[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Not Have Board Volunteers Hiro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 11
File: 1466745977842.jpg (133 KB, 654x741) Image search: [Google]
1466745977842.jpg
133 KB, 654x741
Let's face it, the mods are spread far too thin and they just aren't doing their jobs well enough, such as taking care of reported shitposting and off topic threads. So why not start hiring board volunteers? These people, who are hires directly from their home board, would be able to work with the mods to relieve the workload for them. Of course the mods would still be their bosses, but allowing them the power to delete off topic threads would be a godsend for 4chan.

Look, I get the mods don't like these since they think it'll take away their powers, but 4chan is simply getting too large and the current moderation staff cannot handle it.

So my question for Hiro is this: Will you be open to look into having board volunteers? I know 2channel used the same exact thing so I am sure you know exactly how this system works.
>>
And no mods we're not taking away your powers. You will still be the heads of the board volunteers. What we are simply trying to do is get the workload off your back while you are away
>>
We cannot simply rely on mods to swoop in and delete off topic threads, something Janitors cannot do.

If things are going to get better, this is by far the best possible option that will benefit both sides.
>>
Now I am all for having Janitors around as well. However things will be like a totem poll system.

The top are the Mods

Middle are the Board Volunteers

Low are the Janitors
>>
I'm think you just described what janitors do. I'm pretty sure janitors can delete threads and posts.

A very small number of janitors with good records should be allowed to ban people from their assigned board. They should be able to ban people for up to 48 hours.
>>
Hm.

5 posts.

3 IPs...

3 posts in favor of the new idea, and 2 posts are opposed.

OP, I think you might be samefagging!!
>>
>>580570
>delete off topic threads, something Janitors cannot do.
yes they can
>>
>>580579
They can only delete posts, they cannot delete threads. Only the moderators can delete the threads. I don't get it either
>>
>>580585
Its a known fact that the janitors can only delete posts in threads. They cannot delete actual threads because only the moderation can do that. Janitors hands are basically tied and limited to their abilities. If the janitors were given more power, maybe you would see changes.
>>
>>580583
I think he was just continuing from the OP

Im still trying to think of a response
>>
>>580590
So if the janitors were allowed to say delete threads, things would be better. I have no clue as to why the mods are so against janitors doing this?

Maybe because janitors are just temps. Board volunteers on the other hand would be in it for the long run. So if you were say allow the janitors to just delete posts in threads, allow board volunteers to delete posts and threads, and allow mods to do all that plus ban people, you would have a fairly well rounded structure system in place
>>
>>580558
OP, we already blame mods and janitors for being tyranical dictators without accountability.

You're in favor of creating a volunteer gestapo on top of that? Would you care to explain your justification?
>>
>>580588
So much newfagotry. This is the current state of 4chan's userbase. Its just sad.
>>
>>580595
Because, and god forbid I'm gonna mention this place, 8ch uses it, and it actually works fairly well. You don't understand how thin the moderation really is on here. You have janitors who can only delete posts and cannot delete threads. The mods are the only ones who can do this, and because of that it takes a long time for something to get deleted because mods are either

A. Too lazy

or

B. Are AFK and thus can't do anything

Hate 8ch all you want for being run by a kike who stole 2ch from Hiro and framed him, but the board volunteer system does indeed work, and if we had a structure in place like that, things would begin to improve.

I would also like to add on that I am for keeping Jannies around, since they are mostly just temp guys. Board volunteers are going to be more seasonal, meaning they'll be on for about a year or so, and if they're really good they can stay even longer. The mods will be their bosses, and thus the mods will still have powers to delete threads, posts and ban people.
>>
>>580601
And there you have it, friends.

OP wants to turn 4chan into 8gag.

Your witness.
>>
>>580601
>You have janitors who can only delete posts and cannot delete threads.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Lurk a couple of years more before even thinking about posting here.
>>
>>580600
How is it newfaggotry if its true? The janitors literally cannot delete off topic threads. If they did, /g/ would actually be cleaned up, and /o/ wouldn't be clogged by Alphonse's constant shitposting

I seriously fucking hate it when people hate change on here because they're so used to things being done in a shitty, god awful way
>>
Have you ever noticed that there's a strong correlation between being wrong and expecting everybody to know what you think you know?
>>580604
>>580600
>>
>>580603
There's a fucking reason people left 4chan, and it wasn't just because of moot the cuck. Moderation also played a major role.
>>
>>580605
Just go back to whatever shit hole you came from.
Learn what a janitor is.
How do you want people to take your retarded ass seriously when you spout bullshit like "janitors are just temp guys" and "janitors can't delete threads".
>>
>>580611
And what is the reason *you* haven't left 4chan?
>>
>>580604
Its a known fact. Former jannies have admitted they cannot delete threads. Moot I think put this system in place for god knows why?
>>
>>580614
Because this is still my home, and I don't want things to get any worse than they already are. You can wallow in shit all you want, but if you actually want things to get better, grow up and realize things need a massive overhaul.

