[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final solution for the General problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: JAOEYh3.jpg (324 KB, 1778x1000) Image search: [Google]
JAOEYh3.jpg
324 KB, 1778x1000
Something needs to be done about generals on 4chan. They're taking over every board on the site. /jp/ and /g/ in particular have been hit really badly, with most of the first page covered in generals.

When are we going to do something about this? They go against 4chan's purpose of temporary, disposable threads and encourage famewhores and tripfriends. They need to be either eradicated from 4chan or have a strict limit (like only one thread per week).
>>
"I don't like it when people have threads that they like that I personally don't like."

Get with the times, old man. I bet you still use the word "epic".
>>
>>369628
>"I don't like it when people have threads that they like that I personally don't like."
When general threads become thinly veiled chatrooms with non-content they go against the rules of the board and have no reason to exist.
And when they aren't acting like a chatroom they are basically full of daily doses, shitposting, image dumps, fanfiction and roleplay shit.
>>
>>369635
>daily doses
classic /jp/

>shitposting
classic /jp/

>image dumps
classic /jp/

>fanfiction
only MGG

>roleplay shit
only MGG

and maybe BMSG they get up to all kinds of shit in there
>>
>>369635
Roleplay is only illegal on /mlp/. Generals are legal everywhere except /v/.

Again, get with the times.
>>
>>369642
You forgot to refute the other stuff. At least this anon >>369636 actually went through it all.
When you have threads with people saying goodnight to each other then I am pretty sure that goes against rules like >>>/a/rules/1
>>
>>369636
>>fanfiction
>only MGG
>
>>roleplay shit
>only MGG

Is actually the main general I am concerned about as it is basically reverting back to the old monster girl general that was moved to /jp/.
But also places like the JOJO general are getting really bad.
>>>/a/134355488
>>>/a/134355787
>>>/a/134373772
Posts like these use to be deleted but are now left up.
>>
>>369626
Is that Yuudachi?
>>
>>369646
Why are you coaching me on how to argue with you?

Whatever.

>Daily doses
Not against any rules on any boards anywhere.

>Shitposting
Not against any rules anywhere. (I agree with you that this is bad but it's nigh-impossible to tell the difference between an actual shitpost and a low quality post by a well meaning person who disagrees with you)

>Image Dumps
100% Encouraged. This is an image board. Post images. If you want to actually discuss a topic, go to reddit you fucking loser.

>fanfiction
Not against the rules anywhere. What do you have against original content?

>Roleplay
Only against the rules on /mlp/.
>>
>>369712
>Why are you coaching me on how to argue with you?

Because just addressing half the argument means that you haven't really made much of an argument.

>Not against any rules on any boards anywhere.
Yet they get deleted a lot of the time. Example being the the "I want to kill this fucking cunt" guy from Yahari threads.

>Not against any rules anywhere.
Is pretty arguable >>>/global/rules/3 and >>>/global/rules/6 cover that.

>100% Encouraged
No they are not. Mods have removed pure image dump threads before as well.

>If you want to actually discuss a topic, go to reddit you fucking loser.
Don't even know why you brought up reddit.
If you wan't to image dump use boards like /c/. It even says certain image dumps are meant to go there while discussion goes on /a/.
>>>/c/1990691
>Finally, as much as /a/ is a discussion board, /c/ is a board for sharing images.

>Not against the rules anywhere. What do you have against original content?
When it is low quality shit then yes. Can go against >>>/global/rules/6 if it is really bad.

>Only against the rules on /mlp/.
If they are avatar fagging (as with most RP stuff) with it then >>>/global/rules/13
>>
>>369739
Who brought up /a/? It wasn't me.

I'm talking about 4chan in general, because that's what OP was talking about.

>If they are avatar fagging (as with most RP stuff) with it then >>>/global/rules/13

Nobody said avatarfagging.

---

I see now that OP failed to specify that he was only talking about /a/. See, pri mentioned /jp/ and /g/ but not /a/ so I was confused.

