[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ar/ - Retro Anime or /as/ - Seasonal Anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 21
File: 1461261028233.png (577 KB, 627x478) Image search: [Google]
1461261028233.png
577 KB, 627x478
Discussing older anime series, films, and OVAs is very difficult on /a/ and often not appropriate for /m/. It's not that there isn't a large enough fanbase for these shows, it's that /a/ is geared more towards currently airing series, long-running generals, and "the usual", NGE, Haruhi, etc. There's plenty you could say about a series like Urusei Yatsura, for example, but the thread would easily lose steam on a fast board like /a/ and end up getting pruned.

So, two suggestions, either a separate board for airing shows, greatly reducing the posting speed on /a/ and making it possible for older and more obscure series to be discussed, or simply a board for anime that fits a certain age criteria, like /vr/ has accomplished.

What do you think?
>>
Rather just have a board for /a/ generals. Both so that people move the existing generals there and so that people stop turning my Hunter x Hunter threads into Hunter x Hunter generals.
>>
>watching anime
>>
/a/nons have explained before in vivid detail how /vg/ and /vr/ ruined /v/ by redirecting all game discussion into the other two (of which /vg/ is apparently extremely fucking circlejerky, and you sure know how circlejerky /a/ generals already are) and leaving /v/ to memes and online celebrities and no games. I don't frequent /v/ so I don't know first hand, but it does seem like that from a glance.
>>
File: 1451457828995.jpg (560 KB, 916x900) Image search: [Google]
1451457828995.jpg
560 KB, 916x900
>>508640
I'd say split /a/, which I have been wanting since 2007

>/a/ for Anime in general
>/asg/ "Seasonal Anime Generals" (for shit that's airing right now, and still is not fully released on BD/DVD)
>/ma/ for Manga

I personally think that /ar/ would suffer from the same problems /vr/ is going through.
>>
>>508640
This is actually a good idea.
>>
At any rate, /a/ is fast enough that we need to split it into something.
>>
File: awooo.png (210 KB, 405x597) Image search: [Google]
awooo.png
210 KB, 405x597
>>508651
Oh yeah, and Anime/Random back (/ab/) to keep meta-threads ("Best girls in their respective series" etc) out of discussion boards.
>>
All /a/ really needs is less people making threads which aren't actually about discussing an anime or manga like this one. >>>/a/140719856
>>
>>508658
>I sort of understand if someone said "this has too much moe in it"

No, he doesn't understand. Fucking shonenfags.
>>
>>508640
>>508651
Lurk more you absolute fucking retards.
>>
>>508688
The typical /a/ poster, everyone.
>>
>>508658
/a/ is the biggest pile of circlejerk garbage on 4chan.
The entire board needs to be purged of their "tradition" and built up from scratch.
Ban all the oldfags and let newfags rebuild it.
/a/ needs some gatbage collection.
>>
>>508694
>let newfags rebuild it.
They already have, we have no posting standards whatsoever in place and moderation has taken a huge dive since moot left.

>>508689
Care to say anything relevant or are you proclaiming your hate for /a/ loudly.
>>
File: bait beam.png (36 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bait beam.png
36 KB, 800x600
>>508694
Bait.
/a/ was literally the first board. /a/ = 4chan.
>>
Don't think we need both of them, adding one of them would be good for slowing down the speed of /a/. But 2 new boards would kill it.
>>
>>508703
Definitely, I wasn't advocating for two new boards, just giving two suggestions.
>>
>>508703
/a/ already slowed down enough, this is a fake problem. Thread can last even a bunch of days, if something falls down too fast is just for lack of interest,
>>
>>508697
>Care to say anything relevant

How about asking that to the person whose only statement was "Lurk more you absolute fucking retards."
>>
>>508717
How was that not relevant?
>>
>>508714
What would you say about making a separate manga thread?
>>
>>508720
How was it? It's like walking up to a group of people having a discussion and yelling "SUCK MY DICK!"
>>
>>508698
/a/ is the lowest quality board and everyone knows it.
Nothing new ever happens except waifu threads and "objectivly tell me why x is shit"
The only redeeming part of /a/ is /djt/
>>
>>508725
DJT is shit.
>>
>>508725
DJT belongs on /jp/. I don't know why the fuck it is posted on /a/.
>>
>>508724
That's not even remotely the same and you know it, but I'll bite.
Had they lurked, they would know why in fact this is a bad idea, that it was discussed many times in the past as well meaning that more boards are never the answer. But you wouldn't know that since you never lurked either, right?
Final reply.

>>508725
/djt/ is in the same state of every other general on the board, it belongs on /jp/.
>>
>>508734
>>508732
>>508729
If you aren't a dekinai, it's easily the best general.
Also the best sense of humour .
>>
>>508640
We also need a board to contain all the underage waifu talk.
>>
>>508640
N O
>>
split /a/ into /a1/ - shonen and /a2/ - shoujo
>>
>>508640
Fuck off. /a/ doesn't need to be split. The only thing /a/ needs is fucking generals banned. Lurk moar and go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>508640
I wouldn't be opposed to a second board which is meant for older anime and manga as well. Basically a board for the topics which aren't fast enough to survive on /a/, but which do have an audience wanting to talk about them.
>>
>>508640
It would be either dead or slow like /vr/ is.
>>
>>508640
Anime died in 2007
Space Dandy is the greatest show since evangelion