>>580613
Because

1. They are temps and this is a known fact

2. They can only delete posts, and this is as known fact. The new janitors, if they could delete threads, would have already cleaned up /vp/ and /g/. but nope they haven't
>>
>thinking we're just one more level of bureaucracy away from perfection

>but at the same time thinking not having mods who know the meta of board is a good thing

Idk
>>
>>580613
How exactly would going back to whatever shit hole they came from help them to learn what a janitor is?

How do you expect anybody to take you seriously if the only thing that comes out of your mouth is "I HAVE SECRET KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE AND I WON'T HELP YOU LEARN IT!!!"
>>
>>580619
Mods are global, and thus get switched all the time. The only mods who aren't global are /co/'s and /tv/'s. They don't get to know the board culture well enough because they get switched the very next day.
>>
>>580618
>but if you actually want things to get better

Let me stop you right there.

We are in disagreement of what would produce the best outcome. Most of the people on /qa/ demonize Reddit, 8gag, Tumblr, etc, and a solution to "fix 4chan" that involves drawing methodology away from one of these other sites wouldn't actually be fixing 4chan. It would be making 4chan resemble another website that we dislike.

4chan isn't perfect, but it's fine. You can go to more than one website. I go to 4chan when I want to experience 4chan for what it is. I go to 8gag, reddit, tumblr, slashdot, xeogaming forums, vizzedboards, gaia online, twitter, facebook, ebaumsworld, buzzfeed, breitbart, motherjones, and blackpeoplemeet when I want to experience all of those websites for what they are.

4chan is. There's no better or worse, it just is.

That all being said, on a meta level, people like you posting about how to fix 4chan are also a part of 4chan, so by no means do I ACTUALLY want you to stop doing what you're doing, but people like me telling you to fuck off are also a part of 4chan, so you shouldn't be surprised when I show up.
>>
>>580620
Any one who has been here for more than a month know what a janitor is and how janitors are recruited and what they can do. It's very simple, you can even experience janitoring yourself when your shit thread gets deleted and you get a temporary block put on you by a janitor.
>>
>>580627
>Any one
>know what
>two ands
>THINKING JANITORS CAN ISSUE BANS

You're fucking adorable. I wanna pinch your little cheeks.
>>
>>580628
Where did I say they can issue bans?
>>
>>580629
What exactly is a temporary block? Do you have any proof that those exist, and that janitors are able to issue them?
>>
Look, the whole point of this thread is to either at this point

A. Hire board volunteers, maybe around 4-5 and allow them to delete threads and posts.

B. Keep the Jannies since they are temporary people and allow them to only delete posts since they are more numerous

C. Allow the mods to keep their head powers. Meaning they can delete threads, delete posts and ban people. They will still have their power

>>580627
Idiot. Mods can only issue temp blocks and bans. Janitors do not have that kind of power. In fact a rouge janitor on /pol/ a few weeks back admitted that the jannies have no power in deleting threads

>>580626
I hate to say it, but this isn't 2006 anymore. 4chan is not what it used to be. It has much more traffic coming in now, and that means constant newfags. 4chan needs some kind of a overhaul in structure in order to keep up. /g/, /int/, /tv/ and /co/ are just a mess right now because of the changing times.

8gag, while not even perfect by any means, not to mention its run by a thief, has a good moderation and board volunteer system in place. 4chan has to change period. People may not like it, but moot no longer runs this place. If Hiro things change will help, then change will help.

>>580630
Replying to say a shitpost and getting banned for 15 minutes. Its happened to me before
>>
>>580630
Just search "janitor block" on /qa/'s archive for example. Or "ban request".
This is nothing new.
>>
>>580631
4chan had constant newfags in 2006. Constant newfags is a constant part of 4chan.

>>580632
Ah, so it is. I've never gotten one of those before. I withdraw the point and apologize for doubting you.
>>
Another issue is people afraid of the big bad Reddit. Yes I fucking hate Reddit as much as the next person, but we have got to get this mindset out of our heads. Nothing gets done because people are so afraid of Reddit nowadays

>>580633
Compare the newfags to 2006 to now and its not even close. We have gotten much more popular thanks to GamerGate and The Fappening
>>
File: 1372622959127.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
1372622959127.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>580631
>In fact a rouge janitor on /pol/ a few weeks back admitted that the jannies have no power in deleting threads
>>
>>580634
And before that we got much more popular because of Project Chanology and claiming to be Ebaumsworld every time we raided some shit website caused the userbase of Ebaumsworld's comments to come here.

