[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /jp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1390422991658.jpg (110 KB, 1010x1036) Image search: [Google]
1390422991658.jpg
110 KB, 1010x1036
>Otaku Culture
What is otaku culture?
What is the purpose of this board?

I tried visiting the board and all people were doing were posting Touhou waifus. Is that all there is to /jp/?

Can someone explain to me why /jp/ exists, what its topic is, and why people post there?

Sincerely, a confused anon.
>>
>What is otaku culture?

4chan, circa 2016
>>
Otaku is the Japanese word for nerd and/or geek so it can be anything pertaining to those, despite the most common association being with anime and manga fans.
>>
/jp/ was created to keep Touhou and visual novels out of /a/. You can also post any other Japanese nerd related shit on the board as long as it's not anime/manga.
>>
>>504251
It should be Japanese/random board.
>>
>>504251
Otaku means being obsessed with a hobby.
>>
>>504251
LURK MOAR FAGET
>>
>>504256
So it's the anime version of /r9k/?
>>
/jp/ - Japan/general was created as /a/'s trash can. All the garbage moot didn't want on /a/ was sent off to /jp/.
>>
>>504467
So it's like the anime version of /trash/?
>>
>>504471
Pretty much. Be thankful for it because if it didn't exist, /v/ and /vg/ would have tons of mobile game threads. Thanks to mobile games being such a big part of Japanese culture, mods wisely decided /jp/ was the right place for them. Even though they are in fact video games.

I always thought Otaku Culture was a stupid name change. I think they changed it from Japan/General so that people didn't think it was exclusively a board for generals, but instead it led to even more confusion about what exactly otaku culture means. Japan/General made sense because it's like "Yeah, this is the board for Japan."
>>
/jp/ is leaking. Daily japanese threads and buyfag threads are so obviously meant for /jp/, but they're on /a/. I don't understand why, /jp/ was created for just those types of topics (weeb stuff that's not anime or manga).
>>
>>504476
/jp/ got renamed because moot liked fucking with /jp/, everyone wanted it to be called 2D/random, a lot of the board didn't want the idol and JAV threads it now currently has. There are also tons of mobile game generals on /vg/.
>>
>>504494
>/jp/ got renamed because moot liked fucking with /jp/, everyone wanted it to be called 2D/random
What is this revisionist garbage? Fucking nobody fucking asked for this at the time of the first name change. The call for 2D / Random only started years later down the line.

>a lot of the board didn't want the idol threads it now currently has
Idol threads have been on /jp/ since literally day one.
>>
>>504254
How is it possible to be this dumb?
>>
>>504464
no
>>
>>504487
You can argue that that stuff belongs in /jp/, but it's certainly not "/jp/ leaking." Those threads are /a/ original content.
>>
>>504519
You tell me, considering you were dumb enough to get baited by it.
>>
>>504251
Are you really this dense?
>>
>>504487
That goes both directions. The borders set by boards get more shallow each day. Everyone wants his home board to have every topic.
Soon we are at the point where we might as well just have /b/ again.
>>
>>504583
Boards are actually like clubs.

For instance, /pol/ isn't actually the board for discussing politics. It's the board for people to hang out who have a tendency to like politics.
/v/ isn't the video game board, it's the board for people who tend to liek video gaems

As retarded as it sounds I'm not even sure I can say it's a bad thing or not, since the alternative is having all this scum posting on my main board more often.
>>
>>504583
Maybe it's time for /a/ and /jp/ to become one board again?
>>
>>504607
That's just destroying /jp/ and watching everything in it scatter to the four winds.
>>
Another idea for /jp/: allow stuff from all of east Asia. K-pop would be an example. Name the board:
/east/ - Otaku/East Asia
>>
>>504616
There should be an Asian Media board, but that should just be a new board. There's no need to demolish /jp/ for it.
>>
>>504585
This i§ true
>>
>>504616
3dpd idols belong in /hr/ since that's all those kpop and jpop fans really talk about
>>
>>504476
>/v/ and /vg/ would have tons of mobile game threads
There is literally nothing wrong with that.

>>504609
/jp/ has now long outlived whatever usefulness it had. Do it.
>>
>>505132
>/jp/ has now long outlived whatever usefulness it had.
/jp/ came under strict totalitarian moderation. It lost what it was a long time ago. (At least that's what I think, I wasn't there at the time).

