[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rename /v/ and add /vo/ - Video Games Only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1216013673183.jpg (22 KB, 478x361) Image search: [Google]
1216013673183.jpg
22 KB, 478x361
https://www.strawpoll.me/10376040

Here's how we need to solve the /v/ dilemma. Over the past few years /v/ has grown to be one of the largest boards on 4chan, incredibly fast and almost impossible to moderate. There's also a significant issue where things related to '/v/ culture' ends up taking up significant board presence. This includes your e-celeb posts, twitter he-said-she-said, drama of the week and so forth.

/v/ has gotten a little better, but it's been slowly suffering. The tertiary stick we had a while ago did little to help. So my proposal is simple: Rename /v/ to Video Games / Random. Moderate it similar to /b/ to significantly the moderating overhead.

Next, add /vo/ which is explicitly Video Games Only. No discussion about twitter, review sites / scores, e-celebs or anything like that. If people want to talk about that, they can move to /v/. This solves a lot of the shitposting issues, relieves moderator loads and hopefully leads to higher quality discussions. Other board splits don't solve the core problem behind /v/, which is that it has a higher ratio of shitposting to actual quality posts compared to pretty much any board on 4chan.
>>
That would cause Random to be still too fast, and Only to be too slow. The West/Jap split produces a 50-50 split.

Anyway, there's no point in talking about a split. The majority doesn't want it, and that's who Hiro will be listening to.
>>
>>549374
Random would be fast, but that's the point. It's fast but because of the laxed moderation there's less work that has to be done. I don't think /vo/ would be too slow since I think there's a decent amount of people that are fed up with the type of shitposting /v/ gets.

That said, it's almost always a bad idea to listen to the majority. If the majority had its way, /v/ would be even worse. The 'majority' want this twitter drama, self-righteous bullshit on a video game board.
>>
>>549340
>Here's how we need to solve the /v/ dilemma.
Yeah, get mods to fucking moderate. There are already rules in place that state that /v/ is for video games only. Making a board for something that already fucking exists is pointless and an admission that mods aren't bothered to moderate properly.
>>
>>549404
Have you ever moderated /v/, or been a janitor for /v/?

You can't moderate a board that moves so fast effectively, especially not when a large amount of the users are incredibly fond of their 'culture' which involves shitposting and non-video game bullshit.

It's an admission that /v/ is dead. I've long accepted that. It's time to leave /v/ to the shitposters and add a board for the people who want to discuss video games, not twitter.
>>
File: shit trope man.jpg (18 KB, 159x166) Image search: [Google]
shit trope man.jpg
18 KB, 159x166
Yeah I left /v/ a few years ago, perhaps 2011, and have returned to the place just recently.

It's pretty fucking bad. I can't really remember how bad it used to be but right now it's pretty terrible.
Biggest thing that annoys me is how few topics the board can talk about. You might get the odd thread about a lesser known game, but 90% of the board is just flooding of 2-3 games.

I can tell the mods are scared of doing anything because they know how volatile /v/tards are from Gamergate.
But jesus christ I wish they would sweep up duplicate topics and give some warnings to people who keep chainposting about just one game or topic.

I think the serious/fun /v/'s would be a good idea. Somebody said they have this on 2ch, and it's called the "flipside" system, or something?
One board is serious and on-topic, moderated
One board is pretty much anything goes

I've been hoping to see Hiro write some code and experiment with some ideas like this.
I think it would be really successful.
>>
>>549412
we have /vg/
i guess
>>
>>549422
I agree this is a good idea.

The only problem I could see with it, other than maybe over working the servers?, is that people would view the serious board as "the good board" and the casual one as "the bad board". If their shitpost thread gets moved to the bad board they'd take offense and insist on shitposting on the good board.

I'm curious as to how well it works on 2ch and how they deal.
>>
>>549422
>I can tell the mods are scared of doing anything because they know how volatile /v/tards are from Gamergate.

It's not just that, its the fact bans literally do nothing anymore. I have seen first hand how easy it is to shit post on a mobile phone, get banned, clear your cookies, rejoin mobile data and be able to post again. That's what that one faggot keeps doing (forgot the name but hes black and people make fun of his small dick).

I think the best solution is to ban IPs associated with mobile data.
>>
Let me show you how far I read:

>https://www.str

And that's where I stopped reading.
>>
>>549471
Ruggarell.
>>
>>549429
/vg/ doesn't quite fit the same niche due to the nature of it being focused on micro-communities.
>>
>>549340
>This solves a lot of the shitposting issues
So the tl;dr of your post is "Lets move the things I don't like to another board"?
>>
>>549340
Stop trying to fix /v/. There are already websites out there that have what you want.

