[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if 4chan implemented a requirement of lurking before posting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: 1433004809582.jpg (98 KB, 378x485) Image search: [Google]
1433004809582.jpg
98 KB, 378x485
What if 4chan implemented a requirement of lurking before posting? Like, Hiro announces that you need to create an account name and password (your name still shows as anonymous and everything is the same when you post. no email attached or anything. forget your password? too bad) and after however long the lurk period will be set to is from the announcement, everyone's account will have to be at least that old to post. That way, faggots who just wanna come and shit up the place can lurk but not post. I had this idea the other day and I don't post here much but I thought you guys would have an opinion on this so feel free to discuss if this idea hasn't already been brought up
>>
Any type of account creation is going too far and you know it.
>>
>>554573
https://www.4chan.org/pass
http://be.2ch.net/

lol
>>
File: CQbPb76U8AAbAk0.png large.png (264 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
CQbPb76U8AAbAk0.png large.png
264 KB, 640x480
>>554574
lol yourself faggot
>>
File: 1435324257521.jpg (470 KB, 1280x1978) Image search: [Google]
1435324257521.jpg
470 KB, 1280x1978
>>554576
ok well

sure. go ahead. sounds good. I'm all for quality assurance. do it now. Go for it hiro. GO HIRO GO.
>>
What are the reasonable arguments against this?
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 500x500
>>554578
>create a batch of 500 accounts
>mark a date on the calendar
>come back and release a torrent of backed-up feces
>>
>>554579
devilish.
>>
>>554579
OP here, what if there was a one account per IP limit and accounts were deleted due to inactivity? (you can create another account once yours has been deleted or you delete it yourself) I think that would help with that problem
>>
File: 1457501190724.png (52 KB, 491x650) Image search: [Google]
1457501190724.png
52 KB, 491x650
>>554579
>whole point of the account is to keep track of your lurking
>records how much time you've actively spent on 4chan
>have to actually lurk instead of just making the account and coming back however long later without touching it
>if a retard spams shitposts everywhere he'll be banned and can't do anything about it
>ip ban-evading will be obsolete with the account system in motion since making another account will mean you will have to tolerate the lurk period again
>>
File: rsStKnj.jpg (277 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rsStKnj.jpg
277 KB, 1280x720
>>554581
you've over-thinking things. let the account use as many IPs as it wants. so long as the account's not banned it's allowed to post
>>
>>554583
well I was thinking that your IP will be connected to a particular account so that you can't make multiple accounts at the same time with the same device but you can still log in to said account from different devices no problem if you know the username and password
>>
>>554570
Nice try reddit
>>
>>554582
I want to do some shitposting but I can't tell if that image is thick or not.
>>
File: 1416011533921.png (246 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1416011533921.png
246 KB, 640x480
>>554638
Well I won't inform you since I'm not particularly fond of that brain-dead meme.
>>
Man. An account system would fix so many of the problems with this site but idiots are too stubborn to admit it. Like you said, it would be an anonymous account, so it wouldn't change anything on the frontend. But it would make things hell for ban evaders.
>>
>>554576
It doesn't have to be in order to refute the sentiment. The concept of paying for posting on an anonymous and ephemeral image board website is inherently invalid.

>>554578
The concept itself does not fit the format from a design, practicality or an ideological perspective.
>>
>>554582
>whole point of the account is to keep track of your lurking
Of which has no fucking place on 4chan.
You are trying to regiment a place which is chaotic in nature due it its design.

What you've basically done is debase the concept of "lurk moar" by wanting it to be governed by an authoritative body. This revokes the remainder of our privacy and scope of expression and undermines the concept of anonymity to its core. I genuinely hope you are part of team Hot Pocket and not an actual human being because your stated reasoning is absolutely fucking repulsive and cancer of the highest order. My intentions are for your best interests when I say this: drink bleach and die you disgusting cunt.
>>
Literally no one would be able to post and their isn't anything to lurk at.
>>
File: 1421156455909.jpg (237 KB, 483x640) Image search: [Google]
1421156455909.jpg
237 KB, 483x640
>>554649
well excuuuuuse me, princess
>>
>>554649
well, the good old chaotic nature of 4chan is pretty long dead currently. the site is overrun by people who post from their iPhones and send screencaps to 9gag and reddit and shit for the attention. it wouldn't have to be a permanent feature but something to at least restore some dignity to this place and remove tourists who want to be part of le epic hacker culture yikyak/kik/gamergate complete garbage threads
>>
>>554648
>The concept of paying for posting on an anonymous and ephemeral image board website is inherently invalid.
https://www.4chan.org/pass
http://be.2ch.net/