Prove me wrong:
PRO TIP
you cant
>>
>>508698
>/a/ was literally the first board.
/a/ wasn't even made until over a month after 4chan's launch
http://www.4chan.org/news?all#20
>>
>>509115
There's nothing wrong with slow boards.
>>
>>508698
No it was /b/...
Anon you better not be pretending to be retarded
>>
>>509201
Space Dandy wasn't released in 2007
Bam, proven wrong.
>>
File: 1461446932481.jpg (101 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1461446932481.jpg
101 KB, 960x720
Bump.
>>
>>508694
>Ban all the oldfags and let newfags rebuild it.
That is effectively what happened in 2007 and it killed /a/, turning it into an /a/utistic shitstain of general threads and template threads it is today.
>>
>>508744
>Also the best sense of humour .
Yeah, a great sense of humour those fucks have to spend hours on end sperging out because of a different OP image.
Not at all cancerous fucks who should be banned and told to fuck off to an appropriate board.
>>
File: muhscales.png (487 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
muhscales.png
487 KB, 500x656
>>509229
>>
File: 34066563-1292-935.jpg (101 KB, 1292x935) Image search: [Google]
34066563-1292-935.jpg
101 KB, 1292x935
>>508640
i always wanted an /uya/ board ever since 1982
>>
>>508650
I'd have to agree with this. The best threads on /v/ are always the ones that should go in /vr/ or /vg/. If they didn't exist then we'd have more quality threads on /v/ (arguably).
>>
>>508651
>/ma/ for Manga
Well moot asked about it but everyone say no.Manga and Anime should stay together.
Agree with others of your post
>>
>>508640
I don't think that's a very good idea OP.
>>
>>508651
We could keep manga and anime together just by having older, finished manga on the retro board, and ongoing manga on the regular anime board.
>>
A /retro anime/ board would be comfy as fuck.
>>
/ar/ - Arkansas
/ra/ - Retro Anime
/as/ - Adult Swim
/ca/ - California
/can/ - Current Anime
/ag/ - Agriculture
/ga/ - Georgia
/gas/ - Georgia the State
/agn/ - Anime Generals

You want?
>>
>>511108
No, please make /can/ - Canada
>>
>>508640
Fuck off.
>>
>>509115

I have no idea why people bitch about /vr/ when it's one of the best boards on this site. Like >>509210
said, who gives a damn if it's slow? That's the consequence of limiting your interactions to people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>511132

No, then people would think it's a board dedicated to Damo Suzuki.
>>
>>511286
Because most of the dead boards people are suggesting already have better high quality places for them on the internet and want those dead boards to be split off another board. Literally no purpose to them other than to kill discussion on certain things.

/a/ doesn't need anything done to it. It doesn't need any splits and people who suggest splits are fucking brain dead fucking retarded. /a/ just needs mods who actually care back and generals banned. That's it. Not these fucking dead board splits that do nothing than kill discussion and destroy fucking /a/ completely because people are so fucking autistically retarded that they have this constant need to talk about x CONSTANTLY even when no one cares about it and aren't willing to make their own threads on /a/ and try and create discussion themselves. If they can't just go x thread and get bump limit, they don't care. These people are useless garbage and shouldn't be catered to.

The only board 'split' that needs to be made is the /anime/ text board back, thats it. It presents no negative effects on anything, but, everyone wins from it.
>>
>>511301
I don't think /a/ should be split. I'm talking specifically about /vr/, which people who don't seem to actually go to the board like to complain about. I generally agree with what you're saying otherwise.
>>
File: 1451520986561.png (231 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1451520986561.png
231 KB, 894x894
>>508645
No one is turning HxH threads into generals. They're not even called generals by people who frequent them.
>>
Hi Pokemon Trainer.
>>
>>511744
They're generals in everything but name. I create a discussion for the latest chapter and people co-opt it to discuss everything about the entire series. Like, you know, a general. And there's always that "Killua is cute" weirdo (I mean, he is cute, but c'mon). Along with someone who feels compelled to argue about Alluka's gender and they have to be told that gender is not the same thing as sex (which is why the ants are genderless). You know how it is.
>>
>>508640
http://www.strawpoll.me/10072406
>>
>>511825
>proxy poll
>>
>>511833
>I want /a/ to be like /v/
>>
>>508640
I like it.
>>
File: 1421892612396.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1421892612396.png
1 MB, 1360x768
>>508640
I love /a/, it is my main board, but it's a really weird board when you think about it. It has a few eternal threads but beyond that it's a board that changes 80% of its content every 4 months and stays like that too. That's probably a good sign, it shows that the users are all on the same page and have the same interests, but it's a shame it kills out discussion of older series and manga. And what's more, it means that if you love /a/ in Summer, you may not care for it in Fall just depending on which way the wind blows and which anime happen to be airing.

I also don't think that the split would greatly hurt /a/'s speed either. Using /a/ and /ar/ (or whatever it'll be called) aren't mutually exclusive, a person who posts on /ar/ won't take a post away from /a/.

And if there is a cut off date like /vr/, I'd suggest any year before 2007, on the basis that 2007 was one of those major years in anime where a lot of still very popular shows came out and are still discussed. Though 2000 is also a good year to use.

