[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /qa/, I suggest allowing posting on 4chan through Tor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: TorLogo-v2-onion1[1].jpg (191 KB, 1494x1014) Image search: [Google]
TorLogo-v2-onion1[1].jpg
191 KB, 1494x1014
Hello /qa/,

I suggest allowing posting on 4chan through Tor.
To me, what 4chan has always stood for is anonymity; this is where the so-called group Anonymous has its origins after all

moot seemed to agree with me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1UEAGCo30

So why block Tor users from posting? Doesn't forbidding users of an anonymous network to contribute go against the whole idea of promoting anonymity online?

I realize the main reason Tor is blocked is the abuse potential, but these points of abuse can be battled
One is the posting of illegal content, like CP. Some possible solutions would be to create a whitelist that either only allows for pictures commonly posted on 4chan to be posted or works similar to systems like Google's SafeSearch (which is pretty effective these days, you hardly ever get NSFW content anymore if you wanna avoid it), image moderation before they're posted, or simply allowing only text posts to be made through Tor

Another is the potential of spam, which can be battled through the use of more/harder CAPTCHAs that are necessary to be filled out if you're on Tor (iirc reCAPTCHA has a way of controlling the difficulty of CAPTCHAs a user gets)

Ban evasion may be a problem, but let's be honest here, doesn't make a difference to ban evaders whether they have to reset their router or go on Tor; Tor being allowed won't increase the number of people who evade their bans significantly, if at all

Long story short I'm just saying that the POSSIBILITY to post through Tor should exist, in the spirit of "raw, unfiltered discussion" as moot put it - at least for a tryout period, if it proves unsuccessful, then fair enough

What say you?
>>
>>475983
>what 4chan has always stood for is anonymity
You have no idea what it means.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81 KB, 1600x900
>>475983
I have no idea who you are
Or this guy
>>475984
And neither of you know who I am.

And tor is blocked for good reason. Now stop posting shit threads.
>>
>>475985
>And tor is blocked for good reason
Elaborate
>>
>>475986
See
>>475983(you)
Abuse potential.
>>
>>475987
And I said why that abuse potential can easily be controlled
>>
>>475989
There is a popular alternative to 4chan that allows tor posting. Go there.
>>
>>475991
In other words, you don't have any real reasons why posting from Tor shouldn't be allowed
>>
>>475994
What is the benefit? I can't think of one.

tor is for when you are committing crimes / making serious threats.

It's an invitation for abuse. Anyways, what's a good reason besides 'anonymity'? because that's bullshit.
>>
>>476002
Whistleblowers and people living in shitty dictator-run countries would have an easier time posting

if push came to shove, 4chan would give out the IPs of those people
>>
>>475991
Also
>It's an invitation for abuse

the "other site" Tor posting is allowed on hasn't seen an increase in bomb threats and cybercime either, why should 4chan
>>
Hello dear faggot.

There seems to be something you've misunderstood about 4chan and anonymity.

4chan is not anonymous in order to allow free speech or other freedoms. It's not to remove consequence or add safety.

4chan is anonymous in order to provide easy posting, contributing and discussion. Anyone can jump in and post easily. There are no limitations to that.

In short, 4chan is not about freedom, 4chan is about fun and ease of use.

There is no reason to enable tor.
>>
>>476007
>4chan is not anonymous in order to allow free speech or other freedoms
Watch the video I posted, faggot
moot says several times that anonymity on 4chan is to provide a more open, unfiltered, raw discussion - read: freedom of speech

" And so, what I think is really intriguing about a community like 4chan is just that it's this open place. As I said, it's raw, it's unfiltered. And sites like it are kind of going the way of the dinosaur right now. They're endangered because we're moving towards social networking. We're moving towards persistent identity. We're moving towards, you know, a lack of privacy, really. We're sacrificing a lot of that, and I think in doing so, moving towards those things, we're losing something valuable. "

6:12
>>
>>475983
I want this
>>
>>476018
Thanks anon, at least ONE person on my side
>>
This is never going to happen because it will hamper and complicate the process of mods banning someone.
>>
>>476023
But like I said, ban evaders will just reset their router

Or are you referring to IP range bans?
>>
>>475983
>this is where the so-called group Anonymous has its origins after all
Fuck those cancer monkeys.
>>
>>476012
Moot knows damn well what happened. That video is six years old and he no longer has anything to do with us. Also most everything that happened on 4chan before that video was pre-captcha.

Now.

If you want to build an open, unfiltered place for discussion, you make posting as easy as possible. Often easy posting results in some degree of anonymity.

If you want to make a site about anonymity, you simply make it anonymous.

On 4chan, you're only anonymous towards other users. On some boards, you have country flags and IDs too, you're not anonymous towards other users either.

4chan does keep logs and does use cookies.
4chan does give bans and remembers poster IP addresses.
4chan does have IDs and country flags.
You can use tripcodes and names on 4chan.
4chan does filter posts, not letting you post if you write the names of some competing sites in your post.
4chan uses captcha even if botspam isn't a problem anymore.
4chan won't let you post from a VPN or tor.
4chan has range banned entire countries.
Your identity and post history are not secret for the mod team.
Moot works for fucking Google, probably for being the greatest contributor of captcha results.

