[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Acting like a Normie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: angrypepe.jpg (3 KB, 244x206) Image search: [Google]
angrypepe.jpg
3 KB, 244x206
>be me
>have severe social anxiety and be awkward af
>be at work minding my own fucking business
>some bitch says to me "why are you so quiet anon?"
>awkwardly laugh and say I'm just too busy working to talk much
>internally rage
What the fuck kind of question is that and how am i supposed to respond to it?
>>
anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences, feel free to share
>>
i've had it asked a few times.
i don't know how to respond.
i just say i don't know and then sweat a little bit.
>>
"why won't you shut the fuck up?"

too a late now senpai, could have gotten your dick wet
>>
http://www.succeedsocially.com/youresoquiet
>>
>>24105030
Sorry anon but that is the most beta response possible.

You could insult her like Chad would:
you all are not interesting enough to talk to
as you are not Chad this will likely piss her off.
>>
>>24105098
has www.succeedsocially.com helped you succeed socially?
>>
>>24104821
>be me
>trying to become a normie
>go drinking with some people from class
>around people Im comfortable with, and Im not that anxious.
>been drinking a lot and just sort of spacing out and listening to the one main convo at the table
>some dude on the other end of the table asks "why are you so queit"
>respond with "I dont really have anything to add, but hey, did you notice that old white guy and the two young Asain girls that were wearing cat ears in here last week"
>"lol no"
>"I wonder if they were prostitutes or something"
>"lol, maybe"

Did I pass the normie test, or do you fail if that question is asked in the first place?
>>
>>24105252
your response was on point because it sounded like you handled it well and you didn't take his comment too seriously but if they ask that question then you're definitely not a 100% normie in their eyes, you're probably getting there though
>>
>>24105252
no. that was an awkward convo to have and they probably thought you were a weirdo -- epecially since they asked you the question.
>>
>>24105299
this is probably more accurate desu
>>
You tell the truth. That's what "being yourself" means faggots.
>>
>>24105423
wtf why did it autocorrect from desu to desu wat?
>>
>Getting Travel Vaccine shots with my dad for family trip.
>hot qt is there telling us bunch of info
>can't look her in the eye cause I'm intimidated
>I space out and start thinking about random shit
>eventually I space out so hard I'm not even thinking about anything
>might as well have been sleeping
>get my shots still always looking away from her and not looking at her at all
>me and old man go up and pay for the shots
>eyes lock
>she asks why I'm so quite
>I instantly look away
>look and see my dad already left
>Still kinda spaced out
>I look up again
>she has some strange worried face
>I don't say anything and just walk away
>not like ill ever see this person ever again
Meh watev
>>
>>24105444
ah fucking it shit it happened again i guess i cant type t....b......h without it autocorrecting unless i put spaces looks like hiroshima nagasaki is trolling again
>>
>>24105113
Sort of.

I really like the website because it is written by somebody that has some understanding of social awkwardness. It doesn't take the more basic aspects of social interaction for granted, so it's more useful for the socially retarded than other guides. If you are socially awkward I strongly recommend you read the articles on the site that are relevant to you, they do help. Even if you don't end up improving much it'll help you handle situations like OP with more grace and understand the other party a little bit.

Back to your question, yes, it did help me. But I was trying to improve social skills in general, there's really no avoiding practising if you want to do the same. I'm at the point where I have a few friends now, enough as not to feel lonely, which is the most important part for me.

It also obviously didn't help with me being rather ugly.
>>
I've found over the years that it's just easier to default to blunt honesty in all situations.

>why are you so quiet?
>I hate talking to people
Conversation ded.
>>
>Adam Lanza shoots kids
>everyone is extra nice to me
reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>24105470
You must have been gone for a while senpai
>>
File: IMG_20151102_162409.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151102_162409.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>24105497

>I hate talking to people

Why? I am shy but talking and sharing stories and knowledge with friends is fun.

Pic was taken the other day at the park.
>>
I've reached the point where I realize I can never fully become a normie. No matter how many times I force myself into social situations or try and pick up normie habits or act like them, I can't change me. I'm just a weird fucking guy who, there's no sense in trying to force me into being normal, it's not going to happen.
>>
You reply honestly? It's not hard. Whenever I get asked that I just tell them the truth.

"I'm anxious and don't want to accidentally make a bad impression" or "I'm not an expert in what you're talking about so I'm just listening" or "I don't feel like talking today, sometimes it makes me really tired and I don't know why. Not your fault, it's just a weird me thing."

