[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qst/ - Quests

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 101
File: wqdt.gif (461 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
wqdt.gif
461 KB, 600x600
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

>QM
What do you think of /qst/ as a QM?

>Player
What do you think of /qst/ as a Player?
>>
As a player I like this board
However (most likely on my end) I'm having trouble updating threads, as in when I click update it doesn't, and the auto update function isn't working for me either. It's not all the time, but it's enough that it's bothering me.
Finally, the board needs a little more activity, but hopefully that will come with time
>>
Fuck this board. This is the only post I'll ever make here.
>>
>>11035

Thread up on /tg/.

>>46981568
>>
>>11035
>What do you think of /qst/ as a QM?

I think that quests didn't HAVE to leave /tg/, but now that the deed is done we should try and make the best out of our current situation. Try and make good quests, post good content, participate in other people's quests as players, and try and do some wod-of-mouth to bring people here.

It would be great if we could post in other boards to advertise our quests without fear of causing flamewars or being banned or stuff like that. I haven't tried yet because I'm afraid it will be taken badly by a lot of people, and causing MORE resentment is the one thing we do not want to happen right now.

From a purely technical PoV, poster IDs, larger character limits and text formatting make /qst/ better than /tg/ for running quests. The problem will be being on such a slow board. (which is why I wanted them to stay on /tg/, or better yet letting them go each to its own board)

...Yeah, my only real complaint of /qst/ is that it's slow. I haven't seen the update bug that plagued other people, thankfully.

Finally, the sticky needs to go in more detail on how dice and text formatting work.

Let's see if this board dies, or comes into its own. In either case, I'll still be making Quests (either here or back on /tg/ if this experiment fails).
>>
File: tegaki.png (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
14 KB, 400x400
>>11035
Everything is working great, lots of fun new quests albeit im waiting for 12 of them to update...
>>
>>11057
>tfw
Don't be discouraged, if you get bored about the wait times and leave it'll only make it worse for everyone else. I don't mind long waiting times as long as I can see other players are interacting
That said, perhaps there needs to be a control system for QM's that start a thread and then leave without a trace for more than a day or so,
because while I haven't been here long I can see that being a problem
>>
So by the way what ARE the tags for italics, bold, and color? I need to post soon and I don't want to make a new thread just to try them. I also don't really want to botch them and look like an ass in front of my (admittedly few) players.
>>
Reminder that meta-threads aren't actually allowed on /qst/ and that this is against the rules.
>>
File: tegaki.png (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
10 KB, 400x400
>>11085
>>
>>11035
Actually, I think this is against the rules, board is _only_ for quests, not quest-related discussion.
> If you do not intend to run a collaborative story, do not post a thread here! This includes meta-threads.
>>
File: 1421091007404.png (1 MB, 2200x2200) Image search: [Google]
1421091007404.png
1 MB, 2200x2200
Well, I intend to run a quest so let's go from there and see what happens.

I'm kinda thinking about maybe running a new Tau Quest, now that there's a board for it. It was pretty popular in 2010 but I feel like maybe that lightning can't be bottled a second time, especially with some of the jackassery that followed on /tg/, afterwards; and I don't want to bump another thread off the board while I equivocate on it so I figured, the quest discussion thread is a great place to discuss running a quest.
>>
>>11035

There's a possibility it could work. The move wasn't necessary, but it could be okay. There are just a lot of inherent problems that we can't really fix. All we can do is hope they sort themselves out.

The primary problem is that this board, despite being a new shiny thing, is barely getting enough traffic right now to keep a few threads aloft. Most have already ended and degenerated into random discussion, and the QMs have no intention of returning, because they were just here to play around with the new board and aren't really interested. This is only going to become a more severe problem as time goes on, as few people are going to actually look at a board called /qst/ and bother clicking on it.

My opinion is that QMs and posters from /tg/ should sit back and watch. If this board attracts enough QMs that may actually run regularly, that's good. Give possible newcomers room to do their thing, see what the board looks like in their hands, because the number of regular QMs on /tg/ alone can't possibly sustain this place.
>>
File: 4GNrKUO.jpg (948 KB, 1841x3681) Image search: [Google]
4GNrKUO.jpg
948 KB, 1841x3681
We need more civ threads
>>
I used to run a quest on /tg/ that went on for awhile but the Real Life got in the way. I find this a very interesting dynamic as there kind of two distinct communities on /tg/ from what I remember from then, and now those communities will have their own boards. /qst/ and /tg/ are probably both going to slow a bit during the transition but I for one welcome our new /qst/ overlords.

>>11196
Hell yeah. Civ threads are great.
>>
File: Possible Mech Quest.png (16 KB, 780x1177) Image search: [Google]
Possible Mech Quest.png
16 KB, 780x1177
How do you avoid waifus in your quest?
>>
>>11035
>What do you think of /qst/ as a Player?
It looks nice in here. A little weird, but I see a lot of potential. I hope that both players and QMs alike will like it here, and we'll manage to make an actually good place.
>>
>>11252
Personally, I'm trying to use it to my advantage.
>>
>>11252
What >>11266 said.

Sex sells. It's in the nature of things. Some well-used waifus can be great to increase interest and participation in your quest.

...I know that sounds awfully manipulative, but I don't really mean it that way. Think of it as "giving the audience what it wants".

Not too much, though. If you make it too easy, if you waifu too much, it will be hard later to top yourself if you'll need id.

You need to be judicious with your waifus. They can be your most powerful weapon, but they're a double-edged blade.

