[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with the Jay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13
File: 1371697234906[1].png (177 KB, 505x505) Image search: [Google]
1371697234906[1].png
177 KB, 505x505
What's the deal with the Jay?
>>
Best userbase, worst moderation.
>>
>>516803
I miss when it was Japan General. It kind of felt just a little like the spirit of old /b/. Moderation really killed it, because Janny definitions of what is on topic are incomprehensible.
>>
>>516804
The definitions of what constitutes on-topic are a lot less incomprehensible than they used to be.
>>
>>516805
Nah, janny deletes whatever the fuck he feels like it. Also other mods dumping their unwanted trash on the jay, bringing crossboarders who never cared about the board's unwritten rules.

>>516804
It should've been named 2D or something, like Futaba.
>>
>>516805
You would think that if you post in the same threads as you always do. If you venture even slightly off-topic, or really, not one of the normal touhou, boats, vn, idol templates, there's a high chance your thread will get deleted. There are safe topics that are almost always safe, but it's stifling unless you only post in those threads.
>>
>>516804
You're saying that old /b/ talked about touhou and visual novels all the damn time?
>>
>>516816
No, I'm saying old /b/ knew how to have fun.
>>
>>516816
When /b/ just started people posted anime all the damn time actually. It was called fucking "Anime/Random" at first, too.
>>
I don't post on /jp/ but I wish them well. They keep to themselves and don't make trouble. Maybe I'm wrong but they don't seem like a bunch of pretentious faggots like certain other japanese related boards I won't mention.
>>
>>516819
Except touhou didn't exist back then, and VN was a lot more niche.
>>
>>516827
Actually it did, although I have no idea if anyone even on 4chan knew about it or not, I wasn't on 4chan back then.

But I don't think that was his point anyway.
Someone said A is like B, and you're taking it way too literally.
>>
>>516831
Sorry, touhou was not a thing back then. It existed, it just wasn't big.
>>
>>516840
I phrased that poorly, it sounds like I might be sarcastically disagreeing. I'm agreeing, and apologizing for my inaccuracy.
>>
File: what the hell meido.png (67 KB, 753x229) Image search: [Google]
what the hell meido.png
67 KB, 753x229
What the fucking hell?
>>
>>516847
Janny is on fire.
>>
File: happynegro_rei.jpg (104 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
happynegro_rei.jpg
104 KB, 500x500
>>516819
When /b/ just started it was a lot of stolen memes from Nijiura.
>>
>>516847
Top fucking kek.
>>
>>516858
...and deviantart
>>
File: kami3.jpg (102 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
kami3.jpg
102 KB, 634x356
>>516780
Who cares about modern /jp/?

/jp/ years ago was so good, moot had to kill it. It suffered one of the worst genocides ever seen of 4chan.

Ye good ol days.............
>>
what the HELL happened to /jp/?
>>
Why the fuck do they call it "the jay"?
>>
>>516989
Death by moot.
>>
>>517001
I'll give you 1 guess
>>
File: moot.png (10 KB, 697x100) Image search: [Google]
moot.png
10 KB, 697x100
>>517021
kek
I was just going through some screencaps and came across this. Thought it was pretty relevant.

This was after the 10th anniversary panel where moot said /jp/ was his favorite board just so all the cancer would go over there to check it out and spam it to hell with garbage threads.
>>
>>517112
It's funny, after all those years moot realized he made a mistake and apologized for fucking up /jp/, saying "/pol/ was the worst board".
>>
File: autism09.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
autism09.jpg
103 KB, 1280x720
>>516950
This, modern /jp/ and old /jp/ are completely different boards.
>>
What did moot do to kill /jp/? Send other boards to raid it or something? He did that for /r9k/ a couple times, at least.
>>
File: 1432550567699.jpg (807 KB, 1050x4959) Image search: [Google]
1432550567699.jpg
807 KB, 1050x4959
>>
>>517247
Moderation. I've never seen more anal moderation on all of 4chan than I've seen on /jp/.

That thing about telling others to go check it out from here >>517112 was just at the 10th anniversary panel, /jp/ was already changed by then.
>>
>>516780
Same deal with /sp/. Userbase wants fun, the mods and janitors don't want to let them have fun. Neither can ever be a good board unless there's consensus.

