[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate generals so much? I've been lurking some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (129 KB, 278x529) Image search: [Google]
image.png
129 KB, 278x529
Why do people hate generals so much?
I've been lurking some generals and everyone seems to be having fun.
Then when I browse the catalog of the board it's complete chaos of shitposting and shitflinging
>>
File: muh power rankings.gif (4 MB, 496x350) Image search: [Google]
muh power rankings.gif
4 MB, 496x350
Some sort of nostalgia faggots usually have on about how great 4chan was x years ago.
>>
>>539389
Because they're different ree etc.
>>
>>539389
>Why do people hate generals so much?
They are antithetical to the nature of 4chan.
>I've been lurking some generals and everyone seems to be having fun.
You're been lurking outliers.
>Then when I browse the catalog of the board it's complete chaos of shitposting and shitflinging
So are generals almost all of the time, only worse.
>>
>>539420
>F
Go fuck yourself.
>I
Go fuck yourself.
>S
Go fuck yourself.
>K
Go fuck yourself.
>I
Go fuck yourself.
>N
Go fuck yourself.
>G
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>539389
Because most generals devolve into talking about nothing, and/or shitposting endlessly. There are some exceptions, /dbt/, /dat/ and /ovg/ are needed for containment on /o/, but in general they suck.
>>
>>539424
>/dat/
>not shitposting
Why are you shitposting?
>>
>>539421
Separate paragraphs addressed separately for more accurate feedback.
Come back when you finish puberty.
>>
>>539436
OP had a single coherent point and you broke it up into arbitrarily sized pieces of shit to address.

Now, see how I did that? How easy that was? Now allow me to do it like you.

>>539436
>Separate paragraphs addressed separately for more accurate feedback.
It wasn't any more or less accurate. It was just more typing.
>Come back when you finish puberty.
I have already finished puberty, stop projecting.
>>
>>539389
Pretty sure the problem is that people treat it like a chatroom.
They just squat in them all day and really don't even give a shit what the OP is, they just go along with whatever conversation is happening down at the bottom of the thread.

I was trying to think of solutions to this, and I don't think just banning generals will have the desired effect, because people have developed habits. Habits involving opening their browser in specific arrangements of tabs and going to their usual general thread.
(I'm guilty of this too since I like to visit /a/'s DJT threads, and look for some, usually recurring, threads about anime series I'm watching)

So they won't accept being forced to change the way they use 4chan without a fight.

But this might be an opportunity for us to embrace trying something different altogether. Maybe some kind of hybrid posting format where each thread has 2 different places you can post to. One would be intended to be slower, not allow quoting any posts other than the OP, so it would be very on topic and would be where people could contribute most of their meaningful content.
Then the other one would be for faster and more chaotic posting. So it would be like you have both a forum style and a chatroom style all in one.

You would need to have stricter moderation on the first one (and the mods would need to get their shit together and be consistent) to prevent abuse, and then you would have very lax moderation on the second one.
>>
>>539460
>I have already finished puberty
Okay, so you're mentally retarded. How unfortunate.
>>
>>539389
A general, like a normal thread, has an experation date. A general is almost always very nice at the start but with weeks, months and holy fuck years you will degrade into a very sad and forced rythm and way too much offtopic.
>>
>>539435
Sorry, should have clarified, /dat/ is containment *for* shitposting. The other two are containment.
>>
>>539633
I'm not mentally retarded, though. You are. You think that anybody who disagrees with you must have something wrong with them. That's just not the case. You're the one with something wrong with you that makes you unable to perceive of a human being that just doesn't behave and think just like you. Which is sad because you're constantly surrounded by them at all times, because you're a retarded social outcast.

Wake up. You're in a coma.
>>
>>539389
>Why do people hate generals so much?
they always outlive their usefulness
usually how it starts is something becomes popular enough that there is always a thread up on the catalog and someone decides to make it a general

it usually goes great for the first few months, but then something happens
a circlejerk develops, it becomes an in-crowd that shuns everyone else from that board
they get their own wiki, FAQ, IRC, and it becomes about who's making the posts
they check with each other to see who made a post before replying to it

then, ultimately it hits cancer levels
X edition
first for X
the thread becomes more about discussing the people in the thread than actually discussing the topic
they do this to argue the general is necessary, because if there are still posts, they can still have a thread, and janitors and mods won't go in to check if it's actual content

you can see this in any of the /vg/ generals or in the former /g/ desktop threads, it was all about who was posting, everyone had a known identity and outliers were told to fuck off or kill themselves

so the answer is that they are usually unneeded beyond a certain point and they create a small secret club inside of a board that is determined to not co-mingle with the rest of the board
>>
File: >general.png (20 KB, 596x892) Image search: [Google]
>general.png
20 KB, 596x892
>>539389
Because generals don't belong on 4chan and their concept is something that goes against 4chan itself in order to function and survive. They are cancer.
>>
>>539765
On the left is reddit, while on the right is 4chan. Stay mad.
>>
>>540134
If it was then you'd see another person on the side holding a gun on them all forcing them to behave, and they'd all just be pointlessly regurgitating stuff they know everyone already knows.
>>
>>540142
>what are 4chan mods
>>
>>540143
Redditors.
>>
>>539720
>no u
Grow up you insufferable faggot.
>>
>>540143
mods don't do shit half the time
look around /qa/
mods are constantly not doing anything about off-topic posting, spam, rule breaking while they all sit in their own generals and delete or ban the first person who says something they don't like
and everyone's bitching about it constantly