Only the most skilled QMs can properly wield it without fear.
>>
>>11196
Desperately
>>
>QM
I feel like a lot of other quest runners will be hesitant to move to a board like this. Me, on the other hand, think that this is neat and will be making my own quest here shortly.

>Player
I like /qst/ as a player. Before, I had to look through the catalog to search for any interesting quests amidst the hodgepodge of other /tg/ threads. Here, I can browse through every quest easily. It's neat.
>>
>>11055
If you want advertise your thread Twitter is a good way
>me and some other dudes tweet when threads go up etc.
>>
>>11252
It just happens. Trying to resist it is counterproductive, if your character is a woman and popular, she's going to wind up as someone's waifu; and if that someone is an industrious drawfriend, the effect will be multiplied.
>>
>>11035
I'm afraid we will lose /tg/ roleplayers and gain a crowd that has nothing to do with rpgs, sending quests into a spiral of memery and /b/-grade material.
On the other hand, the board could help quest prosper and foster better writers, players, and mechanics. I want to believe...
Wait and see, for now.

The board settings are nice, but drawing is useless IMO. Everyone has paint on his computer.
I'm glad we have pictures for everybody now.

Not impressed byt the current quests.
>>
>>11252
Have an mc that they can't ship. For example, in my quest there is a ten meter long snek.
>>
>>11379
>Not impressed byt the current quests
none of them?
>>
>>11406
It could very well act as a penis. I think you underestimate how fanatic waifufags can get.
>>
>>11379
No one either has too serious of a quest idea, with all the bells and whistles of a /tg/ quest, to run on a trial board, and a lot of people are worried that since it's a trial board that it would get erased with the board.
>>
/diy/ reporting, gotta say for all the general drama snd shitstormery going on between /tg/ and /qst/, this board feels comfy as fuck. Even this meta thread is full of sensible discussion. Perhaps this is because all the raging autists that have stayed on /tg/ whinging instead of coming over? Maybe there's just way more anons for than against the split?

Either way, as births go, this has been fairly graceful. Hopefully the fucklords get sick of whinging, stay true to their word and fuck off from both boards.

Godspeed you roleplaying faggots.
>>
>>11416
I should have said not interested.
IMO, a quest needs four elements to be successful.
>a relatable/simple/well-known setting, so it's easy to get in (a quest based on babylonian mythos may be a bit too hermetic)
>an original beginning/point of view, so it sparks interest and creativity from both players and QM.
>a good execution.
>a reasonable amount of non-retarded players, so threads don't become shitfests, circlejerks, or railroads.
I have not yet found a quest that satisfies the 4 elements on this board. Admittedly, I may have missed a couple ones.
>>11516
For now, the two quest from /tg/ that I've seen seems to be mostly on topic and to keep their audience. So far so good.
>>
>>11608
>Godspeed you roleplaying faggots.
may your hammer always miss your thumb you imitation crab meat eating pallet-meister
>>
>>11608
Too bad meta threads aren't actually allowed here, so fuck your comfiness.
>>
>>11035
Every quest I follow has announced a hiatus while the QMs observe how this board will roll.

This is not okay.
>>
>>11643
Tell them to stop being pussies.
>>
>>11608
>Perhaps this is because all the raging autists that have stayed on /tg/ whinging instead of coming over?

Yeah, user IDs make it much harder to pretend you're many people, so they stick on /tg/.
>>
>>11639
Lighten the fuck up. Its a new board, they happen for the first few weeks as people discuss their ideas on how they'd like shit to roll, then the mods (who were hopefully paying attention) start dropping the hammers. This thread will die a natural death.

>>11630
This triggers the /diy/nosaur.
>>
>>11252
It's impossible. Someone wants to fuck one of the cats. There's nothing that can be done short of eliminating female characters altogether.
>>
>>11695
Tried that once. Didn't take well.
>>
File: 1331505663348.jpg (29 KB, 502x275) Image search: [Google]
1331505663348.jpg
29 KB, 502x275
So does someone pitch a game here, or in the pitch thread?

The pitch thread is mighty garbage tho. Like, holy fuck.
>>
File: why.png (14 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
why.png
14 KB, 800x450
>>11252
>avoid waifus
>>
>>11589
>>
How the archivation of the quests will be handled from now on?
>>
>>11830
LL has given sup/tg/ a section for /qst/
>>
>>11830
Suptg made an archive for /qst/
>>
>>11830
Honestly I'm not sure why they went forward with a quest board that doesn't have a built-in long term archive. It'd be the biggest reason to move here, but instead there's nothing.
>>
>>11660
Myeah... It can be circumvened without too much effort. But let's cross our fingers it remains this way.
>>
>>11291
>Some well-used waifus
SLUTS

pls use more slutty waifus, Rachel is great
>>
>>11035

I honestly hate it, I've seen abunch of shitty quests literally pop up. Where as before you had most being real attempts at something, now its just worthless bullshit. I personally hope it does not stick around and we go back to /tg/.

Also not a fan of the ID because it reminds me of /pol/ but that's personal taste.
>>
>>11716
You're making me sad, Anon.
>>
>>11876
At first most of /qst/s content was shitposting, I just hope nothing dies because of this shit storm
>>
>>11895
Par for the course for a freshly opened board, I'd say.
>>
>>11895
Oh shit is gonna die because of it, We had maybe 10? Real QM's who did it and that was Wednesdays and Friday - sunday.

