[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate the catalog? No one looked at anything but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 1167487552289.png (117 KB, 1030x1152) Image search: [Google]
1167487552289.png
117 KB, 1030x1152
Why do people hate the catalog? No one looked at anything but page 1 of each board before it. Now everyone is able to see all the pages. Even the lamest, most uninteresting 0-replies thread is able to be seen before it drifts to the last page.
>>
i don't know, I was using off-site catalogs before they implemented them into the site. it really helps for super fast boards.
>>
>>587440
Yeah, me too actually. First the one they kept uploading to /f/ until it got banned, and then the off site one that was made to replace it.
http://catalog.neet.tv/
>>
>Why do people hate the catalog?
There are people who do? Who? I don't think anyone does since it's very useful. I suppose that like any change it had some consequences, but its pros outweigh any con..
>>
>>587462
I've seen it a few times, people saying they hate the catalog along with generals, and that somehow the catalog promotes them.
>>
I love catalogs.

I think there's a minority who hates them because they make the site more accessible.
>>
people hate the catalog because it didn't exist when 4chan was created. they think that just because the catalog became an option around the time 4chan started getting really popular that it contributed to all the cancerous newfags who've flooded the site. basically, they're 4chan hipsters.

i prefer to browse boards with the default page layout, but i use the catalog when i'm looking for a specific thread.
>>
>>587439
>No one looked at anything but page 1 of each board before it
what about page 0
>>
>Why do people hate the catalog?
>Even the lamest, most uninteresting 0-replies thread is able to be seen before it drifts to the last page.
But you answered you own question, 90% of those are shit, so they just clutter the page.

The faggots that want catalog as default should just install 4chan X
>>
>>587623
>what about page 0
Page 0 is called page 1 nowadays, get with the times.
>>
>>587439
Sometimes on certain slower boards, by *not* browsing the catalog you can get the conversation from the last few posts in the thread. /news/ or /out/ are a good examples. I guess it all depends on how slow a board is and how familiar you are with the stuff that has been in the catalog for a few days.
>>
>>587937
I just went to /news/ to check it out. What a dumb board. It's like /pol/ if /pol/ users were actually retarded and not just trapped under 12 layers of irony.
>>
>>588018
Post more news that isn't /pol/ oriented, please.
>>
>>588072
>news that isn't /pol/ oriented
Is there such a thing? All news itself is usually just bait.
>>
>>587439
Sheer contrarianism is all I can see.
>>
>>587688
Without the catalog good threads on page four or five would never get any attention. Nobody browses that far before they get caught up in one of the threads on page 1,2,3.
>>
>50% of the catalog is taken up by irrelevant images
>you can hardly ever see the full OP unless it's a memey shitpost such as "What did he mean by this?" and the like
>You can't see any of the replies so you don't know if the thread is still even on topic
Worthless
>>
>>588107
>You can't see any of the replies so you don't know if the thread is still even on topic
What's stopping you from making an on-topic post in the thread?
>>
>>587460
I've been using that one. Is there another off-site catalog?
>>
>>588105
And there is nothing wrong with that, considering the number of lurkers it's impossible for a thread to get unnoticed, if somebody was interested they would bump it.
>>
>>589552
A lot of the archives have catalog type views too.
>>
>>588117
People who have already shit all over the thread so that it's beyond saving resulting in all on-topic posts being ignored
>>
I dislike the catalog and rarely ever use it. Not because of any logical reason but because I'm very set in my ways and I dont like change. On other chan sites where using the catalog is a requirement I use it and enjoy it. But not on 4chan.

I'm just autistic like that.
>>
>>589580
What kind of horrible board do you use?
>>
People who don't use the catalog are either shitposters or newfags.
>>
>>589583
/tv/
I still have some false hope left, I can't leave that place
>>
>>589582
Do you use frames?
>>
>No one looked at anything but page 1 of each board before it.
Sweeping generalization. You are insulated and cannot perceive other people living their lives differently from how you live yours.

I have every board of my "home board" bookmarked in reverse order in little folders, and click on "open all in tabs" when I want to do a little net surfing. And reading the last 4 or 5 replies really lets me know if the tenor of the thread is one I want to give a shit about. Getting bumped can't be the only metric for quality determination, because shitposts get a hell of a lot of replies.

>>589582
This guy gets it.
>>
>>589585
You should just give up.
>>
>>590774
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT HIM TO DO
FIGHT IT ANON!!!! WE SHALL PERSEVERE
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.