[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reform capatcha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: fucking bullshit.png (72 KB, 504x396) Image search: [Google]
fucking bullshit.png
72 KB, 504x396
Can someone please give me a rational reason for requiring captcha to be filled out with every single post?

Other sites use systems where you fill it out once every so often (every hour to a day) or where you fill it out every so many posts. And it works perfectly fine for them. I cannot see any reason (other than coercing users to buy a pass).

The only arguments I can think of are
>But spam
Which on any decent board is nearly nonexistant and will almost definitely continue to be so even with a system where you only have to fill one out every so often, or so many posts. Looking at other popular chan alternatives even without captcha few of them have any real amount of spam. You can even look at some boards which didn't get captcha for years on this site and didn't suffer almost any real automated or commercial spam Furthermore the only reason that capatcha was implemented in the first place was as a temporary solution to a malware attack on a 4chan with crappier servers and DDOS protection, that the users themselves brought on by being utter fucktards. Commercial spam was never really that much of an issue and it is unlikely another simple automated attack could do real damage.

>But we tried removing it on /pol/ and it was chaos
Only because moot did that to fuck with the /pol/ocks, putting embeds, filters and no post timers. Furthermore while it was chaos there was not a true increase of automated spam as far as I could tell.

>Why do we even need less capatcha anyways
Well for one thing it's annoying for many boards such as image dump boards, and in general it makes it much harder to post on the site for those with vision problems (such as myself). Furthermore having people fill out capatcha every post makes people waste their valuable time and by constantly sending requests from your IP to google, it raises some privacy concerns, as well as making it much more likely unsolvable capatchas will appear.

So please Hiro, consider reforming the capatcha system
>>
File: ss+(2015-05-22+at+04.31.10).png (239 KB, 1936x1056) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-05-22+at+04.31.10).png
239 KB, 1936x1056
No, you're retarded, pedotalk spam was the fucking worst.

And yes, spammers still exist, and still spam here.

>in general it makes it much harder to post on the site for those with vision problems (such as myself)

Audio captcha is a thing, you fucking tard.
>>
>>382151
One single anon managed to squeeze out 72 identical OP's on /o/ the other day. God knows how many that would have been, and how long it would have lasted, if captchas weren't a thing.

And sure, we're not getting our shit pushed in with spam now, but if we drop the captchas it will be mere weeks till the spambots and other fuckery return, basically as long as it takes for word to spread among the skiddies and bogeymen from [insert most hated site here] that the pants are down, and the anus is gaping.

I for one stand with my captcha overlord.
>>
>>382162
>Pedotalk spam was the worst
As I said, the only notable spam was Kimmo's doing, and the fact that that crap stayed up in the first place was due to incompetence. These days protections are much better.

>Spamer's still exist
Very rarely someone will spam by hand (as in your example) and if they are willing to do that, then reducing the capatcha will not have noticeable effect on it.

Furthermore if your only objection is people making many threads, then you can leave capatcha for making a new thread intact, while still removing the limits on replies.

>Audio capatcha is a thing
Oh great, I love taking thirty seconds to listen to this garbled crap before I can make a fucking post every single time I want to make one.

>>382168
>If capatcha's weren't a thing
He would have spammed just as much, regardless asI have said if it is a concern we can keep capatcha for certain activities (like making a thread) because that should not be a common activity.

> if we drop the captchas It will be mere weeks till the spambots and other fuckery returns
There are many decently large chan sites with no or little capatcha protection that do not seem to have any of this sort of trouble. But again as I said, I only preposed to reform capatcha to be less onerous a burden, not remove it entirely.
>>
File: 1324154845518.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1324154845518.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
I love it when people who weren't here for the spam want captcha removed/loosened up.

>Commercial spam was never really that much of an issue

Just because something wasn't mentioned on an ED article doesn't make it non-existent.
>>
>>382186
I meant when this site was actually active and decently established/moderated, not when there were 300 users on the entire site at peak hour and someone spamming m-less or other jb links and having it stay up for hours was common.
>>
>>382151
>Which on any decent board is nearly nonexistant
4chan is quite big enough for people to spam it to shit just because they can whatever it's a board they visit or not which is exactly what happened to /pol/. It happened before when it was much smaller. It happened a few times after captcha. It'll happen again if they remove captcha.
>>
>>382194
>/pol/
>Decent board
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that conclusion.
>>
On ReCaptcha being shit:

Anon:
>>380707
>Hiro, I've slow internet and often the Google captcha doesn't work, do you think is possible to host the captcha script on 4chan, or use a different captcha service? sometimes it takes me 15 minutes to write a post because it gives errors and other problems.

Hiro:
>>380767
>Do you have any recommandation for captcha service?
>to reserve 4chan servers resources is important.

Anon:
>>380781
>Yahoo captcha is pretty great.

