[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCKING REMOVE GENERALS FROM THE SITE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: 97880386.jpg (94 KB, 422x408) Image search: [Google]
97880386.jpg
94 KB, 422x408
FUCKING

REMOVE

GENERALS

FROM

THE

SITE
>>
>>477540
filter is your friend, buddy.
>>
Don't like 'em? Don't go in 'em. And I say this as someone who doesn't like 'em.
>>
>>477543
There is one downside to this approach:

If I make a thread about a topic covered by a general, the only reply I will get will be "go to the fucking general."
>>
>>477546
If that happens, do what I do and just say "fuck you" to those people and keep bumping the thread until people discuss it. It always works.

I really have not run into that many people who say "go to the general" though. You know why? Because people fucking hate generals. They're happy for an excuse to discuss a topic in something that isn't a general.
>>
File: marked.png (5 KB, 590x109) Image search: [Google]
marked.png
5 KB, 590x109
>>
>>477540

no
>>
I dont understand the hate against generals. Most generals are on /vg/ anyway. If you make a thread about a game on /v/ and they tell you to go to /vg/ then that person is fucking retarded.
If a topic warrants a general, then what's the problem? It makes room for other threads.

>>477552

>screenshot relies on the date to make a point
>you wrote on top of the date and no one can see it

One job, anon.
>>
File: MARK MY WORDS.png (6 KB, 590x109) Image search: [Google]
MARK MY WORDS.png
6 KB, 590x109
>>477555
Fuck. I never noticed that.
>>
File: realization.jpg (17 KB, 381x235) Image search: [Google]
realization.jpg
17 KB, 381x235
>>477557

>there's a chance that fucktard is still a Mod
>>
>>477555
>I dont understand the hate against generals
Because 4chan is not and never was an internet forum
>>
>>477559
>Because 4chan is not and never was an internet forum

But generals arent anything like a traditional forum.
If it was on /news/ then maybe.
It's still on 4chan and people still post the same way. I know some of the generals on /vg/ that are about "dead" games can be full of shitposting, but why even visit those?
>>
>>477555
Not to mention he didn't mark the words. He marked around the words.
>>
Let it be known that on this day a frogposter had the correct opinion.
>>
>>477555
>I dont understand the hate against generals.
The entire point of the format of 4chan is that threads are not supposed to be persistent.
You know how people are pissed off that they forced their social bullshit into youtube? They are annoyed because youtube is about videos, not facebook2.0. The same with generals on 4chan: They represent a change in direction that entirely distracts the point of an ephemeral anonymous image board.
>>
I think the speed 4chan has reached these days combined with the way you find/access threads is always going to push people toward generals.

These sort of things are complicated to think about since you have to weigh all the reasons people tend to do things a certain way.
But I've given it a lot of thought and personally I think a good way to discourage generals naturally would be if we had a better way to monitor new threads (like a "board watcher") and if threads were guaranteed to not be deleted for at least 24 hours even if they fall off page 10.
>>
File: >general.png (20 KB, 596x892) Image search: [Google]
>general.png
20 KB, 596x892
>>477555
>I dont understand the hate against generals.
Because generals go against the way the site is ran and stifle discussion on topics and make them impossible to discuss. Generals just simply don't belong on 4chan and their existence on a board is nothing more than a negative influence on everything.

>generals dont stop discussion
Try fucking talking about madoka on fucking /a/ without those fucking generalfags and tripfags coming to rp your thread up.
>>
>>477732
But /a/ is a high quality board with a unique culture anon.
>>
>>477756
Generalfags truly ruined everything enjoyable on /a/. Everything these days is just a different flavour of generals. I spend more time and enjoy fucking arguing about stupid shit I don't even care about on /qa/, than lurking and posting on /a/ these days.
>>
>>477732
>Try FUCKING talking about madoka on FUCKING /a/ without those FUCKING generalfags and tripfags coming to rp your thread up.
Global Rule 2 anon.
>>
>>477759
I'm Australian, not underage. Fuck you, you racist fuck.
>>
File: 1291117622745.gif (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1291117622745.gif
24 KB, 200x200
>>477762
>Australian

Mentally underaged then it is, anon.
>>
>>477781
No, Americans are the mentally underaged ones.
>>
>>477781
99% of the shitposting, spamming and illegal content is posted by Americans, anon. If it wasn't for Americans flooding into 4chan during 2007 and 2008, we wouldn't have general threads at all.
>>
>>477540
We'll remove generals from the site just as soon as you kill yourself.
>>
>>477540
Generals are mostly cancerous, they are just shitposts
>>
>>477555
Because they're filled with circlejerks and faggotry, but because they exist janitors will delete threads related to the topic.
>>
>>477792
>If it wasn't for Americans we wouldn't have 4chan
FTFY
>>
>>477540
remove yourself from this site, this ain't reddit, kid
>>
>>477540
Why are anti-general fags always so pissed off?
>>
File: look at me.png (36 KB, 557x145) Image search: [Google]
look at me.png
36 KB, 557x145
ITT:
>>
File: He's dead Jim.png (558 KB, 960x536) Image search: [Google]
He's dead Jim.png
558 KB, 960x536
>>477540
Hello friend. I see you have a complaint about generals on 4Chan. Please note that in your options menu at the bottom corner lays a feature called "Filter". When you open this menu, you are able to hide words, names, images that may upset you.

I hope this has been helpful!
Thank you for browsing 4Chan!

Non automated response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmxurTG3UcE
>>
>>480855
i love this guy
>>
>>477540
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>480814
Because we remember a time before generals and how good it was.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.