Newfags are a constant.
>>
>>580638
It wasn't as bad is it was now. People have access to smart phones nowadays, and Reddit's popularity means more faggots come over here
>>
>>580637
Except its true. That janitor lost his job because he exposed for us that the shills who were raiding /pol/ were coming from /r9k/
>>
>>580642
okay champ
>>
>>580640
Yeah, and back then we complained about fucking DSL "broadband" internet getting more popular meant that newfags weren't rate limited by their dial up internet connections.

It's. The. Same.

We can go back and forth as I try to remind you about the negativity that your nostalgia goggles won't let you see, but this shit always happened. 4chan used to have way fewer users, oldfags and newfags, but the proportions are always the same. 4chan has millions of users now, and millions of those users have been here longer than four years.

Do you fucking remember when "MyAnimeList" got popular on /a/, and everybody else on /a/ was shrieking about how anybody who liked any anime that was even remotely popular was from that website and invading? Ignoring the obvious fact that popular things are popular, so they're gonna be popular on 4chan too?

It never ends, and it never *started* either. I mean, sure, there logically couldn't be any newfags in 2004, oh wait, yes there could. The site just didn't have any oldfags yet.
>>
>>580642
I like hearing about the rich oral history of /pol/ as much as the next anon, but could you provide any archives or screencaps of this magical story the person you heard it from made up?
>>
>>580649
So what do you even suggest? What I am suggesting is to get more help for the boards and help clean up the shitposting threads.
>>
>>580652
You're trying to fix a problem that has gone unsolved for 10 years with a solution that isn't novel.

I don't suggest anything other than you shut up.
>>
>>580654
Typical person who wants to put his head in the dirt and think everything is just perfect. The idea here is sound. If it worked for fucking 8gag it can work here. If you think everything is perfect, go to /g/ right now.
>>
>>580657
I don't go to /g/ because I'm not a fan of /g/.

Take a page out of my book and don't go to places you don't like, Anon.
>>
>>580658
There is no excuse for your reasoning. No board should be pure fucking shit. Name something wrong with my idea
>>
First thing is first, I want to get Hiro's take on all this.
>>
>>580664
"Pure fucking shit" just means that you don't like it, Anon. Do you literally go to every board of every website on the entire internet? Or do you pick and choose? Me too, Anon! I pick and choose too! Why? Because I know that trying to change people is fundamentally wrong, and even if I didn't think it was wrong to do, I would know it's impossible.

>>580668
Here, I'll do my best Hiro impression for you. "Mods and janitors volunteers?"
>>
>>580670
That still is no excuse for boards being flooded with shitposting.

And we shall see what Hiro says. If its explained to him correctly, like it was pretty well laid out in here, then we'll go from there.,
>>
>>580673
What's the difference between a shitposter and a non-shitposter, fundamentally, Anon? They're both humans typing on a keyboard and pushing data to their magic glowing rectangle. Why is the shitposter's post less valuable than the other poster?

4chan evolved with shitposters. You might as well say that we need to get rid of humans in order to stop global warming and protect nature. Humans come from nature and any world without humans is bound to fail, Master Asia!!
>>
>>580678
A shitposter spams threads that have nothing to do with the board topic at hand. Those threads then slide actual threads off the board. For example, a Redpill me on X thread on /pol/ is clearly off topic. I'm not saying shitposters are gonna go away, but at least cleaning up the boards a bit would help keep them in line
>>
>>580681
Before I begin: "Redpill me on X" is usually political in nature. "Redpill me on Feminism" is a political topic. "Redpill me on Liberalism" is a political topic. I agree that "Redpill me on The Sony Playstation" wouldn't belong on /pol/ but there's nothing apolitical about the format itself.

Now, with that out of the way: Breaking the rules is a part of 4chan's culture. It has been since day one. 4chan users are born and raised rulebreakers. Our site's format is the ideal format for shitposting to thrive. Websites like Reddit that let you downvote shitposts (read: things you don't like) and force "Good Discussion" to the top are the antithesis of 4chan. 4chan is raw. Shitposts and good posts are on equal footing. And Sturgeon's Law states that 90% of everything is crap, so that remaining ten percent not being allowed to be any better than the 90% surrounding it is going to be true on 4chan, and this is the world we accept.

Empowering volunteer users to moderate is just meta moderation. It's step one in admitting that you don't actually like what 4chan is all about. It's step one in saying, "Hey, what if instead of giving only a few users the right to moderate, we give even MORE users the right to moderate? Hey! I have an idea, why don't we just give EVERYBODY some moderation privileges and then there could just be a consensus based moderation!"

At that point, you should probably admit that 4chan isn't actually where you want to be. You just want to be on 8gag, or Reddit, and just CALL it 4chan.

Well, friend, I have some news for you. You can install a custom CSS script that'll make your favorite website look just like 4chan, and then change your home router's DNS so that when you type in "4chan.org" it redirects you to 8gag and nobody's going to miss you. In fact, they'll welcome you with open arms.