I have no business discussing /a/. If /a/ wants to ban generals within its walls, it can. Have a nice day.
>>
>>369744
OP here (I haven't posted in this thread until now). I did not specify /a/ I would like to see ALL generals eradicated as they are as one anon said, chatrooms and go against the spirit of what 4chan is supposed to be.
>>
>>369771
What "4chan is supposed to be" isn't for you to decide.

4chan WAS supposed to be a supplementary image dump for the Something Awful community. Everything 4chan is has emerged from that.

4chan isn't SUPPOSED to be anything in particular. We adjust our view with the times as the world evolves.

Get with the times, old man. I bet you still use the word "epic".
>>
>>369771
OP, is that Yuudachi?
>>
>>369628
Except, that's not the reason why they should be stopped. Generals are cancer, simple as that. They go against the nature of how the site is supposed to be. I shouldn't even need to state this shit, you should already know it. Even fucking moot has said its a problem. Generals are nothing more than pointless threads that get made over and over and over and over and over and fucking over again. They have the same people, the same content, the same op, the same 'furst!!!', the same shitposting, the same questions, the same answer. Generals are a constant same shit 24/7 that's only alive because 'why the fuck not lets have a thread up all the time because what am i meant to do then!'. After the regulars to the general get bored of doing the same shit, they turn it into a chatroom. They fucking rp, erp, fanfiction, circlejerk, spawn tripfags, constant image dumps, general faggotry and then come out of the general and spread the stupid shit outside of the general. All that shit falls under GR 3 and 6.

Generals are cancer and the culture for it needs to be killed. They bring nothing to the table except bringing down the quality of the site

>>369712
>If you want to actually discuss a topic, go to reddit you fucking loser.
>lel 4chan is for lel shitposting meme xd le reddit is for le serrs busness!

No, how about you fucking shove your fucking head up your arse and fucking crush it. You fucking piece of shit. 4chan isn't a shitposting toilet, its for discussion. If you love reddits dick so much, how about you fuck back off to it and stop shitting up fucking 4chan

>>369776
>4chan WAS supposed to be a supplementary image dump for the Something Awful community.
4chan was made so moot could discuss anime with his SA buddies, moron
>>
>>369958
>Lies.

No. Not true. Sorry.
>>
>>369973
Nothing is a lie there reddit-kun. If you want to be a faggot, atleast prove how I'm lying
>>
>>369977
Okay. If you want me to autistically go through your post sentence by sentence and greentext the whole thing I will. I got nothing better to do. Fuck it.

>>369958
>Except, that's not the reason why they should be stopped.
They shouldn't be stopped.
>Generals are cancer, simple as that.
No they're not.
>They go against the nature of how the site is supposed to be.
No they don't.
>I shouldn't even need to state this shit, you should already know it.
It's not true.
>Even fucking moot has said its a problem.
Moot is not a philosopher king or a god.
>Generals are nothing more than pointless threads that get made over and over and over and over and over and fucking over again.
That is not unique to generals.
>They have the same people, the same content, the same op, the same 'furst!!!', the same shitposting, the same questions, the same answer.
That is not unique to generals.
>Generals are a constant same shit 24/7 that's only alive because 'why the fuck not lets have a thread up all the time because what am i meant to do then!'.
The same can be said of all boards. Generals have OC in them all the time too.
>After the regulars to the general get bored of doing the same shit, they turn it into a chatroom.
People do that in other threads too. Not unique to generals.
>They fucking rp,
Not against the rules.
>erp,
Not a problem.
>fanfiction,
OC is encouraged.
>circlejerk,
Not unique to Generals.
>spawn tripfags,
Not unique to Generals.
>constant image dumps,
This is a good thing. 4chan is an image board. Post images.
>general faggotry
Not unique to generals.
>and then come out of the general and spread the stupid shit outside of the general.
That problem, as you've described, would only get worse if you banned generals, like last time moot deleted /r9k/.
>All that shit falls under GR 3 and 6.
Rule 6 is up to interpretation and rule 3 simply isn't true.

