200/month as an attending for roughly 5 years (at the 2.2k rate). 2200 I would estimate has a pretax would probably be around 4000 (again im overestimating to help you out), which means yearly id be paying 50k of my pretax income to loans

If i'm making 240k a year and losing out 50k/yr to loans, that's still 190k a year. I am 26 right now and will be an attending by age 29 and will be completely debt free by age 34.

This is with keeping roughly 50k/yr for the first 3 years and 190k a year for the next 5 - easily enough to get married, buy a house, have children, buy new cars, and settle down comfortably. That's 1.1 million pretaxed income in addition to having the loans paid off.

By age 40 I will be swimming in money since my girlfriend->wife is making 95k/yr now and will be making over 150k by that point as well. That's off topic though.

Keep in mind the specialty I'm doing is actually one of the lowest paying ones; if I were doing anything else I would be making vastly more.
>>
>>24122312
yes? Have you ever seen a doctor out of a job

the hard part isn't finding a job it's grinding out almost 10 years to get there

>4 years of undergrad. need good gpa to get in to med school
>4 years of med school
>2-6 years of residency depending on specialization
>>
>>24122246

no surprise about doc review, I knew that going in. As for 250 hrs monthly? Nah. Closer to 175 billed. I don't have any intention of going for partner - just go in for a few years, save a bunch, and then leave to a boutique a family friend is a partner at in my field of interest.

As for bein a robot - nah I just like to hang here for content. I'm actually social, interviews and callbacks can make or break your offer. I know a few FOBs with comparable or higher GPAs that didn't get offers (for US locations they wanted, at least), because they have no concept of social skills.
>>
>>24122312
Math has nothing to do with medicine. Med school is all just remembering information on a large scale. Think biology but more of it.

Math does not guarantee you a job.

I remember taking a math course at my university during my science degree who had a Harvard graduate in math tutoring getting paid $25 an hour.

Graduate with your mathdegree. Try and find a job.

If you can't then go medicine.
>>
>>24122343
>As for the debt part- my parents gave me 138k which they didnt ask for back, i'm just paying them back (with interest of course) because i'm not a bitch.

Then you are not a normal med student then. You are an outlier which should be ignored.

Give anyone 140 grand in the start of their life and it will be vastly different then the average person going down the same path.
>>
>>24122240
If there's even a little chance of anyone being legit here, then I might as well ask. No big deal if nothing happens.
>>
>>24122312
You can literally walk into any hospital in the country and demand a job.
>>
>>24122501
Look where you are. The official forum for losers.

Nobody here has any clue what they are talking about.

They are just a bunch of science students at best posting what they have been researching online.
>>
>>24122382
Lol 175? Are you fucking kidding me? I work as in house counsel now, but back in my short NYC big law stint if you did anything under 200 you'd get an email from your managing partner cc'd to some of the higher ups in your department, "kindly" asking you what was going on with your billing. 250 is the number most big law firms are looking for.

Whoever told you 175 was either outright lying, didn't know what the fuck they were talking about or were just messing with you for the lulz.
>>
>>24122488
Did you miss the part where I said I am paying them back (with interest?)

Yes, of course you did.
>>
>>24122566
Hey, if I'm looking for a possible career to get into, then everyone here would be doing my work for me. And one of your bullshit terms actually turned out to be a real discipline, so again, no skin off my back.
>>
>>24120656
Hunter. Apparently the scholarship I'm in has a 100% chance of getting you into med-school.
>>
>>24118469
>Ideal medical student has 1) great memory 2) respect for arbitrary authority 3) little desire to understand the nuances of subjects 4) ability to study subjects regardless of interest in them

I have a below average short term memory and I love me some nitty gritty and mechanisms, but I'm still get above average grades in med school thanks to our lord and saviour Anki.
>>
>>24116493
It's funny when people who clearly don't understand math try to describe why it is hard. It just makes it more obvious that you struggled with even the most basic courses. Math and science isnt about memorizing formulas it's about recognizing patterns and making sound conclusions based on related knowledge.
>>
>>24122775
Oh really? Which one? I'm Macaulay.
>>
> dad is a doctor
> I became a nurse
> dad always tells me how he hates medicine and he is so burned out etc.
> I make 1/5 of what he makes
> now thinking of becoming a doctor just for the money
>>
>>24122703
Doesn't change the fact that you're an outlier and you have it much eaiser
>>
>>24122894
It doesn't make it much easier because the alternative is I borrow it from the government for roughly the same interest
>>
>>24122826
>it's about recognizing patterns
>implying even children can't do that

Shut up tard.
>>
>>24117710
>>24117757
Very interesting because of the tracheal deviation towards the lesion.
>>
>>24117932
Can you really not throw a football, m8? You cean learn with like 30 minutes of practice. It's a pretty good skill to have
>>
>>24122835
The Yalow one. I also applied for Macaulay but didn't get in (with a 2090 SAT). The only benefit so far is that I have a mandatory lecture dedicated to providing information about getting into med school. It feels good to be debt-free though.
>>
what type of marks do you need to get into med school? I really want to get in but im just average in school.
>>
>>24123173
Its more about your MCAT score honestly, if you're in the US
>>
>>24123173
oh and btw I don't want to get in because of the money I find medicine pretty interesting.
>>
>>24123048
Macaulay has a bunch of practical benefits, free dorming included, but they are literally the most leftist program I've ever come across.

