[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/qa/, let's make a map of imageboards.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 12
File: map.png (48 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
map.png
48 KB, 2550x3300
/qa/, let's make a map of imageboards.
>>
File: dump map.png (73 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
dump map.png
73 KB, 2550x3300
>>
File: Untitled.png (22 KB, 457x545) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
22 KB, 457x545
>>475435
At least get the basics right, fucking newfags.
>>
>>
>>475634
Holy shit what fucking font is this? crap.ttf?
>>
>>475634
How can you forget krautchan? Almost every non-Japanese origin meme on 4chan was ripped from that site.
>>
>>475641
it is now. :) it was called Ringbearer.
>>
>>475642
krautchan is 3rd on the list
>>
File: 1458766372787.png (214 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
1458766372787.png
214 KB, 2550x3300
There are many more that I don't remember.
>>
>>475657
http://allchans.org/
>>
>>475659
I think the OP wanted more of a historical map

I really don't care though since other than this >>475615 everything else is pretty much nothing but dead branches (at least for english sites, I think there's some successful breakaway non-english sites).
>>
What about this site:
forum.svartgul.se/guestbook/

It's been around since 1999. It's a kind of textboard, but you have to register to post. You have your own profile. It's just one board and just one eternal thread dedicated to one topic: a Swedish sports club.
>>
>>475657
world2chan preceded 4chan, anon. It was the first English language chan.
>>
What a great way to get a suprise ban.
>>
>>475634
>tfw raidchan radio no longer exists
RIP

Also, this list could possibly use some anontalk under the second category. Unless anontalk doesn't count as a "chan"
>>
File: 119193687269.jpg (96 KB, 673x576) Image search: [Google]
119193687269.jpg
96 KB, 673x576
>>475657
Uboachan is one you forgot. It's had a solid 8 or so years of activity and is still online, which is more than a lot of other fanbase-oriented chans can say.

Also, anyone remember the name of the chan that's supposedly for talking about trains, but is hidden behind a password screen so not many people have actually seen it? I think its name might be filtered on 4chan.

>>475672
Imageboard software always did remind me of guestbooks on old school websites. It's easy to imagine how these weird, archaic websites evolved out of this very Web 1.0 style of posting on the Internet in Japan, independent of what the rest of the world thinks of as a "message board".

That being said, it's very weird to see these Swedes *still* using this site as an active discussion board as though this is really the most convenient and appealing way to talk about swedish sports. Very interesting, though.

>>475643
>Ringbearer
I have this font, isn't it the LOTR font? It looks terrible shrunken down like that.
>>
>>475697
That site is really unique, though. It's a lot like a general, but on a separate site. Many people here on 4chan love generals, and that's kind of what that site is: an eternal general discussion thread about one Swedish sports club.

Some people prefer forums, but in this context I just don't feel that it works out, this is a very narrow subject and multiple threads disjoints everything.
>>
>>475678
It had an imageboard for a few months, but it didn't really preceded 4chan. 4chan was based on 2chan, and all these chans were based on 4chan.

>>475697
>is hidden behind a password screen
chan.us
>>
>>475703
>one chan.us
That's the one, thanks.
>>
>>475703
Nigger w2ch existed BEFORE 4chan and no boards are based on 4chan because 4chan itself used software 双葉 used, which was based on a modified version of the base that both 2ちゃん and 怪しい used. Most of the other popular non-Japanese chans use software entirely different to what 4chan ripped off. You literally have no fucking clue about the histroy of these boards.
>>
>>475435
boy that's gonna take a while
>>
File: daijoubu.jpg (37 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
daijoubu.jpg
37 KB, 242x208
>mfw the super obscure imageboard I'm hosting will never be added to these lists because I'm too much of a beta to advertise
>>
File: uglyasfuck.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
uglyasfuck.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4000
Deleted previous post, photoshop borked. Anyways, it could be +5 times bigger if I was autistic enough, but I think this suffices to give people an idea of how things where

>>475697
There's dozens of forgotten 2004 sites, some that are still around.
>>
>>475634
99 chan might be dead but it's not defunct

>>475697
there is a .net and a .us 1 chan
>>
>>475896
Kinda looks like a penis.
>>
>>475901
4chan is the BBC of the imageboard world
>>
>>475896
>/pol/ is canned

it was /new/ at the time
>>
File: 1458364311881.jpg (475 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1458364311881.jpg
475 KB, 900x675
>>475896
thank you
>>
>>475776
And? Are you dumb? 2ch didn't use Ayashii Warudo's code, but it was created thanks to it. 2ch was based on Ayashii Warudo. Same thing with 4chan and 2chan, and same thing with all these chans.
420chan was created because 4chan didn't have drug boards, for example.
>>
File: tagbbs-sysopview[1].png (16 KB, 635x400) Image search: [Google]
tagbbs-sysopview[1].png
16 KB, 635x400
>All these revisionist and millennial faggots think Ayashii Warudo was the first anonymous BBS in the world

I've got news for you children: America had those in the 1980s.
>>
>>476305
It'd be more accurate to say it takes from Amezo,

>>476433
Anonymous culture =! anonymous bbs.

