[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What constitutes "board culture?" I remember way back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1463098204226.jpg (158 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1463098204226.jpg
158 KB, 800x900
What constitutes "board culture?"

I remember way back when Chris-chan threads were a daily part of /v/, but now, if you post that, you'll get banned.

I remember when you could post shit as blatant as "vidya girls you want to fuck," but now, banned.

So, at some point, the line was drawn where that stuff wasn't considered board culture. The real question is: Who decides what is board culture? Ideally, shouldn't it be the users? Seems nowadays, though, it's not.
>>
>>587059
Shitposts and memes i like= board culture.
Shitposts and memes i dont like= cancer.
>>
>>587059
You can't talk about actresses at all on /tv/. Not even legitimate career discussion, even though the rules say you can.

You can husbando up a thread all you want tho.
>>
>>587064
>You can't talk about actresses at all on /tv/. Not even legitimate career discussion, even though the rules say you can.

That shit pisses me off so god damn much. You can legit make a thread about an actresses' roles and not have anything to do with her looks or anything, and you'll not only get banned, but get banned for months.

>>587063
Seems to be the case.
>>
>>587059
Who cares about "board culture"? We need to collectively stop putting so much emphasis on the past and instead focus on what's fun.

There's nothing wrong with shitposting in moderation.
We just need mods who aren't such tryhards and ones that have a good head on their shoulders that can make decisions based on the intent of the poster. Were they just havin' a giggle, or were they seriously trying to derail a thread on something they don't like for the 5th time today?
Both of those two scenarios can occur with the exact same post text/image right? So you can't always just go by the post alone. You need context and good judgement.

Having a list of approved shitposting because it's "board culture" is fucking stupid.
>>
reddit has won, welcome to the void
>>
>>587059
>Ideally, shouldn't it be the users?

Fuck off with this.

Mods=gods, and that's always been the case. Remember that the only reason you're able to post is that you haven't been permabanned yet.
>>
>>587123
Have you been living under a rock for the past 3 years or so? All anyone says about the mods these days is that they're dumb and corrupt as fuck
mods=gods is something you only see used on the rare occasions that they get something right
>>
>>587162
You only think "All anyone says about the mods is that they're dumb and corrupt" because the vocal minority who thinks that is often the loudest. The people who don't have a problem with the mods or the way they do their jobs don't make posts about it.
>>
>>587077
People going to other boards and bringing other board's cultures (memes) with them is not okay.
>>
>>587063
This guy gets it.
>>
>>587063
FPBP
>>
>>587077
The problem is that old board culture didn't have to rely on shitposting the way current board culture does, at least nowhere near the extent it does today.

It's why console wars are allowed on /v/, despite it being the most cancerous shit in the world.
>>
>>587063
It's inconsistent, heavily dependent on personal bias, often clutters boards with nonsense that simply doesn't belong, and it attracts the very people who have little interest in a given board's actual topic. This is how /v/ became so terrible. This is why "board culture" needs to be abolished.
>>
>>587077
>intent of the poster.
The actual intent of a poster can easily be hidden. And the intent of a poster is entirely irrelevant when the posting of certain things derails threads regardless of the original intent of posting it was. That being said, most things that are borderline disruptive are posted just to get meaningless, inane replies. The quality of posts rule is almost pointless because the current standards of posting are insanely low. As long as the standards are low, this website will always be an annoyance to anyone trying to get more than a couple of empty headed laughs. 4chan as it is, is only fully enjoyable to those who don't really care about anything, or stupid people. To everyone else it's mediocre and uninspiring most of the time, and infrequently, sporadically, mildly entertaining at best.

>good judgment
Now we're getting somewhere. All that's really needed is good -also relatively strict- judgment to weed out the people that make pointless and inane posts that lead to nothing more than more inane posts.

What is acceptable on most boards doesn't greatly differ from that which we see on /b/. The base level of what is acceptable on most boards needs to be raised for there to be any improvement.
>>
File: the state of sp.jpg (1 MB, 1185x3946) Image search: [Google]
the state of sp.jpg
1 MB, 1185x3946
I've given up on /sp/ board culture ever coming back

You should too for whichever board you come from.
>>
>>588028
That image made me think of a simple way board culture can be explained:

"Board Culture" is any content that is deemed acceptable by a noticeable number of users on any board.

Now the interesting bit is that board culture is often the cause of many problems on any board. Those that are all for board culture may as well be working against the good of a board.
Then arises the idea of "Thread Culture". A thing that is arguably the worst part of generals.
>>
butthurt oldfag crying again lmao seriously

>i remember

yes you remember posting on one board in 2006, that doesnt make you expert on every board

>users

lol not only oldfag but redditor too
yes it should be users and it is users make board culture if you dont like it then go away
>>588042
>Now the interesting bit is that board culture is often the cause of many problems on any board. Those that are all for board culture may as well be working against the good of a board.
Then arises the idea of "Thread Culture". A thing that is arguably the worst part of generals.
>many problems

which problems? its seems you have some kind of mental problems more like
>>
>>587059
Oh it's one of these.
>>
>>587059
Remember those szs threads on /a/ that were counting down the seven years?
I'd cite that as an example of good board culture. It was a long standing tradition that was directly related to an anime, aka the subject of the board, and it paid off in a fun way.

I never really browsed those threads though, since I didn't see szs.
>>
>>587059
shitposters get together and decide to make their "ironic" shitposting become accepting but pushing so hard against the modding staff in rebellion eventually they give up and shitposting becomes board culture. it's all just shitposting.
>>
>>590391
I didn't either but I tuned in to the series being marathoned live when the countdown ended and I now know why. Go watch it, anon. It's worth it. Anime that entertaining aren't made anymore.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.