[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ways to drastically lower shitposting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 9
File: 1454847130661.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1454847130661.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
How would you anons feel if 4chan was given a mandatory login feature tied to an email to post? You would still be displayed as anonymous, but it would be more difficult and time consuming to shitpost. Do you think this would ruin the feel of the site, or would it help get rid of actual problems?
>>
Hello NSA
>>
>>478325
It'd be good.
>>
>>478325
>Ways to drastically lower shitposting
⊕Remove the catalogue.
⊕Do something to remove functionality with plugins like 4chanx.
⊕Bring back visible sage.
⊕Enforce noko.
⊕Delete all boards created after 2006 and bring back /l/.

Shitposting would drop by at least 80% within days.
>>
>>478325
I like that idea and believe 4chan would improve with that change.
>>
>>478336
I agree with all except the catalog and removing new boards. Don't see how catalog affects shitposting moreso than it affects convenience for all users, new boards are necessary for containment.

Email is a shit idea.
We just need consistent and faster moderation, it's that simple. Public bans would help too.
>>
>>478325
I'm inherently distrusting of sites that require a login, thanks largely to 4chan's example. I would likely drop off if any sort of permanent account system came into place, hidden or otherwise. I'm sure globally the site would shed some users for various individual reasons, this may or may not be a bad thing.

I think shadowbanning is something that could be more interesting, because i'm not a ledditor, have never seen it or felt it's presence on other boards, and have no idea on it's practical impact. Aspies invisibly screaming at a wall, getting madder and madder because no one is feeding them (you)'s.. Sounds pretty shithot to me, and much better for the "vibe" of 4chan than accounts IMO.
>>
>>478354
Shadowbanning is hardly possible without an account. Once people know it's a thing, they simply change their IP every now and then so they become visible again.
>>
Won't do shit, just look at Yik Yak.
If you really want to curb shitposting, have 4chan linked to your MAC Address.
>>
I mean, wasn't part of the original idea of anonymity that people with valuable input might be turned off by having to sign up? How has that panned out?
>>
>>478325
Just have mods do their fucking jobs.
For shitposts, as opposed to spam and advertising, remedy is sufficient, while prevention will ruin the site.
>>
>>478325
>if 4chan was given a mandatory login feature tied to an email to post?
You can fuck off, that's what. More importantly, this idea has always been retarded and the only thing it will ever achieve is causing 80% of the userbase to fuck off. And not the userbase you want gone, it'll be the people you want here and the site will be left with nothing but shitposters. Account systems stop jack shit and only retards or new people who have never actually used forums and shit suggest this shit. Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1459052963771.jpg (79 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459052963771.jpg
79 KB, 640x640
>>478325

Want to decrease shitposting? Require a 4chan pass to post. Of course drop the price to like $1 per pass, but drastically increase ban times. It will first keep out a lot of literal kiddos and foreigners who don't have access to credit cards and will deter shitposting since people are less likely to risk a ban and buying another pass for their ebin wojack/blacked/whatever bullshit shitpost.
>>
>>478423
Back to SA, lowtax.
>>
>>478420
>it'll be the people you want here and the site will be left with nothing but shitposters
That doesn't even make sense. If people are against a system that deters shitposting and makes it so it's harder to ban evade, they're welcome to fuck off, but how in the hell would it increase shitposting?
>>
Sup reddit
>>
>>478336
>⊕Enforce noko.
why
>>
The quickest and most effective way of lowering shitposting and ban evasion in one swoop is to disable access by mobile users. Basically, make the site read-only from a mobile connection.
>>
>>478516
because the percentage of shitposts to regular posts would skyrocket. Regular 4chan people would flee the site, and shitposters stay. Also, ban evasion would be easier than ever, since throwaway emails are so fucking easy to make.

All in all, it's a fucking retarded idea and would never work on 4chan. Lurk more if you don't understand that.
>>
>>478631
>because the percentage of shitposts to regular posts would skyrocket. Regular 4chan people would flee the site, and shitposters stay
This is literally "because I said it will". You haven't given a reason for why it would, you're just saying it would. Anyone that leaves the site because they can't ban evade as easily should go anyway.

>Also, ban evasion would be easier than ever, since throwaway emails are so fucking easy to make
>making new emails
>easier
>than unplugging your router
You're a moron.
>>
>>478567
Isn't it already enforced? I think that idiot doesn't know what noko is and just wants to show off.
>>
Lol fuck no. This just kills chan culture. This isnt fageddit. Fuck off trying to change 4chins into some corperation hug box. It will forever remain as a vile site. Why would anyone want another boring forum site
>>
>>478641
It hasn't been enforced for years, moron.
>>
>>478636
Regular 4chan user here, I would leave because I do not wished to be forced to provide identification to 4chan. I would be leaving the site not because I couldn't shitpost, but as a silent protest against permanent user accounts. This would be true of a lot of the departing users i'm sure. The fact you're so fixated on shitposting is rather telling though.

Now please explain how opening 10minutemail.com and refreshing the page to get a mew address every time you get a b& is harder than walking off to your router (or logging into it) resetting it, waiting for it to come back online, then waiting for wireless to come back.

Unless of course, it is you that is the moron.
>>
File: 1446725012579.png (446 KB, 598x564) Image search: [Google]
1446725012579.png
446 KB, 598x564
>>478516
>. If people are against a system that deters shitposting
>accounts
>a system to stop shitposting and negative posters
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Most people come to 4chan because it doesn't have an account system and is piss easy to post. Add one and the vast majority will leave or just simply stop posting and you'll be left with a barren wasteland of shitposters who didn't care and kept going and literal SA tier 'WE R BETTER THAN THEM WE SURVIVED THE ACCOUNT HOLOCAUST' elitist.

Account systems stop nothing and the only reason people use it is for identification.
>>
>>478677
>Now please explain how opening 10minutemail.com and refreshing the page to get a mew address every time you get a b& is harder than walking off to your router (or logging into it) resetting it, waiting for it to come back online, then waiting for wireless to come back
Because, just like proxies and VPNs, not everyone uses or knows how to use them.

>I would leave because I do not wished to be forced to provide identification to 4chan
You give up your identification the second you post. Privacy is dead in the modern world.
>>
>>478677
Wouldn't an account stop working after 10 minutes if you did use that site? It would be a huge pain in the ass to be logged out every 10 minutes.
>>
>>478707
>Most people come to 4chan because it doesn't have an account system
No, most people come to 4chan to be in the epic meme threads they heard about on facebook. They're still anonymous where they actually want to be.
>piss easy to post
Solving a captcha every time you post is much more annoying than practically every site without them.
You're vastly overestimating how many people actually care. This isn't some secret club anymore. Normalfags come in every single day hoping to create their own meme on /v/ or /b/.
>>
>>478636
Just leave the site then if that's the way you think things work. Go to your great email-activated account websites where you can speak with people without anonymity, if that's what you want. But it will never be 4chan. Being a newfag is fine, but please don't think you have any say when you clearly have no idea how anything here works.

tl;dr - lurk more faggot
>>
>>478715
See, you should relook at your post. You LITERALLY just said that the people who wouldn't care if a account system was added is shitposters and epic mem masturs. You aren't helping yourself.

