[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do far fewer women study computer science than maths? >comp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 32
File: CTJo2upU8AAFNdt.png:large.png (68 KB, 605x403) Image search: [Google]
CTJo2upU8AAFNdt.png:large.png
68 KB, 605x403
Why do far fewer women study computer science than maths?

>comp sci is easier
>both are very nerdy "traditionally male"
>>
Why are more men stuying social sciences than psychology?
>>
>>24080096
Engineering master here
>>
>>24080096
Computer science is the very essence of male nerdness. At least math has a wide range of applications.
>>
>>24080096
Computers are for fucking beta nerds and always will be
>>
No future in computer science

Automation going to destroy it, and unless you're already established, you're not going to be one of those people working in automation.
>>
>>24080096
So that feminists can complain about not enough women being in STEM
>>
Fuck CS.

Women fucking ruined psychology.

What once was an extension of philosophy and logic now is "muh feels" hugbox filled with hundreds and thousands of "studies" with non-replicable results and full on retarded conclusions.

I would have honestly have went into psychology instead of engineering if it still was anything like it was before the 50s.

I would suggest that you never do, but if you ever desperately want a therapist, look for a man. Female therapists will make it worse.
>>
>>24080197
Somebody's gotta code and tweak that automated process dumbass
>>
Because most CS students are much like the people you find on here, which isn't an environment many women want to waste several years in
>>
>>24080197
>Automation going to destroy it

What will be spared, anyway?

I work in a warehouse and hear the Normies saying shit like "our jobs will always be needed" but right now there are robots who can sort stuff and put it in boxes. No human can compete with that (doesn't sleep, doesn't complain), except for the price, but the price will get more and more competitive.

They even do Robots which can do surgery. Future will be jobless for a lot of us.
>>
>>24080376
>women invade psychology
>turn it to shit
>men go to neuroscience and leave psychology as the little chew toy for feminists to claim victory
>>
>>24080403
Computers.
>>
>>24080096
>42% in math
wtf there was 1 in about 15 people in my programme
>>
>>24080096
Because women don't want easy shit.
>>
>>24080376
>psychology
>only clinical
It's a good thing you didn't go into Psychology. There is already enough idiocy polluting this major as is.
>>
>>24080605
>takes college level math
>doesn't understand how statistics work

anon pls
>>
>>24080635

Where did I suggest that psychology is supposed to be entirely focused on clinical applications?
>>
Math is like the only STEM degree with a lot of women except chemistry. I have no idea why that is.
>>
>>24080664
>but if you ever desperately want a therapist
The emphasis on therapy, for one.
>>
File: 1426091680061.jpg (190 KB, 1000x834) Image search: [Google]
1426091680061.jpg
190 KB, 1000x834
you go girls :)
>>
>>24080690
Yet you don't have a degree at all while plenty of women are in mathematics.
>>
>>24080670
Ya it is weird, most girls are like
>I am bad a math xDDDD
>>
>>24080096
maths is a teacher degree.
>>
>>24080732
found the buttblasted cunt
>>
>>24080683

I even explicitly stated

>I would suggest that you never do

I just outlined a part of psychology which is very likely to be relevant to a lot of people browsing this board.

Your ability to extrapolate my entire viewpoint on something based of an relatively inconsequential statement is absolutely amazing.

I guess if I ever say that beef can make for good burgers you will turn up with your ass blasted spouting shit like

>beef
>only for burgers
>>
File: based Milo.png (587 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
based Milo.png
587 KB, 900x900
>>24080096

Women generally just plain don't care enough about it, and on average aren't smart enough to hack it anyway.

>We don't complain when women dominate nursing, we shouldn't com[lain when men dominate physics.
>>
>>24080796
Plenty of people complain about the lack of male nurses and the discrimination they face because they choose nursing as a career
>>
>>24080403

Yeah, they are already working on computers that program themselves as well as evolving code, so eventually none of it will be around.
>>
>>24080796
This is why the entire representation argument is bullshit. Women don't *want* to study the real subjects. They choose to study bullshit like women's studies, psychology, art and communications and then complain there's not enough women in STEM fields.

Even the women that do aspire to work in the more difficult fields tend to drift towards the 'lesser' departments of that field.
>>
OP here, time for some responses

>>24080197
>>24081006
Retarded. A LOT of jobs will be automated and there's no reason why programmers will be one of the earlier ones. Programming actually requires a lot of thought and knowledge. Truck drivers and manual labourers are probably going to be some of the first to be completely automated, for example.

>>24080424
So are most maths students

>>24080424
Truth. Low value men generally.

>>24080690
I think I saw this debunked somewhere...

>>24080796
Sorry Milo, but I accept what you wrote and it doesn't explain why there are FEWER women in the EASIER subject of compsci.
>>
>>24082202
Ignore second comment to >>24080424, that was my first thought that didn't get deleted.
>>
>>24082202

No shit, but he claimed that programming will be forever needed, which we know they are already working on automating a large portion of it. Lrn 2 reed
>>
>>24082202
maths students are a thousand times more normie than cs students in my experience

there are plenty of cs kids that are socks-with-sandals tier
>>
There's a Chad in my CS class

He's smart as fuck too

Fucking chad
>>
I think it's because in general, most chicks find it boring. It's a very cold, hard, logical class with no focus on human interaction, helping people, or emotions. There's no real gray area, shit either works or it doesn't.

