[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tying 4chan passes with IP bans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: ticket.jpg (45 KB, 761x216) Image search: [Google]
ticket.jpg
45 KB, 761x216
I was banned because I happened to post in a thread where shitposting was happening. I've now found out that the ban follows you based off your 4chan pass. I remember that was something Moot promised would never happen. I feel betrayed by this, and wonder if I should refrain from renewing my pass in the future. I only bought the pass to support the website.
>>
>>456539
I'm sorry moot rused you. See, the funny thing is you're not supposed to evade your ban. Weird, huh?
>>
>>456548
I would at least like to know what post it was I was banned for. No link to it on the banned page.
>>
>>456539
>I remember that was something Moot promised would never happen.

He never said that, fucking newfag.

I've had a 4chan pass since they were first introduced and if you got banned whilst using a pass and tried to use the same pass on a different IP, the ban always followed.
>>
>>456539
I encourage you and everyone else to not renew their passes, because:

1. Hiroyuki runs ads that attempt to infect the userbase with malware. He should not be given financial support.

2. Buying passes encourages Hiroyuki to make posting more difficult for non-pass users.
>>
>>456558
But I want non pass users to have a difficult time. And I want people who don't use adblock to become infected with malware.

I'm renewing my pass right now. In fact, I'm gonna buy a second one. Do you want a 4chan pass?
>>
>he bought a 4chan pass
>he's ban evading right now
>he's going to get banned AGAIN
If only buying a 4chan pass revomed that person from the genepool permanently.
>>
>>456554
>He never said that, fucking newfag.
yes he did, he said passes will never be used to track users, tying that pass your ban record(and therefore your IP) is clearly breaking that promise.
>>
>>456592
Being the sort of person who buys a 4chan pass heavily overlaps with being the sort of person who doesn't reproduce. Don't worry, Anon. I'm never having kids.
>>
>>456594
That isn't actually what he meant. He meant track users offshore like the way facebook and google do. He didn't mean logging your IP with respect to bans.
>>
>>456539
Yeah sorry about this bro. The good news ("good") is that if you log out of the pass for a shitpost, that ban won't stick to you after you reset your router.

Maybe if we ask Hiro, as pass holders he will rewrite the rules on ban evasion to be less faggy and goonish, he does seem like a bro.

>>456554
You're a liar, he promised on /q/ that the 4chan passes wouldn't ban you. moot lied too.

>>456606
It doesn't matter what he "meant", what matters is what he typed was a lie.
>>
>>456635
>as pass holders he will rewrite the rules on ban evasion to be less faggy and goonish, he does seem like a bro.
Pass holders don't deserve any form of rights other than not getting captcha. We don't need 4chan to become a p2post site. The point of the passes was so you could donate to the site and atleast get something a little nifty in return. In this case, its to not have captchas. It shouldn't get anything else. Fuck off.

He also never lied, you just are simply fucking retarded and misinterpreted what he said, despite everyone else getting what he said. You are delusional if you think bans wouldn't follow passes. The point of captcha was to stop spam bots and people like accel spammer. Not having following bans is simply allowing them to exist again.
>>
>>456606
>>456635
I think it does matter what he "meant" but either way passes were not originally tied to IP, and they are now.
this is not a welcome change.
>>
>>456644
They always were.
>>
>>456641
It's not giving you special rights if you can reset IP and evade like a normal anon. Passes shouldn't track bans, it made moot a liar and violated trust. If he lied about that, how else does he track you? Verrry shady. It basically makes having a pass be a punishment instead of a reward - second class citizens.
>>
>>456654
Ban evading is against the rules, you fucking retard. You ARENT allowed to break the rules with the pass. It's your own fault if you used your pass for shitposting.

>it made moot a liar and violated trust.
It doesn't. moot said he won't track YOU, not your bans. As in, he won't data mine you or track your fucking posts. He made it pretty fucking clear that is what it was about and everyone but you knew it was. If you want to say otherwise, go pull up the posts and post them, otherwise, you are bullshiting.

>It basically makes having a pass be a punishment instead of a reward - second class citizens.
>oh shit i broke the fucking rules and got punished for it and it follows with my pass HOW DARE YOU I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BREAK THE RULES AND KEEP MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE STATUS
It's nice to know you are just a shitposter upset that he is punished for shitposting.
>>
>>456663
There's literally nothing stopping normal anons from ban evading, only pass users. So it's a punishment.

>>456663
>It doesn't. moot said he won't track YOU, not your bans. As in, he won't data mine you or track your fucking posts.
He lied which calls into question everything else he said about passes. The whole board was probably an excuse to make passes anyway, get permission from the people who love mootkins and avoid any shitstorm cause you gave notice and asked permission.
>>
>>456667
>people do something that is literally considered a problem and if possible would be stopped
>use something that attaches itself to you
>break the rules
>you get punished for breaking the rules
What about static IP anons? They can't evade. You are literally upset that passes don't let you break the rules and get away with it. How stupid can you get?