generals look a lot closer to reddit to me bruh
>>
File: 15401837_p21.jpg (191 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
15401837_p21.jpg
191 KB, 800x800
There are websites for mundane chats between people who know each other.
There is no reason for a website built and designed around A should adapt for B because assholes are not not satisfied with the 96% of the internet already being B.
If there is nothing to say about something the thread should die until there is again something about the subject to discuss.
>>
>>539389
here's the problem:
instead of generals, chans should have separate boards for topics with enough traffic
clogging up one thread makes little sense
>>
>>540134
Reddit and generals are both a variation of the right, mate.
>>
>>539389
Because autists hate change

Threads can't hold on their own anymore
>>
>>540347
You first, crybaby.
>>
>>541447
>Because autists hate change
>calling anyone against generals autists
Does someone understand the meaning of irony?
>>
>why do people hate generals
Because they came too late on those and are literally nobodies.

Delete this thread.
>>
File: Spidey and generals.png (73 KB, 1537x397) Image search: [Google]
Spidey and generals.png
73 KB, 1537x397
They go against the whole mentality of an imageboard; short threads where people can discuss whatever, then move on with their lives after the thread reaches its limit and is pushed off the board/deleted, in favor of a constantly recurring thread that eventually devolves into a circlejerk and image dump when the topic source runs dry (quite a few /vg/ generals are prime examples of this)
>>
File: generals are good.png (34 KB, 596x1100) Image search: [Google]
generals are good.png
34 KB, 596x1100
>>539765
Your picture is a shameless ripoff of the original. Please use the original, proper image.
>>
>>542190
>original, proper image
>shitty MS Paint humor
This is what meme magic does to people.
>>
I don't hate generals, but they are basically fucking pointless because nobody actually discusses really the topic in there, they are mostly just completely off topic chat rooms.

For example, Kpop generals or Idol generals, nobody in these threads EVER talks about music, they are just people talking about their day or whatever and sharing pictures of Kpop starts or baby metal or whatever.

The other problem is the communities that form around generals tend to be pretty fucking exclusionary, elitist and toxic.
>>
>>542190
You didn't even attempt to use the same font and size. Pathetic attempt.
>>
I like /domg/, /dfg/, and /rlg/
Those are all pretty good
>>
>>539568
Perhaps a custom boards section like on some other chans? At least it'd get all those trillion generals moved to their own shitty subreddits and stop them from clogging up the boards. It'd also make them resemble old 4chan a bit more since the format would promote making multiple threads instead of one giant circlejerk.
I honestly doubt going ban happy would help with generals. The cancer is in a far too advanced stage.
>>
I would suggest moderator-sanctioned general threads created by a bot program.
It's like drugs. If you really can't fight them, at least keep them contained.
>>
>>544130
This is not a simple problem to solve.

After all these years we should know by now that quarantines always leave more side effects than you were hoping for in the long run.
The main issue there is not everyone will acknowledge it as a "quarantine" in the first place. That includes mods, and especially as time goes on and people forget things, they'll just be a normal part of 4chan.

The negative side effects of that are things like topics which are covered in a general being banned on the normal boards because they'll say there's already a place for it. So if you don't like generals then you'd better cross your fingers they don't make an official one for something you enjoy talking about normally.

I'm sure there's lots of other side effects as well.
>>
>>544149
To make it very undesirable for people to post in generals, have the first 50 or so posts of the bot-created general be a long list of links, the same notorious images, a reminder of rules how to behave and what content must be posted, and enforced tripcode use for the first three months.
That way, only the most tenacious users will keep coming and doing useless posts. This should bore most users away, and then the mods can look at what good content the tripcode users produced and ban the ones who did nothing but erp or unoriginal meme reposting.
Make it obvious to anyone that it's meant to be a ghetto.
By making the bot-created general thread toxic to everyone, it should cause people to seek out other fields of interests instead of hanging around all the time in an environment that is clearly meant to frustrate and annoy them, while simultaneously denying them the right to create their own general threads, because one already exists.
After a few more months, when interest for the offending topic has died down, the bot can then be deactivated.
>>
>>544149
>I'm sure there's lots of other side effects as well.
"Containment" just means create a petri-dish and watch it grow. People who talk about containing things have no fucking idea what they are on about, because, they don't even understand what doing it means.
>>
>>544167
Why jump through all those fucking hoops instead of just banning generals in the first place?
>>
>>544227
It is some bizzare thought process people have these days that it is somehow easier to just hide your problems away from you, even if the problem stays infront of you forever and only grows stronger (read filters, hide and generals). It's also because idiots for some reason believe 4chan should cater to everyone and every topic.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.