[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does 4chan not have rangebans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1445776985164.gif (2 KB, 168x228) Image search: [Google]
1445776985164.gif
2 KB, 168x228
It would get rid of 95% of ban evaders.
>>
They do, which leads to great comedic situations like 75% of Australia being banned from /mu/.
>>
>>370493
Then why do the majority of ban evaders still actively brag how easy it is to evade by resetting your router? Are there actually ISPs who simply give you an entirely new IP instead of one inside an acceptable range?
>>
>>370503
If you fucking used range bans often, you'd quickly ban most posters and leave the site devoid of anyone
>>
>>370481
>Why does 4chan not have rangebans?
lurk more
>>
>>370509
>mobile
Ah yes, I forgot that existed. Worst addition to the internet to date.

>>370513
My ISP assigns a different range for every household. Do understand that there's a possible total of 4,228,250,625, or 4.2 billion IPs, with a maximum of 16,581,375 (16.5 million) ranges.

According to google statistics, 4chan has a monthly traffic of 18 million unique users.

The collateral damage would be minimal, but that's if every ISP does the same thing as mine, which I assumed it did since it's very logical.

>>370519
All I've ever seen are country or ISP bans, not IP range bans. Either way, your post isn't actually contributive in any way so I implore you to go back to /b/, thank you.
>>
>>370534
Then it may just be necessary collateral damage.
>>
>>370525
>Do understand that there's a possible total of 4,228,250,625, or 4.2 billion IPs, with a maximum of 16,581,375 (16.5 million) ranges.
And I could see at-least 1 - 2 billion being filled up within a year if rangeban are used regularly. You'd only fuel peoples desire to shitpost to ruin it for everyone else

>which I assumed it did since it's very logical.
And I"m going to assume the majority don't because thats logical

>The collateral damage would be minimal
>hey this single guy is shitposting lets fucking rangeban him and fucking punish a bunch of fucking innocent anons for no fucking reason

>Either way, your post isn't actually contributive in any way so I implore you to go back to /b/, thank you.
>tripfag ask something stupid and thats semi-common knowledge
>no lurk the fuck moar
>u-u arnt contriubuting anyway anon fucking spoonfeed me or go back to /b/
Why are tripfags always the most fucking retarded
>>
>>370554
>1-2 billion
>half of all ipv4 ips in the world through 4-8 million rangebans
mate...

>hey this single guy is shitposting lets rangeban him
Rangebans are extreme cases for repeated ban evasion. It would probably not even happen more than once a week, except for an initial purge. At most, there will be a couple ten thousands of people who'd get caught in said purge, with maybe one thousand or so per every subsequent rangeban. It's a very, very small price to pay for the sake of stability on the website. 0.00005% of the total userbase, to be exact.

>how dare you tell me to go back to /b/! all tripfags are dumb!
Right. You can leave now.
>>
>>370564
>his malware redirects
>his
You're aware that 4chan's advertisement system is self served, right? Anyone with a bit of hacking expertise can find an exploit on the website and integrate it into an "advertisement". It's beyond Hiroyuki's control.
>>
>>370562
I made a spelling mistake faggot, that should be obvious, retard

Rangebans are already used in extreme cases. They shouldn't be used for any cases but the extreme were there isn't any other solution to stop the poster. There isn't anything like that right now. Fuck you, I live in Australia, so I'd probably get caught those "0.00005%" of posters. I'm not going to banned from a few posters doing simple shitposting that can be easily solved with other methods. Your idea is stupid and reeks of ignorance, because rangebans are already used

>Right. You can leave now.
I think you first, attention whore. All tripfags are dumb, because you are cancerous attention whores and I am yet to see a tripfag post without being retarded. Like you are in this case. You're completely ignorant like a newfag of something simple. lurk moar

>>370570
>It's beyond Hiroyuki's control.
It is in Hiro's control, because Hiros the one who added the non-self serve ads
>>
>>370573
Exploits aren't always seen, bucko. An exploit tends to have a lifespan of a few weeks. It just depends on how fast the developers manage to patch the exploit.

I assure both you and >>370576 that deliberately putting malware on your website's front page is an invitation to being blacklisted by security systems, google and plenty of other things that would severely harm 4chan as a whole.

There is absolutely no possible reason why this would be voluntary on Hiroyuki's part. It's an exploit, and someone abused it through a self serve ad.

>>370576
>I made a spelling mistake, that should be obvious
Actually, it wasn't. It could've been possible you just weren't really aware of the world's population.
>rangebans are already used
Not enough, then. There's still too many router-reset braggarts.

And for your information, judging from your childish barrages of insults and pointless flames, having you banned would actually be a good thing for this website.

>Buzzword buzzword /b/ meme more buzzwords /b/ meme
Won't even bother replying to this, you're too dense to make you understand your own behavior.
>>
>>370583
>It's an exploit, and someone abused it through a self serve ad.
It's not a self-serve ad. Hiro is using a third-party ad service (that I guess OTHER people, usually asshole advertisers, are serving themselves with, kind of...) who doesn't vet their ads for stupid shit like javascript redirects.
>>
>>370583
>its an exploit
Its fucking not. Hiro added a ad service to the fucking site that has a status as providing malware ads. Go to >>362590
Stop talking about shit you know nothing about

>Actually, it wasn't. It could've been possible you just weren't really aware of the world's population.
>hit a key two away by mistake
>nah you must just be retard

>Not enough, then. There's still too many router-reset braggarts.
No, its used enough. It should only be used for extreme cases were a rangban is the only way to stop shit. Everything else can be solved with other methods without fucking catching innocent anons. Even more so since rangebans cant be fucking appealed

>judging from your childish barrages of insults and pointless flames, having you banned would actually be a good thing for this website.
Unfortunately for you, I only talk like this to people who talk like retards, people who suggest retarded things, people who start doing it first or tripfags. There is also nothing wrong with using insults, don't be such a sensitive child, you faggot

>calling a tripfag out for what he is is buzzwords
Nice
>>
>>370503
Because you can only range ban ISPs with a small browser base like Venezuela

By example they tried to range ban argentine ISPs due to a raid and they practically raped the feedback form because you had +200 unrelated users who couldn't post.
>>
>>370543
>as long as it doesn't affect me, it's fine
>>
File: 1444846958215.png (39 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
1444846958215.png
39 KB, 900x700
>>370481
I got banned multiple times because some perv on /jp/ and other board couldnt stop asking for titties and it looks like I got his IP somehow.

A rangeban would ruin me.
>>
>>370503
Do you want to ban an entire ISP with millions of posters because one guy posted cp or what?
>>
>>370481
>tripfagging
Stop that
>>
>>370481
I'm not even bothering to quote each of your stupic shit, so let's start from scratch

4chan DOES have range bans. What the fuck do you think country-wise or ISP-wise bans are?
Now, you seem to think that you can realistically narrow it down by banning a sub-set of an ISP's IP's... but how? Even if someone's particular house only gets IP's within a small range, how are the 4chan servers supposed to know the precise range? I don't think the internal workings of every ISP are exposed in a standarized manner so that the chins can compute it, and even if such is the case, go ahead, code it yourself, make yourself usefull

Also, from time to time it does happen that an old ban falls on an innocent person. If you were to range-ban, that would increase dramatically. It is impractical.

when someone tells you to lurk more, they are telling you that you could have educated yourself.
so do lurk more please.

also, "lurk more" is going to make a come back, so be warned
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.