At least both are better than /a/, whose userbase can't even decide.
>>
>>517260
The other thing is that what is allowed and what isn't changes from janitor to janitor. So when a janitor gets replaced, suddenly there's new unwritten rules about what is okay and what is not. And these unwritten rules are not about what is banned, but what is allowed.
>>
>>516805
Literally Otaku Culture. If you don't even know what Otaku means then please lurk moar.
>>
>>516950
>/jp/ years ago was so good,
No it was not, stop pretending an enless wave of LMAO IMMA NEET XXD blogshit was good.
>>
/jp/ gave me a fetish for exclamation marks
>>
>>517348
So if at least two elevens are obsessed with something I can post it?
>>
>>517352
Stop pretending anyone else thinks "good" on 4chan has anything to do with objective standards.
>>
>>517247
moot was eternally asshurt that /jp/ wasn't the japan wankfest he wanted it to be

Now mods have basically turned it into /vg/ - /a/ edition
>>
>>517494
You need seven of them.
>>
>>517613
/jp/ was (justifiably) the board that hated moot the most.
>>
>>516804
Don't forget some /jp/ created slang and memes that started being used on the rest of 4chan.
>>
>>517112
>This was after the 10th anniversary panel where moot said /jp/ was his favorite board just so all the cancer would go over there to check it out and spam it to hell with garbage threads.

I've seen people here saying that /jp/ was moots favourite board. Did they misunderstand moots attempt at fucking with /jp/, or what?
>>
>>517247
>What did moot do to kill /jp/?
Allowed shitposters to terrorize it for years, countered only by intermittent scorched-earth janitoring in the theory that shooting civilians will get rid of partisans. This never worked and never will (unless you're willing to kill 90% of them, in which case it does, and is kind of what happened).

This started in ~2010 and ended a few years back when the most militant shitposters left, possibly because of improvements to the ban system.

>>517636
Why do people keep fabricating this shit? If moot hated /jp/ it's only because it was one of his favorite boards and he let it go entirely to shit. Remember when he went out of his way to make a pilgrimage to a certain /jp/ thread, which shitposters ruined entirely? No? Fuck off.

>>517352
NEET threads were good back when they showed up every few days and weren't full of ironic retards. So like, for a year or two before it all went to shit.
>>
>>517684
>left, possibly because of improvements to the ban system.
Definitely not.
You can't ban someone who wants to post. Anyone who leaves does it because they got bored.
>>
>>517689
Or died, this is /jp/ we're talking about.
>>
>>516813
What irritates me most about current moderation is that they treat the userbase like children who need to have rules enforced on them. We're all adults here, nobody's going to die because a thread went on a tangent once or twice. Ideally the board would be self-moderated in these lesser regards and the janitor would only step in after these efforts failed.

Too bad self-moderation is dead even as a concept because if you try to self-moderate anything they'll find an excuse to ban you. (To those of you apologists out there; even if they don't do it every time, go look up what a "chilling effect" is, because it defines the entire history of modern /jp/.)

Whatever you think about the previous janitors, they didn't feel the need to enforce off-topic with such zeal, or BR people for having the wrong opinions about 4chan, the rules, or /jp/. In fact, they got in the trenches and argued it out with the rest of us. The current janitors don't do that. They simply enforce "policy" and ignore the screaming rabble. Those of you fuckwits who railed against biased discretion and "board shaping" back in the day should study carefully what kind of rewards you've reaped.
>>
>>517689
You can make it annoying and/or frustrating enough to post that it's no longer its own reward. I think it was around that time that a couple of our friends mentioned they'd started getting range banned.

Although it's probably more relevant that the shitpost coordination flagship went down around that time as well.
>>
>>517698
>rangebans
Keit-Ai finds a way.
>>
>>517696
Self moderation on 4chan in general is dead, because people will just yell cuck and reddit at you.
>>
File: 1452174922217.png (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452174922217.png
91 KB, 500x500
>>516803
>>516809
This. The moderation over there is the worst shit I've ever seen.
>>
>>517696
>We're all adults here
literally untrue, there is a huge segment of 4chan that's under 18
source: /b/
>>
>>517788
This thread isn't about /b/.
>>
>>517789
i'm just sayin, you think you're dealing with adults here? not likely
>>
>>517792
Fine, we're all pretending to be adults here and should be treated as such unless it's made obvious otherwise.
>>
>>517786
I stopped browsing /jp/ because I used to do it at late night and these kept giving me nightmares. BAN THEM
>>
File: 1456059740672.jpg (465 KB, 1280x847) Image search: [Google]
1456059740672.jpg
465 KB, 1280x847
>>517807
But Marisa is cute.
>>
>>517799
i don't think the mods even treat the userbase like children, but they definitely treat people the way they ask to be treated. even if people don't realize that they're asking for it.
>>
>>517684
>Why do people keep fabricating this shit?
So when exactly did moot start to like /jp/? Because he certainly didn't like it from the beginning. Keep in mind that he created it as the trash can of /a/. All the crap he didn't want in /a/ he sent off to /jp/.
>>
>>518011
You might as well claim that moot doesn't like /m/ because /m/ was split off of /a/ once upon a time.

The stuff he really thought was trash (hotglue, ronery) he tried to send nowhere at all.
>>
>>518014
I'm just wondering why people say that /jp/ was one of moots favorite boards. When did he say that?

Maybe you misunderstood him, see this post:
>>517112
>>
>>516780
Jay Garrick?
>>
>>518019
The post >>517112 was written by an idiot who thought that moot said it for the sole purpose of destroying /jp/.
>>
File: 1380532504937.jpg (233 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1380532504937.jpg
233 KB, 700x394
>>518019
Of course, he was being facetious when he said it
>>
>>518021
That was his purpose. Did you even watch the 10th anniversary panel?

When they asked him what his favorite board was he was going to say something else and then basically said "You know what, it's /jp/, in fact everyone should go check out /jp/ right now"

Also, the point of what moot said in this screencap >>517112 is that it was "truly sad" that /jp/ was back to normal so soon after his prank.
Was he joking? Who knows.

I don't think any of it was really hostile, it was just a more or less harmless prank really.
But I also don't see how you could possibly come to the conclusion that /jp/ was his favorite board from any of that.

In fact, he said it was /a/ during his farewell stream.
>>
>>518033
People on /jp/ didn't like moot in the past, that's how I remember it. Usually all the weebs would kiss his ass, but not /jp/. So I think that moots hostility might have been real.
>>
>>518033
>That was his purpose. Did you even watch the 10th anniversary panel?
Yes. I also followed the threads, which were garbage. It was banter.

>Also, the point of what moot said in this screencap >>517112 is that it was "truly sad" that /jp/ was back to normal so soon after his prank.
The sad thing there is that /jp/ interpreted moot's antics as pure hostility and an attempt to destroy the board, too full of puffed-up shitposter venom to think in terms of anything other than victory or defeat in their endless war on the staff.

>But I also don't see how you could possibly come to the conclusion that /jp/ was his favorite board from any of that.
That alone's not enough, and in fact, it's not his "favorite board", but it was a board he liked for a while. See >>517684.
>>
moot's reign was full of mistakes. I wonder if Hiro's is gonna be any worse.
>>
What's with the recent interest in /jp/ in the last two years? Is it that everyone who grew up out of every other board (i.e. bad boards) finally realised that /jp/ influenced the whole site and still does to this day and they want to try and understand ``it"? As if so, you're about half a decade late to the party, neo-/jp/ was the last itteration that was enjoyable, neo-neo-/jp/ was pure funposting the aftermat is still being seen, neo-neo-neo-/jp/ is just /a/v/ at this point, I doubt many who post there even remember visible sage or what "greentexting" was originally used for. At this point it would be better if it was deleted or changed to 2D/Random like it should have been years ago. The last time ``the Jay" was relevant was in 2013 (maybe early 2014) as all the funposters moved to /s4s/ and brought some stale memes with them (which would sustain that board). The only thing I dislike is how those same funposters made irony big on the rest of this facebook of an imageboard making neuros and /a/b/v/'s think it was cool or "original".
>>
>>518827
>/jp/ influenced the whole site and still does to this day
No way dude. /jp/ might as well not exist, that's how obscure and irrelevant it is. They keep to themselves, they don't influence anything.
>>
>>519004
like zionists, they did so from the shadows
>>
Too many fucking generals.
Sadly that's the state of nearly every board these days.
>>
>>519004
Irony is the first sign of fgtry, especially when it's done to make someone "mad".
>>
File: UNIVERSE.png (749 KB, 1434x1050) Image search: [Google]
UNIVERSE.png
749 KB, 1434x1050
RIP /jp/ 2007-2014
>>
>>516803
>Best userbase, worst moderation.
This, I've seen some people get banned for stuff, then another person does the same thing and nothing happens
>>
>>519570
>/jp/
>/2007
I'm quoting you.
>>
>>519592
>he joined in 2008
lmao
>>
File: In memory of Japanese bird.jpg (4 KB, 140x157) Image search: [Google]
In memory of Japanese bird.jpg
4 KB, 140x157
>>516804
I really miss Japan/General-era /jp/ desu. It was so much fun until the meido started to get a stick up her cunt and banned neetposting, memes and anything resembling fun.
>>517260
I remember there was a fair bit about /jp/ in the janny logs, 8/jp/ had a field day sperging over that shit.
>>518827
>The last time ``the Jay" was relevant was in 2013 (maybe early 2014) as all the funposters moved to /s4s/ and brought some stale memes with them (which would sustain that board).
I guess that explains why I like [s4s] lmao
>>
File: desu.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
desu.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>518827
>what "greentexting" was originally used for
I will allow myself to use the newfag card and ask, what was it originally for? I remember mailto:sage, later replaced by ID:Heaven on /b/, but I'm not really sure about greentexting. Wasn't it for greentext stories? The only other guess I have is quoting, coming from email and usenet.
>>
>>519755
>The only other guess I have is quoting, coming from email and usenet.

It was this.
>>
I'm currently sitting out a 3-day ban (static IP) for yelling at the mods in a /v/ thread moved to /jp/ so I'm enjoying this thread.
>>
moot hated it because its old users didn't give a flying fuck about japan, and somehow they invented modern shitposting

so it had to go RIP
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.