[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of sageing a thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: question.jpg (4 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
4 KB, 225x224
What's the point of sageing a thread?
>>
so it doesn't bump and stay alive any longer than it should.
>>
>>570640
So it's kinda like a downvote
>>
>>570643
You can thank moot for making threads get deleted based on least number of bumps instead of pruning the least actives (like 2ch) or the oldest (like Futaba).
>>
>>570647
Bump
>>
>>570636
It's a tool. A damned useful one too.

It was hidden though because of moronic thinking like this >>570643
although that guy might just be trolling

Probably the best way to understand why sage is useful is to see for yourself. Instead of listening to what other people tell you, just make it a point to ask yourself on every single post you make "does this need to bump the thread? Would I prefer this doesn't bump the thread?"
You'll be surprised how many times you might answer yes to that question.

For some reason though it's hard for people to see it when we're just sitting here talking about it, and they just see stuff like sagebombs happening and started crying about sage being a "downvote" because it hurt their feelings.
>>
>>570643
No.
>>
>>570636
To downvote it.
>>
i don't know, i'll try it out and see

edit: apparently it lets you post in a thread without bumping it. neat!
>>
On the select few boards where it is still used, and even used correctly at that, it is polite to sage when are you making a non-contributory post to a thread. While it may seem like it doesn't have much purpose any more with all these cancerous chat room generals where people bump the thread every 2 minutes with "i farted kek", it still helps keep topical discussion towards the front.
The ubiquitous catalog has taken some of sage's purpose away, but not all of it.
>>
>>570643
no, calling something Reddit is downvoting.
>>
>>570710
It's just a tool. There isn't such a thing as "polite sage" nor "downvote sage". You just use it to not age a thread, for whatever reason you have.
>>
File: sage.png (135 KB, 700x719) Image search: [Google]
sage.png
135 KB, 700x719
( ̄人 ̄)↓sage↓
>>
>>570643
No, imagine a thread where every post was a sage then you have someone bump once its on the last page.
>>
Replies that say "sage" and nothing else should be bannable according to global rule 6 and the same reasoning that makes it bannable to announce a report.
Oh shit, you don't like a thread, added nothing to it but +1 post count, and couldn't be arsed to write a full sentence expressing your disapproval! What a sick burn! I guess we have to stop the thread immediately!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.