[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An option to ban tripfaging in your own threads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
An option to ban tripfaging in your own threads?
>>
>>540248
I've thought of this idea before, it would stop shitposting but then you would get people complaining that "shills" are stopping them or people who legitimately put on a trip to share something are being trolled

idk
>>
Someone could just as easily troll your thread without a trip.
>>
>>540265
Not OP, but who said it had anything to do with trolling?
Casual use of trips is just cancer, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if they're being a dick or even trying their hardest to make everyone like them, they're all equally bad.
>>
File: (1).png (305 KB, 542x535) Image search: [Google]
(1).png
305 KB, 542x535
It's the people responding negatively to every single trip, no matter the value of their contribution saying "Kill yourself tripfag" that ruin threads, not the trips themselves.
>>
>>540271
That doesn't change the fact that banning tripfags would make the shitposting go away.
>>
>>540280
The kids would simply find something else to get mad about, you can't enforce good behavior.
>>
>>540271
Kill yourself tripfag
>>
>>540271
>>540282
Fuck off and die attention whore.
>>
I hate tripfags but this is a terrible idea.
You don't own anything. You created a discussion's starting point and that's all.
Pull your social media ego back into the planet's orbit.
>>
just filter tripfags or get an addon that anonymizes everyone.
>>
>>540271
>>540282
Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>540300
What does ego and social media have to do with any of this?

Also it's flawed to apply some fundamental philosophy about the purpose of discussions to this because the freedom to tripcode only exists _because_ 4chan gave it to them.
Taking that freedom away is no different than all the freedoms we were simply never given in the first place.

For example I don't have the freedom to edit your posts. Yet if I did we'd be able to apply your same logic if someone wanted to remove that feature
>You don't own anything

and as a side note, let's not pretend tripcodes have anything at all to do with discussions in the first place.
Even in cases where someone deserves to use one because they're contributing something amazing, it's still technically pointless as far as pure discussion goes.
>>
>>540305
>Just close your eyes and pretend it doesn't happen
>>
>>540248
Nope. You don't get to self moderate other's behavior. You can filter them. You can make it so that they appear to be Anonymous with a single click of a button, but you can't impose your will on others. You're not the ruler.

You are free to make your own website, though, and if people really really like you and your ideas, then we'll all join it!
>>
>>540620
Not OP, but that's not self moderation.

Because I'm assuming OP meant you would make your thread tripless at the time of creation. It's not like you're picking and choosing who can tripfag and who can't, or deciding to disable trips in the thread only after they've shown up or anything like that.
>>
>>540248
Giving OPs any power over their threads is bad. Go away.
>>
>>540628
Oh well I'd be all for a board where OP gets to set any number of increasingly arbitrary rules on his thread.

Turn on or off trips, names, subject field. Make it so the thread can only include ascii. CAN'T include ascii? All posts must have images but no text. All posts must be haikus. Implement some wacky regex script shit for your thread? That would be fucking rad.
>>
>>540453
exactly

sorry, bro, but tripfagging is allowed. if it makes your bottom bleed, you need to do something about it on your end.
>>
>>540635
I know you're being sarcastic, but that sounds pretty rad
>>
>>540652
Yeah yeah, it's always easy to just pull out the "but it's allowed" card when you're on that particular side of the fence for that particular issue isn't it?

Something being allowed isn't a valid argument for why it _should be_ allowed.

Also based on the way the site is run can you blame anyone if they don't even really give a shit about what is "allowed" and what's not? Nothing is consistent about what's "allowed" on 4chan anyway.
>>
>>540248
Just get rid of the fucking name field. The only people who ever have a legitimate use for it are for official staff posts and I'm sure they could work out a system of identification without having to use the name field, just as they have access to tools the rest of us aren't able to access.