And I know what you might be thinking. "But that wouldn't be the same because the community would be different."

Yeah. It would.
>>
>>580693
>Before I begin: "Redpill me on X" is usually political in nature. "Redpill me on Feminism" is a political topic. "Redpill me on Liberalism" is a political topic. I agree that "Redpill me on The Sony Playstation" wouldn't belong on /pol/ but there's nothing apolitical about the format itself.
Except they are what "vaguely on on topic threads". Its mostly slide threads that offer nothing of substance. It literally breaks the rules of /pol/

>Now, with that out of the way: Breaking the rules is a part of 4chan's culture. It has been since day one. 4chan users are born and raised rulebreakers. Our site's format is the ideal format for shitposting to thrive. Websites like Reddit that let you downvote shitposts (read: things you don't like) and force "Good Discussion" to the top are the antithesis of 4chan. 4chan is raw. Shitposts and good posts are on equal footing. And Sturgeon's Law states that 90% of everything is crap, so that remaining ten percent not being allowed to be any better than the 90% surrounding it is going to be true on 4chan, and this is the world we accept.
Shitposting is common yes, but there comes a time where it gets out of control, like say /int/ for example. That is not normal. That is flat out spam and ignorance the mods part for not deleting it.

>Empowering volunteer users to moderate is just meta moderation. It's step one in admitting that you don't actually like what 4chan is all about. It's step one in saying, "Hey, what if instead of giving only a few users the right to moderate, we give even MORE users the right to moderate? Hey! I have an idea, why don't we just give EVERYBODY some moderation privileges and then there could just be a consensus based moderation!"
You're not getting it. The people becoming board volunteers are from said board. They are people who are loyal to say /v/ and want to fix /v/ up. The mods cannot do all the work on here. They are overworked as it is.
>>
>>580693
>>580706
>At that point, you should probably admit that 4chan isn't actually where you want to be. You just want to be on 8gag, or Reddit, and just CALL it 4chan.
I don't want 4chan to be like 8ch or Reddit, I want fucking structure and a clean up on off topic shitposting, like boards like /vp/ desperately need

>Well, friend, I have some news for you. You can install a custom CSS script that'll make your favorite website look just like 4chan, and then change your home router's DNS so that when you type in "4chan.org" it redirects you to 8gag and nobody's going to miss you. In fact, they'll welcome you with open arms.
So basically fuck you I want my shitty site to stay the same despite it being fucked over by hotpockets who can't even clean up a board and do their jobs correctly. Face it, our moderation is terrible compared to say 8gag's

>And I know what you might be thinking. "But that wouldn't be the same because the community would be different."
No it wouldn't. How could this idea make things worse?
>>
>>580706
>You're not getting it. The people becoming board volunteers are from said board. They are people who are loyal to say /v/ and want to fix /v/ up.
You're the one that's not getting it. I'm not questioning the accolades of the users who would become board volunteers. The people who upvote and downvote shit on /r/gaming are members of the /r/gaming community too. It doesn't change a single thing.

There is a large amount of diversity among the userbase, and board volunteers would inevitably be a particular kind of user who thinks he knows what's best for everybody.

Oh, by the way, Janitors ARE Volunteers. Your whole thread could just be "WE NEED MORE JANITORS" dumbass.

>>580710
>No it wouldn't. How could this idea make things worse?
May bad. I shouldn't have just assumed that you'd think through the consequences of your actions.
>>
>>580716
You cannot compare what Reddit does to this. This isn't downvoting or upvoting, and I'm getting sick of people trying to think its like that. Janitors in general do not have much power. They are temp guys as I have said before who cannot delete off topic threads. Only the mods do that, and mods delete what they want. Janitors are limited in power and come and go easily. A board volunteer would be on for the long haul, and would have more power than a janny, but the mod would still run the show.

>May bad. I shouldn't have just assumed that you'd think through the consequences of your actions.
What consequences? You're just making vague references to Reddit. Its like I'm telling you to name three different kinds of fruits and you say Flowers Cookies Grass
>>
>>580722
Okay, Anon. What is your exact percentage of users that should be moderators? 1 Mod to 200 users? 1 mod to 20 users? All users are mods? No users are mods? 1 to 1000? 1 to 500?

Gimme a number.
>>
>>580722
What is the vetting process for a Board Volunteer? Would there be applications? Who would appoint them?
>>
>>580723
I'm asking for possibly 10-20 board volunteers on the larger boards like /v/, /a/ and /pol/, and maybe 4-5 on the smaller ones like /jp/ and /sp/.

Larger boards get more, smaller ones get less. These volunteers are people who are board regulars. You submit an application for the board you want to volunteer on, and the mod of that board looks everything over
>>
The janitor team isnt completed becase i dont seem to be in it
>>
>>580725
Yes. Their would be applications. And the board mod would be the one to decide. The process must be done correctly though. Meaning only the ones who aren't shit get the job. Guarantee you people from /vp/ would be lining up for this job
>>
>>580726
How do I determine who is, and who isn't a board regular on an Anonymous image board? A meme test? Notoriety?
>>
>>580728
And what exactly would "done correctly" entail?