The Macaulay building on West 67th Street has gender-neutral restrooms and every student has to take mandatory graded liberal arts seminars as semester long courses. Normally I wouldn't care that much, but my current professor gives out a fuck ton of work and finds a way to bring feminism into every class discussion. Doesn't help that the class itself is basically an art history course.

I usually just ignore their pushing of the liberal agenda, but if you can't, you're probably better off. Shit's really annoying sometimes.
>>
>>24123212
Yeah I have a friend in the program and he says the same thing. I laugh every time I see something related to the International Marxism Club. The female professor leading the lecture I mentioned before has made jokes about how it sucks to be a white male and tries to convert everyone to fucking psychology majors and get phD's and it's starting to piss me off because I have to hear it every time I walk into the room.
>>
>>24123401
Oh yeah, I remember that. What about the time when the entire third floor was clogged up because of all those tables advertising feminism and opportunities for women?
>>
>>24117710
Did you take a gasometry? What was his PaO2, PaCO2 and his SO2, anon?
>>
>>24123595
If it was from lung cancer he probably would have developed great compensatory vq mismatch, I would imagine the abg would be surprisingly normal
>>
>>24123487
I honestly don't remember because I just try to ignore my general surroundings when I'm in Hunter except it's gotten a lot harder to do that since every fucking building feels like the 7th circle of hell all the time. I think it's pretty typical of a college in NYC. It's even worse in other schools; I have a friend in Cornell who has black feminists scream and hoot during lectures about anything that displeases them.
>>
>>24123654
But it was the consequence of a thoracic trauma.
I still remember my first chest tube, it didn't go so well, but it brings me joyous memories.
>>
>aiming towards a specialty in Pediatrics
>cannot wait to have my office stuffed with anime figures and Gundams, filled with Haemophilus influenzae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Ureaplasma urealyticum on the PVC surface.
>>
>>24123655
Yeah, I had to go to class that way so I didn't have a choice. The bathroom stalls are pretty cool though; each one is like it's own little art gallery/chatroom. I've read some pretty funny extended conversations on those walls.
>>
>>24123890
Are you a first year too? Did you join any clubs yet? All the friends I have in my classes are normies and it's slowly killing me. Did you sign up for any summer research positions/internships yet?
>>
>>24123981
Yeah, I'm a first year. I had class during the club fair so I missed the opportunity to join any clubs. I joined a Macaulay club though, and I'm trying to get a part time job at New York Presbyterian. But yeah, normies everywhere. Sometimes I can hear my dormmates banging their gfs in the rooms nearby.
>>
>>24124072
The commute fucking drains you, though. What classes are you taking next semester? I think bio, chem, english, and statistics won't fuck me over too much. Also, would you want to meet up or exchange contacts?
I don't think I can take regularly socializing with my current friends for much longer and I might need a competent lab partner for bio.
>>
I am a male studying to be a nurse lol

my class is like 29 females and two males, the other guy is a fag
>>
>>24124383
I've got Bio 100, Chem 104, Chem 106, another seminar course, and Arabic 102. Not a middle easterner though, just grew up with the language. Don't have room for anything else. Hope all this won't kill me. But yeah, I'm fine with meeting up.
>>
Medschool in Australia
>>Brother went straight in from HS - only spending 5 years at uni
>>45k/year scholarship during the course
>>50k debt total on a government loan with inflation-only interest
>>He still managed to travel for 2-3 months every year he was in medschool
>>Judging from normiebook he was at a party or some shit literally every week so the work can't have been that hard
>>He graduated 2 years ago (internship last year) and he's already getting paid $2200/day with accommodation provided working as a FIFO locum
>>At the end of the year he's going off to some diving resort in the middle of the pacific to provide medical support to a group of marine biologists. He's being paid (well ... barely paid) to take a holiday, assuming nothing goes wrong.
He's always wanted to be a doctor saving lives and shit but said he would never have gone into it in the States or UK - too many working hours, too much debt, and having to do a bullshit premed degree in the US; and just generally underfunded bullshit in the NHS
>>
>>24124601
There aren't really any places to meet up in Hunter but would you want to meet outside the front entrance to the west building? Near the blue food truck that's always there? I'm free from 1-2:45 tomorrow.
>>
>>24124782
>45k/year scholarship during the course

Military?
>>
>>24124859
Yeah, I can do that. Who should I look for?
>>
>>24124782
Australian entry into medicine is fucked
50% of spots go to foreign students who are willing to pay full fees.

I made interviews at Newcastle and UWS both I did not pass. Eventhough I received a very high UMAT.

Meanwhile, foreign students just waltz right in taking no tests for undergrad or if postgraduate their required results are MUCH MUCH lower then Australians.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.