[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's up with this "lowercaseposter" meme I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: 1450505791605.jpg (171 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450505791605.jpg
171 KB, 1280x1024
what's up with this "lowercaseposter" meme I've been seeing around?
since when are you required to write formal english to post on an imageboard
is it just faggots being autistic and overreacting?
or is this really how people are spending their time now?
worrying so much about who named their files what and who posts from their phone and who uses what capitalization conventions and punctuation insterad of discussing anything?
>>
Its because autists have special-snowflake-Russel-Crowe-minds and they think everyone who doesn't have perfect grammar comes from Tumblr.
>>
>>547557
is it really?
I guess I don't get the secret club bullshit then, since most of my time online has been spent on small forums or irc channels where everyone writes in lowercase except "I" and no one bothers with periods or colons unless they really want to

what a road for 4chan to go down man, the site is full of tons of off-topic posting and baiting, and the only thing they can focus on is how you type and what your pics are named
>>
>>547564
Uncomfortable reminder:

>Moot quit 4chan before you did
>>
>>547553
People who don't capitalize generally shitposts. It's just the way things work.
>>
>>547572
people who criticize other people's english and then fuck up their grammar usually look like idiots
>>
>>547573
Hey, I don't make the rules here. moot did.
>>
i've never been called out on lowercaseposting despite having typed exclusively in lowercase for years.
it's probably just being used as another ironic boogeyman like phoneposting
>>
>>547553
>faggots running to /qa/ after the /a/ thread gets deleted
I see now.
>>
>>547578
Thanks anon. Now I will call out every faggot who post lowercase bullshit thanks to your insight.

>>547573
Fuck off.
>>547553
Fuck off.
>>
i do it because it is fun
>>
>>547585
Fuck off.
>>
>>547580
I came here because I have no fucking clue what the /a/ thread was about and there were a solid 2-3 threads I was in that got derailed and my posts deleted because I didn't use some mysterious writing conventions

I had never heard of any of this shit until about 3 hours ago and I've been around 4chan for close to 3 years at this point
I just want to know what the fuck is going on
is it the new shitposting craze?
is it the new hot thing to accuse someone of being a shitposter just because you don't like that they don't write how you do?
who's pushing this meme where it blows up in a single day?
>>
>>547583
>>547590
>>
1. enable the robot on /pol/
2. delete /r9k/
>>
JUST
PRESS
THE
SHIFT
BUTTON

Is that too hard?
>>
>>547591
i started seeing it right after the mods started cracking down on shitposters indiscriminately accusing everyone of being from reddit.
it didn't last long because it wasn't funny and nobody gave a shit, but maybe now someone's trying to force it again?
>>
>>547599
Fuck off.
>>
>>547602
(you)
>>
>>547602
OK YOU WIN HERE ARE SOME CAPITAL LETTERS FOR YOU
WOW THIS IS ACTUALLY PRETTY FUN
>>
>>547608
(YOU)
>>
Nothing makes me more mad than 3rd worlders posting like this
>greentext
>?????????????????????????????
I believe the more question marks, the dumber the person.
>>
>>547553
T A I G A
A
I
G
A
>>
>>547615
from the threads I've been in it seems like the ones who are so anal about perfect punctuation and capitalization are usually south american or eastern european
seems like they overcompensate a lot for their shitty english by using formal punctuation and capitalization conventions and calling other people out on those things
>>
>>547615
Fix your punctuation, reddit.
>>
>>547607
>>547622
Fuck off.
>>
>>547622
Punctuation is basic English though. Do you even English, burgerland?
>>
>>547632
(you)
>>
>>547636
Fuck off.
>>
>>547637
(you)
>>
>>547639
FUCK
OFF
>>
>>547640
(you)
>>
>>547642
Fuck off.

It's a (You), not a (you).
>>
>>547644
(you)
>>
Fuck this I'm done. So much for first language. Am I right? You >>547645 are too hardheaded to listen to a simple advice that you need to resort to /b/ posting. At this rate, I don't care If I sound mad. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But make no mistake. At least I use proper grammar in this entire paragraph! Fuck this, I'm going to bed.
>>
>>547647
(you)
>>
>>547648
I'm done. Go away.
>>
case in point here >>547634
we have an average /int/ poster
he is from a underdeveloped country and despite consuming massive amounts of media and using sites from america, he has an inferiority complex about the good old USA
he does not speak english very well, it is his 2nd or 3rd language
as such, he will post about "burgerland" and make sure he uses formal punctuation and capitalization so he cannot be called out for being in an underdeveloped country
he also spends his time calling out other people with less than perfect grammar because he wants all suspicion of him living in an underdeveloped country to be gone, and the fastest way is to accuse someone else of it

