[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone remind me why if I kick an large object it suffers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: 1457353575182.png (897 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1457353575182.png
897 KB, 540x960
Can someone remind me why if I kick an large object it suffers from the impact, but when I kick a very small object it just moves?
>>
>>472764
Both are the same physical concept. The large object has more mass to resist your kick combined with the gravity.
e=m*c2
>>
File: 0031-balloons.png (82 KB, 1000x618) Image search: [Google]
0031-balloons.png
82 KB, 1000x618
>>472764
This is a pretty great question, Anon. An in depth answer is really complex!

Firstly, the two seperate objects might not be made out of the same things. There's probably more empty space inside the larger object. For example, if you have two balloons that are different sizes, the thickness of the membrane that's holding the air inside is the same, which means that the larger balloon is more air and less membrane. So if you kick the smaller balloon, there's more membrane, and it goes flying, but if you kick the larger balloon, the membrane can't withstand the force needed to launch it, so it pops when you hit it too hard!

Meanwhile, if you had a balloon that was both larger and also made out of a much thicker membrane, then it would also just move!

You can read more about this concept here if you feel inspired to learn!
http://www.dinosaurtheory.com/scaling.html
>>
>>472764
You should probably ask some physics major on >>>/sci/ to copypaste something from his college textbook
>>
>>474394
The force needed to move a large object is larger than a small object, but the force needed to damage a large object is the same as a small object.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.