Isn't this the exact same process through which we get board janitors?
>>
>>580730
Janitors can look at your IP and see what board you often use the most. Along with mods. And yes if that means quizzing you on board culture than I agree. And also making sure you're not some underage faggot as well. If that means interviews on Skype than go for it. Whatever gets us the best.

>>580731
Except this would be a much more longer, more vetting process. Did you know some underage kid became a janitor before and he bragged about it on Facebook?
>>
>>580732
>what about dynamic IP's
>>
>>580735
Again these are issues that will have to be worked on. The point being right now is that this solution would be an ideal way to help clean up the boards and make things go smoother
>>
>>580732
I don't know if you're aware of this, but you don't need to invent another tier of moderation to pull this off. You can just hire more and more janitors.

I also don't know if you know this, but the vetting process for janitors is already really strict, and that underage kid probably put on a really professional voice and fooled the vetters when he was elected.

And I don't know if you know THIS but you're a faggot, OP.
>>
>>580738
You haven't actually invented anything new.

You just reinvented janitors for no reason.
>>
>>580739
But the janitors would have to be allowed to delete threads, and right now they are not allowed to do that. If they were, maybe we could see some changes.

The mods would just have to suck it up and realize they can't do everything on their own

>>580740
If we can allow the janitors to delete threads then we should go for it
>>
So OP here, I guess expanding the power of the janitors would help to. Right now they are limited in what can be done.
>>
You would need a dedicated group of people, some of which monitoring generals AT ALL TIMES.
>>
If the jannies were to be allowed to delete threads, then maybe more could be done. However, the mods are still in charge of the bans and such and only they can make stickies
>>
>>580749
We have a good amount of janitors. The generals for sure would be the most heavily moderated, specially in boards like /vg/. But then again the janitors on there are horrible as it is.
>>
Just fuck off already.

This website works because there is limited moderation and you can't be "upvoted".

I've been here for ten years and I love this site. Stop trying to turn this into something else. You fucking crybabies ruin this site. Go somewhere else.
>>
What would board jannies be able to do that the current janitors cant
>>
>>580753
But that is an issue that we will have to deal with. I am sure we have janitors who legit want to delete shitposting threads, and yet cannot simply because they are not given that power because reasons.

>>580756
Enough with the fucking Reddit comparisons. Does every little change have to be labeled Reddit to you? And I'm sorry but this site is going downhill. Changes need to happen. And if that means giving the janitors more power or hiring board volunteers than so be it.

>>580758
It was a suggestion. I am all for janitors having the power to delete threads. A board volunteer would be a select group of people who have more power than janitors do.
>>
I'm pretty sure that janitors can delete threads. Looking through the archives there's at least a few posts by mods referring to janitors deleting threads.
>>
>>580764
They most likely told the mod, who then deleted it. Janitors really cannot delete threads according to some rouge janitor who was on /pol/ a few weeks ago. All they can do is delete posts. They are not given that much power other than that.
>>
>>580768
>rogue janitor
Proofs. Any idiot can claim to be a rogue janitor.
>>
File: mods.png (1 MB, 754x749) Image search: [Google]
mods.png
1 MB, 754x749
>>580764
Janitors get reports, sort through the real ones and then they get passed onto a mod for deletion

Mods can check your posts and ips
>>
File: 1465977197895.png (3 MB, 973x1790) Image search: [Google]
1465977197895.png
3 MB, 973x1790
>>580771
>>580771
Only a janitor can post this. And this was taken via a cellphone, so it cannot be edited in anyway.
>>
>>580774
That right there is the problem. They have to wait on the mods, who may or may not be away in order for things to get done. They cannot delete the threads on their own which I'm sure they want to do. Seriously what the hell was moot thinking?
>>
>>580781
I can agree that is a problem, it does take the piss from mods to respond
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>580780
You've been had
>>
File: 1396898420381.jpg (27 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
1396898420381.jpg
27 KB, 500x478
>>580788
I love it
>>
>>580774
FAQ says otherwise.
>"Janitors" are a class between "end user" and "moderator." They are given access to the report system and may delete posts on their assigned board(s), as well as submit ban requests.
>>
I thought OP was on a higher level of irony at first, but the guy isn't pretending in fact.

This dude gets it >>580716
>Oh, by the way, Janitors ARE Volunteers. Your whole thread could just be "WE NEED MORE JANITORS" dumbass.