>>508650
/v/ has bigger problems than having two other boards. Also, if /v/ weren't split and had its traffic combined with /vg/ it would be the fastest board by an order of magnitude, there's no way to maintain and moderate an unsplit /v/. Also /vr/ is a pretty good board, slow yet steady, people know what they're talking about, lots of discussion and image sharing instead of just memes. The thing is that the split keeps /a/ as /a/ is now, a board that mostly discusses airing anime. But, it provides a space to discuss older anime too, with little downside other than a hypothetical minor dip in traffic, and a few confused /a/non.

>>508651
I don't think we'd need a board just for manga if there was already a slower /a/.

Also for people who say /a/ can never be split, keep in mind it already is with boards like /e/, /c/, and arguably /jp/.
>>
NO.

Do NOT split /a/. Do NOT become what /v/ has become. It's the worst shit ever.
>>
>>511959
shut up . no one asked your opinion
>>
>>511959
That's because /v/'s community is entirely different and prefers to talk about industry drama rather than actual video games. /a/, however, actually talks about anime, so a split would be better for them.
>>
>>511974
You're mentally retarded. Please kill yourself, the splits with /v/ has caused more bad for the fucking board and you know it. Jesus Christ you stupid reddit fuck get out of here.
>>
>>512017
Please discontinue use of this site until you have reached 18 years of age.
>>
>>509115
There are two main points.
1. A non-seasonal board is much less strict than the retarded <2000 rule. You can have long threads about, say, Texhnolyze or FLCL, which are last decade and thus actually on the memory of people younger than 30, or heck, even classics from relatively recently like Shinsekai Yori (2012) desperately need such a board. Their threads are instantly drowned, unless counteracted with extreme popularity.
And of course, it's "deadline" moves forward, unlike /vr/. You get new stuff constantly.

The difference is that no one actually cares about old games much. Not saying there weren't good games, that'd be retarded, especially since Zelda:MM is my favourite game. But most everything is remembered more due to childhood nostalgia rather than actual merit. And most is forgotten because of the insurmountable canyon of technological obsolescence. They frequently suffer from elements things that actively hinder your enjoyment as a modern gamer, like more bugs, saving system. That doesn't happen to anime, unless you hate the artstyle.
>>
My experience with discussing retro anime on /a/ appears to be much better than that of other people in this thread. I realise that these threads are slower than other threads for airing shows, but I don't see that as a downside, especially if you're looking for actual discussion rather than chatroom-esque threads. Although /vr/ is a very slow board currently, and there are many good arguments against its existence, I think /vr/ is more jusitified than /ar/ would be on the basis that the majority of people who post on /vr/ probably don't post often on /v/ and vice versa. There are external reasons for this which simply aren't in place for anime - owning old school consoles, choosing to play a specific time period of games or outdated subgenre of games, nostalgia etc. - which means these communities are segregated in a way in which anime communities simply are not. I think it's reductive to write about anime as if it's some sort of singular, entity with extremely well-defined and consistent characteristics, just as it is for video games, or music, or any other medium, but if you were to make a venn diagram of seasonal anime watchers and retro anime watchers, I think you'd find there was considerable crossover. You'd have a very large number of people forced into using two boards instead of one. If you think the only reason discussion of older content is ignored is because of the sheer quantities of new material being released, just take a look at /mu/. Not only is it beneficial for users to see the influence of older works on newer material, it's also beneficial for those interested in older stuff to find newer things they like as well, and follow the development of a certain genre, or perhaps even trends in the medium as a whole, over time and gain a greater perspective on things.
>>
Furthermore, having users with wildly varying taste generates interesting discussions and prevents the board from becoming bland, which is usually what happens when a community is mostly on the same page about a certain subject.

I remember when the split between /a/ and /jp/ occurred in 2008, and there was a great deal of uproar followed by contempt for a considerable length of time. This is not to say I think splitting up a board because it will piss of users is unjustified - I think it totally was justified to split /a/ into /a/ and /jp/ because the variation in threads on the board was beginning to make things untenable for both users and mods to deal with, and there were considerable divides growing between users who wanted to discuss anime and manga, and those who wanted to have light-hearted, yet provocative tomfoolery about otaku culture. These were clearly - for the most part - two distinct groups with different worldviews and objectives who each needed their own home, unlike the retro anime watchers and seasonal anime watchers, who don't necessarily have different objectives or worldviews, even assuming that they're mostly two distinct groups of people, which I don't believe to be true.
>>
/a/ and /v/ users have had differing attitudes towards newfags for as long as I can remember, and I think /a/'s total reluctance to spoon-feed newfags is a substantial part of why /a/ hasn't degenerated over time in quite the same way /v/ has. Of course, the /vg/ split hurt /v/ in a big way, but since /a/ doesn't really allow generals or have many general-like threads (at least compared to what /v/ was like before the /vg/ split, I think largely because /v/ users at the time did little to discourage them). The board isn't nearly overrun enough with generals to justify a containment board for generals, especially since we know how badly that could potentially affect the quality of remaining discussion, and how damaging and divisive such a maladroit bifurcation of a (still somewhat) tight-knit community would be as well. As a side note, I think the reason /v/ is bad now is not just down to the board being split, but also about how /v/ has self-moderated over the years, how the actual mods are bad too, how argumentative the users are that they can't stop themselves getting in a political arguments rather than discussing a game, and how many newfags there are now who post in shitty threads without knowing how to sage.
>>
It sounds to me like there are a lot of /a/ only fags with the opinion /a/ should be split (some of the worst /a/ posters, by the way, because they know very little about the site they're using as a whole) who don't quite realise the ways in which their board could be worse because the haven't spent enough time on other boards. I don't think /a/ is intrinsically superior to other boards, but it's my home board because it's different in a way I like because it manages its own community, and I don't want such a community to be lost. If you think /a/ is bad for ignoring certain topics people want to discuss, I'd suggest that you use most other boards on this website and I think you'll find this is a near inevitable consequence of the imageboard format, and while this problem could be corrected by creating more boards, you'll lose a lot more than you gain for several reasons. Moreover, there's a point at which we've got to stop creating more and more boards. This site can't just have a board for every group of people so they never find out about anything they've never heard of before, or have to interact with people they may be different from or disagree with. In fact, those are some of 4chan's most positive aspects, in my opinion. Like I mentioned at the start of this ramble (sorry, I'm kind of drunk so apologies for my verbosity and poor attempt at formatting) my experience discussing older anime on /a/ hasn't been bad; in fact, I've been part of many great threads about older anime on /a/ over the years. If you really want to discuss it, there are others there who do too (you can't deny this if you think there's enough people to make a board for it), so be a little more persistent and I think things will work probably work out for you.
>>
>>512099
I've enjoyed reading your rant and there are a few things I'd like to respond to.
>if you were to make a venn diagram of seasonal anime watchers and retro anime watchers, I think you'd find there was considerable crossover.
This is true, however the issue isn't that there's no interest in older anime, which there definitely is. The issue is just that threads dedicated to an older anime die off. And not even that they're slow and don't reach bump limit, it's more that threads barely have a chance to live for more than an hour at all. Keep in mind /a/ may not be as fast as /v/, /pol/ or /b/ but it's one of the fastest and largest boards, and that will inevitably choke out a lot of non-mainstream content.