I'm also terrified of when Planefag has to move his quest here.
>>
This place is buggy and all the QM's I follow are skittish of running here
>>
Anybody's opinion on war games?
>>
>>11910
I haven't encountered a single bug this entire time. This place looks to be working just fine now, so tell your QMs to grow a pair.
>>
>>11933
antiquestfag pls go & stay go
>>
>>11933
I trust xs and that qm that ran that skeleton quest than you random anon
>>
>>11933
I trust the fact that I still can't get the feedback thread to autoreload without 4chanx.
>>
>>11939
XS was barely on for a few hours before the mods straightened crap out. Not only that, but the data collection on these "bugs" is ass.

Were they using third party scripts? What browser are they using? Basic shit like that was never really discussed. We just got statements like "Oh, it's not working."

>>11945
Tell me your setup.
>>
>>11951
>Not only that, but the data collection on these "bugs" is ass.
Why bother if you're pretty sure nobody is actually reading. That there is a rolling "feedback" thread should be enough for you to realize how useless it is.
>>
>>11964
That fucking thing was worthless. I couldn't even get into the god damn thing.
>>
I'm not even from /tg/. My quests were on /vp/.
I was considering trying one out on /tg/, but then this board appeared. I really don't know how well it would have gone on /tg/.
>>
>>11967
I can lurk in the feedback fine, it just takes a while for the page to load and I need to f5 just to make the thread move forward.
>>
>>11977
Probably fine, unless you wanted to get us to fuck Pokémans.
>>
>>11919
What kind
>>
>>11964
>>11967
This is the exact same board software used in boards like /i/, which works just fine. It's not like they wrote an entirely new script for this board, they just enabled options that were already there. I'm running on pure vanilla firefox and I've experienced literally none of these problems, so the only thing I can think of is that your setup has conflicts that you never experienced before because you were just on /tg/.
>>
>>11981
That's actually pretty common for extremely long threads, in all honesty. The auto-update starts to get real iffy after about 800 posts, and after 1000 it's entirely up to chance whether it will work or not. This happens a lot on /vg/
>>
>>11981
That's not fucking fine then, That's bad.

>>11977
Toss it up and see how it goes, A lot of the people are comfy just retarded.

>>11989
I'm sorry but I fucking lurk with both a computer and phone in /a/aco/co/news/pol/sci/tg/ and never once did I have any fucking problems like i'm currently facing.
>>
>>11983
No, nothing like that. It's a fantasy adventure. But my quests are drawn as comic pages, which can take time. I was worried that would be a problem on a board as fast as /tg/.

>>12004
It's already up here on /qst/ and seems to be doing fine. If /qst/ ends up going under, I guess I'll try moving it to /tg/ and see what happens. Not really sure what will happen to this board yet, though.
>>
>>12018
>which can take time
You might run in the 48h autosage if it's more of a slow-paced quest with an update a day or something. (Hello Hex)
>>
>>12023
Not like the autosage will do anything if it takes a week for threads to fall off the board.
>>
>>12004
>I'm sorry but I fucking lurk with both a computer and phone in /a/aco/co/news/pol/sci/tg/ and never once did I have any fucking problems like i'm currently facing.

None of those have the draw or text options which again, might be causing a conflict with some third party stuff you might have. None of the stuff on the imageboard side of the equation has changed: these features are all part of 4chan and have been for a long time. This board was not made from scratch, after all.
>>
>>11035

>QM
What do you think of /qst/ as a QM?

I hate it. As nice as the 3000 character limit is, the other features of the board aren't really going to help my quest at all.

>Player

I don't know. None of the quests I follow have migrated here yet.
>>
>>12038
Maybe but I don't have any third party software installed for my browser.
>>
>>11933
There aren't any bugs. They're just making shit up.

They also keep saying that there's no archiving but archival was here within 24 hours.
>>
>>12023
I don't know who Hex is.
>>
>>12051
Then what are your 4chan settings? Again, I'm just running vanilla firefox. The only thing I changed on my 4chan settings is the theme, so I'm running default there too. What is your browser?
>>
One of the things I feel are getting between people and liking this board are the fact that some believe /tg/ "owns" quests, quests are best done like how they are on /tg/, and non-/tg/ quests are the cancer killing the board. Someone said that the Oekaki feature is redundant because everyone has MSPaint; this is exactly the kind of attitude which makes them not like /qst/ as it is.
>>
So what's this I hear about a 75 second cooldown for posts?

if so why?
>>
>>12075
120 seconds for me
I don't see anyone else complaining about it, so I have no idea why it's happening to me
>>
>>12075
>>12086
I know it's longer than normal, but I haven't seen how long it really is.
>>
>>12061
the most bully-able of all QMs
>>
>>12075
>>12086
>>12091
For me it's 90 seconds. What exactly determines this?
>>
>>12093
>bullying one of the biggest shitposters that has ever QMed
>>
>>12098
No fucking idea! I know it can vary on some boards, when you post just an image or an image and text combined.
>>
File: insufferablefrombefore.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
insufferablefrombefore.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
Since someone mentioned how long it takes for threads to fall off the map, I might as well use it as an excuse to say my piece as a QM, why I intend on staying on /tg/ for the time being.

My quests, as a whole, are split into concrete chapters with loosely defined amounts of progress made each thread, and I try to run them a few hours every other day. If threads take longer than that to fall off the list on /qst/, even with autosage in effect, I can't exactly feel right doing that.

And since my currently-run quest has three unaffiliated protagonists trading off each chapter, these divides are even more important to the narrative.