(Continuing)
>>
continued from >>369992

>Generals are cancer and the culture for it needs to be killed.
No it isn't. The real cancer is people bitching about stuff. Let people enjoy their subcommunities and stay the fuck out of them.
>They bring nothing to the table except bringing down the quality of the site
Only in your opinion. The people in the generals love the generals. They are popular and full of original content. I'm sorry that you hate seeing the same thread every day but you are in the vocal minority. Grow up.

>>lel 4chan is for lel shitposting meme xd le reddit is for le serrs busness!
4chan is an image board. You're here to post images. This is not your personal hugbox where everybody agrees with you. If you want that, go make your own board. I recommend Reddit as you can make your own subreddit where everybody agrees with you and if they don't you can downvote them.
>No, how about you fucking shove your fucking head up your arse and fucking crush it. You fucking piece of shit. 4chan isn't a shitposting toilet, its for discussion. If you love reddits dick so much, how about you fuck back off to it and stop shitting up fucking 4chan
:^)

>4chan was made so moot could discuss anime with his SA buddies, moron
Lies and falsehoods. It was made to post images. That's why it's an imageboard.
>>
>>369992
>>369994
>Moot is not a philosopher king or a god.
He's not, but he's the founder of the site. He knows better than anyone how to run the site and has a better understanding of its problems. It's not a problem because he brought it up, he brought it up because its a problem and anons have been saying this for many years

>That is not unique to generals.
It is, as thats what a fucking general is. A thread that gets made over and over again right after it gets bumped off. 'Daily Dose' that are only made once a day, are still generals

>That is not unique to generals.
This one is. Threads that aren't made all the fucking time, when made, always have different people in them. As a result, the content of them is always different, even if its slightly similar, its not the same

>The same can be said of all boards.
Threads that are fucking kept up constantly are generals

> Generals have OC in them all the time too.
AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>People do that in other threads too. Not unique to generals.
People doing shit like going 'good night anons im tired' is something unique to fucking generals

>rp erp fanfiction
These are all against the fucking rules. Ask the fucking mods. Fucking ask the monstergirlfags on /jp/. They got banned from /a/ for doing exactly that. Because its against the rules

>circlejerk
Do you even know what this is

>spawn trips
Generals spawn the majority of trips

>image dumps
These are against the rules. That's why there is image dumping boards, as they don't contribute to discussion

>would only get worse if you banned generals, like last time moot deleted /r9k/.
No it wouldn't. Generals are threads, not boards. They are incredibly easy to snuff out

>GR
Rping and shit is off-topic and 6 isn't debatable. These threads don't bring anything to the table

>Let people enjoy their subcommunities and stay the fuck out of them.
There shouldn't be any fucking subcommunities. Threads aren't boards
>>
>>369994
>4chan is an image board. You're here to post images. This is not your personal hugbox where everybody agrees with you. If you want that, go make your own board. I recommend Reddit as you can make your own subreddit where everybody agrees with you and if they don't you can downvote them.
Good job missing the point you fucking moron. General are cancer, this isn't 'i dont agree with opinions' shit. You suggested reddit, because thats obviously where you came from

>Lies and falsehoods. It was made to post images. That's why it's an imageboard.
Nice job remaking history. 4chan was orginally /b/ - random and anime because moot made it to discuss his anime shit. It's a image board because moot was such a fucking weeb that he ripped fucking futabas code
>>>/q/586461
>What "issue"? Complaining about anime on a site that was /founded/ to discuss Japanese culture?
Enjoy your example