Meanwhile, Psychology is all about talking and feelings and junk.
>>
Potential for future income is strongly correlated to penis size.
>>
maths are like, so booooooooooooring omg
>>
>>24080690
This could be explained by the fact that far more women attend college (i.e. a large number of average women attend college, while it's mostly smarter men who attend).
>>
>>24080690
based maths
>>
It's a pretty modern phenomenon, actually. Women in computer science/programming was much higher in the 70s-early 90s but dropped off hard in the last twenty years. The better question is probably to ask what happened since then either in the field or outside of the field which might have changed their minds. Were other fields more appealing, Comp. Sci. made intimidating, or other factors? Personally, I'm wondering why these Comp. Sci. women didn't encourage their daughters to go into Comp. Sci. I don't see a lot of female physicists, but you see their daughters (of male and female physicists) much more likely to go into it as a result of a parent in physics.
>>
>>24080189
Oh, hi Chad
>>
File: 47w43774.jpg (28 KB, 404x411) Image search: [Google]
47w43774.jpg
28 KB, 404x411
>implying mathematics and computer science is top tier
>>
File: topkuk.png (52 KB, 713x669) Image search: [Google]
topkuk.png
52 KB, 713x669
fuck companies trying to shoehorn >wimmin into tech. saw a microsoft commercial with a bunch of kids in classrooms, camera pans to the grills and narrator says: "someone will change the world, let's give her* what she* needs"

if women wanted to be in cs, they'd be in cs. just piss off already. b-but muh oppression
>>
File: pkZPrOI.png (57 KB, 708x518) Image search: [Google]
pkZPrOI.png
57 KB, 708x518
>>24084384
>tfw you're right
>>
File: nerd.jpg (180 KB, 1414x741) Image search: [Google]
nerd.jpg
180 KB, 1414x741
>>24084384
Computers and programming became associated with nerds due to gaming.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding
>>
>>24084384
There are claims it has to do with personal computers becoming more popular and the creation of the tech-geek stereotype in the 80s.
>>
>>24084486
>implying Mathematics isn't GOAT
>>
Grill in my engineering program went to a women in tech conference, came back saying it was whining for three days and that they just expected to get jobs.

At least there's hope for some that they're not expecting the pussy pass
>>
File: why.jpg (84 KB, 846x1300) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
84 KB, 846x1300
it's because they're more interested in muh feelings degrees

>taking CS classes
>good times, no having to interact with other people besides the usual joking around with buddies
>three other girls in the class
>one is cool 10/10 much respect
>one doesn't even do her work and copies my code
>no joke, the second we're assigned something she just sits there and plays games on her iphone
>occasionally makes a game reference so we all know she's a gamer girl
>the other one sits there while her beta orbiters do all the work for her and makes kissy noises at some of them and is just a gigantic loud tease
>gamer grill just bitches about her to me
>>
File: 854578.jpg (36 KB, 445x482) Image search: [Google]
854578.jpg
36 KB, 445x482
>>24084716
>he thinks studying mathemathics will get him laid
>>
>>24084680
>>24084384
Good posts. Think this answers it
>>
>>24080096
>comp sci is easier

You're a fucking retard, here why:

Both are easy if you enjoy doing them.

Bother are difficult if you don't.

The end.

>tl;dr difficulty apples and oranges.
>>
>>24080096
Women don't understand how computers work but math can be understood if you just put enough effort into studying. That's not to say that math isn't more difficult than cs, because I believe it is.
>>
>question is "Why do far fewer women study computer science than maths?"
>at least a third of the answers are about psychology
>>
>>24084769
What does math have to do with feelings?
>>
>>24084786
>he thinks knowledge is all about getting laid
Wait until you grow out of junior high.
>>
>>24080096
Women can do math, but they struggle doing classical newtonian mechanics which are vital for engineering, they are also bad at doing decision based math which is vital for computing

In essence, they can do math, but they cannot do physics
>>
File: 74367654.jpg (15 KB, 252x350) Image search: [Google]
74367654.jpg
15 KB, 252x350
>>24086144
>mathematics
>knowledge
mathematicians won't be the ones to find the cure for cancer, you know.
>>
>>24080135
or why are more women studying psychology than social sciences

I think it's because women are crazy and they want to understand why they're crazy
>>
>>24086244
>cure for cancer
6/10 made me reply
>>
File: 1444597682592.png (23 KB, 124x106) Image search: [Google]
1444597682592.png
23 KB, 124x106
>>24080197
>mfw I'm a student working in automation 20 hours a week for small pay to make boomers' entire careers obsolete
>>
>>24080096

Somebody posted a link to a Norwegian documentary the other night. According to several researchers, women in less developed countries tend to gravitate towards math and science, whereas women in more developed country often take jobs which are more in line with traditional gender roles. In other words, when people are comfortable and have the ability to choose their preferred fields, their biology tends to influence them to an extent.
>>
File: garyshrug.png (242 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
garyshrug.png
242 KB, 500x382
>female who lurks /r9k/
>sys admin
>get along with my co-workers
>meet up with co-workers pretty much mandatory bar get-together
>obvious beta php developer pulls out skittles from his pocket and puts them in his shot glass
>"alcohol taste bad so this helps"
>his boss paid for this drink and is watching him do this
>smile at him and nod then reply "i feel you"
>get back home and smirk about this whole event all night

I don't understand why females wouldn't enter this industry, not like these dudes are going to try to approach you or fuck you. Maybe a little in college but it's not that bad. They're just poor innocent virgins trying to make it in the world.
>>
>>24086446
You're a relatively masculine chick though, right. Vellous arm hair, "banana" body shape, competitive, horny af, possibly even a manjaw

It's not an insult btw. But typical women just wouldn't be interested.
>>
>>24086569
I mean you got a few details right. If by banana shaped body, you mean I have terrible posture, then yes.

