[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please Save Retro Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: $_57 (1).jpg (128 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
$_57 (1).jpg
128 KB, 1440x900
Right now, on /vr/:

shitposting, meta & rule-breaking:
>>>/vr/2941771
>>>/vr/2938938
>>>/vr/2931291
>>>/vr/2940218
>>>/vr/2941091

eceleb advertising & autism (as well as shitposting, meta & rulebreaking):
>>>/vr/2932297
>>>/vr/2928792

Please someone save /vr/ we need more consistent moderation, or at least some form of communication about the board's fate.

This is a real bad case of SNAFU at this point.

This board used to be great, I won't say a specific boogeyman is at fault here but we need a moderating super hero who is willing to crack down on posters who are ignoring the rules (that are literally outlined in the sticky but are still challenged and ignored constantly).

The community is in shambles and our "higher-quality" posters have clearly been thinning out as offtopic discussion, /r9k/-tier "memes" and /v/-tier shitposting have become rampant on the board.
>>
maybe the meta shitflinging will die if we get a concrete answer on if/when newer stuff will become /vr/.
>>
>>421272
I think we should adopt a slow "phase in" program.

Lets be honest, if we allowed GBA it wouldn't be an overwhelming shift to the board's culture. Wait out another year or so and let one or two consoles join the board, etc.

If we do it slowly and keep them to generals the board might benefit from the improved traffic without flushing the content currently on the board down the drain.
>>
>>>/vr/2939521
really great thread I definitely don't wish the mods would kill themselves and I don't wish harm upon their family at all
>>
>>421266
>>421266
You forgot the following:
>>>/vr/2912965
>>>/vr/2931569

>>421272
>>421276
I posted a potential solution to the "What is retro?" problem that would also solve the problem of there not being a good place to discuss 6th gen games in the other save /vr/ thread:
>>418129
>>
>>421319
I pretty much agree with you. Lots of people for some reason have the idea that more boards is inherently bad, but I don't see the logic. /vr/ exists because video game discussion is fucking impossible on a board as huge as /v/, and 6th and 7th gen game discussion is not safe either. It also satisfies grandpas who just want to be left alone to talk about NES game.

Mods need to answer though, otherwise we'll keep just getting garbage meta threads.
>>
Automatically ban any IPs that post on both boards.

/vr/ is instantly and permanently saved.
>>
Current gen is a joke. The mayor release at the moment is a remaster of a GC game. Kids have nothing worth to play, so they are going back to replay their childhood games (PS2, GC, Xbox).

I think this is in part the issue of why are people being so vocal about allowing 6th gen discussion on /vr/. Give it sometime, until the next big thing releases, and /vr/ will be chill again.
>>
I cant believe the state of our board - I cant help but feel there is some sort of coordination going on in the spamming (8 anons posted in a ~10 post thread of pure "REEEEE" posting) too.

I think theres a clear agenda in the shit posting that /vr/ should be opened up to discuss non-/vr/ topics.

We need moderation so badly. The constant recommendation threads are irritating enough, nevermind the genuine fucking flood of shitposting, spam, rule-breaking and meta threads the past few weeks...
>>
Video games are for children. You can't re-live your youth and pretending to like shitpile """Crono Trigger""" so you feel like you're 12 again is embarrassing to the entirety of humanity
>>
>>421428
We have mods, they delete legitimate video game threads instead of the shitposting.

http://desustorage.org/vr/thread/2939196/#2939196
>>
File: eth5y5.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eth5y5.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1080
>>421948
>They delete an on topic thread
>>>/vr/2929565
>They leave a thread that violates the board rules that is currently stated in the sticky for five days now
The mods for /vr/ are terrible. They end up deleting more threads that have to do with the board and either don't delete rule breaking threads or delay deleting them over many days at a time.

When on topic content is continually getting deleted it gets to the point that it would be better to have no moderation.

OP you are being uptight with some of that stuff as well, like the Resident Evil thread. Sure it will have discussion about the modern games, but it relates to how the series started which is considered "retro" on the board and have a compare and contrast with the entries of the series from before the movies hit and after seeing what made the retro games the way they were and what could have changed in the modern games.