You're the sort of person who probably fucking defends posting a OP with a twatter/fageddit/shitbook/gaymblr screenshot thats also linking to a clickbait blogsite
>>
>>370007
>H
what the fuck
capital letters
do you think this is highschool
nobody grading you nigga
>e's not,
apostrophes and commas to what the fuck
hahahahahhaahah you think anybody gives a single fuck about your correct punctuation you know how fucking gay you look right now what the hell
>ut he's the founder of the site. He knows better than anyone how to run the site and has a better understanding of its problems
who gives a shit what the founder thinks
your dad and mom made you but i dont see you doing everything they say right now why are you even posting on 4chan when you should be studying up for church tomorrow like god fucking wants you too oh right because the creators dont mean jack shit is why fuck you go suck the founding fathers cocks
moot doesnt know shit and thats why he left
he couldnt monetize us and so he sold us to hiro moot doesnt know jack shit about this website he left thinking fucking furries were a big deal anymore for crying out loud
>It's not a problem because he brought it up, he brought it up because its a problem and anons have been saying this for many years
lemme clue you in on a little secret
whenever somebody bitches and moans about something theres a hundred people who dont giiiiive a shit
unless you can prove to me that more than ten percent of the board is radicalized against something
which judging by the speed of qa doesnt appear to be the case
then aint noooooobody giving a shit about generals except for you
you wanna know whos posting the same shit day in and day out
its whining complaining ass pieces of baby shit like you
youre so caught up in being pathetic that you forget theres a world outside you
just turn off the damn screen hahahahhaha
if youre so offended just leave
i dont even need to show you the door because its all around you
hahahahhahaa
>>
File: 1442045280851.png (545 KB, 630x720) Image search: [Google]
1442045280851.png
545 KB, 630x720
General threads are anti-4chan on a conceptual level. Look at how this site operates. There is a limited amount of thread space per board, threads no longer bump after reaching a specific amount of posts, you can no longer post images in a thread after a specific amount of images was posted, once a thread goes past page 10 it 404s (well archives for a short bit and then 404s) and isn't (officially) available anymore.

The site is designed in such a way to have threads last only for a short while and then get replaced by other threads.

The concept of general threads was literally created to circumvent this, to continue a thread that should have died. Now, there's nothing wrong with making a second thread to discuss a subject when the first one dies, but that's only the case when there is actually something to discuss. Most general threads are permanent generals - they're always up, at any time of the day, every day of the week. And no matter how interesting something is, it's literally impossible to have discussions about it going.

And so for the generals to survive, they need to keep getting bumped. Which is what leads to people posting in them even when they have nothing on topic to add, just for the sake of posting. And that's why generals have a lot more garbage in them than even the (already garbage filled) average threads, since people have nothing on topic to add but they feel the need to post so they just meme, circlejerk and spam copypastas. A lot of this would be alleviated if generals were restricted to only one a week, but since people who post exclusively in general threads are probably the majority of the site these days, that's probably never going to happen.
>>
>>370019
I disagree with you and here's why.

"Not anymore."

Seriously. You could argue that the web was supposed to be static because HTML 1.0 didn't have javascript or forms.

Not anymore. They invented things that circumvented that. They added POST, some asshole invented PHP, we got Javascript, and now the web has these terrible laggy piece of shit feature-rich multimedia programs.

4chan has archives built into the dang website now. Explain that shit. We've got an offshore site that archives every thread ever for every single board.

And you wanna know something else? Non-general threads, on average, are far worse than general threads. For every 1 concurrent running general that bumps itself ad infinitum, there's a hundred bait and troll threads. Go look at your average /v/ thread and compare the tone and mood of the room to the average /vg/ thread. If you want to stop shitposting, you need to stop the ability to make new posts at all.

Generals are not the problem. They never have been the problem and they never will be the problem.

In the time you took to write the post about why generals are bad, /vg/ probably had 400 ontopic, contributing posts, and at least one of them had some original content artwork from a drawfag.
>>
File: tumblr_nvgz8nhBba1r4089mo1_1280.png (518 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvgz8nhBba1r4089mo1_1280.png
518 KB, 1280x800
>>369813
NO, I distinctly remember the tagging of this image. She's from Touken Ranbu.

I do love yuudachi very much thou!
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.