People who aren't those shitposters and fagbook kiddies, come here BECAUSE it is anonymous and lacks the account feature. It is the very reason they post. If you added the account system, pretty much none of them would post and you would kill everything that has ever made 4chan good. 'Quality' isn't such an important thing to strive for that we must sacrifice everything good and valuable just to achieve it.

Kill yourself /q/tard.
>>
>>478719
You didn't even bring up an argument. You simply went "oh yeah! Well that's how it is!". You're not making points, you're waving away all points directed at you.
>>
>>478722
That's because there isn't a need for an argument here. In the wise words of older 4chan, mods and moot, don't like it how it is here, piss off.
>>
File: 1446965141543.png (234 KB, 1187x901) Image search: [Google]
1446965141543.png
234 KB, 1187x901
>>478724
>there isn't need of an argument on a board dedicated to discussion
>>
>>478725
Kill yourself, /q/tard.
>>
>>478726
You first, cutie.
>>
>>478720
You realize actual oldfags are practically nonexistent, right? The oldfags that leave wouldn't change the dynamic of the site one bit, we would be practically the same as we are now if they left. Actual oldfags are probably in the 1-5% range of the population on this site now.

>come here BECAUSE it is anonymous and lacks the account feature
You would still be anonymous in the eyes of others, and you wouldn't have a username. It's not accounts people don't want, it's the ability to attentionwhore and judge users on previous posts.
>>
>>478354
Shadowbanning would create a massive server strain with how 4chan functions. It would at least double the existing load. It's not a viable option.

>>478712
No website monitors the continued existence of an email address. The email address has to exist long enough to receive the verification email address and no longer. If I made a Facebook account and verity it, I can then bomb that email address and have no issues at all.

>>478325
You'd reduce shitposting because posting overall would be reduced. The percentage would likely be the same. Anyone that knows enough to reset their router knows enough to make a new account.

One of 4chan's primary draws is that you can just jump in and post immediately if an idea enters your head. Without that, and considering a fair amount of people just don't want the extra account, the only thing affected would be the size of the overall userbase. It may recover, but that's extrapolating too far to tell.

>>478336
>Making the site more annoying to use
Same problem as above. You'd just be reducing the userbase, not the percentage of shitposters.
>>
>>478731
>has been proven wrong so he pulls out the good old OLDFAGS ARET HERE ANYMORE FUCKING NEWFAGS to try and state he is correct
Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>478719
>But it will never be 4chan.
There was tons of shit that would "never be 4chan" 10 years ago which 4chan has today.
>>
>>478734
But I gave an absolutely correct answer. New users increase by the day, and they outnumber oldfags by the millions. Oldfags leaving wouldn't do anything, we'd still have practically the same amount of users. Board culture wouldn't change drastically either since everyone would still act like they're oldfags like they do today.

You aren't giving out an actual argument.
>>
moot is rolling in his grave over this fucking thread
self-entitled newfags are the worst kind of cancer
>>
How about just using the report function and ignoring bait?
>>
>>478736
>it is only oldfags that care about the system the site uses
The only one without a argument is you, since you are projecting.

> Oldfags leaving wouldn't do anything, we'd still have practically the same amount of users. Board culture wouldn't change drastically
You really truly have never used fucking traditional forums and the like have you? The only people who win in account systems is ironfisted mods, attention whores and shitposters. That is it.

Truly pathetic.
>change this thing i dont like because i said so
Maybe you should just go back to >>>/q/ where you belong?
>>
Everyday I find another thread that almost (almost) makes me wish this board were deleted.
>>
>>478742
>projecting
You have no idea what that means.

>The only people who win in account systems is ironfisted mods, attention whores and shitposters. That is it.
>implying we don't already have ironfisted mods
Anyway, not true at all. Especially when the account is left as anonymous instead of requiring a name. You're applying examples that have no application here. There would still be the same amount of attention whores, and linking an email would detract low effort shtposters.

>>478742
>Maybe you should just go back to >>>/q/ where you belong?
You know /q/ is dead right? And that we're on /qa/?
>>
>>478746
>you know /q/ is dead?
yes. and do you know why? imbecile.
>>
>>478748
Because Moot was dumb.
>>
>>478750
wew lad
>>
>>478746
>You have no idea what that means.
No, I know what it means. You are very clearly projecting your lack of care onto everyone else who is new.

>You know /q/ is dead right? And that we're on /qa/?
>being so new you dont even understand what im fucking saying
It was deleted for a reason and you should fuck back off to it. Retards like you are pure cancer. An account system 4chan will just become SA.
>>
>>478753
>No, I know what it means. You are very clearly projecting your lack of care onto everyone else who is new
Not really. Just like you, I'm assuming these things without absolute facts.
You seem to think people only come to 4chan because of fast posting and no accounts, whereas I think people only come to 4chan for the fact there is almost no attentionwhoring and everyone can be as much of an asshole as they want with no way of people knowing it's the same person. Neither of us know what exactly everyone comes here for.

>It was deleted for a reason and you should fuck back off to it
How could I go to a board that was deleted? The only reason it was deleted was because it was filled with people shitposting, which is a bad reason to delete a board in the first place. The only people that wanted /q/ gone were ones that wanted to stay ignorant to the fact people didn't like things about the site. Having /qa/ is much better than meta discussion threads on each and every board.

>An account system 4chan will just become SA
Prove it. It would be the exact same thing except you have to type an email out in the beginning.
>>
>>478325
It wouldn't do shit when I can just make a bunch of throwaway accounts.

The only way to really kill the bulk of shitposting is to properly moderate the site and make it a more hostile environment for newtards and trendy reactionaries coming here to to be the "ruse legends" they're too scared to be on facebook
>>
File: 1458965690770.jpg (129 KB, 807x861) Image search: [Google]
1458965690770.jpg
129 KB, 807x861
Y'know, people always say the same two things, because they actually work really fucking amazingly
>autoban consolewar terms
>autoban ecelebs
>delete Twitter threads

But NOOOO, who fucking wants those ideas. What we need is a LOGIN SYSTEM on an ANONYMOUS FUCKING WEBSITE, or god forbid this shit >>478336 >>478423.

Fuck you guys. Fuck all of you guys.
>>
>>478636
>making new emails
>easier
>than unplugging your router
Oh my god, you are STUPID.

Ban evading right now requires you to go into your routers page to edit setting, restarting your entire router and modem setup, and deleting your cookies. All I would have to do to ban evade on 4chan with login is make 40 different accounts all with email.