Despite what robots think, normies are actually very good about accepting that people are different and have different needs, you just need to use your words to convey your needs to them
>>
>>24105615
>normies are very good about accepting that people are different
>normies are good at accepting different people
>normies accept different people
what planet do you live on where normies are like that, if i tried that i would be immediately branded as a raging autist
>>
>>24105599

Looks like you are trying the wrong way, you become a normie when you're comfortable in any social situation and fear no longer rules in your mind.

Dancing with a girl? Don't try to do what you don't want to do, instead lead the situation to your terrain.
>>
>>24105599
The more I've tried to fit in the more I've come to the same conclusion as you and I don't know what to do about it
>>
>>24105695
I live on a planet where functional people communicate their needs to each other and listen to them.
>>
>>24105458
>eventually I space out so hard I'm not even thinking about anything

I do that a lot. IS there a term for that?
>>
File: 1392008686660.jpg (110 KB, 960x707) Image search: [Google]
1392008686660.jpg
110 KB, 960x707
>>24105695

Yes they do, you're delusional. A guy in my class last year NEVER spoke or looked at people in the eye, you could tell he had severe anxiety of humans, and people in class were always nice to him. In private we talked about him and wondered why he never spoke to people but we were never mean to him.

Sounds to me like /r9k/ makes up an alternate reality in their minds to justify not trying to become good persons but the real world is never like they think.
>>
>>24105781
Dunno but I do it sometimes In social situations where I don't know anyone
>>
>>24105744
Well I live in reality where everyone isn't like how you describe people unfortunately.
>>24105789
That's anecdotal evidence, only one very specific example of people behaving like this and I can assure you that most people aren't like that.
>>
>>24105965

Yes and only a very extreme example, I'm sure you're not even as close to that level of autism, so you have no excuse to improve your life.

Just rot in your room if you want to tho.
>>
>>24106019
I never said that I'm not trying to improve my life I'm just saying that not everyone is nearly as accepting and kind of people that are different as you seem to think. Also keep in mind that the people that treated that kid well don't represent the entirety of humanity and that for every person that treated him well and was kind to him at least one other person was an asshole to him
>>
>>24104891
I know you're refering to people who literally ask that on quote, but this board has always essentially served that purpose of sharing experiences for relatedness you fucking faggot.
>>
>>24106224
>but this board has always essentially served that purpose of sharing experiences for relatedness
first of all that sentence is a grammatical clusterfuck, also it's perfectly fine to ask for opinions about a specific awkward experience and not just ask about being awkward in general
>>
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
>>24104821
That's when you reveal how autistic you are by quoting Schopenhauer.

>What makes people sociable is their incapacity to endure solitude and thus themselves
She'll call you a conceited asshole, to which you reply:
>what is modesty but hypocritical humility, by means of which, in a world swelling with vile envy, a man seeks to beg pardon for his excellences and merits from those who have none? For whoever attributes no merit to himself because he really has none is not modest, but merely honest.
Here she'll call you a sociopath
>Our moral virtues benefit mainly other people; intellectual virtues, on the other hand, benefit primarily ourselves; therefore the former make us universally popular, the latter unpopular.
At this point she'll go full-tumblr with the "OMG I AM DONE. I CAN'T, I JUST FUCKING CAN'T!"
>In general the Wise of all times have always said the same thing, and the fools, that is to say the vast majority of all times, have always done the same thing, i.e. the opposite; and so it will remain in the future.

Don't attribute the quotes.
>>
>>24104821
just be honest fuckface
>>
>>24106698
Is that before or after you teleport behind her?
>>
>wow anon do you ever shut up, you talk way too much
>>
>>24106698
that's the edgiest most autistic thing i have ever heard

after you say that first line she will just look at you confused and walk off or if she is immature make fun off you forever with all her friends
>>
>>24106837
>>24106909
That's the joke, you fucking plebs

Srs OP, just tell people you don't say anything that you don't feel is worth contributing and, as a result, you don't say much.
>Every time a man is begotten and born, the clock of human life is wound up anew to repeat once more its same old tune that has already been played innumerable times, movement by movement and measure by measure, with insignificant variations.
>>
My go to response is normally something like 'I need to preserve my singing voice' senpai
>tfw have stock replies for a variety of normie questions but saying them makes me feel even more autistic
>>
>>24104821
My response: "I have nothing to say"
>>
>>24104821

Just tell them you were lost in your thoughts , bitches will dig that , then ask them if they want to talk or something.

