[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does replying with "sage" in the name field cause
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
Why does replying with "sage" in the name field cause an "Upload failed" error?

Is reddit trying to erase all history of 4chan culture?
>>
>>536553
what you once used to troll with on 4chan eventually comes around to troll you
>>
>>536553
>reddit

It's been like that since before reddit existed, newfag.
>>
>>536557
No it hasn't. I want to know when and why this implemented.
>>
That's been a thing ever since visible sage got removed I think.
>>
People used to sometimes go "sage goes in all fields" when sagebombing threads and apparently that really pissed off moot.

Sometimes I still want sage back but then remember most of 4chan outside /jp/ had no idea how to use it. The original concept was that your post wasn't worthy of bumping a thread to the front page, like you wanted to get a quick word in but didn't demand everyone look at it since you were talking only to one or two people. Basically it was for finishing up conversations or shitposting, only because you know you're shitposting you don't bump the thread to force it in everyone's face. I find it kind of endearing in that it directly represents a very Japanese line of thought (extreme politeness around strangers and trying not to stir up a community) that most other cultures worldwide completely missed/can't comprehend abroad when given the choice.

However once fucking leddit invaded 4chan around 2012 (/v/ was their bridge, never forget that) they saw it as a downvote, like "your thread is not worth being bumped". Some people thought if a thread got saged enough it was auto deleted (which was never true if I recall correctly) so it got spammy and negative, basically the inverse of (You).

In my opinion either (You) should go because fucking insect-brained reddit kids think it's an upvote, or sage should come back to counter (You) if it isn't removed. Like if someone replied to you but it was visible saged, it's no longer just " hurr he replied to me I'm getting attention!", it's "he saged me omg! Must samefag on my phone without sages to protect my honor!". It's better to let trolls and attention whore psychopaths get distracted and distraught bumping their shitposts than it is to let them openly just have free rein and let them walk away feeling like they " won" every time.
>>
>>536597
On that last paragraph, furthermore a visible sage was basically the only way to tell if a reply wasn't a samefag because why would you sage yourself if all you want to do is get attention. This is partially why trolls hated it so much because it was some tiny ounce of power that they couldn't control and that made it harder for them to shitpost so openly. Naturally moot drank the /q/ool aid, the whole gallon of it, and removed its visibility because he's a dumbass not realizing he was giving trolls more power. Why do you think places like /v/ never improved after sage was made invisible? Wasn't the move supposed to help quality? It fucking certainly did not.

Here is an idea - bring back visible sage but leave the filter-blocked elements in place so that people actually have to talk to each other to some degree to use it. As in a post just saying "fucking saged" is blocked because that's basically just le downboat spamming. But if you told someone off and saged at least let that show up.
>>
>>536553
sage goes in all fields except the name field.
>>
File: 1436975487703.jpg (35 KB, 704x476) Image search: [Google]
1436975487703.jpg
35 KB, 704x476
>>536606
This.
Please bring visible sage back or >>536597
>(You) should go
>>
>>536606
>Visible sage
>samefag/attention whore/troll instant counter
Love that idea, one could get rid of ids and flags on /pol/ and /int/ and even help the boards to fight of the 9fag teen cancer and prevent it from spreading to other boards.

>filter-blocked elements
>Only justified saging
Again, I like the way you think, but don't believe it is necessary to have a software solution.
One just needs to adapt the "announcing sage" rule and enforce banning of sage shitposters.

But as >>536597 wrote, a saged thread isn't automaticaly deleted, and for everyone who knows to use the catalog, it isn't very important desui.
>>
>>536553
I miss the email field.
Most of the old "sage" related jokes don't even make sense any more due to lack of context no longer present in situ.
>>
>>536597
Sage is worthless with the advent of the catalog.

All threads get equal exposure regardless of bumps, bumping just keeps them alive
>>
>>536597
>sagebombing
>reddit
>2012
>i read ED and now im an oldfag revisionism
>>
File: Downvote+1.jpg (1 KB, 44x85) Image search: [Google]
Downvote+1.jpg
1 KB, 44x85
>>536553
It's ok pham you just gotta include an image next to your post
>>
>>536882
You shouldn't discount other effects it has.

I don't know how many times I've posted something intended as a joke and people took it seriously whereas with a visible sage they would have taken it less seriously.

"sage" comes from the Japanese word for lowering. But it's not the thread you're lowering, the idea is that it's your own post.
You're lowering the status of your own post to show humility.
Leave it to westerners to find that confusing and offensive. Like this guy >>536953

It was also often used to signal that your post isn't important enough for the whole board to see (maybe you just wanted to say "thanks" to someone, or answer a quick question in a thread on page 10 before it dies without bumping the whole darn thing back to page 1)

It's a very useful tool. Unfortunately some people are too small minded to see past their own butthurt at some people that abused this tool in one of their threads like 4 years ago, and they'll never be able to comprehend it as anything other than a bad thing that triggers them.
>>
>>536976
Even if sage was misused, it was misused for board self-moderation. Something sorely missing now.
>>
>>536882
Sage would still be useful to properly identify retards who bump shitty threads.
>>
File: SAGE.jpg (42 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
SAGE.jpg
42 KB, 500x334
SAGE
>>
>>536597
that started long before 2012
>>
>>536553
Because sage is not a downvote.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.