Mods, disregard this dumbass.
>>
File: 1440997914319.gif (348 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
1440997914319.gif
348 KB, 500x310
>>478774
>make the site an even more hostile environment
That's not what we need at all for a site dedicated to discussion. Most actual discussion boards like /a/ are already filled with no one actually discussing anything. It's all just people shitposting each other trying to win arguments by claiming random post styles are indications of newfags. Hardly any lasting discussion can be had anymore.
>>
>>478784
>Most actual discussion boards like /a/ are already filled with no one actually discussing anything
Okay, so you don't browse /a/?
Good, now fuck off.
>>
>>478785
Rude.
>>
>>478784
>i dont even know what im talking about the post

>>478779
First one is mostly right, anon. The convenience features were one of the worst mistakes moot made. They should of never been made native.
>>
>>478786
So you make a thread with a dumb idea for fixing shitposting, then you shitpost yourself.

By now your own fucking system would have banned you.
>>
>>478787
I was referring to that last point, which is literally "I want 4chan to die by killing off 3 of the biggest income boards and more"
>>
>>478784
There's nothing wrong with hostile environments if it cultivates the culture the existing users want. 4chan is the way it is today partially because of a hostile environment. /a/, however, is a good example of where it went wrong. They're in the same boat as /v/ though the hostility is directed elsewhere.
>>
>>478783
>All I would have to do to ban evade on 4chan with login is make 40 different accounts all with email
And you would have to make 40 more once those are banned.

>Ban evading right now requires you to go into your routers page to edit setting, restarting your entire router and modem setup, and deleting your cookies
This is such bullshit. If you're using mobile you simply put it on airplane mode and take it off. And for computers all I have to do is unplug my router and delete history. Not to mention proxies are a thing.

>>478789
That poster wasn't me. Learn how to read new IPs.
>>
>>478792
>delete history
It's delete cookies. Your history doesn't make a lick of difference.
>>
>>478793
I'm aware. It's in the history section of most browser settings though.
>>
>>478792
>And you would have to make 40 more once those are banned.
No you wouldn't, as you can automate email creation and someone will write shit up to automate account creation.
>>
>>478795
>automate account creation.
That's what the captcha is supposed to be for. Hiro would have to be retarded not to use it.
>>
>>478336
kill yourself
>>
>>478792
Thank god it takes literally
30 SECONDS
to make a new email. All you would have to do to undo your ban is make a new email and get out their and do it again. Did you just get a fucking lobotomy or are you naturally retarded?

>If you're using mobile you simply put it on airplane mode and take it off. And for computers all I have to do is unplug my router and delete history. Not to mention proxies are a thing.
Proxies don't work on 4chan, you just get a 2 month ban if you try.
Mobile can be used one or twice before you server just gets banned
And deleting your history doesn't do shit, you imbecile.
Have you even been banned before?
>>
>>478795
Just like how some people are able to ban evade in a matter of seconds because of the way they're set up. You can't remove dedicated shitposters, but low effort ones are a lot of the problem.
>>
>>478796
Captcha can be cached and is incredibly easy to solve. Captcha stops fucking nothing.
>>
>>478798
>Have you even been banned before?>>
He's a rulefag, anon. Of course he hasn't, he follows the rules to the letter and believes there should be no deviations. Why else would he suggest something retarded like an account system on an anon image board?
>>
>>478715
>This isn't some secret club anymore. Normalfags come in every single day hoping to create their own meme on /v/ or /b/.
So you are saying your system would ditch the users who come for anonymous discussion, and replace it with people who want to consolewar and shitpost memes.

Dude, you just disproved your own system. Delete your thread.
>>
>>478798
>And deleting your history doesn't do shit, you imbecile.
You're grasping. You know for a fact I meant unplugging the router and deleting cookies.

>All you would have to do to undo your ban is make a new email and get out their and do it again.
Not if it banned IPs along with it. Make shitposting more annoying to do than it's worth and you've solved the problem.
>>
>>478800
That's why we have thousands of spambots running on 4chan right now. Oh wait.

No, Captcha solves automated account creation issue. It makes a human required in the mix. Which isn't to say making more accounts when you're banned isn't piss easy. I'd consider it significantly less effort than changing your IP.
>>
>>478803
>you are saying your system would ditch the users who come for anonymous discussion, and replace it with people who want to consolewar and shitpost memes.
There would still be anonymous posting. Read the OP. Having to link an Email would change nothing in terms of attentionwhores with usernames.
>>
>>478804
>You know for a fact I meant unplugging the router and deleting cookies.
>I was pretending to be retarded

>Not if it banned IPs along with it.
So now what I have to do is reset my router, aka THE SAME FUCKING SHIT I CAN DO ALREADY, and spam emails. You made literally no difference except now you're forcing an account system on an anonymous image board and scaring away the people you wanted to please.

Wow. Way to go, anon.
>>
>>478808
>you still are anonymous, you just have to give your email and make an account!
This isn't what people come to 4chan for you fucken mongrel.

This is a great plan if you want people to use 8ch.
>>
>>478812
But Anon. He replaced a low effort barrier with a low effort + no effort barrier. That makes shitposting more trouble than it's worth and doesn't at all discourage non-shitposters!
>>
>>478812
>So now what I have to do is reset my router, aka THE SAME FUCKING SHIT I CAN DO ALREADY, and spam emails. You made literally no difference except now you're forcing an account system on an anonymous image board and scaring away the people you wanted to please
The whole point is to add more walls and make it more annoying to shitpost than it's worth. Why have any bans at all if people can get through it with enough effort? Just get rid of bans all together because they can be avoided!
Tell me, how does linking an email not make you anonymous in the eyes of the users?
>>
>only those who are willing to make an account on a ANONYMOUS IMAGE BOARD are considered quality posters even if they arent and everyone else is a shitposter regardless of high quality posting they do
What a nice thread.
>>
>>478813
>is isn't what people come to 4chan for you fucken mongrel
>le projecting
You realize you aren't actually anonymous here, right? Mods could give out your information any time. Having to just link an email doesn't even necessarily create an account. No posts would be saved to it, there would be no way for people to know you're the same person every post. I seriously hope you're just acting dumb to try to make a point.
>>
>>478816
>The whole point is to add more walls
See, this is how everyone knows you are a fucking retard and very clearly new to online communities. Adding more walls doesn't make for a better community, nor does it remove even low effort trolls or shitposters. The only thing it does is make an incredibly elitist community with their head stuck up their arse and doing it to 4chan would truly kill everything good about the site. 4chan isn't serious and if you want your SUPER SERIOUS shit, fuck off somewhere else.
>>
>>478816
>lol i'm going to just stack as much useless shit together and call it "security"
Dude, ban evasion is a pain in the ass. Having to get my ass up to reset a router and editing its settings is a pain in the ass. Making an email system isn't hard, ESPECIALLY if you have 30 in stock and know how to shitpost long enough without getting banned. All you did was add a few centimeters to the wall. No one is going to post on 4chan except memers and shitposters if an account system is made.

>>478820
>No posts would be saved to it, there would be no way for people to know you're the same person every post
Its like you don't know how the internet works lmao
>>
>>478820
>The only thing it does is make an incredibly elitist community
Are we not on the same site? Elitism is the backbone of 4chan. How would it even create more elitism?