Works 10/10 times
>>
>>24105789
>bullying everywhere in the world
>tv ads agains bullying as it's a serious problem
Nah, man. My anecdotal evidence proves people are nice, everyone who disagrees is a faggot that has no excuse for having a shitty life. It's YOUR fault, robots !!!!
Keep being a delusional normie scum.
>>
>>24107560
Bullying builds character and only weak-willed onlookers complain about it. They laugh when they see bullying, yet at the same time makes and whatnot to shame those who do it because they won't stop bullies themselves.
>>
If you were a normie you would understand that women don't talk to you unless they have some level of interest.

You should have smiled, and said it's because the fewer words you use, the more they matter.
>>
>>24106698
OP here I left this thread for a while and when I came back I saw this and I have to say that was unexpected, ridiculous, well thought out and hilarious, finding stuff like this is the reason I browse r9k thanks.
>>
>>24107061
thanks for the advice I guess I'll try that
>>
>>24108154
d-don't actually do that. Or leave off the "that's why I don't say much" part. Also only say it if it's true, as it is for me.

So basically go with: "there's not much to say". Don't try to sound friendly when you say this, but make sure there is no anger in your voice. Practice by recording yourself saying things. She will most likely tell you "well sure there is, anon! What do you think about X?" Tell her the truth and try to make a joke. To be on the safe side, don't joke about anything sexual, make a dad joke or something.

You can keep talking to her after that if you want but if you don't want to just tell her you're really busy and you'll talk later. If you choose to keep talking, look out for signs that she's uncomfortable and use the I'm busy line then. Don't be too concerned about it though.

If you detect no discomfort, next time you see her say hi and ask how she's doing, work from there.

Keep in mind that she wouldn't ask why you were so quiet if she didn't think you had something interesting or worthwhile to say. Maybe she saw you look like you wanted to say something but then didn't. You can either prove that you're not interesting or just bee urself (because pretending to be interesting doesn't work and you'll say something autistic) and let her be the judge.

>tfw troll's remorse
I didn't expect you to actually take my shitty advice in that post, OP.
>>
>>24106698
good post

it's not often you see high quality satire anymore
>>
>>24108911
desu i'd actually say the first line desu desu senpai senpai desu

although i also like "there's nothing to say", but if i said the first line it's how you can weed out the normies and you would find a girl that's interested in "quirky" guys
>>
>>24104821
This question is just bullying. She doesn't want an answer, she's just trying to make you feel bad. The only proper answer is one that implies it's the bitches fault - "I have nothing to say to you" in a blunt tone is good and leaves little room for further bitching.
>>
>>24109062
Not really, from what I've learned, they're actually trying to be nice when asking that question
>>
>>24105299
>>24105423
I disagree, the guy who brings that up is a douche and trying to gain attention by giving you negative attention.

Robot did well.
>>
>>24105562
not him but I don't like people either

I enjoy listening and getting people to think about what they really want to say and express but people tend to just want to talk about themselves. Sure like I said I enjoy listening, but I also enjoy telling me stories too. I never get a chance.
>>
>>24110148
Tell me a story, anon, I'll listen.
>>
>>24109062

Are you retarded?

The chick is trying to be nice and start a conversation
>>
>>24105562

>Not feeling intense disgust and regret for no reason after having shared any knowledge/stories and anything that gives some insight into how you think.

NORMIE OUT.
>>
>>24110201
I'm nervous now

you've got the generic i'm a robot failure etc, but something that's kind of exciting is that we might be the some of the first planets that were capable of sustaining life. So we may be the first life forms to actually explore space and that's fascinating as fuck my friend.

For a story, something retarded.

>in hs, sophomore
>in a class with most of my friends
>weirdest friend has some fascination with stink bombs
>turns out his brother, who was in afghanistan at the time, sent him a flask for his birthday from overseas
>his brother put milk in the flask and wrapped it up in the turban of a man he shot
>sent it to his little brother
pretty funny tb h though
>my friend laughed at it as well
>so my friend started making his own stink bombs and wrapped this plastic water bottle in duct tape seal whatever the fuck was inside it
>didn't work very well
>get back from lunch and my friend has poured this stink mess on peoples seats
>another friend discovers this and swaps seats with him
>stinky friend sits in his own mess and in his frustration knocked his backpack over that contained the uncapped bottle of fluid
>he had to sit in the hall

thanks for listening
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.