[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come 4chan got rid of the ability to show when someone was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: kj;j;ljkj.jpg (61 KB, 721x960) Image search: [Google]
kj;j;ljkj.jpg
61 KB, 721x960
How come 4chan got rid of the ability to show when someone was saging a thread?

Why was the email field deleted entirely?

How come subject fields only come with making threads?
>>
All changes moot made toward the end of his administration to streamline old features to make the website less confusing and more accessible for new users.

I don't think it was a good thing either.
>>
why keep all the usenet features when most people didn't even use them
>>
>>472835
Why keep (any given board here) when most people don't use it?
>>
>>472833
Because people were using it as a downvote and moot didn't like that. I prefer the change because I can quietly sage a thread I don't think deserves a bump without the OP telling me I'm butthurt.

No idea about the email field, it seemed quite useful to me.

Having a subject for individual posts is pointless, people only used it to make jokes.
>>
>>472856
>people only used it to make jokes.
I used the email field for that, too.

But not just jokes, people used the subject field and their internet gumption to make any post they made look like a giant tripfag exclamation point, OR they used them to simulate being a moderator or moot.

The real mystery is why did people believed those fake moots were real, anyway? How could people be so stupid?
>>
>>472833
MY FEE FEE.
That's the actual reason anon but people misused it since you are supposed to use it if you post contributes nothing to the thread not as a form of downvotes (trainga posting does that much better now)
>>
>>472844
one's system efficiency, the other would be it harms not those who don't frequent it but helps those who do
>>472856
jokes are fun

i think a subject field on places like /lit/ would be amazing
>>
>>472833
emails and reply subjects were removed because they were fucking useless and nobody actually used them for their intended purpose

sage was hidden because apparently redditards thought it was a downvote
>>
>>472856
>Because people were using it as a downvote
In certain ways it is a downvote and that is how it is used on 2ch. The point is to refrain from bumping the thread up, so you choose to post in a way that doesn't do this, which has a natural effect of lowering the thread.

The problem is that Americans are immune to subtlety and think that someone opting not to bump the thread is somehow a personal insult to the thread itself and everyone else within in. m00t also fundamentally misunderstood the concept, which is no surprise really because the guy and his goon friends were fucking idiots who never really changed from their SA days.

The long and short of it is that while you may be able to completely rip off the successful site and model someone else created, you can't import functions which require basic modesty when the overwhelming percentage of the userbase are obnoxious fucks who don't give two shits about anyone else using the site.
>>
>>474952
>which has a natural effect of lowering the thread.
Nitpick - this is only true in the sense that not-replying to a thread also lowers the thread, but 10,000+ people do that every minute of every day and nobody thinks of these people as having lowered the thread.
>>
>>474954
下げる is a transitive verb, anon.
>>
>>472833
>saging
It's pronounced さげ
>>
>>475468
>さげ
lol
>>
>>474952
>m00t
>>
>>475468
It's written like that.
It's pronounced sah-gay.
>>
>>475471
So it really is a downvote. Who knew.
>>
>>475521
I don't even know if this is ironic anymore
>>
Say what you want about downboats but sage used in that way was pretty effective in educating newfags and lurkers. Seeing a thread drown in blue was a clear, visual sign that this sort of thing isn't welcome by the majority. Nowadays a new poster can't really see what is widely accepted and what isn't at a glance.
>>
>>475959
noko is more more educational.
>>
>>472833
Remember when noko became pointless? I miss the old days...
>>
Not replying at all is a far more powerful way odf showing that a thread sucks. Nothing hurts like 0 replies.
See a shit thread? Don't fucking reply, report it if you want.
>>
Because sage was like dislike button. I still think that Heaven should be available though.
>>
>>476392
What is Heaven?
>>
>>476390
This is very true. I mean, I can still try samefagging, but I cannot deny it stings to watch a thread descend to page 10 with absolutely no replies. If all people were capable of ignoring threads, then a lot of shitposters would lose their power.
>>
>>472856
>Having a subject for individual posts is pointless, people only used it to make jokes
Not really. It was a useful way to draw attention to your post if you needed to, like if you were posting something that people have been waiting for.
>>
>>476423
It's the only way to defeat trolls and spammers. These people LOVE getting angry sage-replies.
Getting 0 replies means that they have lost completely, it's not funny to make a thread that gets ignored completely.
>>
>>476390
Which would be great and all except you can't stop retards from doing it. Ignoring a shit thread only allows it to continue in peace.
Reports are a joke on most boards and even CP can last for hours on some.
>>
>>476471
Sage doesn't actually lower a post, it just doesn't bump the thread.
By writing an angry sage-reply you are just giving the troll what he wants: attention. Not replying is the way to go.
>>
>>476423
>>476440
But at this state all the other trolls/spammers reply to these shitty baits
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.