Also you say
>You'd have a very large number of people forced into using two boards instead of one.
As a negative, and then
>It sounds to me like there are a lot of /a/ only fags with the opinion /a/ should be split (some of the worst /a/ posters, by the way, because they know very little about the site they're using as a whole)
Which seems contradictory to me.

>If you think the only reason discussion of older content is ignored is because of the sheer quantities of new material being released, just take a look at /mu/
As someone who also uses /mu/ I think this is an absolutely terrible comparison for several reasons.
1. It's simply easier to listen to music than to watch anime, because albums are shorter than series and you can be doing something else while you do. You can clear an artist's whole discography in a day, something you'll be hard pressed to do outside of single cour anime or movies.
2. /mu/'s culture is the polar opposite of /a/'s, and also much worse. /mu/ gives recommendations and asks for them freely, /mu/ has very little actual discussion because most of /mu/ are not musicians, and /mu/ is an incubator of terrible memes, often with a strong /pol/ influence.

cont.
>>
File: 1440397261015.gif (455 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1440397261015.gif
455 KB, 320x240
>>512130
>Furthermore, having users with wildly varying taste generates interesting discussions and prevents the board from becoming bland, which is usually what happens when a community is mostly on the same page about a certain subject.
I don't see how a board dedicated to older anime would affect this. In any given season there is anime appealing to wildly varying tastes, and of course the same could be said of older anime. I agree that it's good to have diversity on a given board because good things happen when people with different tastes expose themselves to one another and bounce ideas around, but we're not talking about limiting boards by genre, just age.

>Moreover, there's a point at which we've got to stop creating more and more boards.
I agree, but I don't think we've come to that point yet and I don't think splitting /a/ goes beyond that point. In fact, outside of splitting /a/, there's not many more boards I think I would support the creation of.

>This site can't just have a board for every group of people so they never find out about anything they've never heard of before, or have to interact with people they may be different from or disagree with.
You're right, insular niche boards are a bad idea. However as you said the people who watch retro anime also watch airing and vice versa, so I don't think that argument applies in this instance

I'm >>511950 by the way, and my argument is simply that an /ar/ board could give a nice space to discuss older anime on the merits that it would be slower, and so more people would have a chance to see the thread, so more people could post in it. I think a lot of people come to /a/ to discuss something in particular, like an airing show they like, so when you try to make a thread that people didn't plan on posting in you've already lost a lot of potential discussion right there.
I'd also argue the split would benefit /a/ as well, because it would sure up more space for threads dedicated to less popular airing anime
>>
>>512131
Oh nice, I got a proper response

>threads dedicated to an older anime die off.
Ok, that's a fair point. Perhaps it's something I wasn't really aware of because it's been something that's been getting worse gradually over time and I haven't paid enough attention to it. Maybe the long-lasting threads about retro shows I was in were longer ago than I think they were. I still usually contribute to these threads though whenever I see them, though, so I admit it's possibly quite bad now, but I'm still not convinced it's as bad as you've made out.

