[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't moot understand his own website?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 4651321987.jpg (61 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
4651321987.jpg
61 KB, 1280x721
Why didn't moot understand his own website?
>>
Because he was a fucking child when making it and he just wanted a place to easily dump hentai with his SA friends.

Hiro was over 20 when he made 2ch to steal Ayashii World's users, and Futaba's admin is so smart nobody knows his identity yet after over 15 years.
>>
>>539403
He did understand it, in the end, which is why he left.
>>
>>539417
Are you saying he was the Admin 4chan deserved but not the one it memeed?
>>
>>539423
No, I'm saying that 4chan is an amorphous ephemeral deity that is fundamentally harmful, and moot came to understand that.
>>
>>539403
He did at first, but then he became a normie.
>>
>>539403
Did you learn nothing from the identical thread to this you already made?
>>
>>539570
A lie told a thousand times becomes truth.
>>
>>539572
Only to morons
>>
>>539578
Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>539403
He understood, just didn't like it.

>people are calling me a cuck and they're right!
>>
>>539457
This is the answer. He saw and understood how bad 4chan actually is, and decide that he didn't want to babysit misbehaving children anymore. moot left, because many of YOU are legitimately bad people.
>>
>>539642
He was the boss of the site so he was free to keep banning them though. No idea why he didn't leave /pol/ deleted.
>>
You fools.
>>536790
>>534698
>>
>>540327
Like we care.
>>
>>540321
>>540321
>Lel the projection

This totally wasn't posted by joot ;')
>>
I agree to some degree with this >>539457 but i think a post in another thread gets to the heart of it a little better

"He grew up and stopped caring as much for 4chan's autistic and juvenile antics. At the same time, he spent too much time hanging around with tech entrepreneurs, deluding himself into thinking that 4chan could be a upstanding contributor to internet society, rather than a hangout for a bunch of antisocial faggots.

That's my guess, anyway."

My 2 cents:
Moot created 4chan to discuss anime. Somehow it evolved into a eternally hostile place where some take it too seriously and some too lax. Most of the time people are just plain mean to each other, instead of trying to discuss the topic of the board. When confronted with their ugly personality these jerks hide behind the "4chan culture" instead of admitting that they're just a bad people. Then they say that if you don't like it you belong to reddit (or whatever the flavour of the month boogie man is) and to get out! Eventually the nicer people think... maybe 4chan isn't for them and try less caustic internet communities. Moot watched this everyday for ? years and saw that the website was slowly devolving.. He tried a few things to save it but seeing that nothign helped he eventually gave up and left.

It's anyones guess how 4chan became this way, but I'd wager it's something like:
people want to discuss something, but since many are sociall awkward, for one reason or another resort to sarcasm. newfags read the sarcasm and agree with it, not knowing it's just a joke. the newfags carry on thinking that they belong to the community, while subtly changing the dialogue.

People say 4chan has always been shit. They're probably right but in my 7 years here i've noticed an increase in the negativity and shitposting and a decrease in the bro-posting
>>
>>540882
>i've noticed an increase in the negativity
I believe that to be true. It's as if people come here with the mindset that they should act as abrasive and horrible as possible. The 4chan stereotype is to be as unlikable as possible. People believe they are expected to be rude here, and it only ever grows worse with time due to that. The very poor standards that are enforced by the mods and janitors help speed that along. The degradation of 4chan comes from within and without, and very few people seem to care in the slightest.
>>
>>540327
Easter?
>>
>>541175

I'd go so far as to argue that the imageboard model scales very, very poorly due to GIFT syndrome and the fact that good moderators are rarer than unicorn shit, meaning you have a handful of mods trying to police a website full of thousands of users. It's the problem faced by all large-ish communities, really.
>>
>>539403
Because of the email I sent him
>>
>>541208
I liked what you said at the end there. This why many who seek power (i.e. mods, politicians, policemen) often do it for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>541220

At the same time, though, stuff like post-rating systems of the sort popularized by Digg, Leddit, etc. aren't the solution, either. They're just a poorly conceived band-aid around the real problem of lack of good mods that just swaps out one set of terrible problems (poorly regulated online anonymity leads to asshole users) for another (people fishing for upvotes leading to toxic levels of hiveminding and retaliatory behavior). You need a ton of good mods to be able to police a community the size of 4chan/leddit/insert boogieman here, but the incentives aren't there for there to be enough qualified mods to do so effectively.

In short, I'm not sure there can really be a good online community that isn't:

1.) Small enough to have a good signal-to-noise ratio.
2.) Has enough proactive mods to keep things under control.
>>
The basics have been covered. A few more comments of my own:

1. His focus was on the arts, and artistic interaction. In an effort to maintain this focus he kept subdividing the user base by splitting off more special interest boards. These outsiders overgrew the original group, and began dominating the culture as a whole.

2. The hacktivist players who identified with 4chan originally, lost their loyalty and sought opportunity over community. Additionally, their relevance was pushed aside by greater, worldwide groups -- many of whom held 4chan in absolute contempt.

Wanting to go back to 4chan's roots would mean eliminating two thirds of the boards, and draconian enforcement of a cultural focus around anime. It would also mean the end of 4chan.
>>
>>541381
"Go back to our roots" doesn't make any sense. The roots are when a site is new. If you want to go back to a site's roots, you need to make a new website.
>>
File: maki3.jpg (18 KB, 460x311) Image search: [Google]
maki3.jpg
18 KB, 460x311
>>541381
>and draconian enforcement of a cultural focus around anime
Oh yeah!
>>
>>540882
Boards need hostility for self-regulation.
>>
>>541314
well put. agree on all your points.
>>
>>541562
i agree, to a degree.

someone going on /tv/ and asking for recommendations similar to pulp fiction should be treated with contempt as there are many charts and top 100 lists and it is a pointless thread. But then there is a general hostility that seems to be many anon's default posting mode. This later negativity is what i have a problem with. It makes it difficult to have discussions because people will always come and tel you you're a fucking faggot idiot nigger cuck redditor for holding that opinion. This doesn't hurt my feelings, it just derails the conversation.

How many times have you had someone call you an idiot for your opinion but then after a few more posts realize they actually agree with you? I see it here all the time.

The problem is seeing enough of the 'rec me stuff like pulp fiction' threads slowly turns you sour and into the eternally hostile poster.

So my advice is to not take 4chan too seriously. Don't get too worked up by someones newfaginess (sage and tell them to lurkmoar) and to take the whole site lightly, as it is just a way to waste time.
>>
bump , this thread has some solid discussion
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.