[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vn/ - Visual Novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: best girl.png (484 KB, 631x476) Image search: [Google]
best girl.png
484 KB, 631x476
I'm going to just make a brief argument for a visual novels board so please hear me out. I realize the idea was tabled during the moot era, but I think a case can be made for the creation of a /vn/ board.

First, I realize we have /vn/ on /vg/ as well as some visual novel posts in /jp/. However, it undeniably forms a large part of people's consumption of Japanese culture, and the resident otaku of 4chan spend a great deal of time both reading VNs and discussing them.

Second, people in the VN general on /vg/ tend to grow weary of posters saturating the thread with discussion of specific visual novels or IPs (Fate is a good example of this). It would be much easier for them to have meaningful discussions if they could have individual threads for different games or properties.

Third, there are a ton of VNs to discuss and it is often a crapshoot whether you'll find people in /vg/ who are familiar with or willing to discuss the VN that you are currently reading. If you could start a thread on a VN board, however, the topic would have more visibility and there's the possibility that people would slowly reply to the thread over the course of a few days.

Fourth, and most importantly, 4chan contains a lot of people who work on fan translations of projects, and having a large board for visual novels would make it easier for specific projects to maintain visibility and provide status updates as well as assessing interest.

Fifth, interest in VNs has been rapidly growing lately due to the higher number of localized projects that are making their way to Western shores, so I think a new board for visual novels would recognize that.

Finally, I think a VN board would actually help promote the medium to people who are curious about it and get new people invested in it, increase awareness about visual novels in general, and expand the pool of discussion, which would benefit the community of VN readers by giving them more discussion partners.

Thanks Hiro, keep being cool.
>>
I like the idea of a Visual Novel board.

It can also redefine the rules of /jp/, which is a nice thing, and make it more of what it was originally supposed to be about, Japanese culture in general.
>>
I don't understand why you couldn't just use >>>/co/ for that.
>>
>>463279
/jp/ would pretty much become a touhou board.
>>
>>463275
Please, we have too many /v/ offshoot boards as it is.
>>
Just use /a/ - 2D/Random.
>>
>>463275
As much as I would like the idea of a board for VNs, I think it is a bad idea.
All you would be doing is transferring the generals from /vg/ to it plus the VNTS and the untranslated VN threads from /jp/. /vn/ and the other VN related generals are already struggling for content and discussion without it being split across a whole board. All that would happen is we would get is a crappy general for each popular VN and not enough posters and content in them to keep it fresh. Any discussion for less popular stuff will be pushed off the board for another Fate etc thread.
I think the way it is now is the better compromise since all it will be doing is creating a pseudo general board which is already catered for with /vg/, while the niche untranslated stuff sits well with /jp/ right now. No need to take one of few things /jp/ still has a use for.
>>
>>463275
Useless dead board. Just use /jp/. moot turned the your fad board down for a reason.
>>
>>463275
sauce for pic?
>>
>>464918
That's the visual novel "The Fruit of Grisaia." Just pirate it, the company selling it is a bunch of fucking scumbags that co-opted the translation.
>>
>>>/jp/
>>
>>463275
I like your idea but your reasoning is shit.

The main reason we need this board is because /jp/ is a garbage board and if you create any thread about a visual novel they will incessantly shitpost and pretend to know Japanese, then create 50 more Touhou threads to try and push it off the board. And not Touhou discussion either. Memes. That's all /jp/ is.
>>
>>464949
>being this mad the /jp/sies didn't like your kuso visual novel
>>
>>465188

TL note: kuso means shit
>>
>>465188
Even if you make a thread about a old classic VN once beloved by /jp/ (with a few exceptions) it's not going to go very far.

Even if it doesn't get shitposted in (which I haven't seen in a while, but probably because people don't make those threads anymore) it'll still be pretty dead.
>>
>>465191
>it'll still be pretty dead
Maybe because the older classics have been talked to death? Even in /vn/ you may only get a few posters reply to you if you want to talk about something older and not go on about who is the best girl.
It is the same reason why old anime isn't discussed much on /a/ and also why making a board just for VNs wouldn't work out beyond the first few weeks.
>>
>>465854
>Maybe because the older classics have been talked to death?
F/SN, Higurashi/Umineko, and the older Touhou games have all been talked to death but still occasionally get threads because they have dedicated old fans and occasional new interest.

>and not go on about who is the best girl.
I guess that's most of the reason for anything.
>>
>>465873
The threads are usually more iamge dumps than discussion most of the time as well as being pretty slow bar the Fate ones and that is normally people arguing over best girl or trolling over the Lore and even then they aren't that active since most of the Fate discussion (and shitposting) happens on /a/.
Even the current Umineko thread on /jp/ is 7 days old and half of it is just image dumps.

Don't really see why it warrants a whole new board since /jp/ along with /vg/ (with a side of /a/ for some things) still does the job fine. A new board isn't going to magically make make more things to discuss happen only just spread the already thinly discussed content over an even larger area.
>>
i'm okay with this if you're welcoming to newcomers, on an unrelated note the onlyu vn i've polayed through is stein's;gate reccomend me some?
>>
test
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.