He never lied. If you want to claim moot lied, source those posts, otherwise you are claiming shit.

>The whole board was probably an excuse to make passes anyway, get permission from the people who love mootkins and avoid any shitstorm cause you gave notice and asked permission.
>im retarded the post
>>
>>456670
>What about static IP anons?
True but they're a minority.

>If you want to claim moot lied, source those posts
I'll get back to you on that cause I did find those posts before. I am autistic about this. Fucking around with our privacy, I have a low tolerance for.
>>
Just to be clear, tracking means moot has our financial info and our IP address, along with our banned post, stored somewhere for at least 3 days. Potentially more. What else does he store about us, and for how along? I personally like Hiro but he has a shady background too. It's just a shitty way to treat people you apparently love and make moe anime faces at.
>>
>>456673
>tracking bans is breaking privacy
You are retarded.
>>
>>456678
See >>456677
>>
>>456677
>>456679
You are both stupid.
>>
File: 1439312368994.png (622 KB, 710x664) Image search: [Google]
1439312368994.png
622 KB, 710x664
>>456681
Just me anon. Run it by /g/ and see how they think (or do you think /g/ is stupid)
>>
>>456539
>Replying to off-topic garbage.
not sure if based or just a prick
>>
I don't even know how to ban evade and I still managed to do it. Why are mods a thing?
>>
>>456682
If /g/ thought it was stupid, they wouldn't of allowed it in the first place and you would have people >Pass shitposting constantly.
>>
>>456777
Most people think pass users are retards.
>>
>>456594
>offshore
>>
>>456635
This just in. Moot said "Yes" once. That means that literally any yes or no question I can come up with, he answered yes to, and there's no such thing as context!

Moot, is it legal to post anime on /co/?

"Yes."
>>
Honest question, how do bans follow you?

Sometimes I end up "banned" because my IP cycled too an IP another Ausfag was shitposting on, but then suddenly, even if I recycle my IP, I'm still banned for a post I never committed and have to wait out the ban and cycling the IP no longer works.

Do they ban based on MAC address then? Why was I banned then when my IP switched to another IP from my ISP from a post I never posted?
>>
>>456816
Cookies and cache, anon. It's a problem if you like to cycle proxys to post with. If you pick up a banned ip, you've got to clean your cache and shit.
>>
>>456667

I have a pass.

If I blatantly shitpost, I do it on my phone without my pass enabled. If I get banned while using my pass, I just log out and go pass-less on another IP until the ban is over.

Have some measure of self responsibility, mate
>>
>>456788
You missed the point. He promised not to do the exact thing he turned around and did, which is a betrayal of trust.
>>
>>457006
No he didn't, Anon. He promised not to use 4chan passes to track you. As in tracking cookies.
>>
>>457006
Proofs.
>>
>>457033
How does >>456677 not constitute tracking? At bare minimum he has your ID and bank info tied to your shitposts for the length of your ban, and he could save more post history for all we know.
>>
>>457040
I'm sorry, did you pay for a 4chan pass using a physical handwritten cheque?
>>
File: grandmofftarkin.jpg (36 KB, 450x438) Image search: [Google]
grandmofftarkin.jpg
36 KB, 450x438
>>456677
moot never had your financial information. your pass was purchased through another site.

https://www.4chan.org/pass
>Do you store payment information on your servers?
>No. All payment information is stored securely by our PCI-certified payment provider.
>>
>>456539
>I tried to ban evade
>But it didn't work

Ahahahah
Mods ban him again!
>>
File: 1449566431601.png (616 KB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
1449566431601.png
616 KB, 1280x722
>>456568
Are you even trying?
>>
File: 1454791340307.png (94 KB, 331x369) Image search: [Google]
1454791340307.png
94 KB, 331x369
>>457200
lol fucking retard op. Quit shrieking about TEH CONSPIRACYYYYYY and fuck off
>>
>Passcuck gets cucked from ban evading

lel
>>
I do recall moot saying that passes wouldn't be used to track bans, and I did notice that it did seem to stop being the case like two years ago or some shit, but I didn't care because I wasn't a pass user at the time.

Also at some point I bought a pass and then forgot to use it.
>>
>>457754
You know I was willing to go through with the joke all the way to giving out a free pass.
>>
There's no good reason why pass users should have less rights than normal anons.
>>
>>457967
Ban evading isn't a right nor are you allowed to do it. So, pass users have the same rights, they are just simply having the rule enforced onto them, just like static ip anons.
>>
>>458229
Same thing.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.