[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you aspire to be when growing up anon? The NASA recruitment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: Astronaut-1.jpg (25 KB, 518x472) Image search: [Google]
Astronaut-1.jpg
25 KB, 518x472
What did you aspire to be when growing up anon?

The NASA recruitment made me remember my ambitions as a young child, I loved space, I read books, I watched documentaries, I couldn't understand science textbooks, but I went through a page a day, looking up definitions and finding out what words meant, and used the internet as much as I could (back in 1995 as a 8 year old)

I left my half finished business degree that I did to please my parents due to depression.

I work in a factory and filling shelves, just with my head barely above water with the high cost of living, and I don't think I can make it by the end year, the future scares me.
>>
Its okay anon, its never too late
>>
>>24107216
Carl Sagan's speeches and writing keeps me optimistic. I watch the Sagan Series whenever I feel a bit down.

I would like to witness the next frontier of human exploration, inconsequential as I am, stacking shelves at midnight worrying about rent and bills.

I remember sitting atop the roof of the supermarket when we waved at Saturn for a family photograph.
>>
I wanted to be normal.
>>
You know, for as long as I can remember, I never knew what I wanted to be.
And I still don't.

Now I'm a NEET who failed multiple studies.
I don't even know what I want in life and it's really bothersome.
>>
I was fascinated with Egypt and its history when I was little. I did little school assignments on it and would be super excited and into it.

Until one day someone asked me where my favorite vacation spot would be and I said Egypt because of the pyramids and stuff. They laughed in my face.

Shit like that sticks with you man. I was a bright, curious kid but things happen. What could've been, eh?
>>
I wanted to be an author. I went to school for an English Literature degree, but dropped out because I can't learn Spanish despite my best efforts.

Now I work in a hospital, cleaning surgical instruments. I don't have the energy to write, and even if I did, it wouldn't be any good. I know my work isn't any good, because the head of the English department at my college told me so.

People are cruel.
>>
File: PePe..png (322 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
PePe..png
322 KB, 600x596
>>24107977
Go far away from the city lights, go stargazing while and listening to coldplay or The album leaf.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXPrylWkBE&list=RDKqXPrylWkBE

Its better by the sea, but you have to be alone.

Where I go has an estuary, on a moonless and windless night you see insects try to catch the star's reflection on the lake.

...fuck why did I make this thread....
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-23-06-24-53.png (282 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-23-06-24-53.png
282 KB, 1080x1920
>>24108665

I do something similar.

Have you ever tried some astrophotography? Go to the same spot, it looks fine. Pack some food and drink, a good camera with a tripod, and just listen to the radio and picture the constellations. We've just enjoyed Venus, Jupiter and Mars aligned not so long ago.

Download Google Sky and make those stargazing nights a little more productive, you'll eventually have nice collection and it will become a nice hobby
>>
>>24107164
add me on skype OP
we share the passion and the despair

>>
Wanted to be like my dad and grandads. Here am though alone, friendless and a NEET.
>tfw no loving wife and children
>>
>>24107811
Didn't we all?
>>
>>24107164
I wanted to join the marine corps to kill and be killed more than anything in the world, I also wanted to be happy.
>>
I didnt really know what I wanted to do... and now Im a legionnaire, lol.
>>
I never wanted to be anything. All jobs are objectively awful.
>>
>>24107164

We should help each other OP
we, as robots with the same interests could bring the sparks back to our lives
we dreamers are rare.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 321x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 321x279
>>24107164
>was in Japan for junior year of high school
>literally got to live in an anime
>>
>>24109108
I'd add you but I don't have skype.

I have much social media anyways. There's already too many, and they come and go like the tides.
>>
>>24107164
I wanted to be a teacher when I was very young. It didn't really matter to me over what, because I loved everything. I loved making tests, reading lists and quizzes for as long as I can remember, and bothered a lot of siblings/relatives my age with them growing up.

At some point I realized I'd have to be a professor instead of a public school teacher. Probably from seeing how shitty and stressed all my teachers were.

As an adult, I finally figured out what I wanted to teach, since it encompasses so many other aspects of learning and everything I learn can relate back to it and enhance my ability to teach it. Literature.
>>
>>24109515

i regret your decision ,anon
if you change your mind, use the code-word "pulsar" to let me know who you are.

hold on to your dreams ,anon.
>>
File: 1393098616227.png (90 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1393098616227.png
90 KB, 800x600
>>24107164
I had same space obsessions as you, op.
When I was very little I wanted to discover the borders of universe.
I'm two years behind my peers now but at least doing a fairly science-related degree. Nothing that'd allow me to get anywhere close to working for a space agency.
My grades are terrible too.
>>
File: homer.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>24109454
>>24109108
>>24109695
>>24107977
>>24108800

Your posts reminded me of a dream I had the other night.
>A group of hopeless yet resourceful outcasts manage to get the schematics for the Jetman's Jetpack
>painstakingly recreate it with lightweight materials from plywood and carbon fiber.
>They made spacesuits from Commercial diver Scuba drysuits
>Scuba Rebreathers as a life support system.
> All took up menial jobs to pay for their equipment, one was a dishwasher, another worked in a scrapyard.

> The day finally came when they all agreed to throw away their lives for something they can be proud of and bring meaning to their dead-end lives.
> They use the helium supposed to be used for their exit bags and put the first puffs into the helium weather balloon to take them to the stratosphere as an act of symbolism. before the rest of the balloon is filled.

>once in the stratosphere, they launch from their jetpacks to try and escape the Earth's gravity with the easier acceleration.
> They fly towards the moon on a one way trip, if someone couldn't make it due to thrist and starvation they switch their air/O2 supply and use the remainder of exit bag.

Dream ends with a short and obscure, national newspaper article in the middle pages; a missing persons article about a group of missing friends.
>>
>>24110316

pretty beautiful dream, if you ask me
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.