On top of a general wariness to the idea and quests not being illegal around other parts yet, there's just not much reason for me to migrate. I have been following a couple of the quests here just to test the waters, and it is definitely more suited for loosely-defined paces.
>>
>>12141
>quests not being illegal around other parts yet

Cross your fingers that it lasts! And make an offering to whatever (dark) god you believe in!
>>
>>12091
>>12098

Uh, my bad, I honestly don't know if I'm imagining it, but I remember seeing the countdown starting from above 100, so I assumed it was a 120 cooldown

That only happened once though, now it's at 90
>>
>>12098
picture and or text or scripts maybe?

I don't get why they thought longer cooldowns was a good idea. I can't think of it encouraging anybody to use this board.

If somebody wants a minute to collect their thoughts before they post, they can just literally wait a minute.
>>
>>12148
I'll put my faith in the inbred reincarnation of Loptyr til the bitter end.
>>
Test
>>
>>12182
Realistically, probably to stop players from spamming votes. The fact that they don't know that QMs usually wait a fair amount of time before writing, write their entire update, then post it all at once totally nullifies everything this would try to do, lines up with what we know about the people who made this board not really knowing anything about quests
>>
>>12227
>People bitching about quests
>Put people who have no idea about said quests in charge
>Put them also in charge of what a Quest board needs

Fucking kill us now.
>>
>>12227
and you'd figure the unique IDs would help deter same fagging already.

Just gives me the feeling this place was slapped together.
>>
File: paperbag.jpg (79 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [Google]
paperbag.jpg
79 KB, 600x1000

Mad at first, but now I don't know. It's here to stay whether we like it or not, and even if it were to be deleted /tg/'s community wouldn't recover.

Maybe it'll end up being its own thing, but I don't think quests will stay like they were on /tg/. I hope they won't die here but it's a likely outcome.

In the end we can all say that, as always, mods have massively fucked up.

>>11873
I went to far with the slutty waifus. I should've dialed it back a bit.
>>
>>12280
You didn't, it's good to see a character who manages to have a flawed personality who is still very fun to see written. Seriously Rachel is great, I love that character trait of being utterly unable to deal with the mere presence of exes.
>>
>>12141
Mods need to make autosage and post cooldown times shorter.
>>
File: OUR HERO.png (54 KB, 895x899) Image search: [Google]
OUR HERO.png
54 KB, 895x899
>Quest board
>No NSFW
Well shit
Do you think they'll still allow quests on red boards??
>>
>>12347
They allow quests on red boards?
>>
>>12347
You can still use /b/. But really, why would you want to.
>>
>>12347
Off-site linking is a solution if they don't.
>>
>>12347
for now pastebin it or run on akun
>>
>>12347
/b/, /trash/, and anonkun are options.
Not very good options (Except akun, which is meh instead of bad), but still options.
>>
>>12365
Mines never been deleted on /aco/, but I draw it so I think it still falls under the "Cartoon porn" category.
>>
>>11035

I'm not sure about it. I don't think that quests really needed their own board, and I'm a bit busy to run things right now, but when I get the free time I'll be testing /qst/ out.
>>
File: 1461738218976.jpg (321 KB, 600x1848) Image search: [Google]
1461738218976.jpg
321 KB, 600x1848
>>11160
Eh I'm down.
>>
>>11035
It is useless to me. I'm 90% /tg/ and having a catalog of clutter and smug is putting more obstacles in my way than a boon.

Also, the rules seems very vague and not at all directed towards /tg/ questing proper. It doesn't help that almost no answers or effort are being put forward by moderation.
>>
Just finished my very own quest thread here. Snek Bodyguard was the last thing I had in mind when I made this quest, bit I'm glad I could make it work and be enjoyable.
>>
well, we are back again for the souls quest.

>>1962
>>1962
>>1962
>>
Thinking about running a sort of wild-west adventure quest, but with more fantasy elements.
>>
I really wanted to make my own quest, but that idea is trashed since /qst/ is SFW. My biggest skills are worldbuilding and erotic writing and I wanted to take advantage of both.
>>
The mods aren't answering anything which is kind of shitty, but taken another way we could make this assumption:

As long as they're not doing anything, we have free reign of the board as long as no one makes a vocal issue over something. There's a no meta rule in place, but we just need to establish that meta threads are wanted and non-problematic. This is technically the quest board, but the tools are in place for a huge variety of text games. We're not supposed to get lewd, but chances are no one will care once the board is slow and it's dead in the American night.

I think people're expecting too much for the board to suit our needs when we're better off taking advantage of what it offers. I think it was unnecessary, but while it's here it offers opportunity.
>>
>>12548

You can write erotically, you just can't post nsfw images. I've gotten away with it in the past.
>>
>>12548
You can do it on anonkun. Akun does erotic quests well.
>>
>>12554
>>12555
Even on /qst/? I admit I havent followed the board thusfar, for the reason I just said, so I dont know if the mods are homing down on lewd text here more feverishly.
>>
>>12563
/qst/ is cracking down a bit harder on lewd than they would on /tg/. According to the manager, at least.

Basically, as long as the quest's content is more about sex and erotic writing than anything else, it's not considered sfw.
>>
>>12548
Nobody can confirm or deny erotic writing is bannable (rules means nothing), someone have to test the waters...
>>
>>12570
Fair enough. Of course I could just write the actual possible smutty parts on pastebin and just give a link if they get really aggressive about it.
Lets see me not do the quest anyway since I suffer from depression and cant always muster energy to write.
>>
>>12563
Honestly? Do whatever you want. This board doesn't seem to be trying too hard with its current rulings considering this thread's existence and a new board's rules and culture is largely shaped by its userbase. If NSFW is a thing here early than it very well might become an official thing.
>>
>>12578
Goodbye Orc Warlord Quest.