Competitive, not so hairy, not exactly girly looking but not ugly, don't really do hair or makeup, too lazy to carry a purse, constantly wearing a backpack, dress like I'm still a little emo kid in middle school. I realize I kind of fit in with my co-workers but consider myself a bit more "normie" than most of them. Chad would not approach me although some qt manlets have asked me out before.
>>
>>24086670
>tfw grill studying cs/maths and would like to have relations with a manlet
this gives me hope
>>
>>24080096
>Social Sciences
>53%
I guess that groups in with history and politics

No way in hell are 47% of gender studies students male
>>
>>24086446
I don't get your point. I mean if as you say there aren't really quality men, then that's of course a reason not to choose the subject.
>>
>>24086244
chaos theory is used widely
>>
File: Body Shapes.jpg (25 KB, 510x340) Image search: [Google]
Body Shapes.jpg
25 KB, 510x340
>>24086670
Most of the stuff you said isn't really about your testosterone level.

> Chad would not approach me although some qt manlets have asked me out before.

Like I said, masculinised girls can still be qt as fuck. Think fox news presenter.

>>24086822
Stupid. It has nothing to do with your major

>>24086859
Yeah its crazy how much stats coming out of these places serve to hide real gender dichotomies except for the ones feminists would like to focus on. I saw a report about violence occurring to different demographics, it was crazy the acrobatics they were doing to hide that men are the man victims.
>>
Yeah, there are few girls in CS, but the ones that stay are cute as fuck. I mean I have zero chance with them, just as with any woman, but they are all cute as fuck, wearing little makeup and simple clothing.
>>
>>24086869
They're not Chads but they're not low quality men. I don't hate any of my co-workers and they're all very nice people. I think if a woman got to know one of them, they could easily fall in love.

Sometimes my co-workers say or do very sweet, meaningful or sincere things for me. They're not like angry neckbeards or something. "Ugly" people get married to each other all the time.
>>
File: 1445144595215.png (83 KB, 1037x599) Image search: [Google]
1445144595215.png
83 KB, 1037x599
>>24080096
There is no way math is 42% female. Women can't do proofs worth shit.

>>24086859
Econ is male heavy and probably shifting the numbers. History and poli-sci are pretty close to 50-50 male-female.
>>
File: giphy.gif (997 KB, 496x371) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
997 KB, 496x371
>>24086908
>man victims
main victims
>>
>>24086954
>programs across twelves top universities
>twelves
>two+elves

is 'twelves' some PhD level shit im not getting?
>>
>>24087112
120 is above 110 in regards to IQ. Looks like a hastily and poorly put-together chart.
>>
>>24086954
PhD Physics grad here. I'm not 140 lol. Maybe 120 at a push
>>
>>24086954
I'm amazed comp sci can be that high on this chart. Other developers don't seem all that smart to me, mostly OCD and obsessive. Sometimes they can even be extremely stubborn and set in their ways of coding.

At least when I try to compare them to famous scientist and things like that. Then again, famous people like that were often very set in their ways of thinking and often tried to disprove theories and sperg out on each other.
>>
>>24087172
phd progarms are pretty top heavy
students at programs with tenure track placements can be monstrously intelligent
>>
>>24087172
>PhD graduate

>doesn't know what an outlier is
>doesn't know what an average is

I don't even want to know why.
>>
>>24087220
Why are web developers so obsessed with fad languages and frameworks?
>>
>>24087295
>PhD Physics
>Knows that the probability of a distribution being centred on 140 is lower if one sample is taken and is quite far from 140, especially when its more towards the parent population centred at 100
>>
>>24080096
It's the same reason they don't study military or aerospace engineering. The profession as a whole moves forward so quickly. If a women takes a break for pregnancy from being a history teacher, nothing changes, she can get back into it. If you miss a year or more in Aerospace engineering you're more then useless.
>>
>>24087142
The IQ is labelling lines. The estimated IQ varies across sub-intelligences. According to the chart, in terms of IQ, either quantitive measure contribute less to IQ, or they are less able to discriminate verbal IQ from quantitative, so IQ depends more on verbal than quantitative factors.

t. regards EE major
>>
>>24084486

As someone with a CS diploma, maths are imo harder than CS. There's just no way to justify the lack of females except for the fact that females think of CS as an uninteresting/shitty work. The rare women I've met studying CS were in because they thought it was the easy way to have well-paid jobs.
>>
>>24080690
>score uses post HS SAT to estimate IQ
>then uses "intended" major vs even accepted at the BS level, let alone graduated with that degree
The chart is beyond retarded. Like 50% of people who attempt an Engineering or Math major at the start will switch. I literally know a Chink woman who was originally going for a graduate degree in Math and switched to Psychology
>>
>>24087416
I'm sceptical that people thnk that far ahead. When I picked my undergraduate degree, career was barely a factor, just a vague notion that you could get money with it. and most people seem to go to uni with far less foresight than me
>>
Another question is why are biology and chemistry programs majority female?
My uni chemistry classes were about 60% female and biology 70%.
>>
File: pleasegodsaveme.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pleasegodsaveme.jpg
70 KB, 1280x720
>>24087339
Web development is so mind numbing and soul crushing that fantasizing about a world full of "streamlined" languages is all they have. This is how you circlejerk it with other web developers because it's easier than admitting that you are basically the janitor of the Internet.

