[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this an accurate assessment of 4Chan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: chan_culture_0.png (112 KB, 1202x603) Image search: [Google]
chan_culture_0.png
112 KB, 1202x603
Is this an accurate assessment of 4Chan?
>>
File: redditlol.png (74 KB, 1181x745) Image search: [Google]
redditlol.png
74 KB, 1181x745
>>467471
nah, reddit's hivemind is very different than 4chan's.

https://sense2vec.spacy.io/?socjus|NOUN
>>
>>467471

back to r/eddit
>>
>>467471

I frequent Reddit and I will say that Reddit is more of a circlejerk because anyone can make a subreddit and people are more likely to subscribe to subreddits that mirror their own views. Meanwhile on 4chan we're all thrown into the same pot with the only boards being based on broad interests.

Although I think the conversations on Reddit are higher quality but I really do prefer the image board format.
>>
>4Chan
>reddit screencap
Christ, fuck off back to your site.
>>
>>467477
>>467486

>4chan totally isn't a hivemind guys

:/
>>
>>467488
>:/
You're not helping yourself, underage...
>>
>>467490

>>:/

Get the fuck out
>>
>>467492
You're the one here being a cancerous newfag, underage.
>>
>>467496

>newfag

Only newfags newfag, newfriend.
>>
>>467499
>using an old damage control created by "newcomers" to defend yourself
Pathetic. Just go back to your site, underage newfag.
>>
4chan's users have no means by which to exclude content or people they don't like. There's no voting system, and the mods barely do their jobs in keeping the site free of rulebreaking content, let alone having the time to curate the board to suit their personal tastes. There's no accounts, no persistent identity of any kind except tripcodes, whose use is controversial pretty much everywhere on the site. So there's no inner circle bullying either.

So where comes this "hivemind" the embittered outsiders complain about? If 4chan can't actually silence people who dissent why do people claim they were run off the board? It's simple: they're spineless wimps. They couldn't handle people calling them and their ideas shit, so they ran away and claim the site is an echo chamber. The reality is it's a giant mosh pit of angry anonymous nerds shitting on each other, and their delicate sensibilities can't handle it. They need structure and rules to protect their feefees.

If there is a hivemind, it's caused by Redditors fleeing the site when they come under attack. Only ideas that can withstand the shitstorm of this place end up taking root. If your ideas can only survive in a carefully maintained habitat that excludes anything too contrary and harsh, then it's probably a weak idea that has no merit at all.
>>
>>467521
>4chan's users have no means by which to exclude content or people they don't like
How new ARE you?
Some boards are certainly worse at it than others, but the reason underhanded troll threads are such a prevalent part of each respective board's culture is because people recognize the meta. That meta being the hivemind and how it will react to certain subject matter and posts.
>>
>>467490
>>467496
>>467501
Are you just spewing buzzwords now you autistic retard?
>>
>>467526
None of which has the power to stop people from posting on this site. There's nothing excluding people or their ideas from any board on 4chan except their own willingness to post them. You don't get banned here because your opinion is unpopular. Your posts don't get downvoted into oblivion. You don't get shadow-banned for being controversial.

No, instead you get trolled, shitposted, and argued at by people who have no more power than you do. The playing field is exactly level, there's nothing in the favor of those who shit on your Reddit threads except perhaps a great deal more familiarity with the ins and outs of this website. Which also is no secret. You can gain the same familiarity just by lurking more. But Redditors don't want to lurk because they find this place detestable.
>>
ITT: Everyone proves OP's point
>>
>>467496
>>467521
>hurr dorr I'll call him a newfag
>>
>>467531
I don't see how any of that contradicts that 4chan culture is a hivemind, actually considering that you wrote that unpopular opinion will get trolled and shitposted it seems like you're actually contradicting yourself and proving the redditor right.
>>
>>467529
If you hate 4chan, go back to re ddit, I honestly don't care that some autists think 4chan is a hivemind, but if they come here trying to tell me how to change it they can fuck right off. people here because they like it, stop trying to change shit that affects you in no way whatsoever you nosey cunt
>>
>>467531
>None of which has the power to stop people from posting on this site.
Way to move that goalpost, you said excluding content or people which 4chan has a rich history of doing, which is why 'containment' and splinter groups are historically formed.

Are you so new that you don't remember moot trolling /a/ with Naruto graphics and music and shit for a week before making a soapbox post about how it belongs there, because it was pretty much boxed out of having threads since 4chan's induction to the point where Naruto threads were on /co/ for a while.

Anything or anyone we don't like as a board, or a site-culture [read: hivemind], is shitposted to death, ignored, or deleted as a troll thread by mods.
>>
>>467543
I hate both 4chan and reddit, but reddit is slightly worse, where else can I go retard?
>>
>>467521
Are you saying that if an idea can't withstand criticism of any kind then it's a weak one?
I agree with that with one change:
If an idea can't withstand rational criticism then it's a weak one.
Also if an idea can only be argued non rationally then it's a weak one.
>>467537
This
>>
>>467471
>reddit butthurt

It's like the only place they know is /pol/. definitely sounded not raiding at all.
>>
>>467529
Ironic, because "buzzword" is a buzzword.
>>
>>467471
It is. There are few acceptable opinions and the rest get shitposted down.
>>
> 2008
> 4chan is mostly liberal albeit with racist jokes and saying you were a Christfag got you shitposted to death
> 2016
> 4chan is mostly conservative and extremlu rascist and saying you're atheist gets you shitposted to death

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>467570
Nice damage control buzzword baby
>>
>>467573
Damage control is also a buzzword.
>>
>>467572
There were always christian vs atheists threads on 4chan.
>>
>>467572
(you)
>>
>>467575

Yes but the the vast majority of posts were anti-christian and posting a pro-christian thread and rhetoric was the in vogue default trolling back then
>>
>>467579
No, it was like 60% atheists and 40% christians.
>>
>>467572
>>467579

>What the fuck happened?

we took the red one
>>
>>467584
Nigger please.