>contradictory
I don't see how those ideas are contradictory. Knowing about the site as a whole is a separate concept from how many boards you use. You could use every porn board and still be completely ignorant about 4chan. I think in this case using /a/ and /ar/ would be the equivalent of using one board because they would be very similar for a while - two boards about very similar things, and if you've only used /a/ there's a great deal you're missing. These people, while being forced into using a second board (in many cases, I think unnecessarily) wouldn't learn any further context on the culture of 4chan as a whole.
>>
>/mu/
Yeah, I think /mu/ is a bad comparison too, but I was only pointing out that it's possible for older content to be discussed even when an abundant quantity of content being released. I guess it takes people less time to become informed on an artist than on some retro anime, but since threads can be made at any time, I don't think ease of access is a significant factor. I use /mu/ much less than I use /a/, and I don't like the culture as much, but not really for the reasons you gave. I kind of understand why recommendations are a thing on /mu/ - obscure music is far harder to come across than even the most obscure anime. There are databases which list every anime that's ever been produced, but obviously this isn't really possible with music. I think there are too many sheer rec threads on /mu/, but I end up posting charts like the ones on the wiki a fair amount when I'm on /mu/ and asking for "similar to this" mid-thread is perfectly fine because you're speaking with people who are likely to know, unlike taking a chance on /wsr/. I think /mu/ does have discussions that are good from time to time. Does /a/ not have good discussions because the majority of /a/ are not animators? There's very little threads about animation quality on /a/. I agree about the memes things, but I don't see the /pol/ influence as being as bad as it is on other boards.

>just age
Except genres and tastes are intrinsically linked to age in anime. Since Japanese animation is expensive to make and can be sold at a high price, most anime are made to appeal to a specific demographic, many shows play it safe, but what playing it safe means changes over time. In the 80s, playing it safe was making a show about mechas in outer space, in the early 90s, the focus changed to making a cute girl cute girl the protagonist rather than a side character.
>>
Then, after Eva, things changed again and many shows became more psychological before the the early to mid 2000s when a large infux of 'cute girl shows' made this the prevailing trend. Of course I'm generalising, and there's varitation of shows every year, but the kind of variation in 2016 is totally different from the kind of variation in 1991. There are conversations which aren't being had about the development of anime both in terms of its trends and about the medium as a whole if discussion is split in this way. Your dividing people who probably have interesting points to make to each other and consequently making it more difficult for retro anime watchers to get into airing stuff, or, perhaps moreso, making it more difficult for people who only watch airing stuff to get into retro anime (which I'd argue is worse since those people are lacking knowledge about the influences on what they're watching).

>I don't think we've come to that point yet
I think we have, although what the 'right number' is is really subjective, and it's going to depend on things like how many boards there were when someone started using the site, how well the site currently caters to their interests, which other websites they use, how many boards they frequent etc. For example, since I started using 4chan, I think I've had a fairly decent idea about what each board is like (I'm hardly the only one) and that's become more difficult to keep up with recently. I guess I'm a little worried that 4chan isn't the community it used to be and is rather becoming a host for a selection of unrelated communities who have increasingly less in common with each other. I don't want this place to be reddit, which is why I made the next comment about insular boards being bad even if it wasn't relevant in this case. I think /ar/ is an unnecessary addition because I think it might end up even less active than /vr/ and most of user base would also post on /a/, which is not true for /vr/ and /v/.
>>
File: 1452802113653.png (404 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1452802113653.png
404 KB, 720x540
I think you have good points, but I consider the losses to /a/'s variation in discussion and community greater than the potential gains from longer-lasting retro anime threads.
Also: "more space for threads dedicated to less popular airing anime"
>implying it wouldn't be more "X is best girl. Prove me wrong" and "UMARU ON THE FRONT PAGE"-type threads
I am a total cynic, though
>>
>>512241
You might be right, and /ar/ isn't really a huge priority in my mind either, not as much as, say, the current /qst/ issue. I just think it'd be nice to have, and at the very least would be worth trying. The issue is that until we know hiro or whoever it falls to can delete trial boards once the trial is over and the board is shown to not be any good, it should be deleted. Making /ar/ might do some good, but it's important that if it does bad then it's plug can be pulled. Without something like that, the risk is there to do permanent damage to /a/, which I would not like.

Also just to clarify some things

>Does /a/ not have good discussions because the majority of /a/ are not animators?
No, they do, but the difference is that music is just music but anime is art, music, writing, and the sum of those things too. Everyone on 4chan (I hope) atleast has a basic education in things like writing and literature, which carries over to anime. And even though most people can write better than they can draw, most can also draw much better than they can play music, which carries over too. /a/ can discuss plot and characters, and many on /a/ also do have a hobbyist's knowledge of animation, but there are many on /mu/ (myself included) who know nothing about music beyond who made what album or what instrument makes a certain sound. Discussion of notes, meters, forms, schools, chords and so on are totally over the majority of /mu/ user's heads the way discussion of basic animation isn't over /a/'s, in my experience at least, /mu/ does have threads to producing music (/gg/, /prod/) but those don't trickle down very often.

>Except genres and tastes are intrinsically linked to age in anime.
This is true, it's just my point was that I don't think /a/ in any form will every want for variety because anime is a diverse and varied medium, even if you only have a small slice of anime to go off of.

brief cont. to follow
>>
>>512257
> I guess I'm a little worried that 4chan isn't the community it used to be and is rather becoming a host for a selection of unrelated communities who have increasingly less in common with each other.
Your worry is justified, absolutely, and one that I think always has and always will haunt a website like 4chan that doesn't have usernames or post records attached to accounts so that you can't see or say who has left or come in or whatever. We're all anonymous here, but are we the anonymous that was anonymous 5-10 years ago? Who knows.

If you've never heard of the "ship of theseus" I recommend reading the wikipedia article on the thought experiment, it's very applicable to the 4chan community.

Still though, what must be acknowledged is that 4chan is very big, it's a top 500 english speaking site, and it's range of interests is diverse. You'd have to be a real renaissance man to have relevant hobbies or interests to even 10% of the boards on 4chan. 4chan as one cohesive whole is just impossible once it reaches a certain size. That's like trying to get every person in a single college campus are large business structure all on the same page and to know each other, good luck.

