[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw for the 1st time ever I have $1,000 to my name and no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: shutterstock_89646121.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_89646121.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
>tfw for the 1st time ever I have $1,000 to my name and no bills to the 25th

It took 3 years of living paycheck to paycheck but im finally saving money. Were all gunna make it bros
>>
>tfw just got my monthly 6k perdiem check

lel
>>
>tfw $25k signing bonus hits your bank account
lel
>>
>>24075329
Good for you man. Dont fuck your shit up
>>
Good for you, broseph.
>>
Here comes all the "rich" anons who still post on r9k

Lmao
>>
>>24075505
Fucking this. Yes 1k isn't much but it obviously means a lot to this anon. Congrats on the achievement brother and don't let these idiots piss on your parade. Even though some of us make better money than you we're all robots in the end.
>>
>tfw i go spelunking and find a treasure chest filled with 24k golden dubloons worth approximately 7.2 million dollars
>>
>tfw probably not going to be debt free until July

Was hoping March but that's looking unlikely. It's been so long since I've actually been able to put away savings. I'm hoping by the end of next year I can have at least $10,000.

It's pathetic, really. I've been in the same job for almost a decade and still live pay check to pay check with no savings.
>>
>>24075600
Why is that? Whats your monthly pay and expenses?
>>
>>24075661
Monthly pay is around over $3,200 after tax. Rent is $1100 a month.

After Gas, Electricity, Water, Phone and Internet I'm left with roughly $1759. Deduct maybe another $500 or so for Groceries and fuel leaving me around $1200.

The big problem is I've spent $6000 on alcohol and fast food since March, so roughly $750 a month habit. Which leaves around $450 which goes towards debt. Often I would make higher payments which would result in me buying more booze with credit cards of which I'm paying off debt.

Two weeks sober so that's a start. Trying to get my life back on track but having debt hovering over my head for another 8 months or so is unappealing.
>>
>>24075505

>being so poor you think a lower to middle class tier money is "rich" and should exclude anyone from posting here
>>
>>24075932
I was gonna say, booze (and cigs and weed) is a HUGE money sink, but good on you for quitting. That should really help for things.

You really do need to break the habit of making a good payment then spending a bunch and just taking it back on. I know plenty of people who fall into that trap, and you can hardly ever break out of it. Instead of going balls to the ball, just hold off until next month and if you have a budgetary surplus, spend like $50 on something nice for yourself and pay the debt with the rest. That way you can motivate yourself to make the goal by thinking of that material thing.

The biggest thing thats killing you here is rent. You're paying a 35% of your income. Typically, landlords look for a tenant to pay 30%, as thats considered affordable to the average person and theres a significantly lower risk of non/delinquent payment. Since you have a lot of debt, you really should target somewhere closer to 25% or $800/mo or even cheaper if possible. Ofc, this isn't too controllable if your ll is your mom or you live in SF. I personally went for 20% on my first apartment. The key is to go on apartments.com, sort local listings by rating, then call them in order and ask if they have a vacancy and how much. Go with the cheapest one that isnt run by a slumlord. Avoid places with a website or advertise on craigslist.

$400 on those bills is kind of steep. I don't know how you'd break it down, but consider cutting internet to the most basic tier, sharing a phone plan with friends (For mine, its ~$90 for a single line, but with a family plan, it cuts it down to $27/person), google hypermilling for gas, and doing things like turning off heat when youre not at home or fridge if you don't use it. I only heat one room in winter, and with no fridge, I can get my electric down to $15-18 for a 2br apt

Cont'd
>>
>>24076285
The biggest thing you can do to help out, it sucks but consider getting a roommate. Other than obviously cutting your rent and fixed utilities in half, which is HUGE, you also end up benefiting in less expected ways, like being able to share a ride to the grocery, buying in bulk for better deals, and reducing the time you have to spend to clean up the place. I got a roommate and it cut my costs so much that I could afford to eat out literally every night and end up on top compared to before (Roommate pays in about 675, which works out to an extra $22.50/day spending to break even)

Again, different situations for different folks, I'm up to being able to save 66% of my posttax income now, doing all this, but I hope it helps you out.
>>
>>24076392
>>24076285
Neat. It's shit like this that makes me feel more confident about getting my own place soon. I try to talk about this sort of stuff with my dad or uncles and they look at me like I'm a boring worrywart .

>It's probably just because when they were my age, starting wages were good enough that a single male didn't have to worry about making money stretch. They spent money like dumb fucks and were never the worse for it...
>>
wagecukcs are pathetic. sacrificed 3 years to try and get another luxury item that will rust and be outdated next year
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 602x501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 602x501
>>24075329
>>24075434

>tfw when trying to sound like a richfag but you don't know what "tfw" means
>>
>>24077098
Its 'That feeling when' not 'That face when' you autist.
>>
>>24076392
I really should look at getting a roommate but I've been living alone for four years and it would be really unpleasant to have to get one after so much time alone. I love living alone.

As for the rent my hours got cut back about a year and half after moving in. It just meant I had to make sacrifices and really wasn't noticeable until I developed a drinking problem and went overseas.

I'm not moving. I'm close to home and moving comes with it's own set of new expenses. It's not an option at all until my debt is cleared.

I wont get cheaper for my bills. In electricity and gas I'm using less than 1/3rd of the average 1 person household in my area. Utilities are just exorbitantly expensive in Australia. Nothing I can do about that. My Internet is the cheapest unlimited plan available.

I honestly think I'll be fine and the best thing I could have done was never spend so much money on alcohol.

If all that money had been put towards my debt I'd have around $3000 left to clear which would be gone in no time.
>>
>>24075302
Americans literally live like shit your pay fucking sucks idk if you're actually American but it sounds like it you can work in a grocery store here in Australia and make good money and live a comfy life suck shit faggots.
>>
>>24077231
Do you live in/near a city?
Because you could get a roommate easy.
>>
>>24077313
Nope. About 40 mins from the city. As I said, I really don't want one. When I move out of here I'll probably look to find a job and place closer to the city but for the time being this quiet place, 5 minutes from work, is ideal.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.