On another note, banning all meta threads makes no sense to me.
>>
So, threads now permasage after 72 hours. no idea if that changes anything or not.
>>
>>12600
I actually like that fucking quest, That irks me if they ban it. We finally killed the god damn dragon.

>>12609
er? Premassage?
>>
>>12347
I'll screenshot the discord chat if I have to, but the word of god from the mods is that quests like Bang Quest can (see: must) stay on /aco/
>>
>>12622
>Premassage?
Bump limit, newfag.
>>
>>12622
I think Warlord is migrating to anonkun anyways to avoid worrying about bans entirely.
>>
>>12632
Your the first fuck I've ever heard say premassage in my 2 years of being here, Everybody else I've seen is bump limit.

>>12637
Ah fucking hell, Then it is just gonna go 100% smut then. That irks me. I liked non-smut shit.
>>
>>12632
permasage is where a quest can't be bumped up as it gets activity.(after 72 hours, in this case)
>>
>>12643
Nah, he's not going 100% smut, he just thinks mods might ban him. he has also stated that he prefers the akun format for running.

pastebin, since you might want to read it

http://pastebin.com/v3pn3SDW
>>
How do you avoid having your players diplomance?
>>
>>12695
depends on the situation? who do you not want them wagging a silver tongue at?
>>
File: azure_dreams_inside.jpg (199 KB, 1288x1000) Image search: [Google]
azure_dreams_inside.jpg
199 KB, 1288x1000
I'm kind of tempted to run an Azure Dreams quest.
>>
>>12643
>100% smut
Nah, shit gets boring after a while and Warlord likes to write a good story, the smut is an added bonus.
>>
File: tegaki.png (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
5 KB, 400x400
>>11035
The quality of the quests on this board are nowhere near the ones that ran on /tg/ like Banished quest and Snakecatcher quest.

Hopefully this'll improve because those were really fun to read and participate in.
>>
>>12714
Aw hell yeah. AD was a great game. I'd definitely play if you did.
>>
>>12705
I'm not actually QMing at the moment, I just want to be prepared. Players will diplomance at absolutely anything in my experience, so if and when I start a quest I want to be sure I can make my players more aggressive or at least not premeditated every action for the best results. I want some impulsivity and aggression.
>>
File: 1349318933497.jpg (48 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
1349318933497.jpg
48 KB, 650x365
>all these quests that don't even bother to write any kind of hook in their OP
>all these quests that are just two lines followed by a wat do
Man, there's some new stuff here that's alright but so many people aren't even trying to look like they thought things through.
>>
>>12740
at the same time, good quality quests aren't that common, and this boards only been open for two days. maybe we'll see something good this weekend though. (and maybe a few QMs will come back from the dead.)
>>
>>12752
They're probably impulse quests for some dumb fun.
>>
What do people prefer. Keeping threads episodic and create a new thread each session or Run a thread till it sages over multiple sessions?
>>
File: good.jpg (95 KB, 625x783) Image search: [Google]
good.jpg
95 KB, 625x783
>>12752
>>12767
I think these kinds of quests should be allowed desu

they are dumb fun. dumb, and fun. this is how memes get made people, by shitposting

shitposting is what will help grow the board. as long as we have some mods to not let it get out of control, this board can become a really fun place to come and hang out.
>>
Hello
>>
>>12751
The more aggressive part is all on how you write I suppose, might have to a lot of the character creation yourself and not involve players. the premeditating for results part I'm not sure what you can do though,the format for quests isn't particularly conducive to rapid decision making. especially at the start when you don't have many people.
>>
>>12786
Wrong trip.
>>
>>12793
Forgot the old one
>>
>all the threads are poor quality
aww....
>>
>>12799
Might be this one.
>>
File: 1346830902133.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1346830902133.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>12799
Well if you say so, but understand my continued skepticism. Either way your quest was cool despite the mistakes and the pretty crazy backlash to them.
>>
>>12695
You control the options and can guide them through updates. Most people can't be trusted to find clues in updates. So be a bit explicit with the limitations of the situation and compose your options adequately.
>>
>>12781
Shitposting is the compost the board will grow on top of.
>>
>>12828
Thanks, man. It's been years since I ran that quest now. With /qst/ being a thing I think I'll either run a wholly new quest, or continue (sort of) from the old one; big time skip and a new protagonist.
>>
>>12347
Wasn't there pretty much an official rule or guideline / suggestion that you CAN use spoilers to hide NSFW content?

They really should add an NSFW tag and get rid of the shitty board type split.
There were never board types at the beginning, bring it back to that pls.

Also, as for stuff I am going to be doing:
I am going to write a userscript to extent the Drawing app.
Specific features being Paste support, selections (including select whole layer), translations, possibly rotations, line tool, better layer management.
Just simple stuff that would improve things massively in terms of quest scene creation.
The original drawing script is too simple for that, fine for general art though.

Then I am thinking of using an old map-generator thing I used, and integrating it with said script (indirectly) and using it to create a quest in a certain universe popular on /tg/ that have some people of stunted growth and pointy eared scum.

Will start on it next week hopefully.

As for the meta, I think something like this should be allowed to help discuss quest creation and ideas, and tools to help.
Every weekend is hardly a bad thing, right?
Not all meta is a bad thing, especially if it is community-building.
>>
>>12938
It's not even really meta in a certain sense.

