[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can someone explain this newfag meme to me? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: 394.jpg (31 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
394.jpg
31 KB, 680x510
So can someone explain this newfag meme to me? It seems like any time anyone asks a question they get shamed for being new and told to lurk moar. How would anyone know anything if all they did was lurk and questions never got answers?
>inb4 OP is a newfag
Of course I am, but most people say you're not a newfag anymore when you've been on the site for 7 - 10 years. But is that something to be proud of? Who cares how long you've been browsing an anonymous images board for 10 years?
>>
>>486475
>Who cares if you've been browsing an anonymous image board for 10 years.
Fixed
>>
eventually every question gets an answer. some are not willing and whip out an easy response, others ""spoonfeed"" in more generous moods. all in due time, if they stick around.
>>
>>486477
I mean, I get that some people don't want to answer the question right then, or even know the answer, but do they have to assholes about it?
>>
>>486479
Yes.
>>
>>486480
Why?
>>
>>486479
comes with the territory
>>
People who don't have the wits to look shit up themselves or lurk enough to get an understanding of board culture and in-jokes are the least desirable kinds of people on the site.

I realize the irony in answering this, but there's your answer.
>>
If you get called a newfag it's because you are asking a question about something very recent or widely discussed frequently. Newfag isn't a meme. If you want to know the truth calling everything a meme is something only newfags do seriously as calling everything a meme is self aware ironic shitposting. Alot of fourchan is ironic shit or started off ironic and has morphed into what is often reffered to by old fags as post ironic shit. For example anybody whos only been here for a year or two will be ironically racist at first and either leave or become actually racist. Newfags have a tendancy to become post ironically something faster and more frequently. Ive been here since 2010 (only really active since 2012) and people will oversell the changes over the years. There have been some cultural shifts but most importantly 4chan is always contrarian and ironic. Believe it or not alot of people here used to be lefty 2edgy4u teens but are now surly adults. When in doubt google it. If google doesn't have it then it is new in which case you can litterally find out more information by lurking. Alot of people say you should lurk for a year before you start posting and i somewhat agree. Creating succesful threads requires a deep understanding of the culture and psyche of fourchan. One that i have yet to master. Kym.com will be your best friend for a while.
>>
>>486486
>Least desirable kinds of people on this site
So people who ask questions to things they don't know are somehow rose than people who spout nothing but "NO U" and "UR WRONG I'M RIGHT"?
>>
>>486492
Read
>>486490

Though lets be real. This is bait.
>>
>>486492
Confirmed for memes

Confirmed for bait.
>>
>>486494
Just got done reading it. A little hard to figure out due to the lack of punctuation. But I think I got the general idea.
>>
>>486490
So you're trying to say that people are being edgy faggots ironically?
>>
>>486492
Yes, because they're a nuisance. They're like helpless little kids.
>>
>>486499
>helpless
They wouldn't be helpless if others wouldn't act like assholes. And would you rather have a kid ask you a question nicely or have a brat calling you a faggot?
>>
>>486500
>They wouldn't be helpless if others wouldn't act like assholes.

Yes they would.
>>
>>486501
How so? Wouldn't they have an answer to their question and be happy about it?
>>
>>486502
They would still be helpless because they need others to retrieve easily accessible information for them.

It's extremely rare for somebody to ask for information that you can't easily find through googling or just fucking lurking.

People aren't being assholes by telling somebody to lurk.
>>
Just go to /gif/ for a week and you will understand.

Half of the board is just useless posts that add nothing to the discussion of people begging for the source of a video. They could reverse search the image on google, they could stick around for a year and know it from seeing it referred to in a post, but no, they instead ask for the source with no effort on their side. /a/ has a strict no recommendations/source asking policy and they dont have padded out threads or 10 threads of people asking recs. Greatly reducing the need for veterans to shift through shit to get to the stuff they want.

You either change your attitude to match the existing one or you can leave to another website.
>>
File: 1447785328691.jpg (24 KB, 312x340) Image search: [Google]
1447785328691.jpg
24 KB, 312x340
>>486475
Alright, OP, let me tell you something.

