[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiroyuki, start enforcing your own rules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: 1456259764344.jpg (36 KB, 403x389) Image search: [Google]
1456259764344.jpg
36 KB, 403x389
Third-party 4chan archives are cancer and violate >>>/global/rules/14. Posters own the content (as per 4chan's disclaimer) but we're not asked if our legally owned posts can be archived or not.

You're 4chan's admin, you have every right to get those archives closed down for stealing content.
>>
>>456923
That sounds like an awful lot of effort for him to go to for very little benefit. Do you think Hiro cares about third party archives that much?
>>
>>456924
And that sounds like a poor excuse to do nothing against rule breakers.
>>
>>456923
fuck that, I love the archives, you can easily see what people think of something or find whatever you want

search old filename, webm, reccommendation threads, anything is possible

just ask the archive owner to remove your post, I had a couple where I stupidly revealed personal information and they deleted it with no hassle after i requested it gone
>>
>>456929
>just ask the archive owner to remove your post, I had a couple where I stupidly revealed personal information and they deleted it with no hassle after i requested it gone
I've had my fair share of that and they didn't want to remove stuff. Even if you delete posts here, they're still archived in a bunch of other places, which is bullshit. This place is supposed to be ephemeral. If I wanted my posts and/or threads to stay up indefinitely, I'd use Reddit.

We have desustorage, 4plebs, etc. Why the fuck are there so many archives when one is bad enough already?
>>
>but we're not asked if our legally owned posts can be archived or not
why don't you sue the archives yourself, op?
>>
>>456935
Because it's a violation of 4chan's TOS (>>>/global/rules/14). As such, it affects everyone of us.
>>
File: 1338993800380s.jpg (8 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
1338993800380s.jpg
8 KB, 251x201
>>456932
Abloo boo, did little Anon post nudes of his ex on /b/ and now he's getting into trouble for it?
>>
>>456943
>implying /b/
Why the hell would I go there?
>>
>>456938
>implying most 4chan users don't like having many third party archive sites

I genuinely don't understand your outrage, or your expectation for some third party to follow 4chan's TOS.
>>
>>456949
>I genuinely don't understand your outrage, or your expectation for some third party to follow 4chan's TOS.
Refer to 4chan's disclaimer below: "All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster."

It's not outrage but concern.
>>
>>456938
if you don't want other people to use your property, you need to start legal action. you can't expect someone else to do it for you.

also, global rules are not terms of service. 4chan's only recourse for violation of the rules is banning someone from posting.
>>
I hope you realize Hiro did the exact same thing himself with 2ch.
>>
>>456955
>reading comprehension
>you
Nothing literally happened.
>>
>>456951
There is very little Hiro can do about a third party violating 4chan's TOS without suing, and if he really cared then sheekyforums wouldn't have existed for the past year like it has. moot knew about it before he left and he didn't do anything about it either.
>>
>>456953
>if you don't want other people to use your property, you need to start legal action. you can't expect someone else to do it for you.
I am well aware of that.
>also, global rules are not terms of service. 4chan's only recourse for violation of the rules is banning someone from posting.
Then explain global rule 14: "The use of scrapers, bots, or other automated posting or downloading scripts is prohibited. Users may also not post from proxies, VPNs, or Tor exit nodes."

Aren't third-parties violating this rule, which sounds more like a term of service?

>>456960
Your implication was that I visited /b/, to which I replied. I didn't mention the rest because I can't comment about absolutely nothing.
>>
File: qt.gif (2 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
qt.gif
2 MB, 540x540
>>456961
Well, that's a shame.
>>
File: 1424062791055.jpg (16 KB, 248x270) Image search: [Google]
1424062791055.jpg
16 KB, 248x270
>>456971
Yeah but it doesn't help to get all morally outraged over it like a /pol/lack at a bernie rally.
>>
>>456923
No, you're wrong. Hiro is not allowed to issue DMCA takedowns for our copyrighted material. That's our job. We have to submit DMCA requests to the 3rd party archives to get them to stop archiving our posts, Anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

Read up.
>>
>>456976
Example: [email protected] to remove stuff from 4plebs via DMCA request.

http://www.epicorg.com/sample-dmca-take-down-notice.html

And here's an example of what a typical DMCA request takedown letter looks like.

Good luck, Anon!
>>
>>456976
I think he's saying it is Hiro's responsibility as admin to sue them as violators of the 4chan 'TOS'

I'm the guy saying even if that's true, Hiro doesn't care that much.
>>
>>456980
The archives do more good than harm, they're a really useful source of information of everything from statistics to memes.

If you want something taken down either report it using FoolFuuka's report button or send a DMCA email with your posts
>>
>>456932
They don't all archive the same boards
I don't think there is any overlap with desustorage and 4plebs
>>
>>456976
>>456978
Is this applicable to people outside of the US?

>>456980
>'TOS'
Aren't 4chan's rules its own TOS? You implicitly and explicitly agree to them by using 4chan. There are global rules that can't exactly be applied to the posters, like in the case of the archives.