And that Mario thread, we had one before that one for five days until a moderator deleted it. I don't see what is bad about it, it does relate to the board if you are interested in the thread no matter the meme spouting.

People like you make me afraid that moderators would listen to you. If someone genuinely has a controversial opinion on a game it would be shit posting to you guys rather than someone that actually doesn't enjoy a popular game thus targeting their thread for deletion for apparent "shitposting".
>>
>>>/vr/2943058
Yet another metathread about how 6th gen apparently should be allowed on /vr/

Mods all it would take to stop this shit from happening every goddamn day would be a clear public stand on the matter, either say that /vr/ is for stuff made in 1999 or earlier or that stuff made in 2001 is now concidered "retro". Is that too much to ask for?
>>
>>421266
The entire purpose of /vr/ is providing a place for people to talk about older games, since /v/ proper is inherently going to mostly be discussing current or recent games and gaming news. It's just that some people are acting like /vr/ is "muh safe space" instead of just realizing the entire point is just separating less-popular discussion (ie, of older games) from /v/ where modern games and news would choke-out older game discussion

Discussions about things like xbox or GBA get fucked over on /v/ just as much as trying to discuss dreamcast or n64 on /v/ would be. The way the rules are currently set up, "retro" games have a place for discussion but 6th gen stuff is caught in the middle, not being allowed on /vr/ but also being basically impossible to discuss on /v/ all the same.

I see no reason they shouldn't be allowed. And personally, I think dividing it by console is arbitrary. It should just go by a rolling admission based solely on release date, regardless of platform it was released for. For instance, a fixed 15 years before current date cutoff. Any GAME released before January 25th, 2001 is a-okay. I don't care whether its the dreamcast N64 or PS2 version
>>
>>>/vr/2929565
This thread still exists.
>>
File: jjj04m34.png (533 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
jjj04m34.png
533 KB, 720x540
>>422502
>a clear public stand on the matter
you mean like: https://boards.4chan.org/vr/thread/1392415/ ?
>>
>>422604
The reason I keep suggesting >>418129 Is because it would fix both problems, there would be a place talk about 6th gen games which is something the site NEEDS but also leave /vr/ to talk about older retro games. If we'd simply allow 6th gen on /vr/ it would likely take away the latter which would be retarded as it's the whole point of the board to exist in the first place.
>>
>>422643
Yes but presented in a way every-fucking-one realizes that stuff made after 1999 doesn't magically become retro because it is 15 years old now which is always the justification people use when they make thread on /vr/ how something should be now allowed there.

People NEVER read the sticky or the rules which both clearly state 1999 as a cut-off point and always use this exact same jutification for their bullshit every fucking day.
>>
>>422665
>People NEVER read the sticky or the rules
so how else can the mods present a clear public stand on the matter?
>>
>>422114
Controversial opinions are fine but the "nothing personnel but metal gear solid is overrated" general that has been consistently going for I don't even know how long any more is getting pretty toxic and is having a negative effect on the board, definitely encouraging some of the shitflinging.

I also am not a fan of discussing youtubers on the board, even if the youtubers do some /vr/-related stuff. It's basically just advertising which is against the rules.

Also that resi thread's OP seemed innocent enough, but there was immediate and overwhelming shitposting that followed it, go and actually look at the thread that I linked. It's all caps lock, "REEEE" posters with meme images. Unless you consider posts like this one >>>/vr/2941232 to be "controversial opinions" that apparently need to be defended.

I just want to discuss older games on the board and not be wading knee deep in /r9k/ and /v/ tier shitposting and "epic memes".
>>
>>421266
The mods have either left their positions entirely, or are deliberately doing nothing in order to make the board go down in flames. For all we know, this shitposting might come from the mods themselves or their friends.

Problems like this also exist on other boards.

And there's nothing you can do about it. /qa/ is not read by anyone, or even if someone is reading it they don't take anything posted here into account. Meanwhile Hiroyuki is just making announcements about Sundance, seemingly completely oblivious to what's going on.