Don't start out on boards like /a/, /v/, /tv/ or /co/. If it bothers you that people do that shit, just go to a smaller, better board where no one really minds you asking questions. Smaller boards are much more friendly when getting started, and are a good place to build yourself up to the massively contrarian cesspool of newfags calling other newfags newfags. You don't really have to lurk moar. No one has ever lurked moar. Post the way you want after you've grown immune to the shitters trying to control the way you post.
>>
People are just dicks. If their post contains nothing helpful, don't pay any attention to them. Keep asking the question persistently and eventually someone nice will answer you. That's how I've done things for the decade I've been browsing this site and it's always served me well.
>>
>>488126
On smaller boards people also notice you are new BUT there we have less of your kind and can actually form you to a not absolute shit poster.
>>
>>488153
>BUT there we have less of your kind and can actually form you to a not absolute shit poster
What?
>>
>>488156
Nevermind, I'm autistic.
>>
>>486475
Lurk moar.
Seriously, you learn as you go and find out stuff via osmosis.
Lurk moar.
>>
JUST
>>
>>488126
>You don't really have to lurk moar.
Yes
you fucking do.
It's like watching the surf before paddling out: retards who jump straight out and end up fucked, snagged in rocks deserve to drown like the fuckwits they are for disrespecting the spot by not doing basic observations. 4chan is no different, unfortunately obnoxious newfriends don't drown like they should.

Too many fucking people on the planet, man, and the vast majority do not deserve the privilege of having access to the Internet. People like you.
>>
>>490193
>don't drown like they should
So it's not like your analogy at all.
>>
>>490193
Wow, such and edgy post I nerly cut myself
>>
>>490253
k anon

bet u were here for 4 years tops by mentioning dat edge

>>488126
I say start out on /b/, stay in the containment board, and then hang out with us on a smaller board, after you know some of the chanspeak or w/e you want to call it.

I mean yeah we can be chill and all, but I don't really think any of these smaller boards ever get newfags because said newfags don't think the site is anything past the couple of massive boards.

>>490193
completely agree, I started as a lurker, and now I just lurk a couple of boards and post in a couple other ones like this one.

>Too many fucking people on the planet, man, and the vast majority do not deserve the privilege of having access to the Internet.
10/10
who even remembers the days back when it was dial up internet

obviously not any of the newfriends
>>
File: 1447611539487.gif (400 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
1447611539487.gif
400 KB, 493x342
>>490193
>it's like watching the surf
>if you don't watch the surf, you can drown or get hurt
>if you don't lurk moar, 1/5 of your posts will have a mean reply
Wow, very similar.
>>
>>490271
>I don't really think any of these smaller boards ever get newfags because said newfags don't think the site is anything past the couple of massive boards
I dunno, I started with /x/, and I pretty much never got called a newfag when I started.
>>
>>488126
>You don't really have to lurk moar.
Yes, you fucking do.
Nobody here is your babysitter, if you want to know something, search it. God fucking damn, there's ED, lurkmore, Uncyclopedia, that cancerous Know Your Meme. Are you so retarded that you can't use google?
Oh wait, you have a 14XXXXXXX filename. Nevermind, you're just another newfag.
>>
File: 38.jpg (44 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
38.jpg
44 KB, 600x530
>>490338
And you don't have to babysit anyone, you can simply ignore them while the people who don't mind giving information give it to them. Is my filename oldfag approved now?
>>
>>490343
This attitude of yours betrays your extremely young age, kid
>>
>>490346
Oh damn, you called me a kid. I guess that makes my post invalid. That's almost as good as telling me to lurk moar.
>>
>>490343
These people who give information are also newfags wanting to help other newfags.
>deal with it
Christ, you're worse than I thought. Go back to Facebook, faggot.
>>
>>490407
Nope, they're people who just don't give a fuck about it. Believe it or not, not everyone posts or thinks the same here. We're not really a hivemind of oldfags telling people to lurk moar.

>Go back to Facebook, faggot
Oh no, not a mean name :(
>>
>>490407
>These people who give information are also newfags
So there really is no need to lurk more. There will always be someone around to actually answer questions. How does this have anything to do with what the post was actually about?
>>
>>490419
>they're people who just don't give a fuck about it
You'll eventually understand what I'm talking about when you reach your second/third year here, IF you reach it.