You realize that you're allowed to use more than one website, right?
>>
My advice is to stop trying to discuss video games on any serious level.
>>
>>550060
Yes, exactly. Because twitter drama has no place on /v/, yet retards seem intent on forcing their shit down everyones throats to the extent that it becomes harder to moderate effectively.

>>550063
I already do, but thanks for being a retard. Just because there are better websites doesn't mean /v/ isn't deserving of being fixed.

>>550070
I agree. I don't want serious video game discussion, I just want video game discussion period without the people whining about what someone said on twitter and how games are dying because of it. That is taking video games far more seriously than anything else.
>>
>>550075
When I post on /v/ I ask very specific questions to weed out faggots who haven't even played whatever game I'm posting about. It works every time.

/v/ will never be browse-worthy on a general level. It's not even a /v/ issue, gaming itself is filled with shitheads and you need to stick with pockets in the community.
>>
>>550075
>I already do, but thanks for being a retard. Just because there are better websites doesn't mean /v/ isn't deserving of being fixed.

Not everybody thinks that /v/ needs to be fixed. /v/ is one of 4chan's fastest boards. What the hell do you think compels people to be there all the time if they don't like it? Is it actually a big group of people just like you that is somehow addicted in some abusive relationship that you can't leave?

There's nothing to FIX. It WORKS. It gets ad revenue, people talk. It doesn't MATTER that they don't talk about video games. You're talking about splitting /v/ a FIFTH time. Do you see a pattern? And then tomorrow, what? "We need to fix /vo/. They talk about video games, sure, but they talk about too many memes so I propose we make /vom/ for video games only memes, and rename /vo/!"

Fuuuuck Ooooofffffffff.

There's shitposting on /v/ because the people on /v/ LIKE SHITPOSTING. They SHITPOST on PURPOSE you dumbass.
>>
>>550078
I absolutely think it's a /v/ issue, simply because there are a lot of parallels to the anime community and yet /a/ ends up having higher quality discussions most of the time than /v/.

There's no doubt that gaming is filled with complete retards though. I just think it's possible to force those retards to shut the fuck up about shit that isn't video games.

>>550079
/v/ being one of 4chan's fastest boards is the problem and the workload needs to be split. Imageboards weren't designed with this amount of traffic in mind and it shows, especially back when the /vg/ and /vp/ splits occurred because they were literally forcing everything else off the board.

And you're part of the problem. Shitposting should never be considered a norm outside of /b/, full stop. The moment you accept that shitposting is ok is the moment you've gone full retard. And you're the faggot that can fuck off.
>>
>>550086
>/v/ being one of 4chan's fastest boards is the problem and the workload needs to be split. Imageboards weren't designed with this amount of traffic in mind and it shows, especially back when the /vg/ and /vp/ splits occurred because they were literally forcing everything else off the board.
>And you're part of the problem. Shitposting should never be considered a norm outside of /b/, full stop. The moment you accept that shitposting is ok is the moment you've gone full retard. And you're the faggot that can fuck off.

The medium is the message you dumbass. 4chan doesn't need to change to suit you. You're the minority. Changing 4chan straight up removes a certain kind of website from existence and that is fundamentally wrong.

You can make a new 4chan.

Hell you don't even HAVE to. NEW 4CHAN'S ALREADY EXIST.

"Imageboards weren't made for this kind of speed" is true, and yet 4chan continues to exist. If it were slower, it wouldn't be modern 4chan anymore. You can go to fucking 7chan or 8gag or 9chan or 10chan or 11chan or 12chan or 420chan or whatever the fuck else website. They even have video games boards over there!

You are not the godhead of 4chan and you never will be. The amorphous mob blob is supposed to exist, and it will persist without you.

You don't even fucking like it here. Go.
>>
>>550086
>simply because there are a lot of parallels to the anime community and yet /a/ ends up having higher quality discussions most of the time than /v
I don't disagree that /a/'s posting is better but it's mostly due to how anime consumption works which is way different than video game consumption.

Anime is diarrhea'd out in packs of about 20 each season. There are no surprises to be had since most people understand what they're getting after so many years of following the medium. There's not that much topically to shitpost about because nothing hardly happens. Content is released and it's consumed.

Video games on the other hand always have some shitstorm brewing, some faggoty group of fans angry about something, SJW shit, etc. It's inherently flawed and thus not worth discussing with anyone, /v/ or otherwise.
>>
>>550090
You are really butthurt about me wanting to fix shitposting on /v/. I'm not even trying to fundamentally change 4chan, just add a new board.