Americans are not capable of using anonymous boards properly due to their fucking incessant urge for attention whoring and the larger the audience, the more cancerous they become. The name field should have been removed instead of the email field, if anything.
>>
>>540631
It would only be thread creation you braindead fucking moron. Put your trip back on and fuck off to a cancerous circlejerk.
>>
>>540451
>and as a side note, let's not pretend tripcodes have anything at all to do with discussions in the first place.
>it's still technically pointless as far as pure discussion goes.
Not if someone regularly contributes and their identity is a simple verification that a contribution will be good. It also allows them to provide credible information of the present subject, as well as personal information such as progress or personal affairs that affects the future.
>>
>>540791
I actually wasn't. I mean I was at the start, but then I figured that as long as the feature comes with a bunch of other features, then I'd be super okay with it.
>>
>>540451
So much wish-wash. 4chan is 4chan, you can come here and make a post: nothing more. You don't get to dictate who the ones who respond to your thread are, nor in what way they do. The OP's suggestion is retarded, as well malign, and I wish he stepped on a lego.
>>
>>540451
This guy answered jit better than I could have: >>540860
I said social media because people have grown accustomed to claiming a domain to themselves and controlling the discussion there with blocked users and even bots to maintain networked blocked lists.
>>
>>540844
t. tripfag
>>
>>540879
I'm not defending tripfags, just the use of tripcodes. I would feel a tad bad for OP since it could be that he doesn't browse any board with decent discussions or OC creation, but it's more likely that he's just new.
>>
>>540860
>>540873
You forgot your tripcodes. Don't be shy.
>>
>>540844
>please look at me
>>
>>540248
I'm not a tripfag so am I ok?
>>
>>540248
Or forced anonymity.
>>
>>541284
Identity is a privilege. Anonymity is an inalienable right.

and if you think otherwise then get out my face (and 4chan too)
>>
Hold on. I forgot what this vanity trip says. Ignore this post.
>>
>>540803
wanting to ban something simply because it makes you personally upset is literally the worst thing in the world.
>>
>>541586
I'm pretty sure the word "ban" in OP's post wasn't literal.
Pretty sure what the title was supposed to be is
>An option to disable tripfaging in your own threads?
It's the only thing that makes sense.
>>
>your own thread
Damnit, it's too early in the morning for dis shittu.
>>
File: 1463721666217.png (666 KB, 1589x1363) Image search: [Google]
1463721666217.png
666 KB, 1589x1363
>>542267
Fuck off.
Remember to report derp_Commander for ban evading.
>>
>>543043
Do you know what I would think right now if I was a tripfag and people were creating images like this of me and saving them on their harddrives and posting them in threads wherever I went.
and making it obvious that I'm having an impact on them by remembering me and remembering how much I annoy them and going out of their way to tell people to report me?

I would feel flattered. You'd be giving me exactly what I wanted as an attention whore, don't you get it?

You don't win against tripfags by talking to them, the way you win is by ignoring them and telling all the people who respond to them to fuck off. People used to do that on 4chan a lot more and it stopped for some reason.
>>
>>540248
second

Not ban, but give us an option to make the thread anon-only
>>
>>543072
i agree

when making a thread:
putting "anon" in the email field should force anon
putting "id" should show IDs
>>
>>540271
>being this blind
>>
I think 4chan should require you to link your facebook profile and phone number and e-mail account that way you've got some accountability if you shitpost
>>
>>543088
>I think 4chan should require you to link your facebook profile
That actually happened a few years back.
>>
File: 1418319503468,ra.gif (1 MB, 291x320) Image search: [Google]
1418319503468,ra.gif
1 MB, 291x320
>>544019
>>
And enabled by default.
>>
>this sequence of letters triggers the faggot

Enjoy, OP.
>>
>>540300
lol
Both 2ch and 2chan have thread-specific settings settable by OP, kid.
>>
>>544077
4chan isn't either of those, no one cares faggot.
>>
>>544091
I care
>>
>>544138
You caring means nothing when what those sites do is irrelevant to what 4chan should do.
>>
File: 1425774432314.jpg (96 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
1425774432314.jpg
96 KB, 500x340
>>544142
But they are our brothers!
>>
>>544077
Oh, sorry. I thought this thread was about 4chan.
>>
>>544151
Your confusion is understandable.
>>
>>544145
Source of that manga?
>>
>>540248
If you had a check box next to the create thread dialog that forced anonymity then tripfags would just have to start avatarfagging. Attention whores need attention and they will get it at all costs.
>>
>>544315
At least they can't just say "it's allowed" to justify that though.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.