[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come if you make fun of atheism on 4chan nobody cares, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16
File: 1423201866778.jpg (54 KB, 357x261) Image search: [Google]
1423201866778.jpg
54 KB, 357x261
How come if you make fun of atheism on 4chan nobody cares, but if you make a jab at religion then people instantly get upset and spam that fedora meme?
>>
Conservatives using memes to take over 4chan.
>>
File: 1438449656663.jpg (59 KB, 632x480) Image search: [Google]
1438449656663.jpg
59 KB, 632x480
>>393340
>>
Because atheists are less easily offended.

You know, unless they're from Cuba or Turkey or somewhere like that.
>>
Because contrarianism is the flavor of the day. You're an atheist? PSH, NICE FEDORA!

You here 10 years ago? ZOMG, YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?! TELL ME ABOUT THOR!
>>
Atheism is mainstream.
Being religious is counterculture.

Guess which one 4chan prefers?
>>
>>393340
because it's childish and to easy to make fun of religion. religon is not provable by facts thats why its called "believing in god" and imo that's what makes it so beautiful.
>>
>>393398
It's also childish to believe in magic sky fairies ;^)
>>
>>393402
Good thing God is not a magic sky fairy and there is ample evidence of His existence. But I suppose you wouldn't know anything about logic, being an atheist.
>>
>>393340
/pol/acks are all christfags.
>>
>>393406
*tips crucifix*
>>
>>393406
>ample evidence
>His existence
>>
>>393340
That's a lot of butthurt about a hat from someone who apparently doesn't care.
>>
File: sdgaba.png (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sdgaba.png
26 KB, 640x480
>>393340
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 522x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 522x579
>This entire thread
>>
>>393340
It's just tumblrtards spouting le neckbeard hat memes because people making fun of their imaginary friends triggers them, nobody actually cares.
>>
>>393604
Go back to r/atheism
>>
File: 1357503755042.jpg (47 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1357503755042.jpg
47 KB, 720x720
>>393609
Yeah, just like that. Thanks for the example.
>>
>>393340
How come if you make fun of Chrisitanity in real life nobody cares, but if you make a jab at other religion then people instantly get upset and call you a racist?
>>
>>393612

>>393613
Because CNN told them to do so.
>>
>>393340
4chan is full of christcucks, they need to perma banned tbhwyfsmh(to be honest with you senpai shaking my head)
>>
I still get called a faggot in a not good way and told off for having a rosary on my desk when I took a picture of my desk with a few models on it for /tg/. I think it's just that people like to jab at each other on here. Whether it's believing or not believing. It's not that the focus shifted, it expanded.
>>
File: Stats.png (29 KB, 474x700) Image search: [Google]
Stats.png
29 KB, 474x700
>>393395
>atheism is mainstream

Only on reddit. The fedora maymay is literally popularized by reddit contrarians aka r/cringe.
>>
>>393647
Go back to your safe space fedoracuck
>>
>>393340
IIRC it was the other way round 7+ years ago

idk about the rest, but after hearing lots of "atheist preach so much that it's just another religion" you realise it's right, and you stop giving a fuck
>>
>>393688
I like how that graph has "Black Church" as a sect of Christianity.
>>
>>393609
God isn't real, anon.
>>
Because this is a Christian imageboard, my plebbit friend.
>>
>>393737
You don't know about Black Jesus?
>>
Because Atheists are often bitter, sad people convinced of intelligence by denying a belief
>>
>>393340
because most shittalking atheists are reddit-tier DAE le science hipster tryhards that deserve to be mocked for being retards
>>
Something about grey always leading to black. The anti-religion sentiments disappeared, and users became more tolerant, so it gave the religious people more confidence.

I agree the ">believing in a magical sky fairy" and the ">worshiping a dead kike on a stick" stuff is dumb, but anyone posting fedoras, unironically, is even worse.
>>
You're always going to notice it more when insults are levied at you than when they're levied at somebody else.
>>
File: it's a trilby you retard.jpg (47 KB, 325x275) Image search: [Google]
it's a trilby you retard.jpg
47 KB, 325x275
>>393340
most christians and other religions keep their shit to themselves online because they might get mocked.