>Adding more walls doesn't make for a better community, nor does it remove even low effort trolls or shitposters
Then why have bans at all? You want to remove the banning feature for the site? You say people would leave because it wouldn't be as easy to post, but then you go on and say it's a very low effort wall easily gone through.
>>
>>478819
> Having to just link an email doesn't even necessarily create an account.
An account is a collection of information related to an entity. Your IP, email, and validation cookie is a collection of information. It could be a table with two columns in a database and it's still an account. Aside from everything else this is simply incorrect.
>>
>>478821
mean't to reply to
>>478819
>>
>>478821
>No one is going to post on 4chan except memers and shitposters if an account system is made.
There are a lot of people who have been here for years who still don't have anywhere to better go.

Not that a lot of them aren't memers and shitposters, but still.

>>478821
By combining account registration, IP tracking and mandatory new-account wait times you can put a huge fucking wall in front of anyone without an actual botnet.

It would strangle the inflow of incoming users and piss a lot of existing people, but you could do it.
>>
>>478822
>all this strawmanning

> How would it even create more elitism?
>he doesnt even know
You truly have never used any other actual online community before. No wonder you actually believe account systems do anything.
>>
>>478822
>whaaat? you don't want an inconvenient system that ruins the purpose of 4chan that doesn't help security
>I guess you just want to ban banning don't you???
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>478826
Name another online community that has problems with multiple people spamming CP on it every day.
>>
>>478792
>That poster wasn't me. Learn how to read new IPs.
Jesus fucking christ. Why are you still here. You're a lost fucking cause, come back in a couple years once you have lurked a bit.
>>
>>478821
>No one is going to post on 4chan except memers and shitposters if an account system is made
Why? If it's such an easy thing to do, why would anyone leave? Like I've said, you're still anonymous to the people you're talking to.

>Its like you don't know how the internet works lmao
Are the anonymoos hackers going to release all my posts to 4chin? Once a thread 404s, it's deleted. The archives are only given posts, not the information behind the posters.
>>
>>478825
>this entire post
lurk moar
>>
>>478828
Man, if people spamming CP keeps people like you away from 4chan, I'll take all the CP I can get.
>>
File: 1334252234941.png (76 KB, 638x599) Image search: [Google]
1334252234941.png
76 KB, 638x599
I think it would be a good idea too

Useful for enacting shadowbanning
>>
>>478827
How is it inconvenient and how does it get rid of anonymous posting?

>>478826
So you have no argument, got it.
>>
>>478825
Do you think the people who have been here since 2003 would appreciate anonymity being removed?

No, they would move right along to 8ch.
>mandatory new-account wait times
No one is going to use a website that takes 20 days to join. In the modern age, websites like Tumblr and Facebook are just sign up and join. 4chans growth would be stunted because why would you wait for a website to let you in, when you can just use Reddit.

Everything else, still just avoidable by IP changing, but OOOOOHHHH NOOOOO I have to register an account that takes like 10
>>
>>478835
>change it CHANGE HOW THE VERY CORE STRUCTURE OF THE SITE WORKS I DONT LIKE IT it will fix very problem because im an idiot who has never used any other online community and believe account system and a bunch of stupid walls fix every problem and improve the quality of everything
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478833
Jokes on you, I'm the one spamming.
>>
>>478835
>how does making an account and registering you to a userbase get rid of anonymous posting
>how does having to make an account and give up your anonymity act as an inconvenience

Give up already.
>>
>>478835
Lurk more.
>>
>>478836
>would appreciate anonymity being removed?
How does it remove anonymity? No one has been able to answer this. You're just as trackable posting with your email linked as you are right now.

>>478838
Why have walls at all if they don't do anything? Why ban people if they can just evade?
>>
>>478836
>Do you think the people who have been here since 2003 would appreciate anonymity being removed?
You're equally anonymous to users and less anonymous to mods, but the mods can already see who you are and generally where you live. I don't know how much the people who have been here since 2003 think but I feel like if you've put up with all of 4chan's garbage until now you're here for life.

>4chans growth would be stunted
No dispute there.
>>
>>478842
>Why have walls at all if they don't do anything? Why ban people if they can just evade?
>strawmanning
>>
>>478841
Nice meme.

>>478840
>how does having to make an account and give up your anonymity act as an inconvenience
Who are you giving anonimity up to? The Mods that can easily give out your information already?
>>
>>478844
Not a strawman. Why put up any walls if they can easily be hurdled?
>>
>>478845
Lurk more.
>>
>>478846
Why do you breathe if you are going to die anyway?
>>
>>478840
Nigger you realise you're not really anonymous right now, right? The mods have all the information they need from you the second you post.
>>
>>478831
>people who use the site for anonymous discussion leave because of their anonymity being revoked
>people who stay for discussion with anons leave because of the decrease in quality and increase in shitposting
>only thing left is /b/, aka shitposters

>>478842
>>478845
>implying mods can throw personal information out in the open like that
>implying people want to throw their information and label themselves even if its "still anonymous"
>>
>>478849
Lurk more.
>>
>>478849
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478850
>implying mods can throw personal information out in the open like that
>implying people want to throw their information and label themselves even if its "still anonymous"
>implying this feature would show your email to all the users on 4chan
>implying mods would give your email to random 4chan users
>implying you'd be labeled to anyone other than the mods, which you already are right now
>>
>>478842
Banning doesn't inconvenience the normal user and inconveniences the banned user. Your extra walls inconvenience the normal user and add barely any inconvenience to the banned user.
>>
>>478853
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478843
>but I feel like if you've put up with all of 4chan's garbage until now you're here for life.
Think about it like this:
America has gone through some shit, but nothing has taken away freedom of speech. So just because they've dealt with all the bad shit, do you think Americans would appreciated the removal of the core aspect their country was founded on?

No? Then why would people tolerate the core aspect of their website being revoked?

>>478849
Its mostly just IP though
And "YOU ARE ALREADY BEING WATCHED JUST GIVE IN" sounds like the kind of shit a suspicious government shill would say to promote spying on people.
>>
>>478848
To live longer. You're afraid of death so you want to postpone it as long as possible.

>>478854
>Your extra walls inconvenience the normal user and add barely any inconvenience to the banned user
How does entering an email, or even just using autofil/remember inconvenience the user at all?
>>
I'm pretty oldfag and I think it's a good idea.

The people against it seem to be 8gag shitworshippers that worry they'll be put in a ball-pit with only their own kind
>>
>>478853
>just give in anon you are already being watched
I'm with the faggot spamming "lurk moar", you are denser than a black hole and deserve this thread to be shitposted
>>
>>478857
>How does entering an email, or even just using autofil/remember inconvenience the user at all?
>Refuting your own argument
This is. Wow. It's been a long time.
>>
You're already giving all your post info to google every time you post.
>>
>>478858
2 years doesn't count as oldfag, and if you actually are an oldfag, you're the cancer that's been here for too long and needs to die.
>>
>>478856
>Its mostly just IP though
And an IP is less important than a throwaway email any smart user would make?