>>490423
What?
>>
File: 1420134452588.jpg (75 KB, 519x370) Image search: [Google]
1420134452588.jpg
75 KB, 519x370
>>490429
>being this insecure about people not thinking the same way you do
>>
File: 1458857824429.jpg (40 KB, 506x556) Image search: [Google]
1458857824429.jpg
40 KB, 506x556
>>490429
So you have literally no argument. It all comes down to "if people don't tell everyone else to lurk moar, they're newfags!"
>What?
He's saying that even if it were newfags giving the information when a newfag asks something, it still means the newfag doesn't actually have to lurk.
>>
>>490447
I was once a newfag too, my newfriend. I was always told to lurk more. I used to help other newfags too. Then I realized why people used "lurk more". Newfags who want to be spoonfed do not want to know about 4chan, they only want to know about the memes they've heard somewhere else. They want to fit in. Myspace users, ebaumsworld users, digg users. They didn't care about 4chan, they just wanted the memes. They usually abandon this site 1 year later. Have you seen greentexts outside chans? That's the kind of braindead underage spoonfeeders have been creating.
As I said, you'll eventually understand what I'm saying.
>>
>>490434
Good use of Cross Ange, a series which brought a lot of insecure people out of the woodworks.
>>
>That's the kind of braindead underage spoonfeeders have been creating
>that rotten apple I saw in the store is the reason my grandma died of a heart attack today
Typical strawman. Connect the dots any way you want and call it proof. You don't know a single thing about what each individual wants out of 4chan. You're bunching everyone up as if they were you and saying this is why x has to happen. You have no proof how any of this correlates with something else, you're just spouting the usual shit and claiming it's true because you say so.
>>
>>490558
>>490551
Woopsie.
>>
>>490551
So how does that have anything to do with anything? If someone doesn't lurk, then they're supposedly just these people that will leave after a year (an absolutely baseless statement, might I add). Why does that matter? These people will still never lurk and be given the information they want by others. They lose nothing by being spoonfed, since they're apparently already these kinds of people. How does this help your argument at all?

Your original post was about how you have to lurk, but you clearly don't since there will always be someone around to spoonfeed you. Are you so autistic that you can't stand people giving information to others?
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (21 KB, 435x139) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
21 KB, 435x139
>>490558
>You have no proof how any of this correlates with something else
I've doxed some namefags on /b/ when namefagging was still enabled. Most of them were kids spreading advice dog over the internet.
Don't believe me? Do the same.

>because you say so.
Welp, I guess every pre-2010 left then.

>>490565
You asked me for an argument, I gave you a little story.
No, those who lurk are the real chan users. They aren't autists who can't use google. The real retards are those who ask "Hai guise lol what is this epic arrow in my post >lololo ?? i cant use gogle bcos i have dislexia lolol".
Based on some doxes, these people are the kind of people like pic related. It attracts more retards to this site, but you must think this is okay, right?
Where did I say they lose anything? They don't lose anything, they have personal tech support like you to ask.
I never ask for spoonfeed, I lurk by myself because I'm not an autist who can't use google.
>>
>>490592
Funny, because my doxing on /b/ came up with people nothing like that. I guess I'm right now!
>>
>>490592
So all you have is a story that anyone could have made up about something you supposedly did to a few namefags, the cancer of 4chan, 3-4 years ago? That's it? That's the proof you have?

You have no proof. None. Again, you're spouting the usual shit and claiming it's true because you say so. I can just as easily say it's not true because I doxed people and came up with different results like >>490624
>>
>>490627
What do you want me to prove afterall?
>>
File: 1445114297869.png (337 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
1445114297869.png
337 KB, 640x478
>>490645
That all the people who ask for spoonfeedings are some kids that come to 4chan just for le ebin memes and will leave within a year.
Prove to me that asking for someone to hand them information makes them these people who will never develop into normal users.
Prove to me that most users even listen when told to lurk moar.
Prove to me that asking for information even makes you that different of a user just because you don't want to google everything.

You can't, because at the end of the day, we're all anonymous. You bitch and whine about no one lurking like they used to when you have absolutely no proof saying they did so in the first place. It's only logical to assume, since they're anonymous, they just continue posting instead of lurking. Trial and error is much more effective than simple observation.
>>
File: 9gang.jpg (42 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
9gang.jpg
42 KB, 480x360
>>490654
I'd firstly like to say that using fallacies/logic won't make you win an argument. You're using an ad ignorantiam right now and guess what? Saying this won't make me win this argument.

