[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find greentexting outside of 4chan to be acceptable? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 434532.gif (128 KB, 618x619) Image search: [Google]
434532.gif
128 KB, 618x619
Do you find greentexting outside of 4chan to be acceptable? I mean obviously pic related is fucking retarded, but if they're using it to detail a story or an event or to imply something or whatever would you find it irksome?
>>
No, anyone who greentext outside chans is obviously a newfriend who thinks browsing chans and understanding le epic underground memes makes you cool
>>
File: 1435499974239.png (84 KB, 466x492) Image search: [Google]
1435499974239.png
84 KB, 466x492
>>429914
It's definitely easier for quotes but I usually try to avoid doing that since it looks really out of place.
>>
>>429914
Did you just post this thread to share your epic video game review with us?
>>
>>429914
I do but never in long strings (I do like using > as a bullet point though). It's mostly just in things like game chats every once in a while to see if I can b8 out any other channers in the game. Who knows, what might could be friends over our shared culture? Hasn't happened yet of course but I'm holding out.
>>
Serious question, what's the "official" counterpart to using

>[some retarded argument]
>implying

?

I can't think of any. Surely someone must have thought of that before the chans?
>>
ʷʰʸ ᵗʰᵉ fᵘͨᵏ ʸºᵘ ˡʸʸʸ'n, ʷʰʸ ʸºᵘ ᵃˡʷᵃʸˢ ˡʸʸʸ'n, ᵐᵐᵐᵐᵐᵐ ºʰ ᵐʸ ᵍºᵈ ˢᵗºp fᵘͨᵏ'n ˡʸʸʸ'n
>>
>>429914
>Do you find greentexting outside of 4chan to be acceptable?
It's a quote function, you fucking mong. It predates all the way back to usenet days. It only matters when people are abusing it and making themselves look like tards in the OP. There is nothing wrong with using it for quoting or light abuse, because it wasn't made on fucking 4chan. Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1420668302854.jpg (22 KB, 240x306) Image search: [Google]
1420668302854.jpg
22 KB, 240x306
>those people who use greentext arrows in the YouTube comment section
>>
>>429914
It depends.
It's fine when used properly, as a means to indicate quotation, and I can even stretch it to being alright in some other appropriate mediums. In a 4chan-related IRC, for example, where everyone understands the usage and it doesn't leave lasting records.
Anywhere public isn't good, and you sure as fuck shouldn't write greentext stories outside of here.
>>
The > symbol used to be used to quote people in emails and stuff. It's fine for the purpose of quoting but 4chan-style greentexting outside of 4chan is just dumb and brings me one step closer to snapping.
>>
>>429914

What I don't find acceptable is retards thinking IRC arrows are green text arrows.
>>
>>429914
Only use it for quotes. Telling stories or anything related is a big no-no.
>>
>

Has been used for years on the internet. It is not a 4chan exclusive thing.
>>
>>430401
But how can it be greentexting if the text is not green?
>>
> ITT; newfag millennials.

I was using > as quotes in email back before before yahoo ate rocketmail, and well before 4chan existed. Things existed before you did you self absorbed faggots.
>>
>>430494
>Things existed before you did
>Implying I didn't create the universe by observing it
>>
>>430374
There's a difference between using ">" to quote and "greentexting," which is the 4chan method of using ">." You ever heard of a "greentext story" before you dense fucking mongoloid?
>>
>>430574
Who are you greening?
>>
Yes, but only if it's used well.
>implying it's ever used well
>>
>>429914

It depends on where.
I see lots of greentext in comments sections of 4chan youtube videos for obvious reasons.
>>
>>429914
It's fucking retarded when you are commenting on stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with 4chan, and honestly I can't even use it just for quoting with a straight face because I realize the vast majority of people nowadays link ">" to 4chan so I try to use other means of quoting, it's not like there aren't any.

Maybe it's just that usenet was never really popular in my country so I knew ">" from here and nowhere else but I doubt it, I think most people think of you as a retard trying to emulate 4chan when you use ">" outside here.
>>
>>431699

Say, you are told some name. You find it funny because it reminds you of something, you write something like

>that name though

How would you write it without using the greentext?
>>
>>429914
No. (Using > in quotes is a different thing and acceptable in newsgroups, emails, old-style forums, Usenet, etc. because that's older than 4chan.)

>>429980
"That would be implying..."
also
>implying X
could be replaced with
"As if X was/were/[insert any other suitable verb or phrase here]..."

>>431777
"That's a funny name. It reminds me of..."
>>
>>431777
>>431792
You could also just type "That name though." and it would be perfectly acceptable.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.