>>478859
Read above.
>>
>>478857
You didn't answer the question. Why are you afraid of death? You are going to die anyway.. Why try to live longer? You are going to die anyway.
>>
>>478858
Haha holy shit OP, nice samefag
Lurk moar
>>
>>478860
How does it hurt you at all to login once? It's about as unconventional as solving one captcha.
>>
>>478862
>you're probably not an oldfag but if you are oldfags should be discounted

lol, righto
Lots of cockroaches running for cover at the idea of accounts and shadowbanning
>>
>>478863
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478864
Because I'm scared of death. I run from it like I would with anything I'm scared of.
>>
>>478863
>look mom I samefagged!
Why would I take someone who spams "le 8fag boogerman" seriously anyway?

>And an IP is less important than a throwaway email any smart user would make?
You do know its most likely the mods DON'T see you IP, and its just a button with "ban user" on it?
>>
>>478871
>You do know its most likely the mods DON'T see you IP, and its just a button with "ban user" on it?
[citation needed]
Anyone that runs the site can see your IP.
>>
>>478868
You can already shadowban on 4chan, newfag.
God kill yourself already
>>
>>478870
But why are you scared of it? Why bother running away from it, you are going to fucking die anyway? You aren't answering the question.
>>
>>478872
Which is the web dev and Hiro
>>
>>478872
Then where is the citation mods can see your IP, nigga.

If anything, Hiro has to dig through the code to look for IPs, and lets face it, if the motherfucker can't even enable sounds on webms what the fuck makes you think he is going to do that?
>>
>>478874
I absolutely answered the question. Fear keeps me away from the things I'm scared of. I'm not brave enough to face it right now.
>>
>>478876
>>478877
Who can give out your information any time that it's needed. How could you say the mods could see your email in this same scenario?
>>
>>478856
Gawker vs. Hulk Hogan tells us that people will declare things of no First Amendment value when they feel like it.

That said, >>478863 has the right of it.

>>478871
I am fairly sure mods can see your IP. It's practically mandatory if you want to have a chance in hell of catching ban evaders. In the old days if you were appealing a ban through IRC (good luck not getting instabanned now) they asked you to give your IP address.
>>
>>478879
Them knowing my IP is much less of a privacy intrusion than me having to make an account - especially since IP's change based on location and computer.
>>
>>478877
>f the motherfucker can't even enable sounds on webms
>4chan is a image board, not a video board
- Hiro
>>
>>478881
>Them knowing my IP is much less of a privacy intrusion than me having to make an account
How is a link to an email account that you could make specifically for 4chan more of a privacy intrusion than knowing where you live?
>>
>>478857
In the same way that it's an inconvenience for banned users. Except that banned users are usually already invested, so the inconvenience is mitigated by that investment. Potential new users on the other hand, aren't, so it's a much larger inconvenience. So you'd have less users in general, since while you may think the percentage is less or more, it'd still be a fair amount of people that would refuse, with less incoming newfags that could be quality posters, and more shitposters since they're the people most invested in the website.

I don't know why you think this is a positive move. I'd actually be more interested in 2chan's ninja account system. I'd really be interested in knowing more about how that works. Though that'd certainly get a large backlash as well since it'd tie posts together.
>>
>>478885
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478885
Because they can then track every single one of my posts to my account, regardless of anything. The current system is not full anonymity, but it's more anonymity than tying down your posts to an email handle - even if it's hidden.
It's not that hard of a concept to grasp. Basically, lurk more.
>>
>>478882
>I'm a lazy gook
- Hiro

>>478880
>Gawker vs. Hulk Hogan tells us that people will declare things of no First Amendment value when they feel like it.
>I don't know how the law works lol

Also, if you ever, EVER get banned for evasion, then I can say you are on the same level as people who fall for system 32 or that one fake crystal recipe. The only way you can get banned for evasion, is if you fucking SAY you are evading.

You sound like you have been here for more than 2 years, but I still keep my doubts

>>478879
If the entire point of registering email is to mark people easier, then of fucking course it would be visible to mods

>>478885
>than knowing where you live?
holy shit you're dumb
>>
dat "lurk moar" tantrum
>>
>>478886
>Except that banned users are usually already invested, so the inconvenience is mitigated by that investment
Ban evaders would need to enter their new email every time they're banned, a normal user can just have it set up to be remembered the next time they get on.

>with less incoming newfags that could be quality posters, and more shitposters since they're the people most invested in the website
This is silly. How is linking your email and setting it to remember the next time you come on intrusive?

>>478888
>Because they can then track every single one of my posts to my account, regardless of anything
Do you even know how this site works? After a thread 404s it's gone. The only way to see the posts again would be to look in a 3rd party archive, which wouldn't have the information.
>>
>>478891
lurk moar
>>
>>478891
>>478892
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478892
>This is silly. How is linking your email and setting it to remember the next time you come on intrusive?
In the same way it's a 'wall' to the banned user you nitwit. You keep arguing against your own points.
>>
>>478890
>I don't know how the law works lol
Explain to me then how "un-newsworthiness" has been a historically unprotected category of speech.

>The only way you can get banned for evasion, is if you fucking SAY you are evading.
I've seen suspects post pictures of their ban evasion bans because it's obvious who they are.
>>
>>478891
Lurk more.
>>
>>478892
>Linking your email isn't an issue to a new user!
>Linking your email is an issue to a banned user!
Get your story straight.
>>
>>478892
>Ban evaders would need to enter their new email every time they're banned
Typing an email isn't fucken hard, sweetie

>This is silly. How is linking your email and setting it to remember the next time you come on intrusive?
The people who want discussion aren't going to join, because having to make an account is literally no different from Reddit. The anonymity is taken away

The only people who are left are people who join because its 4chan and they wanna b cool. Take a wild guess what kind of content they bring with them
>>
>>478892
Lurk more.
>>
>>478895
>>478898
I just told you how it's a wall to ban evaders and not to normal users. A normal user just sets it to remember, a ban evader has to enter a new one in every time he gets banned.

>>478899
>Typing an email isn't fucken hard
Then why call it intrusive at all?
>>
>>478899
>The anonymity is taken away
You are equally anonymous to users and less anonymous to mods who can see who you are anyway.
>>
>>478896
>because it's obvious who they are.
Exactly.
You have to be a fucking IDIOT to be banned for evasion.
>>
>>478899
>The anonymity is taken away
The anonymity is exactly the same because a username would not be required. Read the thread.
>>
ITT: not enough lurking
>>
>>478901
I just told you how it's a wall to ban evaders and not to normal users. A normal user just sets it to remember, a ban evader has to enter a new one in every time he gets banned.
>It's not an inconvenience, it's just an inconvenience
Well. This is the third time you contradicted yourself in the same sentence in a row. I guess you're just stuck on repeat.
>>
>>478908
How is it inconvenient to type your email once compared to someone who has to make several emails and type them in every time they get banned? The system would discourage low effort shitposters who aren't going to make 20 emails to go "lol u mad bro?". There is no possible system available that will get rid of someone who wants to shitpost enough.
>>
>>478901
Lurk more.
>>
>>478909
>>478908
Not to mention shadowbans could be used with the system implemented. A shitposter could go a whole day without even knowing he was banned.
>>
>>478909
>>478911
Lurk more faggot.
>>
File: b8.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>478901
Because having to set up an account, waiting a week, logging in every week and having """"anonymous discussion"""" is intrusive. I could go to any other website for the same shit

>>478904
>>478902
So instead your username is being shown to a mod?

