[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make all board use the catalog by default, and store twice as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg (74 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg
74 KB, 600x470
How would you feel about this? Sometimes people complain that we need more boards because the "big" boards move too fast and threads about niche subjects may get archived too quickly.

I feel like this could help things without needing to make new boards. Making the catalog the default would newbs understand there's more to a given board topic than the typical you see on the first page, and may stimulate a more varied discussion.
>>
I don't know, but all I want to say is that the feel of using a slower board where it's actually better to use the frontpage vs using a board fast enough to render the front page pointless to where everyone just uses a catalog
are completely different environments.

I don't think all boards need to suffer that change, even though it's just a change of defaults.

I personally think the solution to the problem is to add a sort of "board watcher" that you can update to catch any new threads made on the board since the last time you updated it
and also to give every thread at least a 24hr lifetime minimum (but this last idea might not be feasible on the large boards due to disk space)
>>
>>587072
You can sort the catalog by creation date.
>>
>Making the catalog the default would newbs understand there's more to a given board topic than the typical you see on the first page, and may stimulate a more varied discussion.
What the fuck, do you even browse this site? It's clear as day that it would have the opposite effect. Stop posting useless ideas, threads that don't get replies die. That's how things ought to be.
>>
>>587082
Why do you think it would have the opposite effect? Maybe because anons can't see the first few replies to a thread and decide to jump in to reply to one of them? I'd be willing to give that up.

For a while moot was pushing the catalog hard because he thought a lot of people never go past the first couple of pages and didn't even know the catalog was there. I still think that's true.
>>
It's a good idea. This means it won't be implemented.
>>
>>587061
I think twice as many pages would probably only help slow boards actually. On big boards, why bother trying to resurrect a thread that's already almost dead and had little interest?
>>
File: 1368661858083.gif (3 MB, 480x813) Image search: [Google]
1368661858083.gif
3 MB, 480x813
>>587084
Why would discussion be more varied if the average user can pick and choose exactly what they want, based solely on the OP, instead of picking what interests them after being showcased what discussion is ongoing and what threads others have chosen to post in at the moment the user visited the board? There is more work involved in scrolling past threads so you're more inclined to enter threads that may not interest you. With the catalog you can just skim the board and find threads more efficiently, but you will have less users lurking threads outside of their comfort zone.

The catalog should've remained an off-site thing because newfags will stick to whatever threads they're familiar with, hence why generals are more of a menace than ever since they're filled with the lowest common denominator.

I'm not going to bother with why twice as many pages is stupid.
>>
File: 1439632968042.png (429 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
1439632968042.png
429 KB, 2500x2500
>Make all board use the catalog by default
Disgusting.
Remove the catalog.
>>
>>587084
>I still think that's true.
m00t cared more about attracting users than he cared about the quality of the boards. Why anyone would fucking side with that is beyond me. Mods never gave a fuck about anons.
>>
>>587109
Most users are not going to look through every page of a board, but they will often go through the whole catalog. I right click seven or eight threads and open them in new tabs (never got used to middle clicking) including ones about things I don't know a thing about.

Go into why the twice as many pages is stupid. You can't dismiss it like that. Post fully or don't post at all.
>>
>>587157
>remove catalog
>forced to use shitty search function
>have to go through multiple pages to find niche threads I didn't know about beforehand

fuck right off
>>
>>587099
It helps on /b/ where if a person tries to make a random thread about something that is banned on the other boards they'll get nowhere because the thread will die in 5 minutes. Sometimes even /r9k/ is too fast for threads to have time to breath.
>>
>>587183
>Most users are not going to look through every page of a board
Of course they won't, but that's not it. The point was that a large part of users won't get exposed to threads outside of their interests.

>Go into why the twice as many pages is stupid. You can't dismiss it like that.
I noticed just now that it would be pointless since it seems that you are unable to appreciate the ephemeral nature of 4chan.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.