[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a cult following of people in Japan that watch Japanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: .jpg (12 KB, 309x163) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
12 KB, 309x163
Is there a cult following of people in Japan that watch Japanese dubbed/subbed cartoons like Archer, family guy etc?

Like a parallel of a weab?
>>
>>457378
>Like a parallel of a weab?

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of popular shows from the U.S. are dubbed and broadcast in Japan as part of the networks' regular programming.
>>
Weeb doesn't mean you watch anime, it means you hate your origin country enough you'd be willing to throw away your identity to try and live in japan.
Funny enough there's something called Paris syndrome where japanese people visit paris and when it's not the perfect utopia they think it should be the suffer psychiatric breakdowns.
>>
>>457440
K thanks
>>
>>457403
God, that's weird.
>>
>>457403
Wow. So Western animation is more popular in Japan than anime is in America?
>>
File: 1454618305134.png (236 KB, 409x378) Image search: [Google]
1454618305134.png
236 KB, 409x378
>>457467
>>457512
I heard there's a Western Cartoon board on 2chan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RlWeFW3Kkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACnX4E0XaY
>>
>>457544
I'd like to find it.
>>
>>457544
That's really weird.
>>
File: otonari_057.jpg (1 MB, 1115x1600) Image search: [Google]
otonari_057.jpg
1 MB, 1115x1600
>>457566
Not really, Japs have always been inspired by American media. Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy, was extremely inspired by Walt Disney.

Pic related, Yoh Yoshinari, is a big fan of Lauren Faust.

Don't forget how big of a westaboo Hideo Kojima is.

I think it's nice that we have such a big cultural exchange with Japan.
>>
File: 1456053116057.png (133 KB, 926x372) Image search: [Google]
1456053116057.png
133 KB, 926x372
>>457378
according to mr. smith here, they're called "toonaholics".
>>
>>457512
Not remotely. There are a few anime which have predictably stayed at the highest ratings for any tv animation, for years: Doraemon, Crayon Shinchan, Chibi Marukochan, Detective Conan, and One Piece. I don't see them being replaced in viewer ratings any time soon. One piece and Detective Conan can probably go on for another 5 years will filler content alone.
>>
>>457628
I have met three westaboos like this. They were German.
>>
>>457674
like, japanese obsessed with german culture? i don't think you can be a westaboo if you're from a western nation like germany (that's soon to change though).
>>
>>457676
No, I meant they were Germans obsessed with America. They wore American flags on their clothing, watched stuff in English exclusively (which is considered weird in Germany) and did shit like that. One of them made it her life goal to move here. That's literally all she wanted in life.
>>
File: 1456277205748.png (1 MB, 1200x810) Image search: [Google]
1456277205748.png
1 MB, 1200x810
>>457679
can't blame her, today's germany is a shithole. when your own constantly government throws you under the bus, the land of the free starts lookin real appealing.
>>
>>457681
>"land" of the "free"
>>
>>457674
Germany is part of the "west", you fucking idiot.
Stop conflating Burgerland with the western world. America is behind the rest of the western world.

>>457681
>when your own constantly government throws you under the bus, the land of the free starts lookin real appealing.
Let's just ignore the whole NSA thing, shall we?
>>
I'm sure they like western animation for many of the same reasons people here like anime: it's different from what you're used to every single day. It's exotic to them, and that alone will draw people to it.
>>
>>457378
>>457403
>dubbed

Yeah, no. weaboos don't like dubs and so are white washes.
>>
>>457679
Thats an Ameriboo

You can't be a westaboo if you already live in the West
>>
It's not unusual for countries to import TV series. LazyTown, an Icelandic series, has dozens of dubbed versions worldwide.

What's unusual is that the U.S. *doesn't* dub live action series like other countries do. We get some dubbed anime, but none of our networks want to pick up on live action sitcoms, crime dramas, or anything of that nature. I always figured it was due to cultural differences. People from the U.S. may not understand or identify with these series when the characters embrace totally different cultural norms.
>>
>>457813
LazyTown features a young girl who does a lot of gymnastic type movements and they knew damn well what they were doing when they imported it to their respective nations.

In respect to Japan and their imported tv and cinema, they don't really do a lot of dubbing, instead having subtitles more commonly. It's a good thing, though, as most re-dubs are shit compared to the original, even more so when the source language is very different. Dubs are basically for tards who can't scan text with basic comprehension.
>>
>>457722
>getting butthurt because people like America
I keked
>>
>>457686
>"the"

>>457722
american government:
tracks who you make phonecalls to
german government:
covers up tons of rapes, sexual assaults, and murders to give refugees a better name
personally i think one of these is significantly worse than the other
>>
>>457793
Weebs are retarded.
>>
>>457813
LazyTown is Icelandic? That's strange. Never knew.
>>
>>457834
>LazyTown features a young girl who does a lot of gymnastic type movements and they knew damn well what they were doing when they imported it to their respective nations.

You know, I assumed it was a show teaching kids about exercise and general advice/morals, like every other kids show.

What were they trying to do?
>>
>>457923
In a similar light, the Japanese also consider McDonalds and KFC to be Japanese brands, in the sense that their overseas counterparts operate in vastly different manners, and the domestic companies appeal to Japanese culture.

Its kind of like how, even though people know Nintendo is Japanese, Mario and Zelda don't have an intrinsically "Japanese" feel to them because you grew up and became familiar with the characters on your own terms.
>>
>>457927
Well, Mario's Italian, and Link's blonde with blue eyes, so they are less Japanese than KFC's mascot is American.
>>
File: 1426700243587.jpg (167 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1426700243587.jpg
167 KB, 1280x1024
>>457722
>Stop conflating Burgerland with the western world.
lmao, stay mad as your culture slowly gets Americanized
>>
File: 1456258185734.png (19 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1456258185734.png
19 KB, 1080x1920
>>
>>457512
Remember, anime was directly inspired by US comic books and US cartoons (Disney in particular). It's very much a two-way street.
>>
>>457378
>are there people outside murrica that watch murrican cartoons

Are you literally 8 years old?
>>
>>457927
It's like that most places. No one in any foreign country really considers McDonalds to be particularly "American" because it's been part of their local culture longer than they've had any kind of idea what "American culture" is.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.