Hiro:
>>380791
>Thanks, I'll check.

Hiro:
>>380851
>It's the reason we use google.
>"yahoo's captcha will likely not be able to serve the number of captchas we require"

Anon:
>>380856
>kana captcha hiro

Hiro:
>>380858
>I think it is a site for English-speakers.

He knows captcha is shit. He needs a solution for the servers.

Just realize that hiro has heard this issue.
>>
>>382194
People say this, but they don't realize that 4chan is basically irrelevant nowadays
>>
If Captcha bothers you, you make too many posts.

You could also buy a 4chan pass.

You could also install 4chanX which makes it really easy to reenter a failed captcha.
>>
>>382190
>I meant when this site was actually active and decently established/moderated
Didn't know there were only 300 people here back in 2010

As for M-less links, the only people that spammed m-less links were /b/tards linking fucked up shit like the guy fucking an alligator or the pseudo-snuff film of the asian girl getting suffocated in the vacuum bag.
>>
>>382200
Irrelevant doesn't mean it doesn't have traffic though. The data might be a bit outdated but still relatively high.
http://www.4chan.org/advertise
Unless 4chan suddenly drop off the face of the world, it'll still be more than enough people to warrant spam
>>
>>382217
>like the guy fucking an alligator
That was hot though.
>>
>>382217
>Contributing to the site is bad
>Negotiating with terrorists
>Using bloatware-X
>>
>>382182
>spam by hand (as in your example)
Are you LITERALLY retarded?

That is not BY HAND, that is with proxies and bots. Those all came up within minutes of each other.
>>
File: 1419222566899.jpg (64 KB, 753x538) Image search: [Google]
1419222566899.jpg
64 KB, 753x538
>>382186
I love it when liberal cucks who start posts with "I love it when" don't remember that Moot said Captcha was a "Temporary Measure"

Then he rolled out the 4chan Pa$$ system a year and a half later
>>
Well, captcha has failed for the past ten minutes.
>>
File: 1442635694459.png (710 KB, 1459x650) Image search: [Google]
1442635694459.png
710 KB, 1459x650
>>383580
Same here.

>Oy veh, not good enough, we need MULTIPLE SOLUTIONS from you goy
>oh well I guess its good enough but uh erm uhh THE CAPTCHA SYSTEM MALFUNCTIONED

>SOLVE IT AGAIN, GOY

>SOLVE IT AGAIN, YOU FILTHY GENTILE GOY

Oh wait, here's more kikery:

>2010 brought wave upon wave of spam in the form of JavaScript worms and affiliate link spammers, and the state of the boards reached a new low. After months of trying to mitigate the spam through various means, we resorted to implementing reCAPTCHA across the image boards, intending it to be a temporary fix.

Fast forward two years...

>Starting today we'll be offering 4chan Passes as way of supporting the site. You'll find more details at the linked page, but essentially a Pass will allow you to bypass entering a CAPTCHA when posting on the image boards.

https://www.4chan.org/news?all#oldnews
>>
>>382151
Didn't read whole thing but looks at the twitter page for 420chan, there are a dozen spams daily because they have no captcha system, nb.
>>
Anyone who doesn't know why captcha is necessary clearly wasn't around before its introduction. Spambots ran fucking rampant, fuck that shit. I don't care if the google overlords are controlling the world with the help of captcha as a result, never fucking remove captcha. Except image captcha, fuck that smartphone bullshit. Good thing you can still use text captcha.
>>
>>383604
And anyone who reposts the "if you hate captcha you weren't here 4 the AnT spam so fuk off MY 4chan newfag" meme doesn't remember that j00t expressly said that captcha was a TEMPORARY MEASURE

You literal cuckold.
>>
>>383605
If you don't have captcha you let any chucklefuck with a spambot wipe the whole board. The textboards suffered from this.

I don't give a shit what moot said; without CAPTCHA the site would be dead.
>>
>>383605
It being "temporary" is irrelevant to the fact that an hourly or daily captcha could easily be filled in a script and then we'd get bombarded with spam all day until the captcha changed, you dumb dick. The new captcha auto completes after multiple successes anyway.
>>
>>382199
Good
>>
>>383611
>The new captcha auto completes after multiple successes anyway.

Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>383614
Maybe if you stopped browsing 4chan on incognito so your parents don't see you wouldn't sound like such a special ed student.
>>
>>383611
>The new captcha auto completes after multiple successes anyway.
I've only ever had this happen on my phone.a
>>
>>383595
>>383580
I've had ReCaptcha fail completely for upwards of 20 times. It's fucking awful.
>>
>>383616
I browse 4chan in Google Chrome while signed in to my Google account.

It still fails all the time.
>>
>>382151
>>383619
If you're getting the outlined white captchas like in OP you're being trolled by the CAPTCHA service. I've put in a hundred of those and not succeeded (and I never have trouble with the regular looking ones).