Though it's been fun talking to you, anon.
>>
>>512257
Thankfully /film/ was deleted earlier today, so now we know it's possible. Although, I'm not in favour of /ar/, I wouldn't be against trailing it (I would be against /ag/, though). I hadn't really thought about the the fact most people have more experience writing and drawing than they have understanding of music: it isn't true in my case.

I agree with what you've written here. I've read about the Ship of Theseus before and applying it to 4chan certainly seems accurate. Thinking about people, it's sort of like asking how many players you've got to switch before you've made a new team. I find it easy to forget just how large this site is now, and it definitely makes me wonder the extent to which it's the community I joined.

Good talking to you as well
>>
/a/ is fine as it is. I would welcome an /ar/ though because I like the idea of really slow, comfy threads about classic anime.

I wonder what the cutoff point would be though? 2010? 2000?
>>
>>512358
/vr/ is basically set at 2000 because of console gens, but obviously anime doesn't have that so I think I'd just make it "10 years ago" or something like that
>>
>>508640
No.
>a separate board for airing shows
Hyper no. "Yeah let's just cut off the part of anime that gets new content every single day just because I dislike it"
/a/ doesn't need to be split, if your thread about and old show doesn't get replies then it's because people aren't interested in it (and I've certainly seen threads about them easily reach bump limit, more than once). Threads already last about one hour without replies on /a/, compare that to any fast board and you'll understand how long it is.
>>
>>512358
>>512389
The significant divide between "classic" and "modern" anime is the shift from cel to digital animation. It obviously doesn't have the same "hard" distinction as a console gen, but 2000 works well enough as an arbitrary cutoff date.
>>
That just seems unnecesary. There has never been a massive amount of discussion for old shows in the first place, but maybe /m/ could be expanded so there could be discussion that isn't immediately pushed off.
>>
>>508640
>/ar/ - Retro Anime
There isn't enough discussion to support a whole board for retro anime. There is barely enough to support a single thread on /a/ when they have the occasional retro anime thread that includes everything before 2000. It is partially because there are far less shows people actually mark as notable before then compared to after 2000, while another factor is a lot of people don't like how dated a lot of it looks as only a few shows have really aged well.
Also you say the posting speed on /a/ is too fast, but it actually takes over an hour at even the faster times for a thread to drop off the board. For the user base size of /a/, if people aren't replying in that amount of time that means no one really cares enough about the topic. The best way to go about it is to just keep with the occasional retro thread. It works now (if a bit slow) so there is no real need for a new board.
>>
File: 1461778045630.png (85 KB, 312x332) Image search: [Google]
1461778045630.png
85 KB, 312x332
>longposting
do you niggers really think I have time for this
>>
>>508640
Kill yourself.
>>
>>513237
Meant to respond to: >>513232
>>
>>512131
>I don't see how a board dedicated to older anime would affect this. In any given season there is anime appealing to wildly varying tastes, and of course the same could be said of older anime. I agree that it's good to have diversity on a given board because good things happen when people with different tastes expose themselves to one another and bounce ideas around, but we're not talking about limiting boards by genre, just age.
I don't think this concept was being applied to just /ar/, but, also /a/. Splitting of /ar/ would have a heavy impact on /a/ itself, which is what most people don't want.

I am still in the opinion that most of these issues people are complaining about would be solved with the text boards added back.
>>
File: 1461864878653.jpg (50 KB, 524x700) Image search: [Google]
1461864878653.jpg
50 KB, 524x700
>>513284
love you too fampai
>>
>>508640
No, fuck off.
>>
>>508640
Sure, the only other places where you can discuss older shows online are pretty shitty, like MAL.
>>
>>513533
https://www.oldschoolotaku.com/forum/
>>
"General" threads are the shittiest thing that happened to 4chan. They feel like threads for people that want to discuss something, but nothing in particular and don't have much to say to start a real thread. Instead they make circlejerky recurring threads about everything and nothing, mostly off-topic and meta discussion.

There are indeed topics that have really big interest and would kill other, slower threads on respective boards and for such e.g. /vg/ works well. However, given really huge interest in these topics, dedicated boards for them could work better, enforcing discussions on particular subjects, not all and nothing with off-topic in one thread.
I'm aware of people opposing creation of new boards for every niche interest, so I won't dwell into that deeper.

That said, /ar/ is a really good idea and I'm all for it, for pre-2000 anime and manga, that finished production (to exclude long and still going series, like Sazae-san, Nintama Rantarō, Chibi Maruko-chan, Detective Conan, One Piece, etc.).

