[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to save a file as the filename instead of random
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1464735833985.webm (3 MB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
1464735833985.webm
3 MB, 426x240
Is there any way to save a file as the filename instead of random numbers?
Copy/Pasta gets tedious, and it's chore to type them out when they're long & end with dots.
>>
>>556831
the filenames aren't 'random' and you're an idiot
>>
File: 1452852248884.jpg (10 KB, 237x253) Image search: [Google]
1452852248884.jpg
10 KB, 237x253
>>556839
You're the idiot for misunderstanding.

When you "right click" and "save" the filename are always numbers.
I want to save & have the original filename text already displayed to save as.
>>
>>556846
The number presented still is not a random number.
>>
4chan X has a "Download file" entry in the post menu that saves with the original file name, and you can add a one-click download link if you want by changing the file info formatting setting.
>>
>>557030
Ah yeah that works, thanks
>>
>>556846
No no, he was trying to say that the numbers are a date.

The post numbers are the number of miliseconds since the unix epoch. You might notice that they always start with 14, etc.
>>
>>557196
I assumed they worked like post numbers and that was just how many images had been posted desu
>>
>>557286
That would make you both a fucking idiot and a lazy cunt who made a thread before bothering to do basic research. Either way, step in front of a bus and take one for the team.
>>
>>557387
not the guy you're responding to but you shuold chill out dude
>>
>>557387
I didn't make this thread, and how am I a lazy cunt for not researching the file naming system of an anime imageboard? or a fucking retard for that matter? I was just making an offhand comment that I'd always just assumed it was working the same way as post numbers
>>
>>556831
What's going on in that webm?
>>
>>557504
Okay, friend...

You said "Random numbers" and somebody objected to your use of the word "random." Then you doubled down and didn't understand what they were saying when they were objecting. The CORRECT thing to say would have been something like, "Sorry. You know what I meant. I know they aren't ACTUALLY random" and then it wouldn't have been three additional posts of people calling you an idiot.
>>
>>557504
Because anyone with at least shallow knowledge of the site and few months of lurking/posting would've realized that that's clearly not how the image filename works or could work. You'd either have to be a complete newfag or a complete retard.
>>
>>557196
>The post numbers are the number of miliseconds since the unix epoch.
So what happens in 2038?
>>
>>557685
2038 is actually why we keep trying to get everybody to change to 64 bit architecture.

My guess is around 2035 we'll start seeing banks finally update off Windows XP.
>>
>>557652
that wasn't my post either, >>557286 was my first in this thread. again I was just making a comment that it was interesting to note and I'd never really put much thought into it, being ignorant and such.

>>557674
no, they wouldn't have you autist, of course I've never put great thought into the image file naming system of this site. I've neither put the same amount of thought into other things I use regularly, same way I don't know exactly what goes into creating the digits in a barcode without looking it up, even though I've been buying things all my life. this isn't information I've ever been taught or gone out of my way to find out, and I really don't think the majority of posters, honestly, have either.

it's got absolutely nothing to do with how new I am. and I really wouldn't base how much of a retard an individual is over their knowledge of trivia about an anime imageboard.
>>
>>559174
>an anime imageboard.
/a/ and /cm are anime imageboards. This one is not.
>>
>>559174
Nobody's asking you to know every single detail of how everything works, but it's clear that if you spend enough time on this site, you'd notice how slowly the imagefile name number increases, making it rather impossible to be linked purely to the number of images posted and that the previous years would have to have much more images posted than nowadays. Hell, it'd mean that there'd have to be hundreds of images posted every second for the number to get so high.

That's also disregarding that it means that you aren't familar with any other anonymous imageboard site, since their imagenames use the same system, so for it to be linked to 4chan specifically makes zero sense to begin with.
>>
>>556831
What's going on in that webm?
>>
>>559189
>it's clear that if you spend enough time on this site you'd know a trivial fact about the image naming system

no, it isn't. stop saying that. I have not made that observation because I'm ignorant and didn't bother thinking about it yes, but it meaning I'm a "fucking newfags ammirite /b/ xD" is obviously incorrect.

>you aren't familiar with any other imageboard site

of course I'm fucking not, what even worthwhile ones are there, when this already is my native language site anyway. what did you even mean by that statement.
>>
Jesus christ faggots, shut up.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.