>That all the people who ask for spoonfeedings are some kids that come to 4chan just for le ebin memes and will leave within a year.
Never said they were kids and never said the leave in a year. You want a proof? A quickly 10 second google search showed me this:
https://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_post_a_meme_on_b_4chan's_random_forum_board
Isn't it enough? I don't fucking care. Google it yourself, lurk more.
>Prove to me that asking for someone to hand them information makes them these people who will never develop into normal users.
There's a big difference between asking for information and asking "HEY GUYS I FOUND THIS SITE 2 SECONDS AGO, HOW DO I USE THIS SITE??? :D :D :D". The second kind of person clearly does not have the patience to browse this site, therefore he'll probably leave 4chan and never turn into a normal user.

>Prove to me that most users even listen when told to lurk moar.
When did I say this? It's pretty obvious that, if everyone says "LURK MORE", the user will lurk more to find his answer, since nobody answered him.

>Prove to me that asking for information even makes you that different of a user just because you don't want to google everything.
And why should 4chan be this user's personal google just because he's a lazy piece of shit?

We're all anonymous? The first field you see in the reply box is a name field. Many newfags use it unironically;
Do you even know what lurking means? Learning without needing help = lurking;
By your logic, you can't "assume that they continue posting" too, since you can't prove it. We can't prove that Hiroyuki really bought 4chan, because it doesn't have any documentation of bank transfers, according to your logic, right?
You're the face of neo-4chan: ignorant, pseudo-intellectual and stubborn.
>>
>someone shits on your floor
>lol just ignore it and itll go away and if you dont want me to do another one then spoonfeed me what to do instead of expecting me to be capable of observing and learning myself
Lurk moar.
>>
>>490695
So you have literally no proof, got it.
>And why should 4chan be this user's personal google just because he's a lazy piece of shit?
Because they don't need to google. They can simply ask a question and get it answered here, thus showing us that there is no need to lurk.

>The second kind of person clearly does not have the patience to browse this site
Yeah, because it takes so much patience to learn how to use such an absolutely monstrously difficult site like 4chan. Why don't people just stop using the internet? It's much too hard to learn how to use it.

>you can't "assume that they continue posting"
Do you even know what assume means?
>>
>>490701
>Because they don't need to google. They can simply ask a question and get it answered here, thus showing us that there is no need to lurk.
>there is no reason to think myself i can just get others to do it for me
>there is nothing wrong with this type of person and we should allow literal retards to post because lol why not fuck lurking
>>
>>490706
>there is no reason to think myself i can just get others to do it for me
Nope, because you can't get others to think for you. You ask a question, and it gets answered. It's done throughout nearly every community on nearly every other site.
>>
File: SCREENSHOT_11082005_8.png (144 KB, 917x574) Image search: [Google]
SCREENSHOT_11082005_8.png
144 KB, 917x574
>>490709
Yeah, you discovered this site yesterday.
Lurk more, newfag.
>>
>>490720
Sure thing, buddy.
>>
>>490709
>You ask a question, and it gets answered. It's done throughout nearly every community on nearly every other site.
>fucking implying
Which community are you referring to? The ones filled with dribbling retards that make your brain hurt from fucking reading because of how stupid they are or the actual good ones? Because, the latter still requires you to lurk moar. You can't just 'fit in'. There is a reason they are good.

Every community worth its salt has a lurk moar type culture and is 'elitist' like you will probably put it. Why? Because these kind of ones are filled to the brim with literal fucking idiots who can't think for themselves and are capable of actually doing simple fucking google searches.
>>
>>490709
/diy/ (stupid question central) here.

There is a massive difference between "I just bought thing wat do" and "so im trying to do thing. This site says do X, that site says do Y, but neither make sense because I am observing Z. Wat do?

The latter user will enjoy a comprehensive and helpful thread. The former, if it gets any replies at all, will be given a screenie of their OP question in google, with all the results included, amd roundly told to fuck off. /wsr/ is the only board here that would be an exception to that rule, and even there dumb shit will get shat on.

If you come to the table with something to show you generally go alright. This is true of every forum I lurk. Why the fuck would you expect the asshole of the internet to be any different?
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.