OP is way too new, he probably came here after the most recent janitor drive. It's so easy though to check the faq or even the janitor application form to understand what janitors are and what they are not, even for somebody who's been here for less than a month.
>>
>>580792
But they cannot delete threads
>>
>>580793
Of of course call me a newfag because I'm sick of the constant shitposting and threads not being deleted fast enough. Yes I must be a newfag because I don't suck the mods dick like you do. And maybe if janitors could DELETE THREADS we wouldn't be having this problem

But please, tell me what 8gag is doing is garbage with its board volunteers. Please tell me
>>
>>580785
The problem is waiting on mods. Janitors have no say it what threads can't be deleted. Nope we have to let the mods do it, even though they still don't delete clearly off topic threads.
>>
>>580793
If we had more janitors who could DELETE THREADS things would be better. But nope they have to wait on the fucking mods
>>
>>580809
You're just old enough to think you understand 4chan enough to change it, and just new enough that you haven't given up yet.

Don't worry, it'll come eventually. Learn to stop worrying and love the shitposting, Anon. Shitposting is forever.
>>
>>580810
>Janitors have no say it what threads can't be deleted.
Enough of this misinfo please.
>>
>>580819
Janitors suggest to mods which threads to delete and then the mods delete it. It's a check system.

Whenever you see a thread with 99% of the posts deleted, but the thread OP is still up, that's because they're waiting on a Mod.
>>
>>580820
Okay friendo.
>>
>>580819
They dont. they can only relay the reported threads to the mods. They themselves cannot delete the threads
>>
>>580821
Great post, Anon.
>>
>>580816
What's up Swaglord?
>>
>>580826
Not much, moot.
>>
Seriously just give janitors the ability to delete threads without having to wait on the mods. How hard is that?
>>
>>580836
only a newscum who hasn't yet experienced 4chan would spread this kind of misinfo. if you make a shit thread and then get "temporarily blocked" then it would mean it was deleted by a janitor. people know this because they experience this constantly (and then they bitch about it on /qa/).
>>
>>580845
And how often is that? Half the time the mods don't even delete off topic threads, often leaving them up for hours despite it being reported. A Janitor with the ability to delete threads would actually get this issue under control. But what do I know? I'm just some newfag who refuses to fall in line with the status quo
>>
>>580845
>Accuses people of spreading misinformation
>Spreads misinformation.

Back. Up. Your. Claims.
>>
>>580847
Can I just ask, which board(s) do you frequent?
>>
>>580558
There's more rogue janis here than ever so it's harder to know which posters are truly replying to you and which ones are falseflagging to not let their power trip end, OP.
>>
>>580850
Side stepping the issue. Go to any board and report a thread. Half the time you have to wait an hour to get it deleted, if not more. /pol/ is a great example of this, along with /tv/ and /v/

I'll add /vp/ in as well
>>
>>580855
This is the first time I've replied to you, I'm not trying to divert the conversation or your attention.
Thanks for the answer though.
>>
>>580854
Half the time it's the mods on power trips. Janitors usually go on maybe one or two before falling back in line.

The ones who hate the idea suggested are either janitors themselves who don't like the idea of someone being superior to them, or mods who can't stand change
>>
>>580855
So you're telling me that the fastest boards on the website have moderation that feels the slowest.

That's to be expected, Anon. So we need more mods. Got it.

/thread
>>
>>580858
I'm telling you exactly what is known for fact. I have reported clearly off topic threads before, and they don't get delete until maybe an hour or more later because the janitors have to wait for the mod
>>
>>580861
/o/ is a slow board and yet moderation is beyond horrible because shitposting threads do not get deleted. /g/ also falls into this category

It doesn't matter the board. Faster boards have more janitors, thus these threads should be deleted as soon as they are reported. But because mods are lazy you have to wait
>>
I really want to help improve the quality of content on 4chan but there's no way to do it without being arbitrarily chosen for a janitor position, and even then you can't do that much with it.

I don't even know how one gets into moderation but it's probably some kind of invite-only elitist bullshit.

A way to volunteer would be really nice. Mods can just take away the privilege from people who abuse it if they do.
>>
>>580877
Just be active and report rule breakers, next time around when you apply dont autism in the app and they can check your posts
>>
>>580877
Which is why janitors need to be allowed to delete threads
>>
>>580860
It's fun that they actually come here whine at people but won't bother using this time on the threads.

People complained the site is no "secret club" but since Moot left the mods became their own "Secret club" of autistic hipsters at this point, proud at each other because they can partially control an anonymous site full of anonymous who don't care about them either way.