I'm against /as/, because it would turn into another general contamination board. Another problem, when thread no longer belongs to /as/? When it stop airing? When there are no plans for another season? It would backfire horribly.
>>
File: 1452386177750.png (90 KB, 323x438) Image search: [Google]
1452386177750.png
90 KB, 323x438
Hey guys, instead of asking a board that's not /a/ about what /a/ should become, how about you ask /a/ what /a/ should become.
>>
>>513945
You've linked this before, are you the admin or something? Not that I'm complaining; it looks like a pretty decent forum.
>>
>>515894
These thread are just cancer produced by shitposter because board should be deleted or only up if mods is online
>>
>>515895
I linked to it once (maybe twice) on /a/; have you seen it linked any other times? And no, I don't even have an account there, I just stumbled upon it while looking up Urusei Yatsura stuff once and thought it was neat. Traditional forums aren't my thing, but it seems like a good place to hangout if you're an old guy that doesn't want to deal with retards on imageboards.
>>
>>515894
And just how exactly do you imagine that?
>guys, stop posting so low-key threads have a chance
>guys seriously, stop talking about current anime. We want to talk about an obscure 80s anime
>>
>>516045
I saw it linked either on /a/ or /qa/ before. It must have been you since I doubt there two anons linking to the same obscure otaku forum.
>>
>>508698
>>509206
/a/ and /b/ were one board at that time, and moot decided to split it.

but /b/ is the first board on 4chan, and it's marked as /ab/
>>
The sticky should be the "history of anime" image with all the dates turned back 10 years and Shaft inventing moe.
>>
>>508640
>long-running generals
What kind of proper generals does /a/ even have besides the Drawfag and Daily Japanese threads (which seem more appropriate for /i/ and /jp/)?

Then there's some garbage like the weekly Yuyushitters thread on Tuesdays, but how are you supposed to discern those from ordinary threads about a series?

Whether you'd separate shows by age or make a board for generals, there are always corner cases where it doesn't work well.
>>
File: katy-math.1311707426014.jpg (161 KB, 764x524) Image search: [Google]
katy-math.1311707426014.jpg
161 KB, 764x524
>>508640
/co/ has a similar problem. Perhaps a combined board /rac/ - Retro Animation/Comics, including any comics/manga or anime/cartoons from before 10 years from the present.
>>
File: 65204481.jpg (139 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
65204481.jpg
139 KB, 500x418
Reminder to petition to the official 4chan board suggestion channel
http://www.4chan.org/feedback
>>
>>508640
I'm not certain a seasonal board would be a good idea but I'd like to see it happen, at least temporarily, for contrast with how a retro board turned out.
>>
>>508640
No, shut up.
>>>/a/140942795
Here, people can talk about old shows on /a/. Why don't you make more threads instead of suggesting new boards?
>>
>>518607
Indeed, because ripping apart the one constant source of new content from a board sounds like a great idea.
Do you have any idea how retarded that sounds?
>>
>>518609
Yes. I'm saying do it anyway.
>>
Just make threads on /a/ you losers, pre-2000 threads are about a monthly occurrence, like delinquent threads (wish those would come back.)
All these threads need is someone to make them and provide discussion.
>>
>>508640
Mods don't even have enough time to moderate /a/ yet you want another board when shitty >>>/soc/ >>>/lgbt/ threads full of bloggers are spammed on /a/ along with other crossboarders plaguing /a/?

>>>/a/141071504

>>>/a/141075132
>>
>>519572
>All these threads need is someone to make them and provide discussion.
You are missing the important part were when they make the thread they actually have to try and start some sort of discussion and not go 'x thread' and expect to get bump limit.
>>
>>519601
I literally just said provide discussion you mongoloid, you even quoted that part.
>>
>>519604
I took that part as "samefag your thread a lot". Mistake on my behalf.
>>
>>519610
You can't just go "Pre-2000 thread" you have to start with what you've seen recently, and your thoughts on it and what you plan to watch next. As well as providing a question. Thread making 101.
>>
Could probably be great for you but bad for /a/. When /v/ split into /vr/, it turned /v/ much shittier yet /vr/ is apparently a really quality board. I don't really go on /a/ so I can't speak from that perspective, but I'd say go for it since your threads are 404ing quickly on /a/ as it is.
>>
File: 14488956866580.jpg (97 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
14488956866580.jpg
97 KB, 650x488
>>519631
Wasn't the creation of /vg/, what made /v/ shitty? /vg/ was added in February 2012, /vr/ in March 2013.

It's the exact reason why I'm against /ag/, as on-topic discussions about airing anime are a big part of /a/. I don't think creation of /ar/ would affect quality of /a/ greatly, as it's a niche topic, in no way essential to existence of /a/. /m/ seems to be similar to /ar/ in this regard. It doesn't take away essential part of /a/ discussions, but is big enough niche to be an active board and have quality discussions.

Compare /vg/ and /vr/ yourself, to see the difference. You will notice that big portion of /vg/ is collection of circlejerky communities about single games or franchises. Boards like /mmo/ or Asian Video Games would split /v/ much more nicely than contamination board for all hot topics, with discussions interesting enough to yield multiple threads and possibility of creating a "general".

/vr/ is good because it's not revolting about generals. There are some, but they are not essential to the board and if people lose interest in particular thread, they can hop into some other random discussions. /vg/ on the other hand is a fast board and is only about generals, where to keep discussing, one needs to create yet another edition of general. Due to that, slower threads are filled with bumps and there are ones like Katawa Shoujo General, which is beyond #3000, should be dead long time ago (maybe still kicking in a form of biweekly or monthly thread on /v/), but still keeps slowly going with big amount of off-topic discussion and more often hits image limit, than bump limit.