What they really want is a better job.
>>
mainly because i don't really have an interest in computer science, i'm more interested in law and crime desu senpai. subjects/fields with only 'one answer' bore me

not sure why there are less in CS than Maths though, again i find both of them plain as fuck
>>
>>24087513
Due to massive push for women in STEM combined with what women are actually interested in being as far from hard science as possible?
>>
>>24087513
They are the sciences which use the least math. They are biologists with graduate educations who have never done matrix algebra.
>>
>>24087513
>biology
This is the basic bitch of STEM, all you're doing is memorizing definitions basically with no lab work. This is what you do before you realize you should probably switch to a real major because there is no jobs for a pure "biologist".

Probably why girls are in it.
>>
>>24087513
They're not math-based and they can earn some money.

Literally look at where men are in higher proportions, and it's money-but-interesting (Engineers), trust-fund baby degrees (like art), or Autism shit like CS. Women go into whatever they feel like, and it's rarely hard shit.

Literally MIT I think got claps for having the highest percent of female CS majors across the entire US - 36%. In my classes at least half of the women who are in "male" fields are women that come from halfway across the planet. There's very few white women in Engineering.
>>
>>24087553
>one answer only
>compsci

not even nearly. how many sorting algorithms achieve nlogn? how many languages or approaches are there to implement anything?
>>
>>24087521
web developer here
can confirm
>>
>>24087521
is this why web developers always bully PHP?
>>
>>24087615
Mathematical and theoretical biology don't real apparently.
>>
>>24086913
>late finishing up an EE lab
>CS or CE major comes in to do her lab
>asks one of the guys for help with a prototyping board
>she thanks him and says "teehee I'm a CS major I have a hard time turning things on"
>she was this petite 5' Indian girl
>>
>>24087712
no that's because php is fucking garbage
>>
>>24087578
>people would always talk about Calculus like this big abstract super-hard mathematics
>had to do Calc 3 and DifEq just for a generic Engineering AS
95% of people are literally retarded.
>>
>>24087553
>interested in law
Are you in law school yet anon? I will pray for you.

>your best friend is law student
>while enrolling during 1L, he is warned not to get a job or he won't be able to pass due to time loss
>studies and works almost constantly
>does 12-16 hour shifts of editing on weekends for law review
>he seems to have an anxiety attack at least twice a month
>breaks down into tears every time a new semester starts
>>
>>24087713
I'm sure he was referring to undergrad biology majors
And even the percent of research biologists who work in any kind of mathematical biology is tiny.. most biologists don't even understand basic statistics other than running OLS regressions in R
>>
>>24087513
Female biologist here, most girls in my major were in it so they could become doctors and think they're accomplished.

I chose it because I was always interested in biology/am bad at math like some other anon said.
>>
opie im male and taking humanities (might switch majors)

i don't want to be surrounded by women that hate me for not being chad
>>
>>24087797
Honestly he just sounds like a huge striver, or he went to a terrible school that fails out a bunch of students to keep its bar pass ratio above ABA-required levels. Law school is really quite easy, the material is basic and can be learned by anyone given some time. 1L basically requires 40 hours workweeks but by 3L you can get away with 20. The people I saw who struggled with law school were those who came straight from undergrad and were not used to treating school as a real job.
>>
>>24087775
math is generally easy as fuck until you hit proofs based stuff

most people are just lazy shits, with non-proofs math you can get good just by doing lots of problems since it's all the same thing over and over again
>>
>>24087632
well thats good to know! thank you for replying desu, i like learning more about CS, feel free to write more if you want,

>>24087797
im not sure of the terminology it might be different from the US but i'm doing a double degree of arts and law. arts is basically criminology though. i've nearly finished my first year of both, getting through exams now, heh thanks for the luck senpai, hope your friend is alright
>>
>>24087954
Most of the crying involves law review and editing, not so much the actual work or studying.
>>
>>24087954
>treating school as a real job
I hate HATE HATE how easy normalfags have it.
>both of their parents are usually educated and can drop $100s a week or so into their account
>they got a job "for experience", not because they have to fucking eat and pad their resumes and because they're in senpai-desu-kun fraternity or stacy-track-lacrosse sorority which will instantly get them more bonus points than interning
>when they were in high-school the counselors and advisors set them up for paperwork, and their family does the paperwork for them
>literally have people who will tell them what scholarships to apply to
>I was literally told when I called the advisor that I might not be university material and should try working for a few years because I am a transfer student (of course it was a bitch)
>I have to go to school because I need a fucking job so I can eat
>"lol I'm going into English Literature and then probably going into politics/management/whatever for my family :^) "
>literally the Chad's in my EE classes copy homework from other people and the teacher grades tests softly and a small percent compared to homework
>>
>>24088064
Out of curiosity, what uni does he go to?
>>
>>24087504
I literally had a career, prospects, and experience down before I hit 18. I didn't know people honestly went to Uni without a plan, that seems stupid to me, unless you're from a country with free university.
>>
>>24088136
This is really specific to law students and not other majors. Law school is basically a job with some studying.

You either do law review (publishing papers for your school), moot court, or some other shit I don't really know. So yes, you think of it in terms of hours per week while taking classes.
>>
>>24080096
STEM + Pedagogy student here. I can explain it because we had little lecture about this when I asked why IT is full of men while math is full of women.

It's all about our brain structure and how these branches solve problems. They're basically the opposites.
My prof compared female brain to fucktons of segregated shelves where everything is labeled and easy to find. Women have more connections between halfs of the brain. Then you check brain activity of a woman, you'll notice she uses whole brain when solving a problem. But both halves of brain are responsible for different things. This means women are better at multitasking, have better access to memory, are more suited to repetitive stuff, but also that stuff that she shouldn't be concerned about now has bigger chance to fuck up her focus. Emotions are good example.