You can trace 4chan's lineage all the way to Ayashii and Something Awful
>>
>>476451
>Anonymous culture =! anonymous bbs.
I disagree. The japs clearly ripped it off from American BBSs.
>>
While we're on that subject, does anyone know where samachan came from? The earliest mention of it I could find in multliple 4chan archives was on this board but it was already pretty active back then and it doesn't seem to be from 8gag either.
>>
>>476472
I thought it was new and was made because 8ch crashed and burned.
>>
>>476455
Where's your proof?
>>
>>476495
I was there ya whippersnapper. What do you want? 30 year old screenshots? AMA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat!_BBS
>>
>>476498
so what? where's your proof that masayuki shiba too inspiration from western anonymous BBS and not local japanese BBS services to make ayashii world

this is about chans and their family tree, not anonymous communication.
>>
>>476508
Because the proliferation of American BBSs preceded that of Japanese BBSs by about 5 or 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system#The_first_BBSes

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/
>>
>>476508
>this is about chans and their family tree
Well then don't point to a large branch and call it the trunk.
>>
>>476512
But anonymity on BBS wasn't really a thing, was it? I think the first real "anonymous" culture (which was very different from today's) emerged with anonymous remailers on Usenet.
>>
>>476512
You don't understand how Ayashii was formed right? It has nothing to do with 80s BBSs.

Shiba wanted to make a geek culture website and took inspiration of Lolita Complex Graphic's use of Japanese hosts that offered extremely basic, registration free anonymous forums (I'm speaking 1 line long text only posts, and I don't think threads where even a thing) and other services.

How extremely basic it's to make a registration free "choose your own name" forum aside, even if these Japanese services took inspiration from the 1 or 2 niche western BBSs - Because anonymous BBSs and forums on the west never took off - such inspiration would only be technical, as they weren't community hubs, merely service providers.

>>476513
If it weren't for Ayashii popularizing anonymous forums on Japan, none of thing would have happened. It -is- the trunk of the tree.
>>
>>476518
There were 2 schools of thought:
It depends on what the board was. There was a BBS for every special niche interest. If it was a warez/piracy board then it was probably Anonymous. There were hundreds of BBSs in each area code that anyone could call on their modems without long distance charges and each one of those BBSs probably had forums. These forums in these places were madhouses where you could find everything from terrorist threats on the government to anonymous matchmaking/dating to ANSI art. I started my own in 1990 using WWIV so I could hook up with WWIVnet (which was like FidoNet, or like an early precursor to teh WWW)
>>
>>476521
>If it weren't for Ayashii popularizing anonymous forums on Japan, none of thing would have happened. It -is- the trunk of the tree.
Ayashii wouldn't have been formed at all without the American BBSs being around.

>>476521
From my perspective it is you who doesn't understand how Ayashii was formed.
>>
>>476525
You still don't understand what the thread is about.

Op wanted a map of imageboards. We made it and and in addition added their direct precusors, the 2ch and the Ayashii textboards. This thread is not about who created what first, it's merely pointing out which imageboard came out from what.

It's known that anonymous culture - that is, the japanese tradition to make their forums anonymous texboards, became a thing with Shiba's Ayashii World. So the line ends with what inspired Ayashii's creation, which is Lolita Complex Graphics.

>From my perspective it is you who doesn't understand how Ayashii was formed.

Ok, tell me then how it was formed, if you know so much.
>>
>>476531
I know the point of the thread is a map of the imageboard family tree but I don't see anyone else picking up the MSpaintbrush either.

>It's known that anonymous culture - that is, the japanese tradition to make their forums anonymous texboards
That's fair. All I'm saying is that I was doing the same thing on American BBSs (Anonymously sharing images and forum posts) long before Ayashii's creation, and in fact there were tens of thousands of such places to do that long before Ayashii supposedly "introduced Anonymous culture".

Look I can see you know what you're talking about but its like you seem to think there was some kind of Anonymous culture vaccum before Ayashii existed and I'm telling you that is far from the case.
>>
>>476537
>Look I can see you know what you're talking about but its like you seem to think there was some kind of Anonymous culture vaccum before Ayashii existed and I'm telling you that is far from the case.

I don't think so, Ayashii wasn't the first community in Japan to be anonymous. But I don't know anything about them, nor the western ones beyond the fact they are unrelated to it.
>>
>>476564
I think the japanese wikipedia article on Ayashii sheds some small enlightenment but the problem is that's it's horribly mistranslated into english by google and there is no english wikipedia equivalent page.

The relevant part is this:
サービス利用登録が必要で閉鎖的な交流が行われるパソコン通信の掲示板とは違い、インターネット上に開放的に構築されたアンダーグラウンドな社交場の嚆矢とされる。

If I understand this correctly Ayashii was the first BBS-like forum on the internet in Japan that was specifically tailored to not having a username like one would on a BBS. In that respect it is a "pioneer" as the text says (I think).
>>
>>476569
I have this that's a timeline of the ayashii world

ayashiiworldhistory.blog(LOLSPAM)spot.jp/2013/02/a-small-history-of-ayashii-world-1.html

It states Shiba's used third party anonymous services so anonymous BBS where a thing before it
>>
File: 1186523688007.jpg (18 KB, 341x512) Image search: [Google]
1186523688007.jpg
18 KB, 341x512
>>476608
>1996.04.29

>: Duke Pedo (ペド侯爵 Pedo Koushaku) held a home party called Japan lolita complex graphics (日本ロリコングラフィックス), and it influenced strongly to Mr Shiba.

god help me I lol'd hard.
>>
File: vint-richard-stallma_1.jpg (83 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
vint-richard-stallma_1.jpg
83 KB, 610x400
>>476512
>there is a documentary
Thagn u anon
>>
>>476608
This is very concise! I appreciate the link to good historical information.
>>
>>475896
As a Swede I think it's pretty odd that chan culture never really took off here. There might be a few small Swedish chans, but they're irrelevant.
Our big counter-culture site is Flashback Forum, a bastion of free speech (and racism).
>>
>>476716
The international chanverses are massive tho'.

I'm only mentioning those that are truly great and unique (krautchan, the fins and the russians)

South Americans are there on merit of having the biggest network
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.