[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Update UTF-8 support
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 1459286314335.jpg (52 KB, 684x676) Image search: [Google]
1459286314335.jpg
52 KB, 684x676
Please update support for UTF-8 characters on 4chan.

love, /g/
>>
File: damn_you.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
damn_you.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>481542
>/g/ requests
ADD BPG AND APNG SUPPORT.
>>
>>481542
>love, /g/
You out of all people should know emojis are intentionally banned.
>>
Sorry, we can't do that. To put this in technical terms, we're trying to solve a social problem with a technical solution. Spammers using special characters that look just like normal letters to get around filters, and other crap.

Basically, the long and short of it is that it'll cause way more problems than anything it fixes, and it doesn't actually fix anything. It just opens the floodgates for bullshit from users taking advantage of new avenues for upsetting the delicate safespace echo-system.
>>
>>481543
And VP9.
>>
>>481543
>BPG
Well, not this because it's never getting browser support.
>>
>>481542
seconding this but I don't think it's ever going to happen
>>
>>481564

He's not from /g/.
/g/ hates emojis.
>>
>>482226
*she
>>
>>481623
What's currently stopping spammers is the captcha, not anything on the backend. Bots being blocked from spamming kills almost all spam while bans handle the last few.

So opening up utf-8 doesn't cause any problems (after it gets implemented) and doesn't solve any problems. Which means it's not worth doing anyway. Change for change's sake that a vast minority of users would use, mostly shitposters is always a bad idea.
>>
>>482244
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "spammers". I meant "Fucking dumbass forced meme spewing retards."
>>
File: Selection_263.png (106 KB, 900x705) Image search: [Google]
Selection_263.png
106 KB, 900x705
>>482244

I meant this kind of "spam" not automated bot text.
>>
>>482254
>>482251
Oh. Then I agree. Not because of filters or anything, but, like I said, because they're almost exclusively the only ones that'd use it and it'd be another annoying tool. As it is you can already get around any world filter pretty damn easily so it's not like they really matter once the initial phrase slows down in usage.

Go back to réddit.
gbtreddit
gb2reddit
etc.
>>
>>482244
>Change for change's sake that a vast minority of users would use
UTF-8 should be a universal fucking standard by now. It would benefit the site as a whole.

Fuck off with your short-sighted, self centred thinking.
>>
>>482381
>I-it would benefit everyone!
>how?
>It just would!
>>
>>482259
But you can make 9/11 and all kinds of offensive shit with emoji too
>>
>>481542
hello
>>
>>481543
Fuck BPG
Well compressed and optimize PNG are still better for lossless.
>>
File: comparisonphotos.jpg (86 KB, 550x539) Image search: [Google]
comparisonphotos.jpg
86 KB, 550x539
>>481637
>>485064
what about FLIF?
>no support
Javascript and webassembly are your friends.
they just need to outsource to a slav to add the feature to visualize it. I mean, that's what moot did for every 4chan feature.
>>
>>485079
>Javascript and webassembly are your friends.
Images shouldn't depend on Javascript to be viewable, but that sort of thing might be worth doing if it looks like something might get support, at least in some browsers. It could work well for APNG.
>>
>>485088
>shouldn't depend on Javascript to be viewable,
that train left long time ago m8.
Fighting it is useless, everyone wants their shitty website to have at least 10mb of bloat to make it look """"""""""good"""""""""". we may as well accept that everyone expects to be able to surf with at least 1gb of ram and add a shit ton of helpful features.
>>
File: snug smug.jpg (129 KB, 1275x715) Image search: [Google]
snug smug.jpg
129 KB, 1275x715
>>481542
Emoji are UTF-16, moron.
What a shocker /g/ don't know shit about computers.
>>
>>486442
What the hell are you talking about, Anon? UTF-32 replaced UTF-16 years ago. What a shocker that the smug anime shitposter claiming /g/ doesn't know shit about computers actually doesn't know anything about computers himself.
>>
Newfag. Emojis did work on 4chan.

But then the spam of the "ok fingers" emoji caused them to disable it globally.
>>
µ √ x ſ

Characters worth using work fine. Emoji are cancer.
>>
>>485099
The most absurd thing I saw is javascript being required for the font to display.
How deep into your apple unis ass to you have to be to go that retarded,
>>
>>486552
>I did a google search and it says UTF-32 exists!
There are no emoji in blocks past UTF-16. Emoji are UTF-16 characters.
>>
>>481542
4chan has full support for multibyte UTF characters. Emoji are filtered because the mods want it that way.
>>
>>486864
UTF-16 isn't widely adopted you dingus. You're lucky if you aren't using 1990s ANSI codes on most forums.
>>
>>486945
I don't see what that has to do with anything. Emoji are UTF-16 characters. They are part of the UTF-16 unicode standard. I'm not making an argument here, I'm letting you know.

I don't know what point you are even trying to make.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.