[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arc ads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: What the fuck is this.png (240 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck is this.png
240 KB, 1366x768
Can I just spend a minute to complain about the adverts in the archive (arc-ads)?
I had a little (three-day) panic over them thinking that I'd gotten adware from somewhere. I've currently got two anti-virus programs scanning my computer for malware.
Although the majority of the ads have been unobtrusive (apart from partly appearing under the OPs of archived threads; pic related), I really didn't appreciate being redirecterd multiple times to a site that looked like someone tried to recreate Ashley Madison in clipart.
I also don't like the look of the ads as they're square-like rectangles (or redirects) as opposed to the banner ads like J-list and 4chan's own ads.

Archived /qa/ threads on this topic:
>>533579
>>528441
>>528455
>>533607
>>
>go check where the ads are served from
>n298adserv.com
Yeah, no. Fuck this. Back when the ads were served from the 4chan-ads.org (or whatever it was) custom domain, I kept my ad blocker disabled because the ads were legitimately unobtrusive and relatively trustworthy since they were just plain image data. When that was scrapped in favor of some random 3rd party ad serving system, I re-enabled my blocker and never looked back.

This just reaffirms my decision. Seriously, everyone who whines about ADBLOCKERS ARE KILLING MUH CONTENT PROVIDERS can just go fuck themselves with a 3 foot thick cactus. At this day and age, running proper ad blocking software is a necessary security precaution, loading ads is an enormous security risk. Fuck, even Yahoo of all companies had a really bad case of malvertising some years back due to third party negligence, there's no way in hell I'm trusting any ad provider. I'm not gonna put my computer on the line so some internet media conglomerate bigshot can earn another $0.001 towards his third gold-plated Ferrari. If that's a morally or legally gray area then so be it, I'm putting my own personal safety ahead someone's pissant earnings any day of the week
>>
>>536421
Good post, saved for later use. This is a good example of a subject where I'm not skilled enough to write my own argument so I'll just use someone else's.
>>
>>536335
I also get popups, "free media players" and stuff. I had ads like your pic but no popups till today..
>>
File: What the fuck is this shit.png (181 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck is this shit.png
181 KB, 1366x768
>>536527
I can't say I ever got any pop-ups but I did get this just now.
That should teach me not to refresh an archived thread just to see what shit comes up in/on/with the ads.
I'm laughing on the outside but crying on the inside.
>>
>>536653
I feel you bro... I hope they will do something about it. Its annoying
>>
>>536653
>>536661
It's only gotten worse and worse. I think when Hiro took over he thought "Why the hell aren't we using normal ads?" and so he stuck this shit in. That's probably why Moot could never make any money off 4chan. Because he didn't go for the spyware ads.
>>
>>536662
Probably you are right. So i guess its not going to leave soon.. I want Mootikins back
>>
>>536662
>>536747
Could leave feedback and take a gander at this guy's picture: >>535513
>>
>>536751
I dont think it will matter if money is their goal. Send a feedback anyway
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.