Watching power trip is always worse the more irrelevant and meaningless said "power"/attention and they have even less than a forum's mod would since nobody will know them and future mods won't bother knowing neither.
>>
>>580901
Its too bad for them those IRC logs exposed everything about them. In fact several of the mods got doxxed
>>
>>580861
>we need more mods
Short and to the point. There aren't enough of them to keep up with the masses of idiots.
>>
>>580981
>We need to allow janitors to delete threads
Is what you should have said
>>
>>580986
No, I'm talking about the number of people that can ban users, not the people that can only delete threads and/or posts. I'm more concerned with how many people deserve to be banned that don't get banned, than the simple deletion of posts and threads. If the users that make those posts and threads get banned then there are fewer posts and threads that need to be removed.
>>
>>580974
Truth. Through some of them give me an impression they are such fuck-up loser neets, with such irrelevancy in real life, they won't be affected much by getting doxx'd.
>>
How many jannies and mods are in the thread right now?
>>
>>580996
A janitor would get banned for outing himself, and mods aren't stupid enough to show themselves here.
>>
>>580992
The problem is people can easily ban envade just by ressetting their router
>>
>>580999
These kinds of discussions always boil down to how easy it is for many people to evade bans. Because if you don't have to sit and think about what you did, then why wait a day or so to post your bullshit for easy replies when you can just press airplane mode or reset your router? The unreliable banning system is one of the biggest issues with 4chan.
>>
>>581007
There isn't much that can be done. The best possible option is, again, allow janitors to delete threads. I don't see why that mods would have a problem with that?
>>
>>581010
I'm not 100% sure if janitors can or can't delete threads according to this:
https://www.4chan.org/janitorapp

In general, it's like most janitors (and mods) don't address the more subtle posts. The subtle things are just as damaging as the blatant things. I think the janitors are afraid to delete or report posts that aren't blatant rule violations out of fear of losing their position, and mods don't touch the more subtle things out of fear of making the shitposters flip their lids and start shitposting hardcore all over the place. Moderation on 4chan must be a very delicate balancing act due to the unreliable banning system. You never know who's going to go shitpost and ban evade like crazy because they were initially banned for posting something they know inside that they they shouldn't have posted.
>>
>>581027
As was said before. Janitors basically can delete posts, but as for threads they have to collect the threads with the reports and bring them to the mod who then decides what to do. However half the time the mod is away doing something else, so shitposting threads are often up for hours because of this flawed system.

Also you have more janitors on a board that a mod at any given time. A team of janitors could easily delete shitposting threads and shut them down
>>
>>581027
>>581031
Basically the whole janitor system needs to be fixed, in that janitors should be allowed to delete threads and not wait for the fucking mod to do it. Rouge janitors have complained about this for a while now, and yet nothing is getting done. This needs to be brought to the attention of Hiro.
>>
Mods need to realize that, by allowing janitors to have the power to delete threads, it takes the work load off of them. Mods should not have a problem with this at all. If you have a dedicated team of jannies deleting off topic threads non stop, the shitposters will give up
>>
>>581031
In short, 4chan needs more and better moderation.
(This includes more mods and janitors, and giving janitors the ability to delete threads, and a ban system that is more reliable.)
>>
>>581037
>More mods
Won't happen. The autistic fanclub called the mods will not allow anyone else to join their ranks. If anything they'll only invite their buddies

Everything else you said however is perfect and what this entire thread is about. We need Hiro on this soon
>>
>>581041
And mods aren't gonna let more people be volunteers either. Why the hell would they?
>>
>>581083
Because it means less work for the mods. Having the janitors actually delete threads makes the workload easier for them
>>
>>581086
And less accountability for the janitors too.

You think people on /qa/ bitching about tyrant janitors on /tv/ and /v/ are bad now? Buckle up.
>>
>>580631
>it isnt x year anymore times have changed and as such we have to change as well
Can you seriously just FUCK OFF. You have no idea what the fuck you are on about.
>>
>>581100
Grow up and realize 4chan is in dire need to help and reform. We have a new owner, and he can decide what happens and what doesn't happen.

>>581089
Its a risk that has to be taken. Its needed right now because mods aren't getting rid of shitposting threads fast enough
>>
>>580657
>If it worked for fucking 8gag it can work here.
>if this thing worked for x it can work for us despite them not being us and being completly different
Are you stupid?
>>
>>581109
>selectively taking ideas is always a bad idea
Open your mind.
>>
>>581109
We're not that different from them. They're all people who fled 4chan. Its the same fucking thing. And why don't you actually contribute something of use, like why this idea is bad?
>>
>>581108
Maybe you aren't ignoring them hard enough.
>>
>>581117
They're less than a percent the size of us.

Overworked moderators can't handle the load is why the load takes an hour to get through. And then you think just adding more might help but then we get a too many chefs in the kitchen problem, and you start needing meta-moderators to tell which mods are corrupt and which aren't. The bureaucracy needs to expand to suit the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
>>
>>581164
So then give the janitors, who are more numerous, the power to delete threads. That is all I am asking for. We already know who are the corrupted moderators already, you're dodging the question. If you let the janitors actually delete reported threads, you will be saving the moderators a lot of time.