I recommend leaving /vr/ and going to a forum or subreddit instead.
>>
>>423721
>I recommend leaving /vr/ and going to a forum or subreddit instead

Have things really gotten so bad that reddit is our last hope?

But where can we talk about games and also enjoy the friendly banter over if it's harder to hang a nigger, a jew or a faggot?
>>
>>423721
Personally I'm looking into IRC and reddit. I don't like the layout reddit offers but it seems to be free of "shitposting" and "memes" at least if you enter the smaller communities there.
www.reddit.com/r/RetroGaming

Reddit really might not be so bad, theres even reddits for a specific console of choice:
www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/
www.reddit.com/r/NES

There's some pretty great other reddits too:
www.reddit.com/r/Nostalgia
www.reddit.com/r/retroanime/

And if you subscribe to each of them they all kind of filter in together to your main page creating an environment that feels a lot like /vr/ did before its great decline. Hell, they even redirect sixth gen consoles to their own reddits and out of the RetroGaming reddit like /vr/ should be doing.
>>
>ps2 is 15 years old
>graphics are obviously dated
>not retro

it doesnt make sense. will it be retro when its 20 years old?
>>
>>423982
>the friendly banter over if it's harder to hang a nigger, a jew or a faggot

You can't do that on 4chan either.
>>
In all seriousness, does vr really need to be a board? What's to stop it from being a general thread in vg or just topics on v?
>>
>>>/vr/2946164

I bet this e-celeb thread will be up for weeks even if it doesn't even attempt to talk about retro games instead of bullshit drama about e-celebrities.
>>
Bumping this because /vr/ fucking needs attention from Hiro/mods/janitors.
>>
>>424399
You failed that bet pretty quickly.
>>
>>424294
I'm exaggerating to make a point. I'm not /pol/ but I hate the thought police of reddit.

>>424261
I'll look into it, honestly /vr/ is tanking in quality fast. It may not even be worth saving at this point.
>>
If we don't make a separate board for 2000+ games, we'll soon have people ask for 7th generation be allowed.

The concept of "retro" is too nebulous, I mean go to /v/ and try to talk about games even 5 years old. Early Xbox One games might as well be retro.

The only solution is a new board or this debate will never end.

If we allow Xbox original, why not the DS? It "feels" more retro than the XBAWCKS.
>>
>>424557
This is the exact reason I keep suggesting >>418129
>>
>>421266
>these people are having fun
>make them stop
>;_;
>>
>>421266
There's really nothing wrong with
>>>/vr/2938938 although I can see why you might hate that OP image.

The rest of your threads are awful though I agree.
>>
>>421319
/vmc/ is probably the worst name for a board ever because people call brand fucking new games a "Modern Classic" when they think they're gonna stand the test of time.
>>
>>424902
/vr/ pre-2000 retro games
/v2k/ post-2000 retro games
/v/ modern games, speculation and shitposting
>>
>>425148
MUCH better. Thank you. I couldn't think of a better one.
>>
>>424869
The only problem is that it isn't relevant to the board. 6 and 7th gen is the redheaded stepchild stuck between /vr/ and /v/...

Imagine if there a small but passionate group of people that wanted to post about farming... they can go /ck/ and /out/ but neither would be fully appropriate...

So the logical thing is to make a new board.
>>
>>421266

6TH GEN SHOULD GET IT'S OWN BOARD!

Maybe 7th gen could be added as well.
>>
>>424261

I used to be one of the people who hated Reddit with the passion (and I still think the website design and layout is god awful) but for the first time I'm considering going there because the past year of 4chan and past few months of /vr/ (which was the one remaining board I liked to browse) has been bad. I don't know where else to go.
>>
>>425148
>/v2k/ post-2000 retro games
How do you determine what's retro and what's not?

>>425269
And just keep adding more and more boards as time goes on? For what purpose?
>>
All I want is a board for discussing 6th gen gaming. 6th gen games are in a tough spot because /vr/ specifically disallows them, and /v/ doesn't give a shit about them.
>>
>>425444
>How do you determine what's retro and what's not?
What do you mean? It could obviously discuss games not of the current gen that came out during or after 2000
>>
>>425717
This.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.