Most Atheists on the internet can't keep their shit inside and mock everyone the moment they hear anything that implies a belief in a higher powere beyond our understanding.

on a tangentially related note mostly as a fun fact most images of a fedora you see posted are actually Trilby's a fedora is characterised by a wider rim that goes across the entire radius of the hat
>>
>>393340
Christfags get triggered easily.
>>
God didn't invite me to his birthday party yesterday. I can't believe him.. Shake my hat
>>
>>393357
>muh libercuck conspiracy
>muh rightwing boogeyman
>>
>>393340
I think most people who don't believe in religions have maybe called themselves atheists at one point during a phase, but eventually moved away from the term.

I used to defend it thinking atheism was just a "lack of belief", but it became more and more obvious that the other people calling themselves atheists were really attached to that term for some reason, and really did like arguing the case of no god rather than arguing the case of not knowing.

It's just a useless term now. Not everyone who thinks atheism is dumb is a theist.
>>
File: Hugh Laurie.png (15 KB, 496x181) Image search: [Google]
Hugh Laurie.png
15 KB, 496x181
>>394196
I think the people who don't believe in God should be assertive about it. It's a shame that they don't want to admit that they're atheist, simply because of shaming tactics. There are a lot more atheists where I live, often well-respected people, so we don't really have this problem.
>>
>>393340
/pol/ using memes as a method of social engineering. A large part of 4chan's userbase (/r9k/ spillouts and literal underages) is so desperate for validation by anonymous people on the internet they will base their entire lifestyles and beliefs on memes in order to "fit in". Fedora memes to discourage and mock atheism and promote hardline christianity, cuck memes against race mixing and for muh traditional 50's family etc.
>>
>>394269
They should spend more time attacking the concept of belief to knock it down a few pegs, rather than specifically about gods.

Belief is a tool whereby you reduce a system of possibilities to only those you think are more likely. But one should never forget that belief necessitates lack of knowledge and that everything you believe really can be wrong no matter how hard you believe.

Beyond that, I don't care to argue with theists about anything. Just belief itself, not gods.
>>
File: 45.png (953 KB, 927x884) Image search: [Google]
45.png
953 KB, 927x884
Unironically being religious on "old" 4chan would've gotten you mercilessly mocked.

4chan nowadays really is the antithesis of what it used to be.
>>
>>394302
You upset tumblr?

>>394338
Old 4chan was filled with edgy underaged retards so who cares
>>
>>394343
>edgy
This is the word that made 4chan turn into such a boring cesspit.
>>
>>394343
>le tumblr burgerman
>if you disagree with me you're edgy
Thanks for illustrating my point class.
>>
>>394302
Feminists are doing the same thing by calling everyone who disagrees with them le MRA, le bitter virgin, or le misogynist boogeyman. I don't think they are actively trying to convert others. They just get on the defensive.
>>
>>393340
Dunno. I'm a pagan, so I'm obviously a 40-year-old spinster with like, fifty cats, but at least I'm not an atheist or a christian.
>>
>>393340
Because making fun of religion was played out and gay 8 years ago. I bet you still say LE FAUX NEWS XDXD too.
>>
>>394361
>use the /pol/ boogeyman
>get called tumblr in return
>WOW NICE BOOGEYMAN BRO
You really just exposed yourself there didn't you.
>>
>>393340
The funny thing though is that lot of anti-leftist and anti-SJW people /pol/ likes such as Dawkins and Condell are atheists
>>
>>394269
You're may be secure in the knowledge that you are a miserable bag of chemical reactions running around in an amoral universe, but why ruin it for everyone else?
>>
>>394269
This post is a parody, right?
>>
>>394269
>>394302
Cancer
>>
File: lib.jpg (84 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
lib.jpg
84 KB, 600x899
>>393340
We don't want retarded r/atheism shit here
>>
File: 1444937887271.png (183 KB, 386x406) Image search: [Google]
1444937887271.png
183 KB, 386x406
>>394433
I thought the stereotypical internet pagan was a fat neonazi virgin who masturbates to vikings and listens to metal despite no longer being a teen?
>>
No but seriously, when the fedora meme started I couldn't believe my eyes.
Here on 4chan we all swear, post, watch, read, enjoy the most fucked up shit, we call each other fags, cunts, niggers, etc at the drop of a hat.

And yet many of you actually believe in God and go to church and shit like that? Like, what the fuck? How does that work?
>>
>>395324
Most people probably went through the edgy anti-theist phase when they were teens and feel embarrassed about that so they feel the need to shit on other people who act the way they used to act.