It seemed like it used to be a pretty fun place though. More like a 2hu themed "2d random". But I'll never get to see those glory days for myself.
>>
>>505191
Yes. So we should just get rid of the board.
>>
Japanese general on int is more jp than jp
>>
File: 1387937807325.jpg (296 KB, 633x689) Image search: [Google]
1387937807325.jpg
296 KB, 633x689
I've always been scared to post on /jp/. The oldfags there are so old. I'll give myself 5 more years before posting.
>>
>>505889
>being scared of fat neckbeards
>>
>>505913
I'm scared I don't get their jokes.
>>
>>505876
Oh god fuck no are you kidding? That place is the definition of cancer.
>>
File: 1337092665786.jpg (79 KB, 800x551) Image search: [Google]
1337092665786.jpg
79 KB, 800x551
"Imageboard Culture" should be added to the rules of /jp/ desu
>>
>>506149
Or the mods should just pull the sticks out of their asses.

A site like this should have few strict rules (mostly for things like spam, ban evasion, illegal content, etc..)
and loose guidelines for everything else.

Either the mod/janitor is too anal (like on /jp/) or they try to follow loose guidelines but just happen to be an idiot on just about everything (like on every other board).
We don't just need new mods, the old mods and janitors need to be deleted.
>>
>>506185
While I think that would be interesting, it's not likely to happen anytime soon and I'm not sure there's any point in asking for it.

Well, there's not much point for asking for anything on /qa/, but even then.
>>
/jp/ is the living example of why you shouldn't make boards about polyphyletic topics. It's no wonder everyone who wasn't shunted there from /a/ is confused as to its purpose, because moot was confused when creating it.
>>
File: now it's shulk time.png (209 KB, 698x515) Image search: [Google]
now it's shulk time.png
209 KB, 698x515
>>504251
Well here's one way to look at it.
First we'll start with the Hentai board /h/.
/e/ is just /h/, but without actual sex.
/a/ is just /e/, but without nudity.
/jp/ is just /a/, but without anime.

Meaning /jp/ is just a really really specific, mostly SFW /h/. I mean, it's supposed to be a general discussion board for Japanese culture in theory, but what I described is what it is in practice.

Also everybody there loves to act like 4-year olds for some god forsaken reason. Something to do with "board culture."
>Ran wants you to brush her tails!
>Makoto looks like a boy, she isn't cute at all!
>Mokou's sadness very big!
>Youmu is NOT a dork!
>>
>>506433
"Cuteposting" is the latest ironic shitposting meme, try to ignore it.
>>
>>506438
That's far from the latest. It's been going on for years. I agree with both of you that it's annoying as fuck, though. If /jp/ had good mods they would instantly delete that shit but it regularly reaches 300 posts.
>>
>>505889
They have no past to remember. Just play touhou and you'll fit in right away.
>>
>>506448
This. They're really cocky because they think they're the elite, but it's incredibly easy to fake being them. I've had conversations with people about visual novels I have never read in my life, and they were none the wiser. I've even caused people to start questioning their own opinions.
>>
>>506444
>>506438
>>506433
>Disliking Cuteposting
What a buncha' meanies!
>>
>>506444
How do you even begin to police that?

THIS POST IS TOO ADORABLE, 48 HOURS IN THE ISO-CUBE.
IS SHE BLUSHING? DID YOU POST A GIRL BLUSHING? 72 ADDITIONAL HOURS IN THE ISO-CUBE.
>>
>>506453
Delete posts like "Mokou isn't cute" because they aren't allowed to lie on 4chan.
>>
>>506451
If you have played toohou or read a visual novel then you are one of them, you're not faking anything.
I have done neither so /jp/ isn't for me. But I browsed there during the first year anyway.
>>
>>506185
>>506386
So /jp/ has chosen to have "fun" but the janitor/moderator has chosen that the board must have "serious discussion". There is a clear conflict of interest here.
>>
>>506489
Yeah, that is the point. It is so easy to slide in even though they pretend it's not.
>>
>>506438
I think it's nice. It reminds me of when I used to be enthusiastic about things.

>>506519
/jp/'s obsession with board citizenship and general elitism has been dead for years, but congratulations on successfully infiltrating the commons. The breadth of discussion is so anemic in most places that saying you enjoyed thing is enough to make you welcome.

>>506518
Users are not a hive mind.
>>
>>506518
When "fun" was spamming every thread off the board with niggy/sudo/whatever garbage, nobody else is having fun. They went to other boards, other sites, anywhere else where they could actually do anything without spam.

They never came back.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.