[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wondering something for a while. Why is it that,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Caesar1.png (349 KB, 512x724) Image search: [Google]
Caesar1.png
349 KB, 512x724
I've been wondering something for a while. Why is it that, to some people on this board, the use of the word "boogeyman" is seen as indication of being a newfag? I can't figure out any logic behind this claim, so it just sounds like a non-sequitur. Or perhaps you think only certain people could possibly use the word boogeyman? Which is a fallacy of its own.

More than anything, it seems to me that people don't like being told that the threat they believe in is not real, and so they will do anything to deny that fact.
>>
>>521675
You need to realize you can dismiss any argument by calling someone a newfag or a reddit, you newfag reddit.
>>
>>521686
Interesting, because generally whenever someone attempts that, people ignore that idiot and keep having a discussion.
>>
>>521687
gb2reddit newfag
>>
File: boogeyman.jpg (35 KB, 642x361) Image search: [Google]
boogeyman.jpg
35 KB, 642x361
Because they want to pretend that he's not coming to get them.
>>
>>521693
Aaaaaaaaaand the world keeps on spinning.
>>
Agreed, OP.
>>
Agreed, OP.
>>
Because only asshurt redditors/tumblrfags/9gaggers use it.
>>
>>523147
>No True Scotsman

Try again.
>>
Here's a list of buzzwords you can throw around to completly disrupt a poster's course.

>newfag
>reddit
>tumblr
>cuck
>memelord
(If a certain subject or concept annoys you you can call it a meme too !)
>>
>>523487
>There's anything wrong with not liking true Scotsmen
It's like nationalism.
4chan is shit in many ways, but I have pride for it.
>>
>>524192
No, the problem is thinking that "If this person doesn't do this, this, and this, they aren't a true Scotsman." Hence the fallacy. You try to control how people behave to suit your ideals when in actuality there are many people with many different opinions.
>>
>>521675
Because it doesn't matter how useful words are, if it wasn't written on 4chan before the year 2006 then you're not allowed to say it.

Other examples include:
Polychlorotrifluoroethylene
Ithyphallophobia
and
Flabulous

Together with "Boogeyman" these 4 words were never used even once on old 4chan and anyone caught using them should be immediately ousted as a newfag.
>>
>>524218
I know you're joking around but I guarantee you boogeyman was used on 4chan a lot even in the old days. But I'm not sure if there are any pre-2006 archives out there. Also now I want to use the word flabulous more often. It could probably describe Caesar in that pic.
>>
>>521675
I like that pic, look at literally any non white country and see how they treat the minorities, its only whites that treat others like humans
>>
It's hilarious when roll images utterly fail.
>>
https://foolz.fireden.net/v/thread/243209310/
>>
>>527758
This.
>>
Easiest way to know you've won an argument: Instead of addressing any of your points, the poster accuses you of being one of their boogeymen. A mod, a redditor, whatever.
>>
>>521675
>Why is it that, to some people on this board, the use of the word "boogeyman" is seen as indication of being a newfag?
It's to shut down opposition. Hiveminds need scapegoats/boogeyman as a means to deflect the failings of the emergent properties constituting said hivemind and in making light of this occurance, the individuals involved in the hivemind seek to lash out and defend the hivemind in the most effective way they understand: by creating boogeymen and scapegoats, of which calling someone anon a newfag, etc. in this context is basically the same means of projecting and then deflecting their own flaws.

It's the ultimate way to call someone a faggot and hope that it is enough to get the anon to stop responding to and making the anons feel uncomfortable. You know, hugbox mentality.

>>530361
"Winning" an argument online is boring as fuck. Actually having some form of discourse and potentially learning something, that's interesting.
>>
>>530375
But its 2k16 i need to debate and win M'lady

*tips le_fedora
>>
>>530375
I always learn things that inevitably lead me to victory.
>>
>>521675
Go back to Gaia OP
>>
>>531198
Go back to Gaia, Anonymous number 531198.
>>
People really will go to any lengths to avoid actually addressing the argument.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.