[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: when a shitposter knows they're banned they just get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: image20160310-27893-skzrxd.jpg (37 KB, 350x368) Image search: [Google]
image20160310-27893-skzrxd.jpg
37 KB, 350x368
Fact: when a shitposter knows they're banned they just get a new IP and continue shitposting.

Fact: blatantly banning people isn't working.

Fact: shitposters shitpost to get a reaction.

Thus mods should use shadow bans instead. Let the shitposters shitpost and think they're not banned and writh around when no one replies to their shitpost
>>
To be able to shadowban the site would need to have account registration. Which I honestly think would not be a bad idea if your posts were still anonymous (with tripcodes as an option). Only the mods would be able to see your account name.

This would also add more gravity to a ban so shadowbanning would actually become less necessary.
>>
>>464873

Can't they just shadow ban the IP address?
>>
>>464872

> Fark

Shit, that's a site I haven't heard about in a long time. I actually bought a Total Fark subscription. They then shadow banned my ass but didn't inform me. I didn't notice for a while and was basically paying cash money dollars to be banned. Fucking pissed me off.
>>
>>464876
>They then shadow banned my ass but didn't inform me.

Um, yes. That's how shadow bans work.
>>
>>464874
Unfortunately, no.
>>
>>464872
This has been suggested so many fucking times. The answer is no. Besides hellbans being a fucking cunt of a thing and incredibly easy to abuse, it won't work on 4chan. Putting aside the problems of implementing it, detecting a hellban isn't exactly hard and the tools to do so will quickly be implemented in 3rd party extensions and shit. They will then be quickly circumvent. If there is one thing 4chan users are good at, its dodging ever type of ban. If you implemented evercookie bans, you'll find people will just as quickly find ways to dodge those as well. It doesn't matter if you even made a new ban type.

We don't need some cunt shady new ban system, we need proper moderation. Go back to /q/.
>>
>>464872

Shadowbanning is just as obvious. If you never get a reply, then you can just open the site on your phone and look at your post.

It's actually worse than normal banning because it causes severe distrust between mods and users.
Have you ever seen Reddit users posting? Those fuckers are on eggshells. Shadowbanning just makes everyone paranoid.

This site needs more transparency. None of this "disappearing" shit like other sites. 4chan moderation has become circlejerky and obscure enough.
>>
>>464872

>considered underhanded chicken-shit behavior

Your own image tells us why we dont have it.
Go back 2 Reddit.
>>
>>464877

I understand that but I think it's a scumbag move to shadow ban a paying user. Total Fark was a monthly charge thus when I renewed my subscription it was under false pretenses as I was led to believe my posting was visible when it wasn't
>>
This is the dumbest idea anyone could ever ask for.
>>
>>464930
That's why it's posted on /qa/.
>>
>shadowban
It's hellban, fucking redditor, HELLBAN.
Go back to R, cancer.
>>
>>464872
I'm all for it, regular bans don't do anything
>>
>>464898
>it's a scumbag move

Who cares? Shitposters *are* scumbags. No one should be worried about their feelings.
>>
Hellbanning only works on dymanic pages.

4chan does not use dynamic pages.

Opinions aside, this is literally not possible with the way the site is right now and would require a complete re-write of site code (and more powerful servers, and viable DDoS protection etc).
>>
I suggested an alternative to banning and shadow banning - interdiction.

Troublesome users get artificial captcha rejections, random post failures, deliberate throttling of upload speed, delayed thread/post updates.

It would have to be somewhat intermittent and random to avoid easy detection.
>>
>>465139
i love this
>>
>>465055
this
now fuck off back to réddit, OP
>>
>>464976

No one should be worried about your feelings either.
>>
>>465161
well nobody should care about yours either then:^)
>>
>>465139
Jesus. That's even more shady than shadowbanning and would just make everyone think the site is broken.
>>
>>465167
Well, yeah. That's how an open discussion forum works.

This is why I don't trust hellbans and the people that use them.
The type of person that thinks it is ok to be a passive aggressive little shit about everything is the same type of person that would ban certain opinions and call it "shitposting."

This is why these kind of bans have such a bad reputation. The people that use these systems are simply terrible moderators.

I'm glad its impossible to use on 4chan without announcing it to everyone.
>>
>shitpost
>get new IP
>clear cookies
>refresh window
>check whether your shitpost still shows up

Yeah, shadow bans are pretty useless.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.