/vg/ seems to be only good for MMOs/online games, games with rolling updates like MOBAs (Dota 2, LoL, etc.) and FPSes, games relevant in eSports, or broad topics like VNs and AGDG.
>>
>>519600
Hiroyuki should hire more mods in that case. Paid mods who are impartial, cruelly just, give absolutely no shit about any board culture, and will never communicate with the fanbase or the existing moderator staff except through Hiroyuki.
They should all be Japanese, speak not one word English or any other language, and only rely on google translate or other machine translation to attempt to understand why the silly gaijins are reporting a post or a thread all the time, and then use their judgement upon it.
>>
>>519631
>your threads are 404ing quickly on /a/ as it is
>>>/a/140942795
Was alive for around 3 days showing that there is no problem in having threads for retro anime on /a/. The fact it took so long to reach bump limit shows there isn't enough people to support a whole new board.
>>
>>508688
>>508697
>>508734
lmao typical butthurt /a/utust
>>
>spliting /a/
No fuck off, we don't want this only angry /v/ tards do. Kill yourself.
>>
>>508640
Fuck no that is a horrible idea.
>>
File: punch.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
punch.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>508640
>Spliting /a/
Kill yourself
>/ar/
Guaranteed dead board or a new chatroom board, a classic general can barely kept alive. It is impossible to discuss old anime besides hey remember this anime, oh yeah I remember that.
>/as/
lel
>/ag/
Yeah one look at /vg/ says this is a awful idea, we really need more chatrooms for people to circle jerk in.
>/m/
Could work actually but I am still against splitting /a/.

The only people who want to split /a/ are the type who don't browse /a/, it is mad normalfags who watched cowboy beebop for the first time and get mad we don't want to discuss cowboy beebop for the billionth time.
Leave us the fuck alone, you want to help or improve /a/ then push to ban generals that are not airing or not having a manga release like what they do with /got. Look at any of the regular general it is all avatarfagging, imagine dump and sad memes for people who want a chatbox.

Also ban trip users like bear.
Also
>splitting /a/
Again kill yourself, shit like this is why /q/ got nuked.
>>
>>515894
I only browse /a/ and /an/ sometimes and here how you can improve it.
>/got/ styled purge on non creative generals
>ban umaru shitposter
>ban tripfags
>ban umaru shitposter
>secretly delete threads that have "thread" in the title, they are disguised generals.
>>
>>520855
How new are you?
>>>/m/
>>
>>508640
No.
>>
>>520874
/m/ is shit and is not anime exclusive.
>>
>>520835
>>520855
>>520914
>>520935
>all these mad /a/utsts
top kek
>>
>>520855
>hurr durr stop splitting my board you dumb notrmfalfag let us have waifu and moeshit circlejerks for the 2536th time
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>520938
>>520943
Hey /v/ lets talk about cowboy beebop, remember that time you watched it, yeah me too.
>tfw no space gf
/board.
>>
>>520946
Go jerk to your waifu pillow stupid moeshitter
>>
>>520963
Who would win in a fight /v/ Goku or One punch man? I bet Umaru on the front page would know xD
>>
>>520963
lol get a load of this nerd.
Waifus aren't for jerking off to, they're for loving.
>>
>>508640
That's unnecessary, we only needs a waifu board to keep the real cancer away

>>520946
>>520968
You're only proving yourself to be retarded
>>
File: 1459540701188.gif (2 MB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1459540701188.gif
2 MB, 500x364
>>520971
>he thinks he can love an imaginary cartoon
>>
>>520973
Hey /v/ isn't it great that Dragon Ball is a gag manga but we all take it serious, I mean isn't Goku as strong as Bills now and it so lame that the king of everything is a fucking child. Toriyama does not take this shit serious anymore.
>>
>>520981
How is serious power level shitposting any less stupid than waifu wars
>>
>>520993
I would not post like this on /a/, this thread should be deleted.
>>
>>520973
>waifu board
And you fuck off too.
>>
>>519650
>Wasn't the creation of /vg/, what made /v/ shitty?
/v/ has been regarded as a bad board for as long as I remember, but I'd personally say the board only became truly irredeemable after 2011-2012.

DA2 came out and the game was a huge disappointment. Up until this happened, most people thought positively of Bioware. Even ME2 had a huge fanbase (of waifufags) on /v/. DA2 was the game that made people really dislike Bioware, and this led into the TORtanic. TOR was the next Bioware game, and the entire board was collectively shitting on it for months. But the problem is, it didn't stop there. Everyone on /v/ enjoyed TORtanic so much they desperately tried to relieve that experience by trying to make every new upcoming AAA title the next TORtanic. So it became pretty hard to discuss any upcoming popular game without faggots screaming "blunder of the century". Then /vg/ was made and took over most of actual video game discussion from /v/, which made /v/ focus even more on the negative aspects of gaming. And since Bioware was a "progressive" company, the hatred of Bioware/DA2/TOR started the SJW wars on /v/. Then a couple of months later Anita's kickstarter happened.

Oh, and in the middle of all this, there was that one famous match between /v/ and Reddit in Tribes: Ascend, which really popularized the (already existing) Reddit hate.
>>
File: 1453712616738.gif (2 MB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1453712616738.gif
2 MB, 500x600
>>521722
I wrote this post based purely on how I remember the events taking place, and since it was years ago my memory might be wrong and it could be out of order, and I have too much self-respect to "cheat" and go look it up at one of those meme wikis like KYM or ED. Please do not bully.
>>
>>521722
Reddit hate is a necessary evil. It may be off-topic, but Redditors are truly the biggest cancer 4chan has faced since Chanology
>>
>>521724
>I have too much self-respect
>while posting with a tripcode

You have no reason not to fact check.
>>
Doesn't hurt to try.
>>
>>523055
Yes it does.
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.