It was 60% atheists, 39% self-proclaimed "agnostics" who wanted to troll the atheists and maybe 1% actual Christians.
>>
>>467471
>Is this an accurate assessment of 4Chan?

Yes and no. You're entitled to your viewpoint, but that isn't going to stop dozens of /pol/tards from self-moderating the thread or drowning you out. We're all anonymous, so we're all on equal ground regardless. It's not like there's a username and reputation attached to your posts, unless you go out of your way to tripfag, in which case fuck you.

Still, /pol/lacks will try to pigeon-hole other anons into some retarded left / right dichotomy and dismiss opinions based on that. "Don't agree with me? YOU'RE A LEFTIST! GTFO!"

>"Also the irony of championing free speech while not allowing it to protestors."

Yeah, but these protestors are going out of their way to disrupt these events and trying to prevent Trump from having any platform for expressing his views in the first place. That in itself is an act of suppression. I don't agree with anyone being disruptive like this, regardless of the candidate's political beliefs. And fuck no, I don't support Trump.
>>
File: photo.jpg (25 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
25 KB, 437x437
>>467596
>>
>>467603
So you want to unironically tell me that you believe in Christianity?
>>
File: 7.png (1 MB, 948x1448) Image search: [Google]
7.png
1 MB, 948x1448
>>467596
Let me rephrase it:
It was 59% atheits and 1% people who don't believe in God but respect it.
And it also had 10% of agnostics, 17% christians and 3% people who believe in God but also believe in Big Bang.
>>
>>467547
anywhere you fucking want, this is a web 1.0 anime imageboard from 2003 you really aren't missing out on anything by not browsing here

just go do something somewhere else, there's more than two sites on the whole internet, and if you do want to post here, don't come and winge if we disagree with you or tell you to fuck off. either heed the advice or accept that some anonymous people on a shitty forum have similar opinions and it really is not a fucking big deal, maybe it's why they started browsing here in the first place
>>
How do we convince people that "Reddit" is not an argument?

More generally, how do we convince people who don't have an argument to take their time and think of one instead of shitposting?
>>
>>467622
how do we convince redditors like you to leave?
>>
>>467521
>>4chan's users have no means by which to exclude content or people they don't like.
What are filters?
What is thread derailing?
What is shitting on dissent until they give up after realizing there's no way it will ever be rationally discussed?

>>It's simple: they're spineless wimps. They couldn't handle people calling them and their ideas shit, so they ran away and claim the site is an echo chamber.
Of course they'll leave, how can you rationally discuss a point with a bunch of close-minded retards that see an opinion that goes against their consensus, plugs their ears and starts screaming "it's shit!" over and over again? How is that not an echo chamber? How is that any different from a subreddit moderator just cutting out the middleman and banning them outright? Either way, the dissent will not be heard or considered by the majority.
>>
>>467604

I do.
>>
>>467479

Yeah I find reddit threads painful to read if just for the formatting.
>>
>>467670
>how can you rationally discuss a point with a bunch of close-minded retards that see an opinion that goes against their consensus, plugs their ears and starts screaming "it's shit!" over and over again?
You make a fairly lon, clear and accurate tldr that can turned into an image macro.
You're also supposed to ask one of the "its shit" posters "why", but you probably never tried that.
Go try it sometime on something that itst generic bait. Seriously.
>>
>>467572
we grew up.
>>
>>467471
Five minutes on /pol/ will show you a wide variety of opinions. Admittedly, a lot of them support Trump only to annoy people, or at least pretend to support him. He's the flavor of the month / year.
>>
As a gommie on /pol/, this place is not a hivemind. You can hold unpopular ideas and defend them without downvotes or banhammers; the worst that can happen is being called names or having to argue with a lot of people at once.
>>
>>468823

/pol/ is in fact so much of a hivemind that the mods automatically assume you're trolling when you post a liberal opinion.
>>
>>467486
>>4Chan
>C
>>
>>467584
Which it still is, the current vogue is to >fedora any staunch atheist position even if you are one.
>>
4chan allows multiple viewpoints in a certain range.

For example left wing people find it basically impossible to have discussion on 4chan, even on /sci/ you will find climate change threads shitposted off the earth with /pol/ image dumps.

Yet within the right, debate and discussion is allowed, Fascists tolerate Libertarians and Ancaps and vice-versa.

This is why /pol/ says it "allows different views" when in reality it doesn't. Everyone on /pol/ is arguing over the same shit.
>>
>>468926
Everyone knows climate change is real, even if they don't buy into Al Gore's bullshit.
>>
>>469019
>the EPA is hurting the small business free-enterprise market that drives America
>>
>>467521
>4chan's users have no means by which to exclude content or people they don't like.
Are you fucking shitty me?
On any legacy and popular board, the moment you post something which doesn't conform to the given hivemind within the cancerous general (9/10 threads are going to be a general of some sort), you are going to be shitposted to death.

That's how manchildren exclude ideas from a discussion, by digitally 'shouting' out it and acting like an insufferable cunt till the anon gives up and leaves. 4chan is like one big bee keeping experiment, with each board representing a different sectioned off area for hives of a different species of bee.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.