[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when 8gag rallied on /qa/ to get people to jump ship?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 1456881714576.png (62 KB, 914x868) Image search: [Google]
1456881714576.png
62 KB, 914x868
Remember when 8gag rallied on /qa/ to get people to jump ship?

How does this image make you feel?
>>
Blame the cripple for being a lazy ass and Josh for being a incompetent, lying thief with serious mental issues
>>
>>458137
What am I supposed to see here?
>>
oh, hey! that's my board!
>>
>>458137
I try not to think of 8gag, ever. Why are you bringing it up again?
>>
8gag tried too hard to be the new 4chan. They tried too hard to replace 4chan. 7chan did this in 2006, now pretty much nobody uses it. Meanwhile, 420chan, an alternative for 4chan, has 40k users. Why? Because they didn't try to replace 4chan.
>>
>>458138
Everything's right but the thief part; Hotwheels told Josh to use AGPL and then blamed Josh for his own decision when it created problems.
>>
>>458190
did you actually read the logs?
>>
>The majority of the most active boards are literally boards that are already on 4chan
>They're not even that active
>Only real special thing about it is "I am tired of 4chan's current policies, this is my home now"
>>458188
Pretty much, if you want a good imageboard, do something unique or alternative, don't just make a 4chan clone and then leech off of 4chan drama just to attract the whole "Fuck 4chan, I'm going somewhere else" crowd, which most of them are going to leave after a month or so anyways.
>>
>>458193
If anything it was Hotwheels tried to "steal" the project by making copyright claims he knew were bogus. They had already fallen out by then, but that certainly made things worse.
>>
File: 140408983856.png (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
140408983856.png
35 KB, 640x480
>>>/wsg/973340

Feel free to point and laugh.
>>
>>458201
so you didn't read the logs...no wonder, it's one big pile of tl;dr crap, i'm surprised that i even bothered with it
>>
>>458205
Was there something else that he stole?
>>
>>458202
Its like the entire site is composed of the same people who make /v/ screencaps (which really isn't that implausible).
>>
>>458210
some ideas and code
>>
i do wish 4chan would support VP9 webms though.. any doubts I had about the playback performance of them were shattered when I found out how to download and snip pre-encoded Youtube VP9 vids and then post them without re-encoding (which would take all day).

From 8gag they play flawlessly (on both my cell phone and my computer), and the compression ratio is fucking amazing.

Just let us post VP9, Hiro! Why the fuck not?
>>
>>458232
Welllllll perhaps you should campaign for it.
>>
I still like their /v/ more than ours.
same with their /b/ when it isn't getting spammed.
a good deal of the nonlegacy boards are okay too.
>>
>>458188
This;moot said it better in his last qa.
>>
File: >8gag.jpg (265 KB, 960x635) Image search: [Google]
>8gag.jpg
265 KB, 960x635
>>458138
8gag failed because just like all the previous fails, it tried to be 'the new 4chan'. These have always failed and always will. Also, because of pic related.
>>
>>458282
>>458188
stop spewing bullshit if you don't know a thing and do some actual lurking
>>
>>458285
No one needs to lurk to know why 8gag is shit and failed. Unlike the people who used it, some of us have been here for a while and have seen this happen multiple times. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You are the one who needs to lurk if you think it flopped because of management issues.
>>
>>458188
>8gag tried too hard to be the new 4chan. They tried too hard to replace 4chan.

Not really, they have a very different approach with the user created and user moderated boards.
I personally don't like that, but some people might like it. 8gag should go shill on r.eddit, that's where they can find new users.
>>
>>458289
>No one needs to lurk
typical newshit mentality
>some of us have been here for a while
>Those who don't learn from history
another retarded arguments because you didn't spend even 5 minutes on research
back to lurking, you massive faggot, stop pretending to know shit
>>
>>458285
The site was pretty much doomed the second they started shilling it as "4chan refugee site". Kinda sad since it had a pretty nice thing going for it with the whole "Want an anonymous image board with that subject? Make your own here!" approach, but thanks to dumb shilling (going for the whole "Yeah, moot fucked up, let's just have a mass exodus to here" approach of leeching off recent shitstorms) and shitty management, it just went down a steep slope into death.