The number of actual religious people, not counting those "culturally Christian" poser faggots, is probably just as low as it always was.
>>
>>395324
They're a vocal minority who get triggered easily.

It wouldn't surprise me that most of them are just kids who think it's a le funny maymay.
>>
>>395324
People on 4chan are primarily Protestant
>>
>>395383
complete bullshit

>>395324
>>393340
You are missing the point. The problem is with idiots feeling superior because of how enlightened they are.

Like people saying "humans are just animals compelled to breed"; it's not that it isn't true, it's just that the need to reduce it to those terms usually indicate your own inability to score.

what people make fun of is the "I'm too intelligent to believe in God" crew

t. atheist that realises that it was because of my own shortcomings in life that I laughed at well-balanced people who were idiot enough to believe in god.
>>
>>395391
According to your meme philosophy, Christans should be considered losers too, because they feel superior to people who have a different religion or different beliefs than them.
>>
>>395403
but yes, I do think Christans are idiots, specially those who feel superior for having been born into what they were raised to believe is the "one true religion" among thousands of religions, without having the slightest self-awareness about it.

I never fedora the atheists, but laughing at religious fucks is not fun any more for me either. But I might start doing it again, why not,, 4chan could do without the godfags
>>
File: 1449301195755.png (325 KB, 508x508) Image search: [Google]
1449301195755.png
325 KB, 508x508
>>393340
reddit embraced atheism and made atheism "cool" so now 4chan is full of Christians who'll tip a fedora at you for having received an education instead of creationist propaganda.
It really just boils down to people on 4chan wanting to be different because they haven't grown past the point in their life where they're desperate to be a special snowflake. Kind of like tumblr.
>>
>>395445
>reddit embraced atheism and made atheism "cool"
What's it like living in a bubble?
The only people who think atheists are cool are other self-proclaimed atheists.

Half the people laughing at you are other non-theists that aren't overly attached to labels.
>>
>>395449
I put "cool" in quotations for a reason, numbnuts.
>>
I'm an Atheist, and I posted the fedora memes. I can make fun of myself. Why can't you?
>>
>>395324
>Here on 4chan we all swear, post, watch, read, enjoy the most fucked up shit, we call each other fags, cunts, niggers, etc at the drop of a hat.
>How does that work?

It's called being a sinner.
>>
>>393340
I'll give you another answer.

You know when comedians make some stupid joke, and someone gets offended and try to ban the joke? And how the comedian's defence is "humor is by nature politically incorrect" or "learn to laugh with it"?

well, basically this is another instance of "It's a meme, you dip"
>>
>>395445
Reddit exposed Atheists for being retards who think they're better and smarter than you. The infamous AALewis post on Reddit really cemented atheists as a laughing stock. Atheism used to never be like that. Sure they bashed religion, but they were smart and clever about it. Its the kids nowadays who try and think because they're atheists they're smarter than you. Its those faggots that give atheists really bad names
>>
File: 1449891677451.jpg (60 KB, 512x527) Image search: [Google]
1449891677451.jpg
60 KB, 512x527
>>395556
The whole "faces of atheism" thing, right? I'm pretty sure that was the tipping point and when atheism ridicule became a part of the internet mainstream. I didn't go to Reddit when that happened and I still heard about it because all my normalfag friends where in tears over it and wouldn't stop talking about how hilarious it is.

I wonder how many people who constantly redirect posts written by atheists to Reddit and post fedoras on this site are aware they're literally bandwagoning an originally Reddit meme.
>>
>>393340
It was all me!
>>
>>395391
>complete bullshit
Nah, 4chan is mainly American, British, and Finnish. All primarily Protestant countries.
>>
File: laughing pope.jpg (242 KB, 700x504) Image search: [Google]
laughing pope.jpg
242 KB, 700x504
>>395580
>implying a big part of 4chan isn't made up by latinos and predominantly catholic european countries
>>
>>395580
There's more people from historically Protestant countries than people from historically Catholic countries, but let's be honest. Protestantism is dead. It might still exists in USA with those wacky Baptists and stuff, but pretty much every other "Protestant" country in the world is mostly irreligious these days. The average Swede, Dutchman, or Englishman is much less likely to be religious than the average Spaniard, Pole, or Italian.