And if you want your shitposting /v/, that's fine. That's what the old /v/ would be for. You can shitpost all you want, just like you are now.

Also I like how you project that I don't like it here. I've been posting on 4chan since late-2006 and will likely continue posting in the future. I'm plenty fine with posting here and on other boards. It's just /v/ has become a problem. And problems need to be solved.
>>
>>550104
>/v/ has become a problem.
>has become

I'm sorry... Do you think that the 5 months after /v/ was created was 5 years or something? /v/ has been a problem for far longer than it was ever an /r/truegaming clone.

Also I like how much you're projecting that I'm projecting right now. Is it your first time here? First time somebody's accused you of meaning something you didn't on 4chan? Buckle up, kid. Happens all the time.
>>
>>550102
The flaw with that argument is that plenty of drama exists within the /a/ community as well. People trying to censor anime, SJWs, fans angry about random shit etc. But you don't see that nearly as often as /v/. It's even gotten slightly better over the years.

I think part of that is because anime has become less of a thing that defines you and more of something you do for the sake of entertainment. Though that's just guesswork on my part.
>>
>>550111
/v/'s issue has only existed insofar a around late-2009 to early-2010 when the feels nonsense took over and /v/ became r9k-lite. This isn't to say /v/ was high quality before then (it was pretty shit even when I started posting here) but rather it was shit-with-video-games. Not shit-with-not-video-games.

Also I wonder what it is with butthurt people and 'kid' insults. You should update your lexicon, since the last time I heard that was from teenagers trying to sound intelligent on Garry's Mod.
>>
>>550121
Oh so /v/ has only been a problem for SEVEN YEARS NOW.

Well you're right! Now is a GREAT time to change it. The 7th year is just the last fucking straw.
>>
>>550125
Cancer can exist for a long time, anon. Doesn't make it any less wrong to fix it.

And it's more that /v/ has progressively gotten worse. But hey, you're one of those guys that believes if it aint broke then don't fix it, right?
>>
>>550134
The cancer.

Wants.

To be.

Cancer.

You are the one who doesn't fit in here. It has been cancer for 7 fucking years. The cancer has evolved into a legitimate community. /v/ isn't getting progressively worse. /v/ is moving progressively away from what you like.

There are websites like the one you want to go on. You don't need to make this random website the way you want it to be. You could be on one of the websites you want.
>>
Delete /v/.
>>
>>550137
I wonder anon. What value do you see in modern-/v/? Do you view it as being an anti-SJW hugbox? Or perhaps a place where you can whine about people on twitter. Perhaps you were one of those people that believed the GG threads were on-topic and should've never been banned.

Regardless, you seem to think that shitposting is a good thing. And if you want shitposting, why don't you go on /b/? That's been my entire proposal: turn /v/ into /vb/ basically. You can keep your cancerous community, and those of us that want something closer to the original can have our own.
>>
>>550147
I view you, wanting to change it, the same way GamerGate views feminism trying to change video games. That being said, kek I don't even play video games on go on /v/. I just want everything to be left alone.

The world of the Internet is INFINITE and human created. You don't need to change other people's shit. You can make your own shit. Make your own shit, Anon. /v/ doesn't belong to you or anybody else. If people agreed with you, then there'd be no need to make a change. If there is a need to make a change, it is in the eyes only of the minority of people. The MAJORITY of people wants to be what they are, and if that offends you, that is your fault. There is no board of executives thinking about how best to make a dollar that designs /v/ the way they think focus groups and testing will make it do the best. /v/ exists as an amorphous ephemeral blob of people that just do whatever feels right to them.

Shitposting isn't a "GOOD" thing, and it isn't a "BAD" thing either. It's just a thing, that you obviously don't like, but that the majority obvious does like.
>>
>>550153
You sound legitimately insane. Change is a function of everything and /v/ will never be left alone. Amorphous blobs frequently change shapes and can be influenced by a multitude of factors.

By your own argument /v/ belongs to no one and it belongs to everyone. I have as much right to demand the board be changed as anyone else does.
>>
>>550159
If you want to be the change you want to see, and then get everybody to start behaving like you because you're just so cool that they look up to you, that would be fan-fucking-tastic. I really do wish you the best.

If you want to MANDATE that people HAVE to act like you want them to whether they like it or not, that is not okay. That is absolute bullshit. Unless you're the admins, that is. Being at the will of the admins is what every 4chan user signs up for when they join.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.