Because I am sick of seeing off topic threads stay up for an hour, despite them being reported numerous times
>>
>>581164
>>581161

Your lazy cunt is only at the "job" because you think you are in this "elite club of buddies". Guess what, they don't care about you. Stop shitposting or just give up, wasting your time on IRC when you won't do your part and could use this time to actually get a paid job.
>>
>>580585
Lurk moar before posting.
>>
>>580654
Fuck off back to IRC you pathetic hotpocket.
>>
>>580732
>If that means interviews on Skype than go for it. Whatever gets us the best.
Oh fuck and fuck you.
This is the sort of cancer that has ruined the more anonymous expression orientated parts of the web.

You're a fucking line of text. You shouldn't become anything more. Stop trying to overlap the 2D/3D divide.
>>
>>580780
>so it cannot be edited in anyway.
You.
Fucking.
Idiot.
You are the prime example of everything that is wrong with this site: people who are completely fucking unaware of the playful nature of the Internet. There was a time not all that long ago when such an obvious would have been met with smirks. Now we are in a time when most of the readers take is fucking seriously and don't realise how stupid they are in the process.

It's like someone reading The Magic Faraway Tree and thinking it was a fucking travel guide like the Lonely Planet series. People like you exist and are in the majority here. That is precisely where the problems stem from. Motherfuckers don't lurk anymore.
>>
>>581310
Yeah, and you suck on our teets to have a website to talk on. You're rats in our attic that live off us keeping the site online for your good graces, you leech.
>>
>>580558
Give decent janitors extra tools/powers, like nuking (deleting all posts made by x IP), thread deletion, etc.
>>
File: zipi-zape-inglaterra.jpg (188 KB, 630x347) Image search: [Google]
zipi-zape-inglaterra.jpg
188 KB, 630x347
>>580558
This made me remember this from when I was a fucking kid 25 years ago or more, goddam
>>
>>581341
>You are the prime example of everything that is wrong with this site
Ironic, coming from a /q/tard
>>
>>581478
you nerd
>>
>>581478
Would you mind translating? I can sorta get the gist from body language and context but I'd like to hear what it says.
>>
>>581681
- Look, this lady has the same profile than Spain's map.
- And this, looks like a grape leave right? Well nope, it's France's map profile...
- And this one that resembles Cruyff's (the footballer) leg, looks a lot like Italy's map
- This looks like a dog, if I turn it upside down, it's Greece's cheat sheet
- And this lady dressed 1900's style isn't that lady, it's the cheat sheet of the profile of England
- And the cheat sheeting doesn't stop here, because that drawing you've taken as a poor woman with a frayed dress, compare it and look how it has the profile of Cordica and Sardinia

The premise was that the MC kids had a Geography exam (they had to draw the countries by memory) and art homework, so they copied the profile of the countries into drawings and had them put around the class, so they could copy them. It all went well until the faggot kid revealed the trick to the professor

I don't remember the outcome properly, but I believe the faggot kid got punished for being a shit bastard and the MC kids got like only a light punishment for their creativity
>>
What conclusion did we draw from this thread
>>
>>581741
Janitors need the power to delete threads instead of waiting on the lazy ass mods to do it

Fuck how is it that 8ch is run better than this place? Mods are probably salty over that fact. That and 8ch were the ones that doxxed Troid, RapeApe and Swaglord
>>
File: 2f7.png (56 KB, 1247x441) Image search: [Google]
2f7.png
56 KB, 1247x441
>>581943
Maybe because there is more interaction with the userbase? For example, /film/ has a meta thread where users discuss certain issues and the board owner gives their opinion.
>>
>>581955
Which is what we need. Except the mods here despise is and don't want to do their jobs they do for free.

If the mods actually talked to us more maybe we wouldn't fucking hate them.
But nope the leaked IRC logs showed the mods hate transparency and don't want to talk to us
>>
>>581955
This is how 4chan should have been from the beginning. Good going moot you fucking retard
>>
>>581955
We need a massive overhaul in power. But Hiro is reluctant to do that and the mods will fight to the death to prevent any changes they hate
>>
File: 1466638701650.jpg (149 KB, 897x227) Image search: [Google]
1466638701650.jpg
149 KB, 897x227
I must stress: effective interaction.
Back in 2015 on /fa/ some people wanted to make a new sticky.
>Feel free to submit sticky suggestions via the Feedback page. If you can demonstrate that you've solicited feedback from the board in advance (link us to an archived thread), all the better!

Guess what the reaction was from the mods.
I'm not STHLM, it's his screencap.
>>
>>581986
screencap of what? that looks like it was made in MS Paint
>>
>>581989
IRC chat
>>
>>581986
Jesus fuck. Now you see why people despise the mods on here. They simply don't give a shit about this site at all
>>
Christ Hiro can you please just get in here already?
>>
>>582132
They care a lot about the site. They don't give a shit about the users. We users are basically walking talking problems.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.