And even in America, Protestants only outnumber Catholics like 2:1.
>>
>>395594
People are still religious. Just because they don't wear a crucifix and wave a bible around like you parade your tripcode, does not mean they don't have faith.
>>
>people still unironically believe in a magic sky wizard
>>
Your original argument was that 4chan is protestant, when in actuality all protestant countries for the most part have degenerated into atheism. Hence there are probably more catholics than protestants here.
>>
>>395600
>>395610
>>
>>395610
Proof
>>
>>393340

Because /pol/

>>393371
>Because atheists are less easily offended.

And this. It's more curious than offensive when people actually try to insult atheism as if it were a centralized belief system.

>>393395
>Atheism is mainstream.

No it's not. The most generous estimate of atheists in the U.S. (including agnostics and people who aren't religious but don't actually label themselves) is something like 10% of the population. Obviously the number is higher in countries like China where there might not have been any prevailing historical religious beliefs to begin with, but religion is generally very widely distributed throughout the world, and culturally enforced.
>>
>>393340
It's the new "U mad bro?" There is no counter for it that works so people spam it constantly.
>>
>>395843
Well, I like to counter it by calling them fedora neckbeards. Hell, sometimes I try and beat them to the punch. If you say something like "Anyone who isn't an atheist is just a tryhard fedora wearing neckbeard" they will be completely dumbfounded.
>>
>>395833
Actually, China has held Confucianism, Buddhism, and Islam as beliefs, The reason they have about 1/2 non-religious rate now could be attributed to Communism's, and how views religion as tools meant to control, and should be broken away from.
>>
>>393340
Because atheists are generally unlikable people who want to be praised for believing in nothing.
>>
>le people who post fedora memes are buttblasted christfags who can't compete with muh superior reason and intellect XDXD

The fedora meme is used for mocking AtheISTS, not AtheISM, there is a fucking difference and if you don't realize this YOU are the one being mocked.
>>
>>396052
Butthurt christfag detected.
>>
>>394269
>It's a shame that they don't want to admit that they're atheist
I don't think so. In my case I'm Agnostic Skeptic. I definitely don't believe in the christian god as described in the bible but I don't discount the fact that there could be some sort of higher powers or afterlife or whatnot we aren't aware of. At least I'm not aware right now. Someone could be hell if I know. I'll get the answer to the afterlife thing eventually at least.
>>
>>396093
Not him, but this is exactly why I don't call my self an atheist.

Most of the self-proclaimed atheists I've ever talked to would have said the exact same things you did. They just took that as the definition of atheism, and that's why I used to call myself one.

But you don't call yourself one and you have an entirely different term for the exact same thing (e.g. "Agnostic Skeptic")

I have no idea what the right terms are or what the right definitions are, the only point I'm making is it seems like a huge mess. Everyone thinks "atheism" means something different, and half the people with the exact same thoughts on the issue are calling themselves like 10 different things.

I just avoid labels altogether because you really have no fucking idea what anyone is going to think. It's best to just explain it like you did in your post, but dropping the label.
>>
>>396557
Forgot to mention that way back when I used to actually try to connect with other non-religious people it took me a few months but I eventually realized that 90% of the battles with theists were over definitions of what "atheism" or "agnosticism" meant to begin with.

It gets kind of dumb and bogged down in terminology.
Atheism isn't a religion, no atheist should give a shit about dropping the label "atheist" if it isn't working for them. Right?
(yet oddly enough it seems a lot of them do actually care a lot and would never let go of that label. Funny.)
>>
>>396564
this so much.

If you believe that there are no gods, you are an atheist.
If you have a bit of religiosity and you sincerely consider the possibility of there being gods, you are a skeptic.

Then there's this case that I cannot explain in a simple phrase, so have an example of how it goes down:
>I'm an atheist because there is no proof of god, because [scientific principles]
>But atheism is just another religion!
>what? no, it's not
>Yes it is! If you are based on scientific principles, how are you so certain that there ISN'T a God? Checkmate atheists.
>[mental gymnastics] Ok, yes, by principle I cannot reject the idea of God without proof, so I now call myself an SKEPTIC now.

If you are an atheist that calls himself an skeptic only to avoid retaliation by the "atheism is a religion" crowd, you are just bullshiting yourself. You know very well there is no God, and even if you cannot prove it, that doesn't make you any less certain.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.