What exactly is the fucking point to this? All that will happen is
>make a name
>shitpost
>get banned
>make another name
>shitpost again
>get IP banned
>reset and make a new name
>shitpost again
>lather rinse repeat
Meanwhile, people are going to feel awkward knowing a mod is looking at every single post they have made and put into a system. Keep in mind mods most likely CAN'T do this already, since every other website system only adds buttons, which is most likely what 4chan does as well.

You are the cancer killing 4chan. If you unironically support this, fuck off.
>>
>>478911
>A shitposter could go a whole day without even knowing he was banned.
Uh, anon.....
do you, know what a shadowban is?

How do you still post if you are banned?
>>
>>478909
Because the posts you quoted specified new users, which are subject to the exact same thing banned users would be to. A barrier to entry is a barrier to entry. A barrier that is mitigated for shitposters.

>>478911
Not really. The way 4chan and 4chan-like systems are built shadowbanning functionality would increase server load drastically. Unless Hiro gets a windfall and decides to invest it all in just that one feature that's unlikely.
>>
>>478911
>implying we don't already have those
Well, pack your bags everyone, OP is a samefagging newfag
>>
>>478914
Do YOU know what a shadowban is? It allows you to post, but no one but you can see the post.
>>
Reminder the only argument for the account system is
>it will improve the overall posting quality because i said so!!!

>>478911
>hellbans
Literally cancer. One of the most pathetic ban types ever created.
>>
>>478917
1. If you are on a rowdy board, you will notice no one is taking the bait and either give up shitposting or realize "oh fuk I'm ban"

2. If you are on a quiet board, it would not be that hard to detect a pattern

3. Why can this be done without anonymity? Just have it latch onto the IP

4. Why do you want this place to become Reddit so bad? Everyone is fine with the boards current hardware and system except you.
>>
>>478913
>Because having to set up an account, waiting a week, logging in every week and having """"anonymous discussion"""" is intrusive. I could go to any other website for the same shit
What? You would be about as anonymous as you are and it's not intrusive at all to have you type an email out once a week or not even more than once.

>which are subject to the exact same thing banned users would be to. A barrier to entry is a barrier to entry. A barrier that is mitigated for shitposters.
Typing your email once is as hard to do as solving one captcha. A new user is not going to stop coming here because he has to type an email out once. Shitposters, however, need to make multiple email accounts and switch between them.

>>478916
Give me even the slightest bit of evidence we do, anon.

>>478918
>Literally cancer
>waah! people won't notice me if it's a thing!
>>
>>478920
>It's not an inconvenience, it's just an inconvenience
>>
>>478920
>>waah! people won't notice me if it's a thing!
Lurk moar

Hell bans are a pathetic ban type as it is nothing more than a passive aggressive way of saying 'i dont like you'. It's a fucking pathetic and cowardly system used by faggots. If you are going to ban someone, man the fuck up and ban them, not just hide them away like a little pisshead fagbook kiddie who blocks people because they disagreed with him.
>>
>>478921
>captchas are an inconvenience, so I'll just go to a place that has accounts only!
By your logic no one would ever come here to post.
>>
>>478922
You sound upset.
>>
>>478920
>You would be about as anonymous as you are and it's not intrusive at all
Its not intrusive having someone look at your entire post history simply by name? Thats pretty fucking intrusive.

>type an email out once a week
Oh look, thats how often you use 4chan

>A new user is not going to stop coming here because he has to type an email out once
They will, since Captcha doesn't give up anonymity
>>
>>478924
See anon, this is shitposting
You would be Redditbanned right now, and you would have to make a new account and wait a year.
>>
>>478919
> you will notice no one is taking the bait and either give up shitposting or realize "oh fuk I'm ban"
Exactly, you'll give up shitposting because no one is biting. Most shitposters that are just putting out bait are low effort that wouldn't make tons of email accounts just to shitpost anyway.
>>
>>478923
That is indeed correct. A captcha on a post box is indeed less of a barrier to entry than account creation, no matter how streamlined.

Though really, you intended to get rid of post-captchas? Man, the spam that'd ensue...
>>
>>478924
>anon who is really upset that 4chan isnt his personal dicksucking hugbox with an account system calling someone else update
>>
>>478926
Not every ban has to be a shadowban.
>>
>>478928
> A captcha on a post box is indeed less of a barrier to entry than account creation, no matter how streamlined
Are you just playing dumb? Having an account that I type in the information once and can post for life without solving a single captcha is much less intrusive than posting a captcha every time.

>Though really, you intended to get rid of post-captchas
Nope. Keep captchas the same.
>>
>>478930
How would 4chan change? You'd still be anonymous to everyone. There would be no usernames like other sites.
>>
>>478934
>Are you just playing dumb? Having an account that I type in the information once and can post for life without solving a single captcha is much less intrusive than posting a captcha every time.
>Nope. Keep captchas the same.

I don't even know what you're trying to say any more. Keep them the same but not have to solve them ever again. You just really can't keep what you're trying to do straight in your head can you?
>>
>>478939
I'm saying having a user account on a different site (funnyjunk, for example) that doesn't require captcha if you're logged in is much less intrusive than being in anon mode having to solve a captcha every time they post.

Now, if it was here, you simply link an email and it remembers this. You still have to solve captchas. That is not intrusive at all.
>>
>>478927
Oh shit, good point.
Oh no wait, this is the website where a word is banned every week because people are reactionary. So yeah, the chances of someone being "ignored', not fucking likely
>>
>>478943
>banned every week
Come on now.
>So yeah, the chances of someone being "ignored', not fucking likely
I've seen tons of bait ignored.
>>
File: 1448991927584.jpg (20 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
1448991927584.jpg
20 KB, 400x393
I have this tingling feeling that certain people in this thread should lurk more.
>>
>>478941
Oh. So you're comparing 4chan to other completely different sites based on a single attribute. Alright. Completely irrelevant but alright. I guess that's all that's left then. Most everything you say has contradicted itself, so I'm not really needed here.
>>
Hey OP, make your own forum then if you think you know what's best. Surely if it's such a good idea, it'll be a hit! Remember to advertise it everywhere on 4chan too so you get banned and we don't have to see you around again.
>>
I think you people are being a bit dramatic

1. you would still be anonymous where it counts. You're not technically anonymous right now, and even then mods are not going to give out your trash email simply instead of your IP if FBI ask

2. having an 'account' would not be intrusive one bit. You enter an email once and that would be it. for a dedicated shitposter their emails would get banned and they can't use that email anymore for a while. Only the most dedicated shitposters would make tons of email accounts and make tons more once theirs are banned.
>>
>>478952
Lurk more.
>>
worst thread in days congrats
>>
>>478952
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478947
>Oh. So you're comparing 4chan to other completely different sites based on a single attribute
I'm comparing a generic account system to the account system in this hypothetical scenario, you fucking idiot. I was telling you how an account system is much, much less intrusive than solving a captcha every time you post. If you think linking an email once is intrusive, you wouldn't be posting on 4chan at all because of the captcha system.