I think it means you're on a blacklist.
>>
>Can someone please give me a rational reason for requiring captcha to be filled out with every single post?
Because the temptation to resurrect some fun bots would be too strong.
>>
>>382182
>There are many decently large chan sites with no or little capatcha protection that do not seem to have any of this sort of trouble
Because they either have a team of paid mods or not even one thousandth of 4chan's traffic.
>>
File: 1430919043472.jpg (436 KB, 1182x966) Image search: [Google]
1430919043472.jpg
436 KB, 1182x966
>>383611
I never suggested we move towards an hourly or daily captcha, you cuck. Don't put words in my mouth.

>>383607
I never suggested we should get rid of it either, you straw-grasping loser.

Do you guys know how to read?
>>
>>383649
>Do you guys know how to read?
One presumably you have some sort of better alternative in mind given how hard you're whining about it.
>>
File: 1442053023653.png (139 KB, 547x686) Image search: [Google]
1442053023653.png
139 KB, 547x686
>Which on any decent board is nearly nonexistant and will almost definitely continue to be so even with a system where you only have to fill one out every so often, or so many posts.
Pic relate, when moot tried to remove captcha and advertisers came here to mass spam the fuck out of 4chan. We all know that boards with quality discussion won't spam themselves, the problem is that other boards (specially /pol/, /b/ or /s4s/) WILL raid boards without catpcha.
However, I think Hiro should install a better captcha system. Someone redpill him on Google.
>>
>>383652
>You have to have a solution to what you're whining about in order to whine
Says who? Says you?

fuck you, loser. This is /qa/, it's expressly for whining.
>>
>>383653
He looked into using Yahoo during yesterday's thread and they said that they were not accepting to handle 4chan levels of traffic.

At this point unless you want to set up your own captcha verification server and lend it to 4chan you're probably stuck with Google.
>>
>>383654
>fuck you, loser. This is /qa/, it's expressly for whining.
No, it's for questions and answers.
Where the fuck did you fucking retards read that /qa/ was /q/ 2.0?
>>
>>383655
We could try using cripplechan's, not like enter one every 24 hours, but an easy to type captcha
>>
>>383656
Well I've been lurking here for the past three months and all you faggots do is whine about what you want deleted/banned/wordfiltered/IP blocked.

Fucking cockbreath loser.
>>
>>383656
>Where the fuck did you fucking retards read that /qa/ was /q/ 2.0?
I blame hiro for actually posting here. They think that it is /q/ because there is a slim change he may actually reply to a thread.
I don't get why they think the mods really care what is being said here and will actually give a response. Is nothing in the rules or anything said in the past to make them do that.
>>
>>383658
4chan's servers wouldn't be able to support the load.
No captcha provider other than google wouldn't.
>>
>>383664
>No captcha provider other than google wouldn't.
*No captcha provider other than google would.
>>
File: 1447041133.jpg (136 KB, 691x680) Image search: [Google]
1447041133.jpg
136 KB, 691x680
>>383655
Why the fuck can't 4chan just create it's own captcha like 8ch?
>>
File: 1438708784549.png (61 KB, 646x822) Image search: [Google]
1438708784549.png
61 KB, 646x822
>>383664
>4chan can support a million+ posts a day
>still can't support its own captcha service
explain
>>
>>383668
Someone said on /qa/ (who therefore must be an expert) mentioned that serving static content is cheap but image processing is expensive.
>>
>>383667
Because then rather than Google doing the hundreds of thousands of captchas it would all be done on 4chan's servers. I don't expect the servers here can support it plus I expect someone will spend all their time trying to find an exploit that then the dev needs waste time on fixing.
>>
>>382207
>If Captcha bothers you, you make too many posts.
Capcha doesn't particularly bother me and this is still the most retarded argument I've ever heard.
>>
>>383668
Generating an image is very expensive in terms of CPU time.
>>
>>383667
>>383658
I don't understand what's the point of that captcha, the spammer can just fill it and start to spam. It's literally useless.
>>
>>383677
My guess it's there to fight off the bots run by commercial spammers, which rather than being tailored for a given site simply look for anything with a "post" form and go to town on it.

I opened a personal Wikipedia project and within days it was overrrun by commercial spam edits.
>>
>>383679
As I said, it's useless. You can pay one guy to type the captcha and then run the spam bot. With two proxies, you can fuck up most of boards there.
>>
>>383677
>>383683
Wonder if the old DelayClose program could be modified to show how shit it is. It sure showed how bad things can get back in 2011 with accelspam, but seems people have forgotten that. /a/ was unusable for a time since it pushed every thread off it when it was in use.
>>
>>383683
I'm not talking about people actually trying to subvert 8ch, but Chinese spammer #1857634 running a bot for fun and profit.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.