lol
>>
Because Hiroshima has such a good track record handling user credentials
>>
>>554677
There's people who bought 4chan passes AFTER Hiro took over.
I pity them.
>>
>>554570
>Accounts
Smells like leddit up in here
>>
>>554708
Imagine thinking this was a clever post to make.
>>
Or just use cookies
>>
If you want a place where you need an account to post, then why not go to any regular forum?
>>
>>554654
Sorry faggot; this isn't your home to shit up.

>>554655
>well, the good old chaotic nature of 4chan is pretty long dead currently.
Because of scum like OP.
Making it even more comfortable for them is only going to make things worse and yes, it can get worse.

>>554677
But that is just a crazy conspiracy theory, right?
>>
>>554717
Serious?
Who keeps cookies for that long and how does that work for people who access 4chan from different machines?
>>
>>554745
>Making it even more comfortable for them is only going to make things worse and yes, it can get worse.

Then what do you suggest? Removing all the extensions put in place the last several years? Is comfort of posting/browsing really what made the website decline in quality?
>>
File: 36735674567.jpg (40 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
36735674567.jpg
40 KB, 600x600
>>554655
>who post from their iPhones and send screencaps to 9gag and reddit and shit for the attention
How does an account based system that restricts posting solve either of these issues?

I can sign into an account on an iPhone, and I don't need to post to take a screencap.
>>
>>554736
because it still provides the anonymity. My only reason to hesitate to support something like this is it WILL end with mods banning accounts rather than IPs, in which case jannies and mods have ultimate power over the users
>>
File: 1454735464342.png (127 KB, 603x480) Image search: [Google]
1454735464342.png
127 KB, 603x480
>>555107
Removing things like invisible sage and auto-noko have been suggested for quite a while.
>>
>>555107
no but it can only help if we make the site less user-friendly. of course the site owner wants traffic, the users want less newfags so this will never, ever get enforced
>>
>>554751
You know all the people who have no problem with the captcha because they just have to check the box and submit? Those people.
>>
>>555124
I think you underestimate how much bullshit people can put up with as well as how stubborn people can be.
>>
>>555127
regarding what? If the site is less user friendly it absolutely will have an effect on the number of newfags who stay here long term. It may be only 10% of people but that's still a positive difference for very little work
>>
Make being anonymous a privilege instead of the default. Everyone is forced to make an account and is given a humiliating tripcode-name and no ability whatsoever to post images or write posts longer than 100 characters. Also, they must solve the captcha 10 times for each post, which gets increasingly more annoying and tedious.
Only after a while is the user given the right to be anonymous and post normally. Making more quality contribution might lower the time until the user is allowed to become anonymous.
>>
Make default posting sage so you have to manually remove it from options to bump. Pass users can choose to toggle this off.
>>
>>554570
It would instill a mounting post privilege system aka elitism boasting

>not even the rude poster want that
>>
>>554581
Many people do not have their own IP. For example, my internet is provided through my apartment complex, though the IP address is shared per building, so that would mean there could only be one account made by someone in each building even though each building holds around 64 people.

Additionally, ISPs commonly use dynamic addresses, so you may get an IP address that has already been registered with, blocking you from registration.

Further, these metrics wouldn't stop people from creating large batches of accounts. I have paid access to several hundred proxies and a few dozen vpns, the IPs of which are changing regularly. I could easily write a bash script that would loop through all the proxies and register an account.

As far as the general idea, op, the lurk period means less quality users over time. If you want to make quality posts, are you going to lurk for however long? No, you're just going to somewhere else because why the fuck should you wait?

>>554573
this is correct.

>>554574
passes are optional.
>>
>>555218
>passes are optional.
2ch's most important boards only allow thread creation to people with a Ronin account.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.