>>478949
>Hey OP, make your own forum then if you think you know what's best
Why would I do that? Is /qa/ not for asking questions? I asked how people would feel if this was added.
>>
>>478945
>implying
>BAN NIGGERSPEAK
>>NOW BAN KEK
>>>NOW BAN REDDIT
>>>>NOW BAN SJW
Its like a snowball of just fucking butthurt. Trust me, it is NOT hard to get reactions.

>>478952
>ITS ONLY PARTIAL ANONYMITY BUT ITS STILL THEIR
The FBI doesn't even NEED mods to get IPs. They can do it themselves.

Spamming your disproven shit doesn't make you right

>>478957
>Why would I do that? Is /qa/ not for asking questions? I asked how people would feel if this was added.
And we're telling you to fuck off. Seriously, go make your own website and see if it does good.
>>
>>478779
>autoban consolewar terms
All of them? How are the mods supposed to autoban EVERY SINGLE consolewar term? Sure, you could autoban terms like "nintenyearold," "pcuck," "sonypony," etc., but then they'll come up with something new and probably stupider. It'll get to the point where you can't even name a company without getting banned automatically.

>autoban ecelebs
Again, how do you suggest autobanning every single eceleb? Filtering their image MD5s? Shitposters will just put a tiny black dot on the image like with frogposting. Filtering their names? There's just too many of them and there will always be new ones to shitpost about every day.

>delete twitter threads
Well what do you think the mods are trying to fucking do? Deleting threads on /v/ in general is like trying to plug a leak in a wooden boat. Good job, you got rid of one shitpost, but now all the chronic shitposters with God complexes are going to get huffy because "I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO FUNPOST, JANITORS ARE PATHETIC COMPARED TO ME" and will start making new threads even faster with even less meaningful content.

Honestly, I think what /v/ really needs is even more rangebans. Just ban Australia, ban Germany, ban all mobile IPs, I don't even care. The people who make the same shitpost threads repeatedly aren't even trying to hide it at this point. If by the end of it, the only people who are allowed to post on /v/ are a small neighborhood in Quebec, well maybe it's for the best.
>>
>>478957
>I asked how people would feel if this was added.
And we're telling you that you're a faggot and need to lurk more.
>>
>>478957
>Why would I do that? Is /qa/ not for asking questions? I asked how people would feel if this was added.
Yea and we are telling you are a fucking idiot and should fuck off you /q/tard.
>>
>>478962
>The FBI doesn't even NEED mods to get IPs. They can do it themselves
Okay, but what does that have anything to do with it? You aren't losing any anonymity at all in this situation.

>And we're telling you to fuck off. Seriously, go make your own website and see if it does good.
But why don't you ignore the thread if you don't like it? All I'm doing is clearing up misconceptions.
>>
>>478969
Lurk more.
>>
>>478969
Lurk moar.
>>
>>478966
>>478967
Good for you. And all I'm doing is clearing up misconceptions since all you seem to be able to do is scream about how you won't be anonymous. Are you even old enough to know you can't be anonymous on the internet?
>>
>>478969
>But why don't you ignore the thread if you don't like it?
>dont post in my thread if you dont agree with me
>>
>>478963
>How are the mods supposed to autoban EVERY SINGLE consolewar term?
PCuck
Sonygger
Sonypony
Nintendrone
Nintenyearold
Nintoddler
Xbot
Never Ever
Its not fair
(X) is through
Its finished

That is all of the terms. All they need is their main discussion to be banned and for them to be banned. If they want to go all the way to evade and make new words then fuck go ahead.

>Again, how do you suggest autobanning every single eceleb?
Jontron
Gamegrumps
Markiplier
DSP
TwoBestFriends
Wooly
Arin
Jon
Danny
Pewdiepie
FilthyFrank
H3H3
Leafy

Thats most of the library. Anything else can fall under advertising.

The last stuff you have a fair point. I have seen tons of Twitter threads deleted. But still, why aren't the OPs being banned?
>>
>>478974
Lurk more.
>>
>>478969
>mods can still get your IP and give it to the FPI
>no, only Hiro can and the FBI can get them easier than he ever could
>Okay, but what does that have anything to do with it?
Delete your thread.
>>
>>478975
If you don't like something, generally you ignore it, yes. That's pretty much what Moot always said.
>>
>>478983
The IP has nothing to do with this. Mods will hand out an IP if FBI ask, but the FBI can always search it themselves. This has nothing to do with being anonymous to the users. FBI can find your IP and Mods can see your IP. You aren't anonymous right now. A linked email feature would not make you any less anonymous.
>>
>>478985
>why don't you do this
>because its a stupid ide
>DONT FUCKING POST IN MY THREAD
>>
>>478985
There is a distinctive difference between not going into a thread for x because you don't like x and what you are saying.
>>
>>478962
>The FBI doesn't even NEED mods to get IPs. They can do it themselves.
Do you mean by subpoenaing 4chan, or by technical means?

>Seriously, go make your own website and see if it does good.
There are an assload of suggestions that have made it into 4chan today despite protestations to the contrary (and more that haven't). This is one more on the pile.
>>
>>478988
>and Mods can see your IP
[CITATION NEEDED]
>>
>>478990
>why don't you not ask questions on a questions board
>because I'm here posting in the correct board. ignore the thread if you don't like the question
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You can post in it all you want, but any rational person would ignore something so easily ignorable if they don't like the discussion going on in it.
>>
>>478992
>There are an assload of suggestions that have made it into 4chan today despite protestations to the contrary
And most of those suggestions made the place worse. Normally by catering to literal braindead fucking retard.
>>
>>478992
>There are an assload of suggestions that have made it into 4chan today despite protestations to the contrary
[citation needed]
>>
>>478999
>And most of those suggestions made the place worse.
Like what?
>>
>>478992
Like what nigger?

I'm sure people on here would most certainly protest against anonymity being revoked on an anonymous image board.

>This is one more on the pile.
>implying the mods would ever consider your fucking stupid idea
>>
>>478998
All you are saying is
>this thread is my circlejerk hugbox and if you dont agree with my opinion DO NOT POST IN IT I AM CORRECT AND YOU ARE WRONG JUST IGNORE THE THREAD
I bet you are a generalfag as well.
>>
>>478999
>And most of those suggestions made the place worse.
Yeah, there's a bunch of them I didn't like it either, but for better or for worse if enough users scream loud enough about something eventually someone has a look (if only to ban them all).

>>479000
There isn't a change that 4chan made in the last 5 years that didn't have a party complaining about how it ruined everything.

