[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Many people have been saying mobile IP addresses should be banned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: smart-phone-vector-1041740.jpg (27 KB, 380x400) Image search: [Google]
smart-phone-vector-1041740.jpg
27 KB, 380x400
Many people have been saying mobile IP addresses should be banned from posting on 4chan.

Now there are many reasons why people say "phoneposting" shouldn't be allowed, but that's not what this thread is about.
This thread is about why posting from a mobile IP address SHOULD be allowed. I want to know the counter-arguments.
>>
>>570296
people don't post cp from mobile ips. that alone makes mobile > pc.
>>
>>570296
Anyone who says phone posting shouldn't be allowed is a dumb cuck thinking you can't actually engage in conversation from a phone and get triggered when they see "image.jpg". It's easy to range ban people who ban evade with their mobile data, its just that no one can be bothered to spam from a phone.

Prove me wrong.
>>
phoneposting opens up for a much larger userbase, I'm not sure whether they actually earn money on them through advertising, but if this was the case, it'd make for a lot of money.
>>570308
The problem isn't that you can't engage in conversation, it's that the majority of users posting from phones don't participate and provide high quality comments/images as well as those on computers.

It's still possible on mobile, no doubt, but search "image.jpg" in any of the archives on your board of choice and the results should speak for itself.
>>
>>570308
>It's easy to range ban people who ban evade with their mobile data
True enough, but what about proxies and VPN? Were they not banned because of regular abuse? Why should mobile IPs have an easy way out when they are more common?
>>
>>570308
dumb phoneposter.
>>
What about tablets and laptops?
>>
>>570328
I think it's more about it being a mobile IP address (posting using a 3G/4G LTE network) than the device itself.
>>
>>570315
>image.jpg
I don't get this meme. I've recently been posting from my phone every day (even at home), and not once have my pictures ended up being renamed to "image.jpg" .

What gives?
>>
>>570645
Only for iphone users. Android users get tmpblahblahblahblah
>>
It wouldn't be fair to the inner city and third world posters. Also no PTP posting during class? Think about what you're saying man!
>>
>>570296

>mobile IP addresses should be banned

This is retarded. I do think phoneposting has led to a lot more shitposting but it's probably not too easy to ban outright.

Yes, mobile carriers are alotted IP addresses but the IP address from a mobile device doesn't have any markers to distinguish it from a PC. The carriers keep a listing of all their IP's, but if Hiro asks them to provide the list they'll just tell him to fuck off.

Now there are markers that tell a site if you're on mobile which brings up their mobile site instead of their desktop site. This can be used to ban people using their phone's browser. However, I don't know if it would work for 4chan apps or how easily it could be bypassed.
>>
>>570891
Finally, an interesting post that has been thought out.
If it were possible, would you want posting from a mobile IP to be disallowed? Should it only be allowed on a few boards?
>>
>>570929

I'd start out with only banning mobile posters from making threads and see how that turns out. Not going to lie, when I shitpost, I grab my phone, turn off wifi, make the thread, then reply and bump it from my PC. Only the thread maker gets banned, people who reply to blatant shitposting threads rarely get banned.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I suspect mobile devices probably have an identifier based on their operating system that tells sites they're a mobile device. Maybe that can readily be used to block them.
>>
What about using mobile hotspots? Does that count as phone posting?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.