[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people on the internet actually used to talk like this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: tub.jpg (84 KB, 675x851) Image search: [Google]
tub.jpg
84 KB, 675x851
>people on the internet actually used to talk like this
>>
she is pissed off
>>
>>537885
They still do. Minus the "loled"
>>
>>537885
Those were better days. To be perfectly honest, typing in well thought up complete sentences with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation seems to have only caused the average 4chan user to take themselves much more seriously and much less fun.
>>
They sound like redditors desu.
>>
File: I R O N I C A L L Y.png (269 KB, 1020x570) Image search: [Google]
I R O N I C A L L Y.png
269 KB, 1020x570
>>537885

I miss those times.
If you typed half the shit in that image now you'd get so much butthurt and ironic shitposting directed at you for no reason.

That's why good content is so few and far between now.
>>
File: 1343158761159.png (96 KB, 896x411) Image search: [Google]
1343158761159.png
96 KB, 896x411
Old 4chan was a very silly, jovial place. A little tiny bit like [s4s] only with 1000x more variety / wider range than that board.

Shit went downhill once chanology, various raids and rickrolling brought in the public who thought the point of this site was edgy hacktivism and "lol trolling! memes!!!".
>>
>>537888
>>537891
Fucking these

>>537889
People always make fun of it today, but you only think that way because for years now we've had new generations growing up in this environment where we have to watch what we say online. I mean it's always been that way for specific things but not anywhere near the degree it is now.

The whole internet was just more nerdy, you never had to worry about true normalfags.
If someone talked about normalfag shit like how he has a 10/10 gf and a huge cock, everyone pretty much knew without a doubt that he was some scrawny nerd who's probably never even touched a girl, so people just wouldn't get annoyed at it.

There was also site rivalry but it was between other communities of pretty much the same demographic. Today it really feels like we're fighting off people from the real world. Not just some other digital haven.
>>
>>537901
>explaining 4chan used to be a bunch of nerdy loser types
>newfag modern 4chan user normalfag takes it as a personal insult that im calling him nerdy and a loser because hes one of those types that pretends his board channels old /b/ and /b/ was always the way his board currently is and pretends hes an oldfag because he read a few ed articles and takes them at face value
>>
File: 1457598924219.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1457598924219.gif
3 MB, 200x200
>>537927
>mfw there are many normalfags that actually take ED and KnowYourMeme seriously and take their ques on how to act here from it

The future outlook for 4chan would improve by light years if those sites went down.
>>
>>537890
/s4s/ is still like this.
>>
>>537942
But there's no content. It's like if you took out the ironic meming out of /b/, put it in an isolated board with no content except memes, and added some metamememasters roleplaying as /b/tards from when they remember when /b/ was good, and the memes just become memetic mutations of other memes with no other purpose but to beget more memes for the sake of memery.
>>
>>537945
True to some extent. That's why I also try to have serious discussion on /s4s/ from time to time. Sometimes it works.
>>
>>537885
We were teenagers and didn't take ourselves far too seriously, because we knew the rest of the world didn't give a fuck about our lives. It's the complete inverse today: kids embrace the whole 'the political is personal' mindset and thrust their ego into ideologies with full fucking gusto, taking everything hyper personally and all the while mainstream society not only takes them seriously but actively endorses them to behave in such a manner.

Why? These kids and young adults are basically socio-political pawns for interests groups who never had reach in the cyberworld outside of fringe groups and now they can inject themselves via astroturfing and blatant mass advertising on huge social media platforms and these people who take their socio-politically ego-identity seriously, almost to the point of narcissism, actually think that the wider mainstream society cares what they think due to the clever machinations of these giant interest groups.

Compare 2000~2005 to the current day. Our biggest ego elevating platforms were pretty much sites like myspace and facebook, the former of which was pretty much politically neutral and mostly kids attempting to create an online persona as an extension of their msn profile, then you have the latter which was vastly different than it is today and didn't have remotely the same install base and corporate interest.

In 2005, a personal opinion on a personal blog would never make it to the national news as a legitimate talking point. Now it isn't uncommon for Twitter posts to end up broadcast around the world. Basically, the Internet these days is an entirely different domain with an entirely different breed of users.
>>
>>537962

4chan seemed a lot less political as a whole in those days, really (beyond the whole 'lol bush is a monkey'-type thing) and you had to generally go to specialized forums to get your steaming hot political takes (democratic underground et al). Now everything is political: where you post, what you post, how you posted, it's all part of some odd game which can get you called out and harassed on the thinnest of grounds (although tumblr seems to have gotten a little wiser about this, and it's moved more to twitter).

Of course, back then we still had to deal with /n/, which was racist back then too but in an unfocused way beyond "black people got up to trouble, look" or "look at how all these black guys died".

Getting involved in 'chanology' and anonymous thinking it could be a force in politics was also pretty fucking dreadful and helped lead to a general decline in the site (although even before that time we must have posted that certain Mr. Moneybags/Uncle Scrooge image thousands of times).
>>
>>537982
Yeah. Sometimes I spend time lurking around /pol/ to try and get a grasp on how these anons operate and it seems almost like observing a cargo cult. It's like these normalfags completely misunderstood 4chan and in the mistranslation ended up worshipping something they thought we took personally instead of merely pointing out the inanity of the rat race and laughing/mocking the whole shebang.

A bit like that Simpsons episode that has a hypothetical situation where a few thousand years into the future there was a huge world war fought over the religion of Bart followers due to something discovered which had his image or something on it and people getting the idea that he was a god like figure from the past. Or maybe it was Futurama and Fry worshippers. Something like that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.