4chan is anonymous because of easy posting, not because of privacy or freedom concerns. There is no reason to enable tor. You can fight for freedom somewhere else.
>>
>>476024
What makes you think most people ban evade?
>>
>>476027
>You can use tripcodes and names on 4chan.
>4chan does filter posts, not letting you post if you write the names of some competing sites in your post.
>4chan uses captcha even if botspam isn't a problem anymore.
These have nothing to do with tor not being allowed
>4chan won't let you post from a VPN or tor.
well yeah, that's what I'm trying to change
>Your identity and post history are not secret for the mod team.
that's a bad thing then
>4chan does keep logs and does use cookies
questionable too
>4chan does give bans and remembers poster IP addresses.
ban evaders gonna ban evade, with or without Tor
>4chan does have IDs and country flags.
valid point, regarding IDs anyway, I think people should be free to choose whether to disclose their country or not

don't allow Tor on the respective boards then though, if it's such a major deal
>4chan has range banned entire countries.
I didn't know that, what countries are they?
that's not something that should be the case either, anyway
>Moot works for fucking Google, probably for being the greatest contributor of captcha results.
Well, there are still CAPTCHAs on Tor so that won't harm the CAPTCHA industry

>>476028
I don't, but people who DO will find a way whether Tor's allowed or not
>>
>>476004
>Whistleblowers
Dude this is a side about discussing anime and other worthless shit.
>>
>>476068
Important shit has happened on here nonetheless
>>
>>475983
REMEMBER >>>/l/???
>>
Spammers and ban evaders used to abuse Tor, therefore it was blocked.
>>
>>475983
>this is where the so-called group Anonymous has its origins after all
And this is where everything you say becomes irrelevant and garbage. No one gave a shit about Anonymous, they were nothing short of pure cancer.
>>
>>476105
Nothing important enough to warrant a need for access to an anonymous network like tor. Whistleblowers are gonna send information directly to people who can spread their message better.

There's no real necessity to use any anonymous network for 4chan. They're slow and generally a pain to use. And if you really cared about nobody ever tracking anything about you you'd stop using the internet.
>>
>>475985
>And tor is blocked for good reason. Now stop posting shit threads.
No it's isn't. 8ch allows TOR posting and they have safeguards in place. The problem is that 4chan administration and tech are fucking useless.
>>
>>476002
>tor is for when you are committing crimes / making serious threats.
Oh man, kill yourself teenager. TOR is mainly used for secure connections, it is mostly used by education and military. Fuck off with your TV news level of education. Let me guess, you also think 4chan used to be home to serious blackhats?

Fucking Gen Y.
>>
>>476027
Country flags are cancer.
>>
>>476027
>4chan does keep logs
>Your identity and post history are not secret for the mod team.
These two are wrong. A thread is completely wiped after it's pruned from 4chan's archive. Your IP, images, everything is wiped from the servers. Because of this, there's no post history. I mean, they save some text posts to show up in a ban, but that's it.
>>
Given all that moot said about anonymity, why the fuck did he add flags to some boards?
Did he ever explain why he did it? Adding it to /pol/ was a punishment, that can be guessed easily.
>>
>>476855
Showing flags doesn't really comprise anonymity.
The only other boards with flags are /sp/ and /int/. If you're not retarded you can probably figure out why the INTERNATIONAL board has flags but I don't know why /sp/ has them. I mean, I guess they could be useful during the olympics or the World Cup.
>>
>>475983
Tor adds nothing to the site and simply allows easier ban evading.

>>476874
/sp/ has them for the same reason /int/ does. Part of the topic is based on location.
>>
File: >muh bastion of free speech.png (17 KB, 952x179) Image search: [Google]
>muh bastion of free speech.png
17 KB, 952x179
>>476012
>moot says several times that anonymity on 4chan is to provide a more open, unfiltered, raw discussion - read: freedom of speech
"no"
>>
>>476874
It's a huge compromise of my anonymity. Suddenly I'm not "Anonymous", I'm "Anonymous from Sweden".

/int/, well flags could be useful there, but they should be optional.
/sp/, totally insane to have flags here. World Cup, Germany scores. Some people get really happy about that, gee I wonder where they could be from? Maybe Germany? Retarded idea to have flags on this board.
>>
Dumb suggestion for the reasons already given.
>>
>>475983
You mean well, but you forgot one crucial detail: how to you whitelist exit nodes to allow only text-based posts? How would you even identify an exit node, when their purpose is to behave as a regular node to mask traffic?

There's just too many implications to consider for it to ever be effective.
>>
>>475983
I would also like this. The text only thing seems like a good option
>>
>>478223
Every one of their 'fixes' is either a technical impossibility or represents a massive workload increase for no gain. Focusing on just one is pretty pointless.
>>
>>478223
They already can identify the exit nodes
>>
>>478223
>There's just too many implications to consider for it to ever be effective.
It's already effective on 8ch.
I'm sure if a lazy drug addicted crippled in Thailand can manage it, so can the code monkey earning his hot pockets on 4chan.

The problem is that you have no idea how TOR works and m00t/current and past admin would rather rely on the gross ignorance of the masses to scare people into thinking it was both dangerous and not viable.
>>
>>476022
me too senpai

The other guy is obtuse
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.