Moral of the story, don't leech off of 4chan drama for imageboard audience, most of the people who you're going to attract are 4chan newfags who will later become [prefix here]chan oldfags who will turn it into a small elitist circlejerk that no one will want to bother getting into.
>>
>>458301
Typical newfag, can't even fucking use a shift key. No wonder you are a stupid retard who thinks his shit 4chan clone was good and didn't fail because it was a shitty "NEW 4CHAN" clone.
>>
>>458305
>lowercase argument
>ever
>bullshit again
back to lurking, you lazy shit
>>458302
and who the fuck do you think shilled it, eh?
give it a GOOD thought before you reply
>>
>>458308
You are the one who needs to lurk if you think typing like a fucking retard is acceptable. Fuck off and go back to your cancerchan.
>>
>>458309
cry me a river named orthography
>>
>>458308
>and who the fuck do you think shilled it, eh?
A shit ton of people with fake screencaps and logs, pasta, etc
>>
gb2/8gag, faggots, nobody here cares if 8gag dies tomorrow
>>
>>458312
lemme copypaste it for you:
>give it a GOOD thought before you reply
>>
>>458302
>Kinda sad since it had a pretty nice thing going for it
Webms with sound on all boards and multiple images to a post are rad as hell to this day.

I haven't visited 8ch in months but I kept my finger on its pulse for a very long time. Its pretty /comfy/ honestly. Is it about to get shut down or something?
>>
>>458347
it's doing fine
>>
>>458137
>Remember when 8gag rallied on /qa/ to get people to jump ship?

No, not really.
When did that happen?

>How does this image make you feel?

I don't understand what it is I'm looking at.
>>
File: 1455428372131.png (211 KB, 503x446) Image search: [Google]
1455428372131.png
211 KB, 503x446
>"Let's migrate to another chan that has better mods and supports freedom of speech!"
>1 year later
>GooberGate is dead, 8/v/ is run by a group of tripfags, 8/pol/ is literally Stormfront 2.0, the other boards are either dead or worse than their 4chan counterparts, Dudley sold out his users, and his site (Which he doesn't even own anymore) is broken beyond repair
>>
I tried that website for a few months. I didn't like it because it felt like the userbase is almost entirely made up of the people I like least on /v/. Edgy, contrarian, holier than thou, double standard, anything that makes you feel good is the right thing (as long as we agree with it)... Just a hivemind circlejerk with few morals and poor rules and management. It really felt like a website run by kids. Even 4chan moderation has a greater sense of professionalism about it. The moderation here can feel whimsical, but I have never felt that 4chan was run by angsty teenagers that act like they're going to change the world. 8 wants to be an elite, organized group of teenagers that will change the world to their hypocritical standards. 4chan just wants to be fun and happy.
>>
>>458232
Damn autismo, directly ripping YT is exactly why 4chan needs even harsher limits on webms. Limits force people to create original content specifically for 4chan (loops, carefuly cut scenes, montages, etc).

VP9 doesn't bring anything to 4chan anyway, besides helping shitter rip from youtube.
>>
>>458232
We already have a whole board for youtube rips >>>/f/
>>
>>458543
VP9 + 40 second length limitation on all boards. No audio outside of /gif/ and /wsg/. There. You get good quality, while forcing idiots to find original/limited (quality control) content to post instead of putting a YouTube video on 4chan. If you want to show someone a long video with audio, let Google or another website worry about server space.

>>458613
I hate those people. They need to stop making garbage quality YouTube rip flashes. No, posting a 3/4 minute music video that's ripped from YouTube and compressed like hell is not quality content.
>>
>>458282

It failed because it offered itself up as a platform for "free speech" (i.e. a place for Stormfags to converge and whine about their boogeymen unchecked) Naturally, Stormfags took this privilege and ran it into the ground, so now 8gag is yet another flaming pile of Stormshit.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.