pretty sad when you get down to it
>>
>>547656
.ffo kcuF
>>
>>547553
Why would you get so worked up over this? Remember that you're not on an IRC room or whatever other kind of chat, despite 4chan having become something like that even without extensions. There's no need to be in any kind of hurry, so why not try to make your posts readable?
>6. The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.
>>
>>547656
>trying to rationalize lowcaps posting
This is murrican education.
>>
>>547661
lower case posting does not remove any quality from the post
you are an idiot if you think that pressing shift once or twice and using a period makes a difference
>inb4 "why don't you do it then?"
because I don't feel like changing how I do things because an autist throws a temper tantrum like how >>547660 and >>547664 and many other people are
>>
>>547667
>lower case posting does not remove any quality from the post
There is absolutely no reason not capitalize the letters, ever.
>you are an idiot if you think that pressing shift once or twice and using a period makes a difference
Kek
kek
See the difference?
>because I don't feel like changing how I do things because an autist throws a temper tantrum like how >>547660 (You) and >>547664 (You) and many other people are
Then stop posting entirely.
>>
boy this sure is a worthwhile argument
>>
>>547670
there is no difference in reading either of those lines
absolutely none

are you telling me you are this autistic that you will sit in a thread and throw a fit because someone doesn't type by your rules?
I have no words to describe how incredibly sad your life must be if you spend your day on 4chan playing grammar nazi
>>
>>547615
the question marks are a meme you dip
>>
>>547670
>Kek
>kek
both are fucking retarded 2bh
>>
i only post in lower case when i am making one-liners, low-quality posts, or telling someone off who i suspect may be a major autist

by masquerading as someone who simply does not give a shit you can occasionally head off angry qualityposters
>>
Oh shit I missed that thread.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with not using caps. It's a particularly shitty attempt to police posts.
The reason people can get called out on filenames would be that images on a lot of sites have restrictions before they can get uploaded, or they get compressed when they do, which lowers the image quality.
>>
>>547553
Because its shitposting, dumbass. As in, the literal meaning. Aka it's low quality posting. This has always been the case. If you don't speak in proper English, you are assumed to be shitposting, trolling, baiting, not serious or just in general a dumbass.

>>547591
>I've been around 4chan for close to 3 years at this point
Stop posting and lurk moar than idiot.
>>
>>547672
>there is no difference in reading either of those lines
Yes there is, one is proper English, the other isn't. One of these makes you look like a web2.0 faggot who thinks because he's on the internet he can be a total fucktard. Because normal language conventions mean nothing because he's on the internet. Ala he's 12 years old. The other makes you at-least look like a competent person.
>>
>>547650
>>547660
(you)
>>
File: need.png (63 KB, 393x268) Image search: [Google]
need.png
63 KB, 393x268
>>547597
>using shift for anything other than ~!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:">?
I have grown too attached to caps lock.
>>
>>547842
No one cares if you use perfect English besides autistic foreigners
>ala
If you're going to criticize and demand proper English, you should learn it yourself first
>>
>>547553
All lower case gives off the impression that you don't care about your post. "This post was made with minimal effort." Sometimes that might be what you want to convey, for example >>547694 or >>547833. But if someone writes out a long post and can't even be bothered to even capitalize the words properly, it's probably stream-of-consciousness rambling not worth reading. I'm not going to make grammar-Nazi shitposts in response, but I will privately judge you.
>>
>>547553
Legit question: Do you not know how to type? Are you hunting and pecking?
>>
>>547924
I can touch type but typing skill has nothing to do with capitalization
Nice try though it was almost a good shitpost
>>
>>547924
i only have index fingers, the other ones were taken from me

please dont discriminate
>>
>>547840
>>547842
I think you're coming off as overbearing anon. As long as the grammar and sentence structure are passable, I personally don't see any issue as long as a post conveys the message the writer had in mind. I don't think it's good to declare meaningful posts to be shitposts just on the basis of how they were written.

I'm not saying that having standards is wrong, that we should accept average social media communication nor that calling out posts on low quality isn't in order. I'm just advocating for a less dismissive attitude on form since we do share site the site with teenagers and people from non-native English speaking countries. That's all.
>>
gas the caps

syntax war now
>>
>>547947
If you paid attention to the thread you'd see it's a bunch of ESL talking shit because a bunch of native speakers don't use formal grammar at all times

You can hardly call not using formal grammar in a hobby board to be low effort or low quality
>>
File: mpv-shot0018.png (842 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0018.png
842 KB, 1280x720
the shift key is so far away
>>
PERSONALLY I BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD TYPE IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME.
>>
>>547599
It's just one or a few autistic shitposters trying to force their unfunny bullshit
I've only ever seen last year and this year
>>
>>548140
WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING ALL THE SUDDEN
>>
I bet lowcaps posters can't even triforce.
>>
>>548140
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.
>>
>>547597
Yes because I OFTEN MISS AND PRESS THE CAPS LOCK
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.