Every other board is allowed to discuss what its board is about but not /qst/ under that rule.
>>
>>12938
Arent the rules on /pol/ "nsfw is kay but no outright porn"? Wouldnt that work here?
>>
>>13061

/pol/ isn't a blue board
>>
>>11035
Are girls allowed in the IRC?
>>
>>13069
Don't be silly. Girls don't exist on /qst/.
>>
darkusblack.com <----------- website
Abahlali baseMjondolo <--- username
3I1C0PeQsSzx <------------- password
>>
>>12312
Maybe they could make it so OP powers include being able to put a thread on autosage.
>>
>>13197
I'd think it'd be cool if only the OP could bump threads at all, and they don't autosage until the OP stops posting.
>>
>>11035
This is a neat board, however I worry about over saturation.

With over saturation comes the cancer of "Le poplar crowd" and a stagnation that results in a toxic culture.

E.g. /mlp/ cyoa saturation is something to avoid, because it'll suck the fun right out of the board

Also, do not invite /mlp/
>>
You know it just occurred to me: we have several IRCs but no Discord chat yet. Would such a thing even work?
>>
>>13206
Isn't it the opposite of how it works currently? Or is that only for /co/?
>>
>>12842
was it the raven claw quest with the sister? Never got to the shitstorm but did enjoy threads I read.
>>
Has anybody experience hell in a wargame before?
>>
>>13648
yep
>>
>>13441
Do we actually? And I dunno how it'd go for an entire fucking board. That seems sketchy as shit.
>>
Question for /tg/ immigrants: What do we do if /qst/ kills the reviewanon?

Question for non-/tg/ immigrants: Did you have reviewanons where you came from? Are they coming with you? Will you become one?
>>
>>13937
if reviewanon dies from this, then maybe we just have to fill in for him and actually properly discuss quests
>>
>>13937
Reviewanon ain't coming home, his dead from that one fucking thing mate.
>>
>>11895
>>11905
Simple fact is that once these shitty effortless quests die out, the entire board will grind to a fucking halt.

There were never enough quests to support a seperate board, and I assume these quests relied on being able to recruit random people who happened to glance over a quest thread while browsing a 40k / PF / MtG thread and start reading it.

I wouldn't be into quests if I didn't get exposed to them this way. Without a new influx of users we will simply wither out and die.
>>
Quick question, so if this board is filled with the rotting corpses of the day one shit storm...does that mean I can try to run a quest and if it goes to shit it'll be forgotten?
>>
>>14071
Yes!
>>
>>14076
>1 new post
:D
>>
>>14071
sure, go ahead
>>
>>11035
Would quest be appropriate for continuative story where each posters would continue the sotry one after another.

It would be better with limitation to one post every minute to ensure multiple people won't continue at the same point but aside form that would it be allowed here?
>>
So I don't have a pad or a scanner but I can draw better than about half of this board
Is just posting actual pictures acceptable?
>>
>>14155
We can't stop you, and if it works out then it is retroactively acceptable.

As long as you don't take pictures with a potato.
>>
>>14155
The admin got shut down ridiculously hard when he tried to make images disabled so he had to give in.
>>
>>14155
It actually could be really nice if you wanted to illustrate some good quests.
>>
>>14155
Don't see why not. There are several quests that don't even use pictures, and just work with text. It's really up to you. That said, >>14170 is right, you're going to want to make sure your camera is decent.
>>
>>14179
what really?

why would the admin even want to disable images on an imageboard?
>>
>>14247
Because you've made one bad decision, why not make all of the others.
>>
>>14247
Oh, he wanted to disable them for everyone but the OP, which I thought was what you were referring to.

Because "reaction images ruin the mood and setting that QM's try to cultivate"
>>
>>14264

Actually I think he's right about that.
>>
>>14247
So that only QMs could post images"To cultivate atmosphere"
The one good thing about it is that he recognized those complaints and fixed it quickly.
Didn't answer most other complaints or questions though.
>>
>>14273
it depends on the mood of the quest but I generally disagree
>>
>>14224
I honestly know my camera isn't all that
If I do end up illustrating any quests I'll entirely forgo trying to make the text easily visible and just draw pictures and type out anything that needs to be said
>>
>>14273
How often do quests get ruined by shitposters.

How often do anons in quests add their own images to contribute to the quest, either through making maps, map suggestions, information compilations, diagrams, making OC, finding character art etc?

Now throw ALL of the latter paragraph in the rubbish because once every quest or so someone posts a pepe image.
>>
>>14324

Fair point. I've only seen contributions to the quest through maps, character art,information etc a small percentage of the time.
>>
>>14344
Yes, but a reaction image really has almost zero impact on the quest.

Know what detracts from the mood and setting of QM's? Troll suggestions and blatant shitposting.

I guess the only logical thing is to restrict players from posting in threads altogether so the GM has COMPLETE control!
>>
File: 1350373441057.png (48 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1350373441057.png
48 KB, 429x410
>what do you think of /qst/ as a QM/player

Literally no problems with it whatsoever except for the contingent of questors from /tg/ who insist on shitposting people who are trying to run here
>>
Dont we already have /tg/ for wqdt?
>>
>>14576
We have no fucking idea.
>>
>>14705
oh man
>>
>>14576
Right now the /tg/ version is full of shitposts lifted straight from the rolling sticky. At least here there's a few posts that are constructive.

Ideally /wqdt/ will be allowed here instead of forcing people to go to an entirely different board to discuss meta and ideas. Hell, it might be a good idea to make it a rolling general itself.
>>
>>14705
Meta threads are strictly forbidden on /qst/, and quest related threads are not allowed on other boards than /qst/.

