[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give mods the ability to shadow ban people, that way shitposters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Shadowban.jpg (39 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shadowban.jpg
39 KB, 1920x1080
Give mods the ability to shadow ban people, that way shitposters and cocksucking Australians can continue to shitpost, but nobody can see the shit. Eventually, they'll get bored and stop because nobody's responding them.

This is effectively how you deal with attention whoring tripfags as well. They'll stop when nobody gives them attention, but 4chan is so fucking retarded that they're incapable of doing so, so a shadow ban will be able to do the job.

It works on Reddit.
It works on Twitter
Give it a go on 4chan
But don't let anybody know that you've implemented it. Let them find out after their 90th post with no replies.
>>
It works on Reddit and Twitter because Reddit and Twitter have accounts. They'd have to implement some form of registration system. Which COULD work, because you could have them register but still keep posts anonymous, but I don't think they'd do it, out of some twisted sense of "culture."
>>
>>442823
I don't really understand why they would have to register. It's not like I'm suggesting a permanent shadow ban, it would work almost exactly like a regular ban, but you wouldn't even know you were banned unless you could get a friend to confirm it.

Culture went out the window they minute they added Black Lives Matter advertisements to /pol/.
>>
File: 1210187533373.png (522 KB, 762x910) Image search: [Google]
1210187533373.png
522 KB, 762x910
>>442820
This is a terrible idea and you're a horrible person for suggesting it in making this thread.
>>
>>442839
Says the shitposter. Upset you won't get to shitpost anymore?
>>
>>442851
So you're saying we need to be more like Reddit and Twitter basically? So you really do want 4chan to be safe space environment now?
>>
>>442851
>he thinks shadowbanning is actually getting added
HAHAHAHAHA hoyl shit you're beyond deluded
>>
Start banning people replying to obvious shitposts.
Problem solved.
>>
>>442857
>So you really do want 4chan to be safe space environment now?

Don't kid yourself that it isn't already. Look at how many people try to control the narrative and accuse anyone that disagrees with them of being from Reddi.
>>
Cool story, bro, but how would that work with post numbers?
>>
>>442820
>It works on Reddit.
>>
>>442829
I don't think even the flimsiest of cultures can be thrown out the window by $20 and a few minutes at a self-service advertising page.
>>
>>442820
The only way it'd work is if they banned the right types of posters, and given the recent track record of mods they wouldn't. Especially on boards like /a/ where a specific flavor of shitposting is not only rampant but openly encouraged.
>>
>>442820
shadow banning is literally impossible with the way 4chan works right now (everyone sees the same html page)
they'd have to rewrite a good part of it and upgrade the servers to make it possible
>>
Cool, let's test it by permarangeevercookiebanning this cancerous OP who browses reddit and twitter and wants 4chan to become even more cancerous.
>>
>>442820
>make a shitpost
>reset router like any other shitposter
>never have to worry again
>>
>>443650
Some of us are plagued with shitty dynamic IP's.
Bans are real for these people, that's why they make quality shitposts that can pass as legit.
>>
>>443653
>>443650
Wait, i think i meant static, but you get the point
>>
>>442820
It's been stated before: there is no possible way with the way that 4chan's index is setup. You'd have to redesign shit from the ground-up.
>>
>>442820
Reddit actually did away with shadowbans very recently and just outright tells you you are banned from posting. Only spambots should get shadowbanned there according to their admins. By no means did shadowbanning "work" on reddit as there were so many false positives.

And as >>442917 and >>443656 mention it's impossible to implement this with 4chan's setup. Every page you visit here is a static html page that gets updated every time someone posts. This is actually a very effective setup since static pages require very little cpu power to deliver, only a fast enough hdd/ssd, this is how 4chan/2chan/2ch/etc managed to be so cheap to host relatively speaking. Whereas dynamic pages (required for shadowbanning) require a lot more cpu power which makes hosting costs go up by 2 times at the very least.

So just so you can maybe get rid of some shitposters you end up making 4chan a larger monetary burden for hiroyuki. And that's assuming the hardworking developer(s) actually take time to rewrite 4chan to be able to shadowban.
>>
Shadowbans are for mods who are too big of a pussy to actually ban someone. And as it has been mentioned time and time again it wouldn't be very hard to tell if you're shadow banned thanks to post numbers and archival sites.
>>
>>442829
>Culture went out the window they minute they added Black Lives Matter advertisements to /pol/.

That was me
>>
File: upper decked.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
upper decked.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
give mods the ability to receive an upperdecker from me, man
>>
>>443687
>Reddit actually did away with shadowbans
Yeah, that's what they want you to believe.
>>
Shadowbans would only work on boards that didn't have archives, and boards that don't have archives typically don't have problems big enough to warrant it.

>Post
>Check archived thread
>Post isn't there
>Reboot router
Great all these resources spent on making shitheads click one more button before they evade.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.