>>456988
OP here, I feel the same way about the archives.
>>
>>456994
It is applicable to SERVERS hosted inside the US, which includes 4plebs.org The person issuing the takedown doesn't need to be in the US, and if the server is outside the US then asking them, under US law, to take something down won't work, unless the US has treaties with the country in question.
>>
>>457036
I should note that different countries have DMCA-like things all the time, I just don't know what they are off hand.
>>
>>457036
>>457042
I see. Thanks for the info, Anon.
>>
seeing a lot of archives down
>>
sheekyforum is far worse, I've read that they assign faked usernames to all posts. I really don't like that.
>>
>>457340
Yeah, it's to trick advertisers and it works and it's hilarious.
>>
Every 3rd party archives that weren't the voting ones were a mistake and should of never been made.
>>
>>457389
>voting ones
???
>>
>>457410
Lurk moar.
>>
>>457389
The voting ones were fucking terrible. People would spam the thread with requests to archive the thread to 4chan archive.
>>
>>457583
That was still better than archiving every piece of literal garbage.
>>
>>457585
No it wasn't. One actually affected 4chan itself. The archives that archive everything can just be ignored. They're elsewhere. And if your objection is "People shouldn't have memories and proof of their memories" then you're an idiot.
>>
>>457586
Ignoring the opinions of archives for a second, you aren't actually supposed to have proof of memories for 4chan. Once a thread 404's, everything about that thread is meant to die with it, except for people memories of it.
>>
>>457589
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>457590
And that is how its meant to be.
>>
>>457592
So the thing is, I have pics now.
>>
>>456923
Anon, hiro himself made an illegal 3rd party archive for the site hr used to work on, which eventually gave rise to 4chan itself. Why would he be against this when he can access and harvest their data for his data analytics company?
>>
>>457589
You do realise that threads also exist as cached entries in search engines, don't you? Google actually profits off this, unlike places like desu, fireden, rebeccablack, warosu, etc.
>>
>>457647
Who cares what google does. Google probably has a cached entry, even if it isn't public, of every web page in existence in their eternal desire to gain as much information of the world and its people as possible.
>>
File: reddit-alien.png (47 KB, 736x1024) Image search: [Google]
reddit-alien.png
47 KB, 736x1024
>>457586
>And if your objection is "People shouldn't have memories and proof of their memories" then you're an idiot.
Pic related exists.
>>
>>457741
And what exactly does that have to do with 4chan?
>>
>>457884
If you don't want to lose your memories, use sites with account systems and non-expiring threads.

Archives literally miss the point of imageboards.
>>
>>457956
Not being able to remember what people post is the point of imageboards, huh?

See, I was under the impression that the point was to post images.
>>
File: 1449699354483.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1449699354483.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>457964
Yes, it's to post images, ephemerally.
>>
>>456929
>just ask the archive owner to remove your post
Why even have an archive if you're going to remove posts from it? That's not how a real-world archive works. Imagine if a politician could just walk in to an archive and ask them to remove sensitive stuff from his past.
>>
>>457981
That's just emergent behavior. Futaba wasn't designed with that in mind. It was designed with limited storage capabilities in mind. Limited storage isn't a problem in the modern day. And archives provide new emergent behavior.
>>
File: 1443994273659.png (177 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1443994273659.png
177 KB, 500x446
>>457993
I consent to posting on 4chan but not to getting my posts archived by an unauthorized third-party that is not related to 4chan.
>>
>>458005
Take it up with them, then.
>>
>>456923
i wish there was archive that didn't die and lose everything.
>>
>>456951
Because the poster owns it and not 4chan, 4chan cannot do anything about it.
But you, as the poster, can attempt to get the material that you publicly release online taken down. Just keep in mind that posting it on a very public site means there's no implied or explicit expectation of privacy or retained control and the best you can hope for is the third parties removing things as a courtesy.
>>
>scrapers
>what da fuck are APIs hurr durr
>>
>>458479
Unauthorized third parties stealing content is a violation of US law.
>>
>>458633
It's not stealing. It's copyright infringement :^)
>>
>>458633
you might as well start crying that anyone who screencaps a 4chan post and reposts it elsewhere is a criminal. Kill yourself you fucking crybaby
>>
>>457389
>people had to vote if they wanted to archive something

Quite literally fucking reddit. I went through it when it wasn't dead and most threads were fucking garbage or just down right non-memorable.
>>
>>458678
Hell, screencapping a 4chan post and then posting the screencap ON 4CHAN would be criminal.
>>
>>458633
Who says they're in America or even in a country with an extradition treaty with America?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 750x750
>>456923
No OP, stealing means we take your posts.

What we are doing is simply making a copy, your post is still yours and nothing was taken from you- understand?
>>
>>458633
>stealing
you might want to look up what that word actually means before throwing it around like that. Fucking retard
>>
>>458713
ARCHIVE THIS SHIT
>>
>>456923
the archives are really useful for finding old posts and shit, if you want your psots taken down contact the archive. hiro's not gonna do shit because i'm sure the vast majority of this website either doesn't care or feels positively towards them. or just shit here in your bait thread and cry about it.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.