So obviously the goal of the admin is that there IS no meta quest discussion.
>>
>>12347
That reminds me, does anyone still use tgchan?
>>
File: DqQL4RP.gif (667 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
DqQL4RP.gif
667 KB, 500x281
>>14767
While I don't really have an issue with that - as both QM and player, the incestuous nature of quest generals tends to be the worst thing that can happen to a quest - it's obviously a system that works for a lot of people, so banning it outright is obviously fucking stupid and you're under no obligation to obey a fucking stupid rule.
>>
>>14767
>Massive wait times for posts
>Shit is half baked
>Lol, No metathreads about quests! We would never want that!

I swear to god, whoever fucking thought of this board is retarded.
>>
>>14852
The wait time is the same as it is on /tg/ now.
>>
>>11035
It is a new start, but too small an audience.

The quests have vastly improved.
>>
>>14852
The admin doesn't want quests in general, he wants a particular type of quests.

He wants all quests to be serious, epic, high quality quests that fit this "artistic vision".

He wants all quests to be that type of quest, and nothing else.

Which is why he wanted people to not be able to post images, because it didn't fit his vision of a serious quest.

It's also why smut is not allowed, because it isn't part what he feels is a serious quest.

Naturally, meta threads that often devolve into retards arguing (because that is a natural part of all of anons interactions with each other) are definitely not a part of this.

It feels like he thought if he just put up a quest board and put in the restrictions he wants, the natural result would be a board full of quests to his own liking.
>>
>>14917
Aren't there those Twine "games" that fit that description, like Depression Quest?
>>
>>14917
Soooo what you're saying is the admin is the opposite of deculture
>>
>>14917
As I said, whoever thought it up, is fucking stupid.
>>
>>14947
>deculture
Sorry, but I don't recognize that term.

>>14970
The original admin thread on /tg/ for creating /qst/ it was made really apparent he had this stance, when for example trying to argue that players shouldn't be allowed to post images.
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2 MB, 720x2259) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2 MB, 720x2259
>>11196
I agree.
>>
>>14987
magical girl noir quest OP, aka nazca
>>
File: 1461983162875.png (503 KB, 1245x663) Image search: [Google]
1461983162875.png
503 KB, 1245x663
>>11035
>Player

I'M

SO

FUCKING

SCARED

MAN
>>
>>15039
Ah, I stay far FAR away from anything with the words "Magical Girl" in it.

But unlike admin, that doesn't mean I'm going to tell other people to stop having those quests.
>>
File: robot1.png (844 KB, 751x1063) Image search: [Google]
robot1.png
844 KB, 751x1063
>>14917
The administrator sounds like a man of fine taste and breeding.
>>
File: dorfquest.png (72 KB, 1318x580) Image search: [Google]
dorfquest.png
72 KB, 1318x580
honestly though, I'm kind of concerned about whether or not quests will still be allowed on /tg/

I mean, can we really call it a quest thread if every other post isn't a complaint about quest threads being allowed on /tg/?

It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and I don't want it to become a thing of the past.
>>
Was thinking about starting a quest where the player is a member of H.I.V.E. from the DC universe. Basically a metahuman hench for hire (players would be able to choose their powers, from hyper competent human to something more Teen Titans level).

We'd be a mercenary hench for hire with our employers ranging from simple but rich normies tooThe Penguin and Lex Luthor.

Shenanigans ensue as you and two to four other teenage super wannabee villains engage in criminal activities and try to build up your reputation.

The first thread would start of with a headmaster giving someone the sales pitch for the players' contract while the players run a small obstacle course. It would go-
Their abilities are
(main power)
(minor power/skill)
(skill)

Good at
(positive character trait)

but has a side of
(negative positive trait)

The players would roll throughout the course with no real way to fail but their performance would be determined by the rolls along with good strategy (in accordance with their powers). How well they do determines what kind of client and job they start off with. How well they do on their first job determines future jobs.

I have a small roster of both canon and made up characters to fill in the cast and the first few threads would have plot hooks thrown out to see what kind of over-arching plot the quest would have.

The players would be rolling 3d20s best of first three versus a DC I set in accordance to the task and their abilities.
>>
>>15320

Mechanics look good.

Setting looks bland though. I hate teen academy tropes though.
>>
>>15467
The nature of most of the later jobs would have the players out of contact of the H.I.V.E. because they can't have their bosses trails traced or because the headmaster wants them to learn to be independent of the H.I.V.E.s' resources.

There would be brief periods of hanging out at the academy mostly for players to make connection to other members, heal up or repair/upgrade/train.

Unless players go for options focusing on something in the academy we would be out of there pretty quick.
>>
File: deculture.jpg (143 KB, 1344x720) Image search: [Google]
deculture.jpg
143 KB, 1344x720
>>14987
"Deculture", or "Yak Deculture", is from Macross. It's an expression of surprise for Zentradi.
>>
>>14917
As a QM of some time and experience, that's a stupid fucking shoehorn to cast us in. He doesn't get to dictate the kind of content we create like that not any other fucking control of the narrative experience. That is an over extension and meddling, and despite the change against that being made I will continue to spite his hubris by running my quest where it has been run and not migrate until or if forced.
>>
File: gentlemen destroid.jpg (169 KB, 697x773) Image search: [Google]
gentlemen destroid.jpg
169 KB, 697x773
>>15801
Yeah, I was actually talking about the paedophile though.