Male brain was compared to pile of non-segregated clothes. Male brain is objective dominated, it's more suited to actually finding this one fucking sock in pile of shit. Males have more connections from the front to the back of the brain which means they can make better usage of what is needed at the time. If you check their brain activity when solving problems, usually one half dominates. This means men can't do as much multitasking as women and can't rely on memory as much, but can do most of the things better and more efficient if they focus on it.

cont.
>>
>>24088303
Now look at the problems in math and IT. In math you learn ways of solving problems and most of tasks is to find out the result of equation or something. In IT and lot of other engineer branches you learn non specified/specialized "blocks" and the task is to achieve certain goal, and the whole problem is how to get to it. In math you have 2+2 = X and X is on the end, in for example programming you know what what your program is supposed to do, but you have to use your creativity to put all these loops, functions, actions and other shit that doesn't do anything on its onw to get already known outcome.
Basically
>math
problem > use memory to remember already known, correct way to solve this problem > discover outcome
>IT
problem > discover/build the path > outcome is already known/specified
All the soft studies, biology, math etc are more about memory and thinking.
All the hard and practical studies are more about creativity and thinking.
Women are followers, men are creators.

Prof didn't tell us why it's like that, but I have a suspicion that we evolved that way because back in the past where strenght was main factor in survival it was obvious that males were the ones who should hunt. Males knew they want to hunt something, they just had to figure out how to do it. They wanted to make it easier and more efficient, they had to figure out how to create tools to make it easier. Women on the other hand were supposed to take care of repetitive stuff like taking care of babies which shit, eat, cry etc every fucking day, pick berries and other stuff, have to watch several childreen at varying age all the time which requires multitasking, and they basically were following the paths and using the tools men already made out of need.

end.
>>
>>24088333
>>24088303
>evo-psych

lmao
>>
>>24088299
Engineers have to do that shit, and TA at the same time, and do interning/research.

Non-STEM degrees are literal memorization, where if you got a bad grade it's because you literally didn't do that assignment. With STEM, they actually scrutinize your work, except if you're the proper race (usually east Asian, but Indians now are getting extra points for being brown).

The time I hear a lawyer getting fired for losing a case I will admit that Law has some standards, until then, STEM actually has performance metrics where if you fuck up you get fired (excluding Asians and women).
>>
>>24088136
I really hate that people treated college like a long vacation, and rich kids still got decent jobs just because of connections. I spent the whole time studying and working, I graduated with a 3.9 and 2 degrees while working since my second year, and never went to any parties or bars or whatever normal college kids do. My job is now 40% people who are like me, and 60% Chads who have never worked hard in their entire lives but got in the same job just because their connections.
>>
>>24088411
this is bullshit
asians have higher requirements in STEM especially when it comes to job opportunities
>>
File: bingo.jpg (200 KB, 800x666) Image search: [Google]
bingo.jpg
200 KB, 800x666
>>24088303
>>24088333
is this bait or a real evo psy believer
>>
File: 1392838418090.jpg (242 KB, 630x400) Image search: [Google]
1392838418090.jpg
242 KB, 630x400
>>24088578
>he thinks evolutionary psychology is nonsense

>>24088303
>>24088333
haven't read your post quite yet but already like it, you're pissing off the right people
>>
>>24088374
>>24088578
Just suspicion. I'm not biologist/geneticist to know how exactly evolution works, I have just some basic knowledge. It makes sense to me. Care to point out what's wrong or send me to some lecture which explains why something like this doesn't have any sense?
>>
>>24088711
>>24088701

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_evolutionary_psychology
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 399x388
How can someone who lives life on easy mode be a psychologist? That's like being a mechanic who has never driven a car in his life.
>>
>>24088711
Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's true. See, I won't say evo-psych is complete bullshit, but alot of it is just mere speculation.
>>
>>24088136
In england we call that being middle class

>>24088256
Yeah I am, england. Then again, I'm quite an asset to my country now they've paid for me. They probably should just stop funding arts this way.

>>24088303
>>24088333
Possibly true. Don't listen to the evolutionary psychology denialists, they are the equals of creationists.

>>24088743
Yes I understand there are criticisms. There are criticisms of physics too m8. If you think the whole field is bunk, you have been deluded by feminists who want everything to be socialised so they can complain about differences.
>>
>>24088256
Funny bro same here except I began investing when I was 13. Now I live lavishly off of capital gain and go fuck around at my university taking upper level math classes and acing them without studying at all. Careers always seemed like they were meant for proles.
>>
>>24088711
To believe in it, you need to decide to believe in determinism. It is just based on believing a idea and has no evidence to back it.

>do you believe in fate?
If you answered no to this, I don't recommend studying evolutionary psychology. Especially because the field is hilarious to everyone besides people who believe in evolutionary psychology. This shit is on par with being a Christian mom, it's a bible for neckbeards.
>>
>>24088902
evo-psych is even less scientific than psychology
it's effectively unverifiable speculation
>>
Why are wagekeks and future wagekeks so fucking cringeworthy
>muh major
>muh career
>muh future employment
>muh money
You are fucked anyway, might as well rot away as a neet.
>>
File: descartes.jpg (782 KB, 1122x1600) Image search: [Google]
descartes.jpg
782 KB, 1122x1600
>>24088796
Ever wondered why psychologists depicted in the mainstream, be it movies or games, are always male? That's because women suck at and rarely even become psychologists to begin with. They just choose the easiest shit to study while they look for a provider.

There's no reason to be upset about it. It just proves that women are inferior normies.
>>
I am a female and I tried doing computer science. My computer programs weren't functional but, very pretty. If they had more art in the program more girls would find it more applealing.
>>
>>24088333
Except programming used to be regarded as a chore for women. I think it can be seen as a multitasking job.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/computer-programming-used-to-be-womens-work-718061/?no-ist
>>
>>24089110
if you can't appreciate the beauty of a well architected codebase then you don't know what beauty is
>>
>>24089110
this has to be bait, no woman would ever say this shit

>try compsci
>w-why isn't there a drawing tablet attached to my computer??
>>
File: tumblr_m9ffnrV95U1r1vzzeo2_500.jpg (44 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9ffnrV95U1r1vzzeo2_500.jpg
44 KB, 500x282
>>24089110
I do not know this poster's gender, but this poster is a troll who lives under a bridge.

>>24088934
>>24088931
>This many anti-scientific creationists coming out of the woodwork at the mention of some science
>>
>>24080197
>>24082202
There's obviously going to be more programmers in the near future, programming is going to be easier because of new tools and our salary is going to be shit.
Face it guys, we are studying the wrong career.
>>
>>24089417
somebody has to write those tools
somebody has to be able to code for embedded systems, low-level hardware shit, etc.

sure some stuff will get easier and devalue those careers, but there will always be niches that earn big money, you just have to keep learning
>>
>>24080096
I suspect that the real difference is that in math you have to convince another person that your proof is correct while in CS you have to convince a unfeeling machine that your program is correct and it doesn't give a fuck how obviously that missing semicolon was just a typo.
>>
>>24080197
pfff, AI is the future kiddo
>>
File: evopsychinclass.png (341 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
evopsychinclass.png
341 KB, 1000x1000
>>24089353
>evo-psych
>psych
>"science"
>>
File: Screenshot.png (68 KB, 868x607) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
68 KB, 868x607
>>24089417
I don't think so and bbc don't think so
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941
>>
>>24088931
>>24089654
>>24088934
Sociology is at least as unscientific as evolutionary psychology. In any case, there are clear gender differences in the brain.
>>
>>24089654
ebin mene bro
>>
>>24090030
Sure, but you could just go study neuroscience if you wanted to learn about brains or some kind of field where you stand in a lab and actually look at results and test things to record data.
>>
>>24088743
Found it already with couple of few other links but thanks.

>>24088841
Yes. And this criticism I've just read about is legit, it has some good points. The problem is I never claimed the evolution part is truth. I said I have suspicion and I see nothing wrong with it. You have a suspicion, check if it is supported by something (or the opposite: look what you have and make up your suspicion from this) and then test it. And ofc I have no knowledge in specific branches, nor skills and tools to test it so it's just wondering, opinion, somethign to discuss about on imageboard. But of course some autists had to sperg out.
Also any branch that operates on stuff that passed and isn't coming back, or is out of our reach to test it proparly yet has the same problem to some extent.

>>24089185
1. How different was early programming/the work they did back then from current programming? How different is education that prepares people for programming now?
2. Doesn't this validate what I said above about taking over the job of conditioning from the nature if article isn't based on any fallacy?
3. Are there chances that programming is perfect for women was overestimation because people didn't know how it will develop in the future? Blaming some evil men who wanted to take over because they seen cash in it sounds like typical SJW bullshit. Not to mention I can't imagine serious busines completely overhauling their hiring policy because of some tests, disregarding years of experience, but that's maybe because I don't live in the america which seems to have lot of idiocy.
>>
>>24088931
Can't you take over the job of forming surroundings from nature with enough selfawarness and tools? Brainwashing, pavlov dogs and other stuff like that is a thing, might be worth checking what long time effects living in man-made pollution has (for example apparently mices which were under effect of slight radiation developed more resistance to it than mices who were not exposed to it, overdose ofc was lethal). If you treat evolution as constant change for adaptation, then on micro scale within 1 subject even getting rougher, thicker skin on your palms when working manual labour with shovel would apply. Then you have to check how much it affects your internal mechanisms, how much of it is passed and how many generations you need to get permament, visible change.
If you could control it, is it still fate? It reminds me one of these "full circle discussions" like "what was first, egg or chicken?" or "if humans are animals and beaver-made dams on rivers are percieved as natural, then man-made stuff should also be natural which means nothing can be unnatural". Basically it's a matter of how deep you go. In STEM you can also circlejerk over incertanity, but it's the practice that decides when you can stop giving a shit about it. For example table parts don't need to be as precise as electronics.

>>24090100
Science isn't only about records. It's also about going deeper and explaination. Sure you can record that there are differences, but you can also try to find out WHY there are these differences, what caused them.
>>
>>24080096
most math majors go on to be high school math teachers
Working with children=women
Also lower pay
Women will never be a major of math and science because it incurs no benefits to them. They evolutionary goals focus on children, getting men to do things for them, and family
>>
>>24090254
You're thinking of philosophy. Yes, it has its place in the world but it is not scientific. Talking about ideas and knowledge is wonderful but it's not a STEM major, it's part of liberal arts.

Philosophy has done its part to contribute to the creation of all kinds of sciences, but nothing said in philosophy is right or wrong. Just like evo-psych, it is simply speculation and ideas with no actual records to back it.

You don't need to feel bad for studying evo-psych, plenty of people involved in philosophy and ideas are considered geniuses to humanity. Just don't expect to have much influence in the STEM fields because they will never take you seriously if you can't produce visible and accurate results.
>>
File: 1444274312987.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1444274312987.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>24080096
Because it's not Women's Studies.
>>
File: image.png (185 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
185 KB, 640x1136
>>24080376

Philospohy was nothing but warm watery poop juice tbqh senpai

>implying pyschology was ever good
disgusting faggot
>>
Is Biotech S or T?
>>
>>24090389
>You don't need to feel bad for studying evo-psych
But I don't. As I've stated in one of previous posts, I study one of STEM paths + pedagogy to have licence to teach as an option. This whole evopsych talk was started because someone brought it up as response to me wondering what could be the reason for the differences in brain we can see today. Where is your reading comprehesion?
>>
I'm a girl. I studied nursing. After college, I got a job paying 80k a year to work 11pm to 7:30am. I got so burned out from night shift that I quit, and now make $60k a year on day shift 8-5 with the potential to move up to 80-90k if I become a case manager. Why do comp sci?
>>
>>24090605
So you don't have to touch pee pee and poo poo and interact with cranky people at a hospital.
>>
>>24090605
you could get an 80k job working 9 to 5
>>
>>24090639
Yeah I don't just blood now.

>>24090670
Yeah but I job hopped, so I'll stay here a while first
>>
>>24086954
>There is no way math is 42% female. Women can't do proofs worth shit.
You can basically study maths without understanding much of it. Just learn the dogmas and copy homework assignments from your male colleagues.
>>
>>24090605
cause University isn't only to get a decent paying job
>>
Studying comp sci. I want to do my masters in information security. Is this a good area to go into?
>>
>>24086954
Philosophy seems cool. a bunch of high IQ drug addicts with no future, just trying to party & bullshit
>>
>>24090830
hell yeah
security is growing and not enough people are going into it
if you're going for a masters though i would say do something like crypto or theoretical stuff
>>
also grill here, became a pharmacist, make 75k working 9-5 monday to thursday doing next to nothing at a quiet pharmacy

you can keep your "traditionally male" jobs
>>
>>24089789

>bbc doesn't think so
>must be true

Thanks for playing.
>>
File: Punch_card_Fortran.jpg (281 KB, 1280x575) Image search: [Google]
Punch_card_Fortran.jpg
281 KB, 1280x575
>>24090195
>1. How different was early programming/the work they did back then from current programming?
back in the old days, it mas mainly punching holes into punchcards
>>
>>24090876
i'd kill myself if i was a pharmacist or some stupid bullshit like that, even if i was well-paid

i need to do some shit with some room for growth and innovation rather than some repetitive nonsense otherwise i'll end up shooting myself
>>
File: 1446574741720.jpg (298 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1446574741720.jpg
298 KB, 1462x1462
>>24090959
>I like my job
>>
>>24090818
What's it for, then? Wtf is this robot
>>
>>24088303
>>24088333
/thread

keks and cunts can fuck off, the man is right
>>
>>24090876
>you can keep your "traditionally male" jobs

Glad to hear it pal, and nice work on the salary.

Would you mind telling your feminist counterparts to bring it down a notch then? They're really fucking up the subjects we like.
>>
>>24080096

Because they want to float by in a teaching position. They figure math will be less competitive than the fields where every wannabe teacher is getting a degree (English)
>>
>>24080135
Economics
>>
>>24090959
i'm sure it will get boring, but could always move on to a hospital or a busy chain pharmacy... funny thing is what I really wanted was be a car mechanic but dropped out due to relentless bullying from the boys (i'm 30, back then this was okay)
>>
>>24080458

Lawyering is safe. A robot can't emotionally manipulate a jury and never will be able to.
>>
>>24091046
do you ever steal any drugs?
>>
>>24080096
>comp sci is easier
>than math
L O L
higher level cs courses are purely theory and math driven. Unless you're specializing in computer hardware, there's literally no way to escape the theory shit.
>>
>>24091050
>implying we will need lawyers when criminals have their chip deactivated remotely and die off
>>
>>24088333
>math
>use memory to solve problems
maybe at Bumfuck-Nowhere University
>>
>>24091075
What is higher level; postgrad? My experience of both is at undergraduate level, but curious to learn more.
>>
>>24091075
"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics; the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians."
- Djikstra
>>
>>24091080

There will always be a need for lawyers.

Most of law isn't about criminals, it's about cheesing the rules. As long as we're governed by rules, there will be people who stand to make a mint by cheesing them.
>>
Has anyone pointed out yet that when our jobs are automated we wont have to work anymore and well essentially live in a utopia?
>>
>>24091092
It actually is until you go into research, which is why virtually all mathematics researchers are male.
>>
>>24091165

The problem is there will be a shitty period between full automation and partial where unemployment goes through the roof and there aren't even close to enough jobs for the population. That teetering point is when things get nasty.
>>
>>24091046
>dropped out due to relentless bullying from the boys (i'm 30, back then this was okay)

I am around your age and I must say it is amazing how quickly things have changed. In today's world a woman can go into whatever she feels and no one will bat an eyelash. Back when I was in high school there was one girl in shop class and we all made jokes about how she was probably a muff diver. Today when I pick up my brother from high school he says half the shop class is girls.
>>
File: glorified fast food worker.jpg (35 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
glorified fast food worker.jpg
35 KB, 450x320
>>24090959
>Be pharmacist
>Graduate after 15 years of college
>400K in debt
>Standing inside Walgreens at my "office"
>Grandma comes in
>"Hello ma'am, may I help you?"
>Grandma shoves over her prescription
>"Here, I'll be in the waiting area."
>"Okay, thank you ma'am. That'll be 20 minutes."
>Grandma glares at me every few minutes to see what I'm doing
>Mutters under her breath "What's taking so long? You just count some pills!"
>Quickly shuffling back and forth between rows of drugs, trying to call doctor, checking for interactions with other drugs
>Finally have it ready
>Grandma slowly walks up, rolls her eyes at the counter
>"Here you go ma'am, any questions?"
>"NO!", as she snatches her drugs and walks away
>Quickly go back to filling someone else's drugs

>"Ahhh, I love my job!"
>>
>>24091165

There's no such thing. Outside of drugs there is no greater feeling than accomplishment.

If you want to play video games all day on autismbux you already can. You can live in a van and play video games at the Galloping Ghost arcade for $375 for a year.

None of it will leave you fulfilled. We live in a nation where consumer products are dirt cheap but we're still unhappy. There's no beating that unless you go achieve something or you're high on something that replaces that feeling.
>>
>>24091165

Forgot the other problem, when people have nothing but time on their hands and no responsibilities for the most part, they will quickly become hedonistic nutbars. There will likely be a heavy influx of substance dependence, suicide, violence and so on due to the lack of purpose along with things to fill the day. A lot of people meet friends, start relationships and such at work, so it becomes a major socializer for people after school.
>>
>>24091165
That's if it ever happens. Robots are still pretty crap. It might be 30 or 40 years until we see any sci-fi-esque AI. That might even be an optimistic estimate. Some jobs probably are at risk like retail, working in fast food, warehouses. I think though there will be opposition to it.
>>
>>24091229
it's literally as easy as reading the script off the paper and entering what you see on the computer, the computer also catches any interactions

also I don't know what in the great blue hell you were doing for 15 years, it took me 5 years and 70k of debt which I paid off in 2 years
>>
>>24091165
>utopia
A world without work is a world without purpose. Humans, and especially men, have evolved to be busy and to solve problems. This is how men find out who they are, it's what gives them a sense of meaning and belonging.
>>
>>24091229
I can't wait until 90% of medical jobs are replaced by robots. Some country will do it and they will be rich beyond belief.

>Doctor's are usually from super-wealthy families
>they have to do 10-12 years (keeps out a lot of those worthless folks)
>still can't scratch 5% of medicine
>people actually believe they can remember the hundreds of diseases they learned, the interactions, physical basis, etc
>pharmacology is one of those fields
>they literally believe humans are better than robots at remembering 1000s of medications, 10,000 interactions, and putting pills in a bottle
>they literally believe it's worth $75k to be a pharmacist when 3/4 the work is done by "Pharmacy Techs", usually 2-4 year graduates or even stockboys that were obedient for years (literally a friend of mine who had a felony for being a painkiller addict)
>general medical business is 300 kinds of specialists, backed by 10 lawyers a piece
It'll be priceless to see the looks on the Jews faces when robots are doing medicine 20x faster, more reliably because they're not trying to kek non-wealthy patients, and better because they can actually use the theories instead of following whatever pop-medicine is in style that year
>>
>>24091165
The first thing anyone should automate is food production. I don't mean fast food, I mean farming and livestock. Start from the bottom, cover all the necessities that EVERYONE needs and then we can move on to more specific needs and desires. But that's probably not what we'll be doing, we'll probably start off automating low skill jobs- which will effectively fuck over a lot of people.
>>
File: limb.jpg (70 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
limb.jpg
70 KB, 900x600
>>24091307
>30 or 40 years
You realize 20 years ago, about 15% of the world had computers and we were playing with SNES, right?

Robotics has advanced so much that people are now getting literal robot arms that can read thoughts.

You fuckers are going to be immortal in 30 to 40 years.
>>
>>24091426
>You realize 20 years ago
>we were playing with SNES, right?
As opposed to what? Playing with PS3 and the Power of Cell?
>>
Is there even a point to go to uni if you can't do math?
>>
>>24091485
Relatively speaking the consoles were reasonably powerful at the time.

With stupid shit like machine learning, optical processors, IBM or Intel releasing either memristor or some other hyperflash within a year or two, technology is looking great
>>
File: 2Dpussy.jpg (53 KB, 634x337) Image search: [Google]
2Dpussy.jpg
53 KB, 634x337
>>24091485
>PS3
>techonology so advance that you can fuck imaginary cartoon pussy with the right amount of money
>>
>>24091400
when the robots replace the jobs, all those med students and recent grads will be completely boned and stuck with $200,000+ debt and a useless degree
>>
>>24091579
It won't happen in America though. Jews are wayyyyyyyyy to strong to let that happen. You already see how hard they push to even have doctors use electronic records. In NY, it's illegal for me to have my medical records without the doctors consent, after I make a written request. That's a thing.
>>
>>24091547
Drink and party, you retard
>>
>>24091636
>another country invents immortality
>rich people will get the fuck out of this country to go buy robot bodies
>people start going fucking crazy because it's not a human right
>everyone made immortal so they shut the fuck up

This is how it always goes.
>>
File: 1446148365656.jpg (30 KB, 309x534) Image search: [Google]
1446148365656.jpg
30 KB, 309x534
>>24086446
>male who lurks /r9k/
>sys admin
>get along with co-workers except for bitch cunt who doesn't fucking work
>get dragged along to the bar
>pull out skittles
>explain they help with the taste
>boss forcing me to drink this shit to impress the witch
>cunty slut mocking me
>cunty bitch sucks off Chad in the bathroom

I don't understand why women bother entering this industry. They're incompetent and divide the cohesiveness of the workplace. Giving women the right to vote was a mistake tbqh smdh famm
>>
>>24092122
I wasn't laughing at him anon, I meant he was endearing.
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.