[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1462150448769.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
1462150448769.png
298 KB, 600x512
What exactly is a meme? I know it's not the captioned pictures so what is it?
>>
>>517720
A meme is a self-perpetuating idea.
>>
>>517720
A meme is the idea
Like foul bachelor frog
Each captioned picture isn't a meme, the concept of fbf is the meme
>>
>>517720
You mean besides being the worst terminology that ever happened to the internet?

I really think more than 50% of the people who spam memes don't even know what it means.
Giving inside jokes and trends a special name has inadvertently caused many people to treat them like something special and unique to the internet, putting them up on a pedestal.
>>
Here is a definition of what a meme is according to the Frequently Answered Questions site of 4chan.
>>What is a "meme"?
>A meme is basically an idea that is easily transferable from one mind to another. Think "catchphrases." Memes are created when a large group of users come to identify with a particular image or slogan. Their continued [mis]use will bring about the destruction of the universe.
The last part really worries me. I don't want the universe to be destroyed. I'm currently still living inside this universe, and I do have a fondness for living in general, so I would be quite distraught if the universe were to be destroyed just because many people used memes wrong.
>>
>>517836
the universe will be destroyed at some point anyway, it's inevitable.
>>
>>517838
Can't we stop entropy by stopping everyone from memeing incorrectly?
>>
>>517836
>Their continued [mis]use will bring about the destruction of the universe.
Holy shit was moot actually that smart? I gotta give him credit for that.

Being self-aware of memetic trends (especially as a proof of experience, and "having the in-knowledge") is the cause of all our problems in life.
>>
>>517841
you might be on to something there lad
>>
Well according to /tv/ everything is a meme.
>>
>>517873
So /tv/ is causing the destruction of the universe? Those madmen.
>>
>>517884
they're doing their best to unravel the fabric of reality
>>
Test
>>
File: richard-dawkins.jpg (92 KB, 380x400) Image search: [Google]
richard-dawkins.jpg
92 KB, 380x400
>>517720
Something invented by the king of fedoras
>>
>>517973
If I'd known his invention of the word "meme" was going to destroy the internet one day I never would have stopped believing in god.
>>
>>517975
It's too late now
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.