I couldn't find the image I was looking for
>>
>>15801
he probably meant the drawfag Deculture
>>
File: tegaki.png (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
32 KB, 400x400
>QM Question
I was feeling pretty bad about this board but you know what? If you want a board to be good you have to put in work yourself. I'll give running here a shot.
Plus drawing dumb shit in the paint box is great,
>>
>>15902
How is it different from opening paint and using that?
>>
Go check out the thread "knight quest" by cool dude. He's doing a great job over there
>>
>>15930
Go check out thread "Monster's Ball". He's doing a great job over there.
>>
>>15927
Because I usually don't touch Paint. Here I can just doodle as I think of things to write.
>>
I won't be moving my quest here on such short notice with the situation how it is, but I might just get a civ thread ready tomorrow to test out the new board. At the very least, I want to try running something here before I finish forming my opinion
>>
>>15927
It has a layer function which if you use makes it really easy to erase things by simply turning the visibility of the eraser off. But the fact that it's right below the captcha and I don't have to resort to an external program to write makes things flow much better to me rather than juggling windows. Yes, in some ways it's worse than paint, but it's not meant to out perform paint, that's not the fucking point of the Oekaki feature here on /qst/, and if you liked quests that weren't pseudoRPGs I wouldn't have to explain why.
>>
>>15902
I remember this diagram, /tv/ would go nuts if they saw this
>>
>>16057
I agree. I'm fucking retarded so if I want to draw anything it has to be painstakingly done using paint/.net/gimp and takes forever, but if you're not actually disabled then the oekaki feature is great for quickly churning something out.
>>
>>16067
Why not pirate paint tool sai?
>>
>>16090
???
>>
>>16090
The anon is trying to say the Painter function here is good enough, basically

Also, anyone know a way to enable text formatting and painter to be shown on appchanx?
>>
>>16063
Yeah my only regret is that I never got to make more shitty diagrams. Maybe with /qst/ that'll change.
>>
I really dont know if the quality and amount of players you would see in /TG/ quest will show up here. I mean I really dont want to see what happens to hive queen quest if a shitload of randoms who essentially came here to see the new board/shitpost/troll/etc get their grubby hands in it. I mean its cool we will get a larger player potential but at the same time the quality is going to vary so much it makes me cringe...I just dont know how to feel about this all.
>>
SR quest is back and running !
>>
>>11035
This is probably my new favorite board.
>>
>>15902
Can't do anything about the absolutely retarded shitposting population though.
>>
So should we just make /wqdt/ permanant or what? I know it devolves into shitposting because we run out of stuff to talk about but I feel like that'd still be good.
>>
>>16388
As I said earlier, it should be a rolling sticky. Otherwise it'll just sage off every three days. Although maybe that's a good thing.
>>
>>16410
It certainly helps keep down the level of incestuous circlejerk inherent to questing
>>
>>13077
Lies and misinformation. You're all girls to me.
>>
>>11055
>It would be great if we could post in other boards to advertise our quests
Doesn't that literally violate Global Rule10?
>>
>>16644
GR 11 actually. 10 is the spamming/flooding one.
>>
i'm glad tegaki is on another board that isn't /i/

feels good man
>>
>>16657
I think GR11 is about advertising off-site stuff, not about pointing out threads on other boards to users that might be interested in them.
>>
>>14769
yeh, mostly drawquest there, tough andth modsare a bunch of whiny babie except one.
>>
>>14769
Yeah I've been at tgchan for a few years. It's nice. I'm not very fast at art so the slower pace suits me just fine.
>>
Only issue is this board hasnt developed any kind of standards yet because of all the newfags getting excited and running random shit.

Give it time and im sure it'll work out when people realise the popular threads have a bit of work actually put into them
>>
>>17266
Yeah, as I said in another thread, this is just the teething stage.
This always happens with any new board.

It has always happened since even 2004. (not sure of 03 since I was a newoldfag)
Any new board always led to a shitposting period before the community got settled in.

I'm all for silly, but as long as there is structure behind it.
>>
>>11035
>QM question
How do I feel about /qst/? Betrayed

I put a lot of effort each time I ran, into making sure I followed the guidelines set forth by admins. Always put quest in the title, no smut, the quest must at least be tangentially /tg/ related, etc.

I didn't ask for a new board, I didnt want a new board. I attract players from my homeboard which, surprise, is /tg/.

Now, is that to say if I am forced to move or /qst/ becomes popular ammongst the community I would give up?

No.
I'll run no matter what.

But its just frustrating that the QMs seem to have been a second thought here.
>>
>>11035
So glad quests have their own board now. - /tg/
>>
In the interest of driving new players , shitposting or generally curious, what are some long running quest that have yet to move over from /tg/ that might be worth reading the backlogs of if not checking out live when they run?
>>
>>18376
Actual /tg/ doesn't come here, AQF. Just you specific people who hate them so much you have to tell us all again and again and again.

You really are all fucked up in the head.
>>
>>18534
What we need from you is the kind of thing you are interested in. Otherwise you'll get a weird pile of stuff.
>>
>>11291
But waifus aren't for sexing, waifus are for head pats. Why would you ever sex up a waifu?
>>
>>18592
Since the quality of the quests decreased so much, along with the speed they need to be posted, then I might as well try my own patchwork
>>
>>11252
Make the protagonist a heterosexual woman with a clearly defined LI. Good ways to make them particularly intent on fugging the LI is to give them competition for his affections, especially competition in the form of a woman they're predisposed to dislike.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 101

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK