[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does it feel to know that 4chan has been going mainstream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: reddit.png (12 KB, 1401x389) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
12 KB, 1401x389
How does it feel to know that 4chan has been going mainstream for years now?
Do you dislike it? Do you like the "secret club mentality"?

How much do you think the popularity of 4chan affected it's quality?
>>
>>516216
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY
>>
>>516216
I dislike it. Normies and internet refugees come and bring their problems here. I liked it when 4chan was full of absurdism, and anonymous had it's own unique identity, rather than being a collection of fringe contrarian ideologies, and you were expected to lurk some before posting. It turns out the ocean of piss wasn't as big as previously thought.
>>
>>516224
Don't use the word "normies" if you expect people to believe you aren't part of the problem. It is and was always called "normalfag", "normies" is just a word actual normalfags use because it sounds less offensive.
>>
>>516273
If you use either world unironically you should jump off a bridge
Speical snowflake cunts
>>
>>516273
I only get 2nd hand memes because I stopped browsing the meme boards a long time ago, and the only memes I get is shit that leaks onto other boards like frogposting.
>>
File: pol.png (12 KB, 973x421) Image search: [Google]
pol.png
12 KB, 973x421
It's pretty crazy to see how much 4chan gets mentionned on reddit on absolutely unrelated subjects and popular subreddits.

This one is from /r/europe, the OP was from/r/worldnews
>>
I got here in 2010 so I'm probably included in the group of people that you would consider the cancer killing 4chan. In this sense I also never really experienced this place as a secret club. It was pretty well-known even when I first started coming here. So, I can't comment on the change in quality from the beginning of this site's existence until now, but in the 6 years I've been here, it doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot. Maybe that's a testamen to newfags killing 4chan. I couldn't say. All I know is that I still get something from this site that I can't get anywhere else, and that's what keeps me coming back.
>>
It's pretty sad. 4chan lost its charm thanks to underages talking about 4chan everywhere on the internet.
I don't know about other anons, but I simply lost the pleasure on creating OCs because I know that some filthy redditor scum will steal it.
If it affected it's quality? Of course. A decade ago, I could create a, for example, zoophilia dump thread and it would get many replies. Same thing with other fucked up fetishes, raids, racism, etc. Call me edgy if you want, but that's the truth.
The "not a secret club" fags are completely retarded. They seem to have no fucking brain. What's the goods on inviting every kind of normalfag to here? Exactly, none! Do you really think pic related belongs to chans?
I don't know, maybe I'm just being nostalgic. 4chan was really never a super-secret-NASA site, but it was less known. I just want to go back to 2006...
>>
I like it. I hate all the other chans and I think the reason I hate them is because they're so small.
Imageboard with small userbase = shit.
>>
>>516534
I've noticed people take themselves and 4chan far too seriously now. Maybe that's a symptom of hacktivism and chanology. Maybe it's a symptom of internet refugees who got banned from reddit thinking their cancer is acceptable here because asshole of the internet. There's much less of the self-deprecation there use to be, anything self-deprecating is usually expecting pity and hugbox/echobox replies. Many posters come here and have a huge persecution/victim complex and can't abandon their ego posting as anon. What happened to the 4chan that would jump on one of it's own?

On one board, someone asked asked to be redpilled about a certain product, posting an unrelated trump propaganda image, and mentioned not looking on Amazon. He was mocked for being a stupid. Because he couldn't google this shit, just like he couldn't google about Trump, he was too lazy to check Amazon, just like he was too lazy to check facts, and he legitimately thought coming to 4chan to get redpilled and getting spoonfed real answers and being coddled, was his primary way of gathering information. On old 4chan this, and a link to google would have been perfectly acceptable. Instead, he defended his idiocy with meme logic and claimed his was triggering leftists, and seemed completely unaware he was being mocked.

On another board, someone posted how their girlfriend sold a valuable possession at a garage sale for $10. He retconned his story from telling her to sort things in the garage to claiming he pre-sorted the stuff and told her not to touch it. On old 4chan, people would have been memeing about trusting his girlfriend, and laughing at is misfortune and stupidity. Instead, he and some others claimed everyone that called him stupid were cucks and white knights. With his and newfag victim complex, the only correct solution was to coddle the idiot and give him the pity he craved.

4chan lost it's chaotic, anarchist, absurdist, equal opportunity hate machine, shits and giggles spirit.
>>
>>516216
>Do you like the "secret club mentality"?
I like the secret club mentality.
>>
>>516739
I don't think it's lost, it's just buried under a mountain of faggotry.
>>
>>516216
It's not mainstream.
Reddit is not mainstream.

Do your freinds irl talk about 4chan GETS?
Do your freinds irl talk about Facebook memes?
Do your freinds irl talk about reddit karma?
You will find your answer.
>>
>>516749
If you have a needle buried under a haystack, it's lost.

Also, it seems especially after the swell in reactionary users after #gg, 4chan is no longer an equal opportunity hater. 4chan used to hate everything, for no good reason. How that hate is much more directly targeted and aligned with non-4chan ideologies, with new sacred cows, and much effort in justifying why it is okay to hate one thing and defending another. OC and new memes also reflect this. 4chan and memes are becoming a tool to push actual ideology.

4chan has also lost it's ability to remove cancer, probably because a large influx of new users, with the new posting mentality, never really lurked before posting, and started to far outnumber oldfags.

Old 4chan, everyone was a target, even anon, especially stupid anon, especially retarded anon that does something to get doxed. There was no real justification needed for anything because it wasn't about pushing a belief system and looking for agreement. The only consensus needed was if someone was a retard, or if someone was cancer.
>>
>>516754
No, but I had room mates that did, and one that displayed his faggy guy mask. To be perfectly honest, he wasn't even a nerdy loser social outcast, which used to be the primary demographic here. I understood after rooming with him why /b/ had gone to shit. I'm not saying he was an awful person, he just wasn't a nerdy loser social outcast.

My cousins talk about reddit and facebook memes though.
>>
>>516754
>your freinds irl
Do you really think people on this site would be able to answer those questions?
>>
>>516216
I liked the secret club mentality before the idea was co-opted and eventually destroyed by retards championing stupid tribal shit. Secret clubs are a means to an end. There's no point in having one just to have one unless you're a sad faggot in search for exclusivity.

>>516739
>What happened to the 4chan that would jump on one of it's own?
4chan started blaming everything bad in the world on "outsiders" and the status game began to revolve entirely around how you thoroughly could supposedly prove that your adversary came from somewhere else. It was pathetic then and it's still pathetic now.
>>
File: all is one, and one is all.png (101 KB, 873x408) Image search: [Google]
all is one, and one is all.png
101 KB, 873x408
>>
>>516765
>If you have a needle buried under a haystack, it's lost.
Hay burns well and quick, the needle will survive it with a little cleaning.
>>
File: 1435387606825.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1435387606825.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>516784
You can't clean it though. The new culture is too ingrained and will be perpetuated by every newfag coming in, unless they know better which most don't. There's no going back.
>>
>>516777
There are plenty of people on this site with social hobbies. /tg/ hobbies, for example, for the most part require social interaction unless you exclusively play online.

I'd just rather that 4chan things stayed on 4chan and didn't creep into real life. I have a friend in my D&D group who mostly browses Reddit and who also apparently discovered Baneposting recently. You can guess how I became aware of this.
>>
Sets my teeth on edge tbqh famalam.

By the way please go back to the site you came from
>>
I've never really cared about how popular or mainstream the site is, its all the same shit.
>>
>>516216
>kys
Remember to call out anyone who uses that as an underage nigger.
>>
File: 1456948205738.png (571 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
1456948205738.png
571 KB, 800x640
>>516216
I started playing World of Warcraft in 2005 when I was ~15 years old. I discovered 4chan that very same year because all the other ~15 years old on my server constantly talked about how funny /b/ is.
>>
>>517529
It was still somewhat of a secret club because most people would go to the site, see goatse and never come back.
>>
>>517524
kys you underage nigger.
>>
>>516216

>How does it feel to know that 4chan has been going mainstream for years now? Do you dislike it? Do you like the "secret club mentality"?

The 'secret club' mentality was always stupid, Tbqh I like seeing others try to explain and make sense of 4chan, but think it's cringy as fuck when people act like 4channers outside the site. You can always tell if a comment on an article or something on the Web was written by an anon. OTOH, the fact this board's reputation is as toxic now as it was ten years ago means it's kinda gone from a 'secret club' to 'unspoken' club, where lots of people browse and post here, but only absolute retards will talk about it publicly.

>How much do you think the popularity of 4chan affected it's quality?

A bit, /soc/ and sometimes even /b/ are now filled with normalfags, but not that much.

Much more than increased popularity, I think the aging of 4chan has had a much more detrimental effect on the quality of this site. People complain about underage b&'s ruining the site, but this doesn't make any fucking sense since early 4chan would've had proportionally even more underage posters than now, including this site's founder. And this place has always been going through an influx of new users who piss of the oldfags. Teenage newfags have always existed. What didn't exist until the last few years was a lot of users who started posting as teenagers grew up to become young adults in their 20's and beyond. Anons will now regularly talk about their jobs, relationships, and other normalfag shit that wasn't talked about nearly as much before. Some are married and a few talk about having children, and they're probably not all bullshitting. And with aging came anons starting to take themselves seriously, as >>516739
mentioned. This place started changing from being a bunch of dumb teenagers doing some afterschool shitposting to dumb adults who use this place to vent about and escape the drudgery and disappointment of their regular lives.
>>
>>517740
Nah, most people who saw Goatse for the first time saw it outside of 4chan. I saw it because I used to go to an AIM chatroom and this guy I knew linked a "What character are you" where the answer was always Goatse. I knew OF it before that though because Goatse, Tubgirl and... Lemonparty I think? Were like this legendary trinity on GameFAQs. GameFAQs' LUE board was basically the original 4chan, except with a very small community that you had to be part of a special group to really be a part of, so like SomethingAwful but worse.
>>
>>518241

Unfortunately, despite being adults and taking this shit seriously, they were no less retarded, so you end up with shit like the Minneapolis BLM debacle, which got a bunch of /k/ommandos, all in their early or mid 20's, arrested for being retards (and IIRC, an anon who'd gone to the demonstrations one of the evenings before was a 32 year-old Marine veteran, allegedly.)

And this shit will only get worse with time, unfortunately. M00t is approaching 30 at this point, many of the true oldfags will actually become old soon, and real life will get dragged onto this site more and more. The only upside to this has been and will be that some anons will have interesting stories to tell, but they're actually true or mostly true, rather than edgy tall tales.
>>
>>516216
>How does it feel to know that 4chan has been going mainstream for years now?
It sucks. I never did like people talking about 4chan because it seemed extremely cringy reading what they had to say about it. Not only that but knowing that you have all these retards coming here for memes or just shitposting for fun ruined literally all the big boards.

Do you like the "secret club mentality"?
The more I use this site the more I wish this mentality was at least accepted. Sure, it's kinda dumb but it at least tries to keep some of the dumb faggots away. Having more normalfags here ruins it.

>How much do you think the popularity of 4chan affected it's quality?
I came during 2010 and I can remember the great discussions that people had on /b/ and other boards,(Of course I was 13 at the time so maybe nostalgia clouds my memory) but now it seems like people can't even make more than 3 sentences in a discussion. I don't know what happening to them but I miss lurking and reading anons arguing and talking about everything.

It also seems like nobody has that much fun anymore or creates things compared to like 5-6 years ago. I guess no one wants to have their jokes spread around and get ruined.
>>
>>518256
It's all a matter of the boards you browse. And smaller IB/BBSs are nice too.
>>
>>518241
>The 'secret club' mentality was always stupid
>but think it's cringy as fuck when people act like 4channers outside the site
Why are you contradicting yourself?

>A bit, /soc/ and sometimes even /b/ are now filled with normalfags, but not that much.
I think you fail to understand 4chan's original demographic 10 years ago.

>This place started changing from being a bunch of dumb teenagers doing some afterschool shitposting to dumb adults who use this place to vent about and escape the drudgery and disappointment of their regular lives.
The problem is you're implying they're oldfags that grew up. This clearly isn't the case if you simply look at the change in population now and then. The vast majority of users aren't oldfags, and that's assuming every oldfag didn't leave. What it leaves you with is a lot of newfags, adult or underage, who think 4chan is a place to shitpost, an edgy as fuck website, and whine about shit that would get them banned anywhere else.

If you post as anonymous, you don't needlessly bring in your real life into it. You don't whine about your girlfriend. You don't burger flipper and McDonald's AMAs, you don't trade dickpics.

4chan should be an immature place. What makes underage b&s cancer is that they're newfags, and entitlement combined with a lack of lurk before you post culture makes newfaggotry anathema.
>>
>>518247
But going to 4chan is willfully submitting yourself to goatse, not getting tricked into seeing it. You get tricked into seeing duckroll on 4chan.

>>518256
/b/ was already shit in 2010, although obviously it has gotten worse, because moot kept deciding that /b/ couldn't be saved, and gets removing parts of /b/ and giving them their own little reservation subboards to protect 4chan herritage and culture.
>>
File: cutecat.jpg (16 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
cutecat.jpg
16 KB, 400x300
I wonder if the mods know how to handle this website, I sure as hell wouldn't. With at least two mayor happenings happening to this site every year that fuck shit up not including happenings on other websites that cause an influx of butthurt new users

I think the situation is out of anyone's control at this point, the userbase and the image of 4chan has changed and is continuing to change, we can only make the best out of it
>>
>>518147
Fuck off underage nigger.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.