>>478996
>[CITATION NEEDED]
You used to be able to appeal bans in #4chan but you had to give your IP address, meaning that they were able to look it up from there.
>>
>>479002
Every single fucking convenience feature.
>>
>>479003
>I'm sure people on here would most certainly protest against anonymity being revoked on an anonymous image board
How is anonymity being revoked? You cannot be this dumb if you still can't get this into your head.
>>
>>479005
>There isn't a change that 4chan made in the last 5 years that didn't have a party complaining about how it ruined everything.
And how does that make your suggestion remotely valid?
>>
>>479004
>All you are saying is
Then why have I been discussing the idea for hours not telling anyone else to ignore it except the person wanting the thread gone altogether?
>>
>>479013
Because you're a retard? Dunno anon, you tell us!
>>
>>479008
Like what?
>>
>>479012
It's not my suggestion (and the developer is on record as saying like "it's not a bad idea but 4chan probably won't do it") but the fact is that telling people to fuck-off-and-make-your-own-forum-if-you-want-X-so-badly is applied very selectively to suggestions. It's not a real argument.
>>
>>479005
>but you had to give your IP address,
okay, giving your IP DOES NOT mean they have your IP

What it is most likely today is that the mods have a button that says "BAN THIS USER" like literally every. other. website.

>>479009
Its been explained 5 different times in this thread, dumbass
>>
>>479016
Your suggestion is still fucking shit for reasons a, b, c, d, etc. listed earlier in the thread. Also
>and the developer is on record as saying like "it's not a bad idea but 4chan probably won't do it"
[citation needed]
>>
>>479014
But anon, you just said all I've been doing is telling people to ignore me if they don't like it. Clearly that's not true.
>>
>>479017
They must also have a way to "unban this user" and "delete all the posts by this user", which presumably works because they have access to the singular defining feature of a 4chan user's identity.

>>479019
Lurk more.

Also, read posts before you reply to them.
>>
>>479017
>Its been explained 5 different times in this thread
Show me. How are you not anonymous to the users? How is having an email linked any worse than having an IP linked?
>>
>>479013
Because you hoped for dick sucking and when you didn't get that you backtracked and decided to declare that if you don't agree with me, you should probably just ignore my thread. Clap clap for the mentally challenged retard.
>>
>>479024
Lurk moar.
>>
>>479025
>Because you hoped for dick sucking
Where did I say that? All I've been doing is discussing the idea. I've only ever told you to ignore it because you ask that the thread deleted. You said all I did was tell people to ignore the thread, when you are the only one I've said it too.
>>
Hey, just came to make sure that someone had already posted it, but just in case they haven't:
Lurk more.
>>
>>479024
Do you know how to read?
Jesus Christ.

>>479023
Okay, fuckhead, let me explain how this works
>mod clicks button
>button runs through code
>system puts in user's IP in place of blank code
>code removes all posts

So no, the mods STILL most likely don't have your IP
>>
>>479031
This isn't how it works. In fact, it's something you made up right now.

>So no, the mods STILL most likely don't have your IP
How many people on 4chan do you think have the permission to see your IP? Why would 4chan hide it from the moderators when part of their job is to root out ban evaders?
>>
>>479031
>mod clicks button
>button runs through code
>system puts in user's IP in place of blank code
>code removes all posts
[citation need]
You don't know either way. Whichever way it is, the site still stores your IP, so you are still not completely anonymous.

>Do you know how to read?
Show me where someone explains how you are any less anonymous to users than you are now.
>>
>>479034
>You don't know either way
Okay, how many websites do the button system for moderation, and how many flat out have your fucking IP on a banner?

>Whichever way it is, the site still stores your IP
Its stored in the absolute depths of the website like every IP on every website. The only thing seeing your IP is some code

>>479033
>Why would 4chan hide it from the moderators when part of their job is to root out ban evaders?
Ban evades literally root themselves out.
Trust me, as someone who has been banned in the past, if the mods knew how to root out evades, there would be a HUGE population drop
>>
>>479036
>Trust me, as someone who has been banned in the past, if the mods knew how to root out evades, there would be a HUGE population drop
Your IP reveals your ISP. Having it doesn't solve "ban evasion," because they can't just ban the whole ISP, unless you are a German or an Australian.

>Okay, how many websites do the button system for moderation, and how many flat out have your fucking IP on a banner?
There is no ban system that doesn't have a way of uniquely identifying the user you are banning.
>>
>>479036
>Its stored in the absolute depths of the website like every IP on every website. The only thing seeing your IP is some code
And the mods (possibly), admin, and FBI can find it if they so choose. You're not anonymous. What are the mods going to do if they know a throwaway email? Release it to the public? The email account itself doesn't reveal who you are.
>>
>>479037
>There is no ban system that doesn't have a way of uniquely identifying the user you are banning.
What the fuck are you going on about.
On forums and most websites its literally just a red button that says "ban this guy"

>>479038
>And the mods (possibly)
No they don't

>admin
Has to do some hardcore digging, and still most likely can't pinpoint what posts they are

>FBI
These people know when you take a shit, of fucking course they have your IP.

>You're not anonymous
>JUST GIVE ME YOUR FUCKING INFORMATION ALREADY
>>
>>479036
>>479039
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/726786/#726865
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/757285/#758099
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/718350/#718519
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/645281/#645589
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/228687/#231406
>mods don't see IPs
>>
>>479039
>>479036
https://desustorage.org/fit/thread/15121620/#15123031
>mods
>don't
>see
>IPs
>>
>>479039
>>479036
Here's my favorite one.
https://desustorage.org/q/thread/199249/#199403
>>
>>479041
>>479042
>>479043
4chan staff are the admins and higher ups, not mods and janitors.
But hey, its nice to know your butthurt because no one wants to register to use 4chan
>>
>>479039
>These people know when you take a shit, of fucking course they have your IP.
Do they have a backdoor into 4chan, or have they cracked HTTPS?

>>479041
Thank you for doing the work of telling this guy off so I didn't have to keep retreading this shitfest.
>>
>>479044
That so?
https://desustorage.org/fit/thread/13550791/#13838095
https://desustorage.org/fit/thread/13550791/#13838009
https://desustorage.org/tg/thread/20134657/#20135048
>>
>>479045
>Do they have a backdoor into 4chan, or have they cracked HTTPS?
They have a lot more than that, anon.
>>
>>479045
https://desustorage.org/tg/thread/18742989/#18750789
https://desustorage.org/a/thread/37462626/#37467862
Archives are fun.
>>
>>479044
Those are posts with mod capcodes.

Unless you think they're all secretly an admin in disguise (who does "hardcore digging" rather than asking the developer to make a database field visible, and would take about 5 minutes, and which it would simply retarded not to have) you're desperately grasping at straws.

>>479047
Enlighten us.
>>
>>479044
Please, post more, you're great.
>>
>>479041
>>479042
>>479043
>>479048
>>479046
How much of this shit did you save? Just because no one wants to have to register to use 4chan
>>
>>479053
He probably searched it up now, using a searchable database.

You can't not be taking the piss.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.